• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official HP Touchpad Thread of $100 Digital Picture Frames

Timan

Developer
I should prob post this in the buy sell thread, but I have a brand new touchstone dock in box that I don't need. If anyone is interested in purchasing it off me, send me a pm (USA). Bought two of em, thinking i'd get another touchpad but never got the 2nd one

elty

Free app when I have to stay at work late... so surprising... or not!

I hope the Android port come sooner than later.

Cruzader

Banned
Kenak said:
Fuck these free apps promotions are such total horse shit. Already expired after a couple hours?
They actually expire within 1 hour thanx to SD. So it is bullshit.

Also they do it when alot of folks are working. Great way to have a fair chance for working people >:|

Actually they do it like before 3PM EST so I and like alot of you, dont get a chance to try and get the apps. Only when they put them out around 6PM is when I can get in on it.

clav

SteveO409 said:
So much progress on the android port this weekend!

http://rootzwiki.com/showthread.php?5682-Build-Progress-Updated-10-4

Fixed Issues
CPU stays on max frequency (Fixed 10/8)
Touchscreen turns off when accelerometer is disabled (Fixed 10/7)
Touchstone works and charges, but no event is raised to show you it's charging (Fixed 10/6)
Touchscreen events (touches) are ignored after sleep (Fixed 10/5)

I'm sure this was mentioned earlier in the thread but someone got 3.0.3/3.0.4 WebOS update. You can't get it anymore unless you bother someone for it

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1290692

Seems like scrolling in the browser is faster lol
Looks like progress has been updated since you posted this.

Wifi works 100%. Yay.

SteveO409 said:
http://twitter.com/#!/dalingrin/status/123661316991881216

"Watch http://kan.gd/1760 for a new video of the Touchpad running CM7. This is one video you definitely don't want to miss =P"

get hyped! I've been waiting for hours but just going to head to bed. Video should be up by the time i wake up though lol

nothing updated as of yet.

Chorazin

Sweet free apps oh wait they're all gone.

I paid for Music Remix a few days ago, totally worth the money. The sound's so good on this thing!

I think i'm done w/ the novelty of this thing unless droid is ported soon. Going to try and trade it for an Acer Iconia tablet, which takes microSD and has video out. Hope the screen on the Iconia is as good as the touchpad. I love how clean this screen is with a few wipes from a clean hand. Absolutely no need for a screen protector.

2th

Banned
eternalthree said:
I think i'm done w/ the novelty of this thing unless droid is ported soon. Going to try and trade it for an Acer Iconia tablet, which takes microSD and has video out. Hope the screen on the Iconia is as good as the touchpad. I love how clean this screen is with a few wipes from a clean hand. Absolutely no need for a screen protector.

not sure why you have to have android on this thing honestly. with splashtop and kalemsoft i can do everything i have ever needed with a tablet. plus the web browser isnt terrible either.

2th said:
not sure why you have to have android on this thing honestly. with splashtop and kalemsoft i can do everything i have ever needed with a tablet. plus the web browser isnt terrible either.

Agreed. Splashtop is amazing lol worth every penny. For brower get advance browser for tabbed browsing. I just use firfox of desktop.

DR3AM said:
if i do it, can i go back to webos?

If you install MoBoot (mentioned in the instructions) you can dual boot WebOS and Android.. it has a nice little bootloader that lets me pick between WebOs, CyanogenMod, Clockwork Recovery, Reboot and Shutdown

Working pretty well so far.. it's clear that there is a lot of optimization that needs to be done on the android side. but it seems to work pretty well, overall.

They even implemented dock mode for when the touchpad is on the touchstone charger.. very slick.

Chesskid1

Banned
i have it installed. runs pretty well.

never used android before and i'm used to webos so i don't really like it. time to figure everything out.

def doesn't look like it was designed for tablets and don't like the soft buttons, launcher, so far.

so much to learn about android!

sfedai0

Banned
Chesskid1 said:

never used android before and i'm used to webos so i don't really like it. time to figure everything out.

def doesn't look like it was designed for tablets.

I was this close to buying the Sony tablet, but android turned me off in comparison to WebOS. Not saying its superior, but the learning curve is much smoother and I seriously missed the card system.

dabig2

Chesskid1 said:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XDmKGmn4vs

new video, entitled CM7 progress update - BT and netflix.

netflix looks fucking awesome on this! In actuality, it's all I really care about in the immediate. Everything else on Android is just gravy.

