• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official HP Touchpad Thread of $100 Digital Picture Frames

eastmen said:
going on a trip with my family . Whats the best video player for this ?
You can actually find a trial version on the kalemsoft website, so depending on how long the vacation is, you are good to go with that

Cruzader

Banned
magnificent83 said:
You can actually find a trial version on the kalemsoft website, so depending on how long the vacation is, you are good to go with that
I think the trial works only with a wifi connection. I remember something like that but I may be wrong.

Eric C

eastmen said:
money isn't a big deal if its under $10 bucks

Kalemsoft was $6.99 when I bought it.

Cruzader said:
I think the trial works only with a wifi connection. I remember something like that but I may be wrong.

Yeah the trial version of Kalemsoft only works if you have an internet connection. So if you're using the trial version on vacation you can't watch videos while in airplane mode, or anywhere else where you might not have access to wifi.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
So much progress on the android port this weekend!

http://rootzwiki.com/showthread.php?5682-Build-Progress-Updated-10-4

Fixed Issues
CPU stays on max frequency (Fixed 10/8)
Touchscreen turns off when accelerometer is disabled (Fixed 10/7)
Touchstone works and charges, but no event is raised to show you it's charging (Fixed 10/6)
Touchscreen events (touches) are ignored after sleep (Fixed 10/5)

I'm sure this was mentioned earlier in the thread but someone got 3.0.3/3.0.4 WebOS update. You can't get it anymore unless you bother someone for it

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1290692

Seems like scrolling in the browser is faster lol

2th

Banned
Ericsc said:
Kalemsoft was $6.99 when I bought it.

Yeah the trial version of Kalemsoft only works if you have an internet connection. So if you're using the trial version on vacation you can't watch videos while in airplane mode, or anywhere else where you might not have access to wifi.

yeah i broke down and bought Kalemsoft... very nice stuff. I have the entire series of THE WIRE to watch whenever i want to now loaded onto this thing. If it played anime with the subtitles i would be in heaven.

Fatalah

SteveO409 said:

Fixed Issues
Touchstone works and charges, but no event is raised to show you it's charging (Fixed 10/6)

I'm sure this was mentioned earlier in the thread but someone got 3.0.3/3.0.4 WebOS update. You can't get it anymore unless you bother someone for it

Thank you!

Eric C

2th said:
yeah i broke down and bought Kalemsoft... very nice stuff. I have the entire series of THE WIRE to watch whenever i want to now loaded onto this thing. If it played anime with the subtitles i would be in heaven.
subtitle support is supposedly in the next update.

SteveO409 said:

Fixed Issues

hopefully it keeps going smoothly.

SteveO409 said:

Fixed Issues

Good to see this is coming closer than I expected.

For those in Canada who had orders still alive with Direct Dial, I just got this e-mail the other day. Not a big surprise...

Dear Valued Client,

We have been informed by HP Canada that no more HP Touchpads will be made available in Canada. All inventory has been allocated and despite the many rumours, HP will not be manufacturing any more units.

To our remaining customers that have placed orders and NOT received product we apologize that we are unable ship you a Touchpad. Simply stated, the impact of the announcement to discontinue the Touchpad, coupled with a 75% discount, was underestimated by HP and their partners. As stated in previous communications, this event was something not seen in our industry in recent memory, if at all.

Please be advised that your order and all credit card details have been removed from our processing centre’s system. At no time was your credit card billed for this transaction. If you had not purchased from DirectDial prior to this order your information will be removed from our system. Therefore you will not receive any marketing communications from our organization.

Again we wish to apologize that we are unable to complete your order.

Sincerely,
Greg Bruzas
President/CEO - DirectDial.com

These guys just reeked of incompetence from the start. They actually had an employee who kept people updated for the first week or so on Twitter and on the RedFlagDeals.ca forums, but she got another job and nobody gave any updates after that. Just the other day, on the main RedFlagDeals.ca forum TouchPad thread, she posted about what really happened at Direct Dial:

Hi there, I was the staffer all over the forums and Twitter. Luckily, I got a new job and was done there like a week after this whole thing started...

I did actually get one, as did pretty much all employees (and some got 2 or 3)...

