• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official HP Touchpad Thread of $100 Digital Picture Frames

Doopliss

MiloFoxburr said:
Yeah I've noticed this, also Video players don't seem to be able to use HW Acceleration so 720p MKV's run like crap too.
The mp4 files I converted to play on the Touchpad in WebOS play perfectly with hardware acceleration in MX Video Player, streaming over the network. Higher quality MP4s play but are stuttery. MKVs don't play over the network at all, but a main profile DVD rip plays smoothly from the SD storage (again, with HW accel). That's all I've tried so far, might see if MKVs work over the network with a different video player.

Edit: Does anyone know where the files that were already on the Touchpad were moved to? I had some photos and videos just in a folder in the default directory, but I can't find them now.

Firefox works great. Even the alpha version for tablets (Aurora) works pretty well, and it supports add-ons.

I can't wait until CM7 gains full 2D hardware acceleration. It already runs very well as it is, it will be blazing when it's complete.

Edit: Opera Mobile works very well. I prefer it over Firefox. But since the TouchPad Android Market doesn't have it, you'll need to go to Opera's site and download+install it manually.

Londa

Banned
Why would you do that? said:
Firefox works great. Even the alpha version for tablets (Aurora) works pretty well.

I can't wait until CM7 gains full 2D hardware acceleration. It already runs very well as it is, it will be blazing when it's complete.

Oh wow, to have a better browser on the touchpad.....
Its so sad that I really need Internet Explorer (cringe I know) for school. My school only knows how to get online classes to work on Internet Explorer. :(

Doopliss said:
The mp4 files I converted to play on the Touchpad in WebOS play perfectly with hardware acceleration in MX Video Player, streaming over the network. Higher quality MP4s play but are stuttery. MKVs don't play over the network at all, but a main profile DVD rip plays smoothly from the SD storage (again, with HW accel). That's all I've tried so far, might see if MKVs work over the network with a different video player.

Edit: Does anyone know where the files that were already on the Touchpad were moved to? I had some photos and videos just in a folder in the default directory, but I can't find them now.
Hmm I'll try a different mkv later maybe it was just that one.

Your files likely got deleted during the cminstall. There is also a pretty major bug that deletes the files you've put on the touchpad when you switch from webos to android and vice versa. I won't be back on webos so doesn't bother me.

Fatalah

This is the day we've been waiting for, except now I'm scared to install with the bricking warning! To those who took the plunge, I look forward to your impressions. How is browser performance? Is the Android UI fluid and speedy?

Can you connect to your Google account and send over apps via the Market website?

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
Fatalah said:
This is the day we've been waiting for, except now I'm scared to install with the bricking warning! To those who took the plunge, I look forward to your impressions. How is browser performance? Is the Android UI fluid and speedy?

Can you connect to your Google account and send over apps via the Market website?

I haven't notice any bricking potential while installing it. Browser performance is superb but haven't been to any sites with flash so far. It feels good to finally have a scrolling bar lol. Android UI hasn't crash yet either.

Yes you could connect to your google account...I went to the marketplace and downloaded numerous free apps

The Amazon Appstore works great, and it does not have the Android 1.5 limitation thing like the official market.

It's great to put on Amazon Appstore anyway, because they give you a free app a day. I have a good amount of games I got for free because of that... You can download it here.
Fatalah said:

If I understand what you're asking, yes you can. But for some technical reason (that apparently can be fixed in the future), the Market only has apps that work on Android 1.5, so not all of your apps will transfer.

That is not the case with the Amazon Appstore, though. I'm currently installing all of my apps.

Zapages

Londa said:
oh wow, I will wait until its stable and all features are working correctly. They even say that its possible to brick your Touchpad with this Alpha 1 version.

My sentiments exactly and I don't even use the touchpad that much. My Father uses it more and he is more than satisfied with it.

Now I really hope we can get windows 8 on this thing to make it a beast. :)

Eric C

Londa said:
oh wow, I will wait until its stable and all features are working correctly. They even say that its possible to brick your Touchpad with this Alpha 1 version.

Possibility of bricking. Yeah, I think I'm going to wait for a more stable version too.

Doopliss

Just tried Emissary of War, 3D performance seems good. There are occasional stutters but it's mostly very smooth. Totally playable, anyway.

SteveO409 said:
I really miss the card feature from webOS though. Is there anyway to multitask with android?
Hold the home button (either the physical or on-screen one) and it shows your recently used apps.