And yeah, this Android port (2.3) is definitely not designed for tablets. It's for the phones. However, the next version of Android (ice cream sandwich) should be an interesting port.

Somebody should create a new thread for this news imo, since so many have TouchPads. I'll do it if nobody else wants to...

Anyway, from what I understand based on reading various things on webos-internals, the TouchPad is theoretically unbrickable, so I'm not too worried about that. As I was hoping (and sort of expected), the internal memory is shared between OSes, which I enjoy because that means I can use media in both OSes. (I prefer the WebOS music player.)

I'm also very happy because this will be my first experience with Android 2.3.

claviertekky said:
I have a strange feeling that people have us on ignore.
Hahaha, I know the feeling. :(

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
Chesskid1 said:

def doesn't look like it was designed for tablets and don't like the soft buttons, launcher, so far.

so much to learn about android!
Hows the browser for it so far?

SteveO409

I installed novacom drivers and my touchpad is in the USB mode after restarting. Trying to figure out how to use the acmeinstaller now or anything because I don't see a command prompt to make it install CM7

SteveO409 said:
I installed novacom drivers and my touchpad is in the USB mode after restarting. Trying to figure out how to use the acmeinstaller now lol

Browse to your Novacom folder (Mine was C:/Program Files/Palm, Inc) in a command prompt and type "novacom boot mem:// < ACMEInstaller" minus the "s . Should start installing then.

-edit- Put ACMEInstaller into the Novacom folder btw.

Doopliss

I'm having problems installing...
I've put the files in the cminstall directory on the touchpad, rebooted holding vol up to get to the white USB symbol. Then I run cmd.exe, cd to the folder where I unzipped ACMEInstaller and type:
novacom boot mem:// < ACMEInstaller
(the $ is just a Linux/Mac thing, right? [I tried it anyway as well, actually])

All I get is "'novacom' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file."
I'm fairly sure Novacom was installed when I did the WebOS Quick Install tweaks stuff. But I found and ran the Novacom Universal Installer to make sure, rebooted, still getting the same error.

Does anyone know what's going wrong?

Doopliss said:
I'm having problems installing...
I've put the files in the cminstall directory on the touchpad, rebooted holding vol up to get to the white USB symbol. Then I run cmd.exe, cd to the folder where I unzipped ACMEInstaller and type:
novacom boot mem:// < ACMEInstaller
(the $ is just a Linux/Mac thing, right? [I tried it anyway as well, actually])

All I get is "'novacom' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file."
I'm fairly sure Novacom was installed when I did the WebOS Quick Install tweaks stuff. But I found and ran the Novacom Universal Installer to make sure, rebooted, still getting the same error.

Does anyone know what's going wrong?

Browse to where Novacom.exe is located. You need to put ACMEInstaller in there and run the command in cmd prompt from that folder.

Is anyone else finding Flash performance much worse in the CM7 alpha than in WebOS? 720p videos on the desktop version of YouTube are a slideshow for me.

NuclearWinter said:
Is anyone else finding Flash performance much worse in the CM7 alpha than in WebOS? 720p videos on the desktop version of YouTube are a slideshow for me.

Yeah I've noticed this, also Video players don't seem to be able to use HW Acceleration so 720p MKV's run like crap too.

Until they set the build.prop for the Touchpad to some other tablet the Market will only default to apps compatible with like Android 1.6 or something. LOL.

Protip for those in Windows. If you installed the Palm SDK, you should have novacom in your PATH. That means you can be lazy and save precious seconds by only navigating to the folder where the ACMEInstaller file is located, then running the command

Unknown Soldier said:
Until they set the build.prop for the Touchpad to some other tablet the Market will only default to apps compatible with like Android 1.6 or something. LOL.
Oh. :( Well there's always .apk downloading. I know the Amazon market gives you .apk files, and many game developers supply the .apk for a manual install.

SteveO409

Why would you do that?]Protip for those in Windows. If you installed the Palm SDK, you should have novacom in your PATH. That means you can be lazy and save precious seconds by only navigating to the folder where the ACMEInstaller file is located, then running the command

Yeah it was annoying at first to get the CMD to the path file because the default CMD would put me at C:/Users/Steve. Found out you could just go to the file directory and hold down Shift and right click

URL to the picture. I dont know why it always double scales
http://i.imgur.com/AqJ7D.jpg

Londa

Banned
oh wow, I will wait until its stable and all features are working correctly. They even say that its possible to brick your Touchpad with this Alpha 1 version.

Top Bottom