Here's the short version of what went down...

DirectDial doesn't have a warehouse of their own, they use suppliers and ship directly from supplier to buyer. When the boss found out about this whole thing, there were 177 available in our suppiers warehouses and of course we bought them all. Those went to people who ordered like 20 or 50 before even WE knew about it (though they were knocked from 50 to say... 10) and employees.

The boss was going on the notion that there were more in transit (millions), and parts to make millions more in factory in china, so we could get as many as we wanted. So despite EVERY ELSE going "this is a bad idea.....", he's like "sell as many as we can, we'll just put in the order for 500 or 2000 or 20000 or however many we can sell at the end of the day, no worries, we'll be able to get them". So whatever, I was done in a week, I did my job like I was told and did the social media side of selling them.

Well, surprise surprise, we couldn't get many more. We'd get 10 or 50 here and there, but we took orders for 7000... probably filled about 3% in total.

So it was a bad decision, obviously.

I just hate that NO ONE picked up on the social media after I left. They DESTROYED themselves. I think (if I can say it) that I was doing a good job of keeping people happy by keeping up the flow of information, but when I left, there was just... nothing else. Someone should have been making regular updates for you guys. I even left them the log ins.

So it was basically one bad decision and no one interested in keeping up with social media because it's a small company and it'd have to pull someone else off their job.

I agree the whole thing was poorly handled and I'm sorry you had to go through it... i had no part in decision making and after I left, no information. Even the sales reps I still talked to had no information to give to me to give to you guys.

Sorry guys, I hope you all find your Touchpads

Talk about counting your chickens before they've hatched...

Jesus Carbomb

From Water into Guinness
Can we please keep talk of touchpad purchases and ordering in the other thread?

Not trying to rub salt in any wounds here but this thread should be relegated to actual usage of the device.

Joe

posting from touchpad using splashtop. is the scrolling and overall usage being a little sluggish normal?

Joe said:
posting from touchpad using splashtop. is the scrolling and overall usage being a little sluggish normal?

Yes. There's definitely some lag/latency in remotely controlling your PC. But hopefully, they improve it.

1-D_FTW

SteveO409 said:

Fixed Issues

Those were some biggies. Hopefully it'll be ready to roll around the time ICS gets out there.

does anyone use their touchpad for fantasy football? I'm having issues with the ESPN fantasycast site, I can't get it to scroll around to view the bench or other game scores, etc. It worked once, and it was glorious.

other than that, this thing makes fantasy football much more convenient, still happy with my purchase.

^
no, sry

This is nice: [Patch] PDF Reader - Open on the Last Viewed Page

Like many of you I am pretty frustrated by the simple but necessary features missing from the WebOS PDF Reader. At the top of my list is the fact that it doesn't remember the last page you read.

I spent a bit of time working on this issue and attached a version of the IPK that solves this issue. The patched app also includes the awesome goto page patch written by knownboyofno (see this thread) and also the awesome zoom work done by sagipe as discussed here. I intend to make this part of the proposed uber patch being discussed here.

The database I created has support for bookmarks so that will be the next feature I will work on.

I approached this update in a way that makes it pretty easy to reverse, however, it required that I create a database to store the last viewed page for each book and the approach I took requires an ipk install.

Rorschach

The_Reckoning said:
does anyone use their touchpad for fantasy football? I'm having issues with the ESPN fantasycast site, I can't get it to scroll around to view the bench or other game scores, etc. It worked once, and it was glorious.

other than that, this thing makes fantasy football much more convenient, still happy with my purchase.
I use yahoo's tracker and it works well.

SteveO409

No more major issues with regard to the android port

Screen stays blank for 10 second before boot animation appears (Fixed 10/9) (Confirmed in IRC)
Wifi Issues (Fixed 10/9)
Sh exceeds the open file limit (Fixed 10/9)
Sleep Issues for Wifi (Fixed 10/9)

Issues:
msm_rotator does not work correctly. Screen may rotate for video, but becomes distorted.
Sleep Issues
Camera fails to save to disk, does not rotate
Battery Reporting needs calibration
Light Sensor does not work automatically, needs to be turned on manually
No audio support for BT headsets
Add divx codecs for video support
Battery does not shut down device at critical battery level
Airplane mode stays on once turned on, happens because the touchpad doesn't have a real radio interface layer.
Plugging in headphones does not mute external speakers

Fatalah

SteveO409 said:
No more major issues with regard to the android port

Android progress every night I return to this thread, nice!