Ericsc said:
Possibility of bricking. Yeah, I think I'm going to wait for a more stable version too.
They will have a similar warning that with every single release, alpha, beta, stable or whatever. The CM team said they didn't have any bricked Touchpads except a couple that they used for initial testing when they were just starting out, so it probably wouldn't happen unless you do something stupid.

IceCold said:
How's the battery life with android on this?
Bit early to say, isn't it? But for what it's worth:

21jwpxy.png

tino

Banned
I might wait a couple days before I try it.

I know I will spend a lot of man hour to customize the android install so I rather wait for the beta version.

Oh wow. The android version of splashtop remote is so much more responsive and quicker than the webos version. I can barely detect any delay except when typing, and even scrolling is less annoying.

I so want to do this, but I also want to be patient and at least wait for a beta. How does alpha work with something like this? Are fixes like updates where you won't loose any personalizations, or when the beta drops, will I need to reinstall the whole deal?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I updated the OP with the download link. I'll wait for at least beta before I jump though. Should be pretty soon at the speed these guys are working.

Doopliss

Why would you do that? said:
Edit: Opera Mobile works very well. I prefer it over Firefox. But since the TouchPad Android Market doesn't have it, you'll need to go to Opera's site and download+install it manually.
Just want to echo this. The tab handling isn't quite as neat as Firefox's, but it's way more polished and the performance blows Firefox (not to mention WebOS browser) away.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
NuclearWinter said:
Oh wow. The android version of splashtop remote is so much more responsive and quicker than the webos version. I can barely detect any delay except when typing, and even scrolling is less annoying.
Aghhhh im gonna have to double dip for this app then!! Oh well it will be worth it

edit: Luckily it's on sale for $1.99 now!!

Dunlop

doh,

After weeks of my Touchpad being used as a digital picture frame, my wife suddenly loves and uses it everyday.

I will definitely need to hold of until at least a beta for android ; (

Guys, I didn't add moboot to my directory before installing Android. How can I add it now since I can't boot into WebOS to access the USB mode filesystem?

thanks.

edit: never mind. the fact that the cminstall folder was deleted made me think the USB-mounted drive wasn't the same drive as in WebOS. it was. I just re-created the folders and re-ran the ACMEInstaller. All good.

Dreams-Visions said:
Guys, I didn't add moboot to my directory before installing Android. How can I add it now since I can't boot into WebOS to access the USB mode filesystem?

thanks.

Putting the moboot zip file into the cminstall folder and doing the ACMEInstaller step again is supposed to work.

clav

crazy monkey said:
um I will wait till final version is released. Would it be easier to upgrade to ics version if this is installed or is it ok to wait for that?
You can't upgrade to a newer version custom Android build unless you erase the current session or unless the developer makes a specific installer for it.

It's easier to start over.

claviertekky said:
You can't upgrade to a newer version custom Android build unless you erase the current session or unless the developer makes a specific installer for it.

It's easier to start over.

ok so even if i install this it will be easy to uninstall and start over right. Plus I keep webos regardless. Sorry for noob questions.

Eric C

Dreams-Visions said:
anyone know where the Fish live wallpaper used in the video can be found? I need that rippling water in my life.

Someone asked him that on youtube he said search for "koi fish" in the market.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Fuck, stock Gingerbread is such shit. People can knock manufacturer UIs all they want but at least Sense doesn't look like it was designed by an engineer.

DJ_Tet

Banned
SteveO409 said:
Aghhhh im gonna have to double dip for this app then!! Oh well it will be worth it

edit: Luckily it's on sale for $1.99 now!!

I'm going to double dip too. If I buy it off the Android Market on my browser on my PC from this link:

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.splashtop.remote

Will I get a file I can put on the Touchpad that's been hacked to boot Android?

Also, does this hack use dual boot or am I completely losing WebOS? I prefer a dual boot method that doesn't have a chance to brick, so I'm going to hold off on hacking my tablet further.

I do love Splashtop though and want to get the Android app while it's still on sale. Can I buy it now and use it when I get around to putting Android on my touchpad?

edit: Looks like I have to have an approved device to get the app. Guess I'll have to look into the hack. Would be nice to get that free android app of the day from Amazon too.

SRG01

DJ_Tet said:
I'm going to double dip too. If I buy it off the Android Market on my browser on my PC from this link:

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.splashtop.remote

Will I get a file I can put on the Touchpad that's been hacked to boot Android?