Though, I'd categorize external speakers not muting upon plugging in headphones as a major bug!

MIMIC

Banned
Angry Birds is so fuckin fun on this thing. Never played it before (other than the old Internet iterations with the penguin). Now I see why people love it :)

fse

MIMIC said:
Angry Birds is so fuckin fun on this thing. Never played it before (other than the old Internet iterations with the penguin). Now I see why people love it :)

yea it's good fun.

Chesskid1

Banned
It’s been far too long since our last official release, but I’m happy to present CyanogenMod-7.1!

New devices since 7.0 included in today’s release are:
[cut]

There are many devices still in beta status (Pyramid, Doubleshot, Shooter, HP Touchpad, Optimus 3D, several more) that we will be promoting to release or release-candidates in the next few weeks when the code is merged to our main branch.

http://www.cyanogenmod.com/blog/cyanogenmod-7-1-released

little blurb about HP Touchpad in latest blog.

Ok, so I was wondering with regards to the current android port to the touchpad, will there be access to tablet versions of apps or are they not available until ICS launches?

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
magnificent83 said:
Ok, so I was wondering with regards to the current android port to the touchpad, will there be access to tablet versions of apps or are they not available until ICS launches?
Not available. Tablet apps require 3.0.

Eric C

venne said:
Love how Amazon's video player works fine, but Netflix doesn't. SMH

Amazon uses Adobe's Flash. Netflix doesn't use flash, they use Microsoft's Silverlight instead.

Netflix would have to make an app like they've already done for android and ipad. Or Microsoft could port silverlight to the webos browser. Or Netflix could switch to flash.

^ All very unlikely to happen. I do wish netflix would make an app though.

If you want netflix your best bet would be to wait and put android on the touchpad.

Chesskid1

Banned
http://review.cyanogenmod.com/#change,8748

"tenderloin is the CM name for the touchpad as shown in their last video, this is the first merge attempt into their main github that ive seen, so release might be soonish :) "

so basically they added a placeholder page to the cyanogenmod coding page for the touchpad.

they have started the process of adding hp touchpad to the cyanogenmod listing?

i'm not sure what this all means but def is a good sign. they are attempting to get cyanogenmod approval or something, idk.

SteveO409

http://twitter.com/#!/dalingrin/status/123661316991881216

"Watch http://kan.gd/1760 for a new video of the Touchpad running CM7. This is one video you definitely don't want to miss =P"

get hyped! I've been waiting for hours but just going to head to bed. Video should be up by the time i wake up though lol

Lyphen said:
Not available. Tablet apps require 3.0.

Mind implode! This kinda really sucks, right? Does it mean most apps will be windowed or stretched?

SteveO409 said:
http://twitter.com/#!/dalingrin/status/123661316991881216

"Watch http://kan.gd/1760 for a new video of the Touchpad running CM7. This is one video you definitely don't want to miss =P"

get hyped! I've been waiting for hours but just going to head to bed. Video should be up by the time i wake up though lol

That was posted in this thread last week.

venne

Ericsc said:
Amazon uses Adobe's Flash. Netflix doesn't use flash, they use Microsoft's Silverlight instead.

Netflix would have to make an app like they've already done for android and ipad. Or Microsoft could port silverlight to the webos browser. Or Netflix could switch to flash.

^ All very unlikely to happen. I do wish netflix would make an app though.

If you want netflix your best bet would be to wait and put android on the touchpad.
Seems like Netflix would be smart to release an app for touchpad. They could use the goodwill. Of course, it would've been better to announce it during the touchpad feeding frenzy. . . .

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottcleland/2011/10/10/netflix-the-unpredictable/

Doopliss

Naked Snake said:
Mind implode! This kinda really sucks, right? Does it mean most apps will be windowed or stretched?
Apps will scale to fill the screen at the proper resolution, they just won't have a tablet optimised interface (stuff like multiple columns in settings).

That was posted in this thread last week.
No, it's a tweet from today saying a new video should be going up soon.

Jesus Carbomb

From Water into Guinness
Free apps. Some decent ones this week.

Music Player (Remix)
Listen. Music Player (Remix) is the next generation music listening experience on webOS.
Promo code: qkxht38733mjhee

Paratrooper HD
Play. Parachute your troopers to safety with Paratrooper HD! The eagerly awaited classic action game!
Promo code: dvmep12115ahldj

Auction Mate Pro
Bid. Your eBay account at a glance! With AuctionMate Pro for eBay you get instant access to the items in your My eBay page, including search, watch, bid and buy.
Promo code: byztp73960rbnbf

Slice It! HD
Think. Slice it! HD is a puzzle game, where you slice different figures into the same ratio (or surface area). Let's do some brain exercise!
Promo code: jajww92436vzdqk

Jesus Carbomb

From Water into Guinness
Music Player Remix is niiiice... Too bad I havn't bothered uploading any music onto my touchpad. I listen mostly through my Google Music account.

Unconditional said:
Appreciate it carbomb. I dunno why hp never sends me these emails.

I'm getting a crack on my speaker also. Glue and tape time!

Damn im getting so paranoid about the cracks, i just bought one of those Screen Protectors, hopefully it will mitigate it.

Londa

Banned
Jesus Carbomb said:

Music Player (Remix)
Listen. Music Player (Remix) is the next generation music listening experience on webOS.

Paratrooper HD
Play. Parachute your troopers to safety with Paratrooper HD! The eagerly awaited classic action game!

Auction Mate Pro
Bid. Your eBay account at a glance! With AuctionMate Pro for eBay you get instant access to the items in your My eBay page, including search, watch, bid and buy.

Slice It! HD
Think. Slice it! HD is a puzzle game, where you slice different figures into the same ratio (or surface area). Let's do some brain exercise!

Thank you. Got the two games and the music player

Like Londa and itwasTuesday, I got 'em all except the auction one. I'll save that for someone who really wants it. :)

I like this trend of me actually being able to use the promo codes in time, before they expire...

Jesus Carbomb said:

Music Player (Remix)

Paratrooper HD

Auction Mate Pro

Slice It! HD

Thanks, got all but the ebay app.

Counting the days till Android comes along so I don't have to resort to hoping I catch the code giveaways to get games to divert the heavy kindle and comicshelf use the Touchpad currently receives

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
OK, first level impressions of paratrooper game. Don't like how you have to tap the plane for the paratroopers to drop. Think it would work better if it was just tap the screen.

Slice it HD is alright, could explain things a bit better though. Sometimes you need to keep the same shape I think, and others the shape doesn't matter, only area.

Eric C

Yay! I was able to get music player remix.

Thanks for posting the codes. I wish HP would email me the codes so I don't have to find them on the net.

Slice It HD has pretty awesome presentation.

It's a pretty fun/interesting game, though. Would have been worth the $.99.

I don't immediately see any huge benefits of the music player compared to the one built in to WebOS, but I am not a big music listener, so yeah.

Anyone have any ideas on what to do with a new touchpad (friend just received it) and it won't power on. Tried plugging it into wall and pc, won't turn on.

Centurion

Banned
Bearded Dudebro said:
Anyone have any ideas on what to do with a new touchpad (friend just received it) and it won't power on. Tried plugging it into wall and pc, won't turn on.

hold the power button a little longer.

oh and the codes are all dead already :(

Eric C

Bearded Dudebro said:

When I first got my touchpad I had to hold my power button for A LONG TIME before it would turn itself on for the first time, like maybe a minute or more. Someone on precentral said some of the touchpads are in a "deep sleep" and the first time you turn it on you have to hold the power button much longer than you normally would have to otherwise.

If that's not it...

I dunno try plugging it into the wall again and turning the plug the opposite way. I thought I read someone a few weeks ago say their touchpad wouldn't charge if it was plugged in the wrong way.

If that doesn't work leave it plugged in for awhile. And see if the battery charges and you can turn it on later.

Top Bottom