Also, does this hack use dual boot or am I completely losing WebOS? I prefer a dual boot method that doesn't have a chance to brick, so I'm going to hold off on hacking my tablet further.

I do love Splashtop though and want to get the Android app while it's still on sale. Can I buy it now and use it when I get around to putting Android on my touchpad?

No, what happens is that the installer will get pushed to whichever account is registered to the Touchpad, and the Touchpad will automatically get it.

Metalmurphy said:
Wow, CM7 is out already? :eek:

Can you dual boot it with webOS?

Yep, be sure to get moboot and have it in cminstall when installing cm7. But there is a bug where anything you put in the media folder is wiped when you change from WebOS to Android and vice versa.

MiloFoxburr said:
Yep, be sure to get moboot and have it in cminstall when installing cm7. But there is a bug where anything you put in the media folder is wiped when you change from WebOS to Android and vice versa.

Seems I need ACME Installer for that but I can't find it anywhere. I found moboot itself but not the ACME installer.

Pretty nice, guys.

Everything working except HBO Go for me (as far as the apps I want). Netflix is fantastic, if not just a liiiiiitle lower res than it could be. 1 freeze. Not bad at all.

good job, CM7 team.

NuclearWinter said:

Oh shit, now I need to have this. Can anyone else confirm these findings?

Londa

Banned
I've come into a little problem with my speakers. After I used my headphones to listen to music this week, my speakers will not play sound when I unplug my headphones. What do I need to do to make my speakers work again?

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Dreams-Visions said:
Pretty nice, guys.

Everything working except HBO Go for me (as far as the apps I want). Netflix is fantastic, if not just a liiiiiitle lower res than it could be. 1 freeze. Not bad at all.

good job, CM7 team.
is the HBO go app telling you the device is you supported?

Eric C

Londa said:
I've come into a little problem with my speakers. After I used my headphones to listen to music this week, my speakers will not play sound when I unplug my headphones. What do I need to do to make my speakers work again?

Try the PulseAudio Restarter downloaded from Preware and see if that helps

Eric C

Londa said:
ok thanks.

Did it work? From your description it sounds like it *COULD* be a bug thats apparently been present on webOS for years. If so the PulseAudio Restarter should fix it every time it happens.

If it doesn't fix it, something else might be going on with your speakers/touchpad.

AwesomeSauce said:
is the HBO go app telling you the device is you supported?
It's installed and booted fine. I went to watch a preview of next week's Boardwalk Empire and it simply never loaded the video. Could never get it to do so, though I logged into the app and saw my viewing options fine.

Londa

Banned
Ericsc said:
Did it work? From your description it sounds like it *COULD* be a bug thats apparently been present on webOS for years. If so the PulseAudio Restarter should fix it every time it happens.

If it doesn't fix it, something else might be going on with your speakers/touchpad.

I will try it now and tell you what happens.

it didn't work :(

Apath

Cruzader said:
They actually expire within 1 hour thanx to SD. So it is bullshit.

Also they do it when alot of folks are working. Great way to have a fair chance for working people >:|

Actually they do it like before 3PM EST so I and like alot of you, dont get a chance to try and get the apps. Only when they put them out around 6PM is when I can get in on it.
Yeah, and I'm not even mad -- 90% of the apps I've seen in the promotion I don't even want. But when you see that they've been available for a short amount of time and you go through the trouble of pulling out the touchpad, turning it on, going to the app store, finding the app, entering your password, entering the long ass code, and then finding out it's expired sucks.

EDIT: People are putting Android on it? Is there an option for having both Android and WebOS on the system?

Kenak said:
Yeah, and I'm not even mad -- 90% of the apps I've seen in the promotion I don't even want. But when you see that they've been available for a short amount of time and you go through the trouble of pulling out the touchpad, turning it on, going to the app store, finding the app, entering your password, entering the long ass code, and then finding out it's expired sucks.

EDIT: People are putting Android on it? Is there an option for having both Android and WebOS on the system?
Yes, in fact there's no option to do anything besides dual boot.
Just know that the alpha is full of bugs, specifically with files. (Most of the data on my TouchPad was deleted, and I didn't back it up, so be careful. Also data might end up missing when switching between WebOS and Android.) There are also many bugs in a lot of applications, and the Android Market only displays a small subset of available apps.

I'm personaly still very happy with it, so it's your call.

Top Bottom