• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official HP Touchpad Thread of $100 Digital Picture Frames

Meh, can't get it to install.

I installed the novacom drivers, but when I reboot the touchpad and press volume up to go into USB mode, no volume shows up on the PC, so I can't navigate to the folder to install ACMEINstaller

Metalmurphy said:
Meh, can't get it to install.

I installed the novacom drivers, but when I reboot the touchpad and press volume up to go into USB mode, no volume shows up on the PC, so I can't navigate to the folder to install ACMEINstaller
You don't put acmeinstaller on the touchpad. Put it in the folder with novacom and run the command.

Apath

Why would you do that? said:
Yes, in fact there's no option to do anything besides dual boot.
Just know that the alpha is full of bugs, specifically with files. (Most of the data on my TouchPad was deleted, and I didn't back it up, so be careful. Also data might end up missing when switching between WebOS and Android.) There are also many bugs in a lot of applications, and the Android Market only displays a small subset of available apps.

I'm personaly still very happy with it, so it's your call.
I waited this long -- I can wait a little longer for a more stable release. Thanks for the feedback.

Dreams-Visions said:
PULSE.

it's so good. best app on the Android market? I'm thinking so.
What's Pulse?

MiloFoxburr said:
You don't put acmeinstaller on the touchpad. Put it in the folder with novacom and run the command.

facepalm.gif

I was reading another guide that said I had to reset my WebOS first? Is that true?

DJ_Tet

Banned
Yeah for under $150 it's a sick piece of hardware. I paid $136 for my 32 gig and would buy another today at $150 without blinking.

dabig2

Dreams-Visions said:
It's an awesome RSS reader.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.alphonso.pulse&hl=en

it's *AMAZING* on the touchpad.

lol, I can't believe these things were selling for < $150. whatdafuck.

Man, at this point I wish that I had grabbed the 32 GB version. 16 is fine....for WebOS since I didn't give a damn about it. But with Android, I'll be running out of space real quick. Looks like I'll have to access most of my media data on the cloud.

And for an alpha version, this thing is pretty damn good. At least for the basic, run of the mill day-to-day stuff. The only true hitch is that the wifi is a bit dodgy. Sometimes it just won't connect - causing me to turn the wifi on and off multiple times or rebooting a few times. =

But anyways, excellent job by the team on this. Can't wait for ICS.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Also, zMooth is a good touch gesture app if you aren't enjoying the notification bar button garbage.

QuickPic is much better than the default gallery Cyanogen includes.

Metalmurphy said:
Got it working, all seems fine except I can't find the Android Market.
:/. You should of put gapps into the cminstall folder too. I think but I might be mistaken you can install it either through the cmrecoverymod thing that installed (reboot into recovery) or using acmeinstaller and just having the gapp zip in the cminstall folder.

http://goo-inside.me/gapps/gapps-gb-20110828-signed.zip that's the gapp package I used. Someone here should really write a guide. Most of the ones online seem to be terrible.

MiloFoxburr said:
:/. You should of put gapps into the cminstall folder too. I think but I might be mistaken you can install it either through the cmrecoverymod thing that installed (reboot into recovery) or using acmeinstaller and just having the gapp zip in the cminstall folder.

http://goo-inside.me/gapps/gapps-gb-20110828-signed.zip that's the gapp package I used. Someone here should really write a guide. Most of the ones online seem to be terrible.

Was just reading that, but I can no longer go into USB mode during boot :/

Metalmurphy said:
Was just reading that, but I can no longer go into USB mode during boot :/
Did you install moboot? That has an option for recovery doesn't it?

If you did install moboot, jump into clockwork mod recovery or whatever it's called. You should be able to flash the zip there easier. Though find a guide somewhere that details it as I'm sure it's possible to mess up the install if you flash wrong.

Metalmurphy said:
I installed moboot but I didn't isntall "update-cwm_tenderloin-1012"

was that it?
Probably should of done that too. I had 4 zip files in my cminstall when I installed it. Moboot, gapps and the two cm zip files.

Check my edit on last post as well if you didn't see it.

really enjoying CM 7 on the touchpad.. firefox mobile nightly build is great, too.

This thing is one of the better android tablets out there..

netflix is working well, too.

Is it possible to edit the build.prop in CM7 to get rid of the "Device is not compatible" msgs? I remember doing something like this for a friends ZTE Blade.

Eric C

I was going to post this earlier, but then I got distracted.

So I installed android, and it seems to run ok. Not perfect but better than I expected for an Alpha release.

It deleted all the music and video files I had on my touchpad. :( Not really that big of a deal though. I'll probably just stick to mostly webOS for now until the BETA version comes out. Hopefully that will be soon, like in a week or two.

SteveO409 said:
I really miss the card feature from webOS though.

I've grown to really like the webOS UI. I'll miss the cards too. I really wish the PalmDroid project got more attention from homebrew developers.

Basically Android apps in android itself run on a VM called Dalvik. Kind of similar to how Java apps on windows and linux run in a Java VM.

The PalmDroid project was attempting to port Dalvik to webOS. If that was successful the android apps would have thier own icons and run just like native webOS apps in their own separate card and everything. So even better than that Chinese guy's android in a card thing.

Several legit companies such Myriad Alien Dalvik and Open Mobile are attempting to do the same thing, but they'll both only sell to device manufacturers not end users.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
So tempting to get android on the touchpad but I will wait.

People that do, how does flash play on web browsers? I spent most of my time using my touchpad watching twitch.tv/justin.tv video game streams.

Godslay

Banned
Petrie said:
I can not figure out how to get Novacom onto my PC. At all.

Download it from the Google site. It's a jar file, so you have to have Java installed for it to run. Once it pops up from the jar, simply click install.

Corran Horn said:
So tempting to get android on the touchpad but I will wait.

People that do, how does flash play on web browsers? I spent most of my time using my touchpad watching twitch.tv/justin.tv video game streams.

I will say that it runs very well, and once you get a good source to do the install it is very easy. Here is the video I followed to get it working. The only thing that they missed is to add the gapps zip file to get the marketplace.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=BLZH8f7leLw

meljeff

freshair said:
This is a dumb question, but how do I get back into Android after rebooting back in webos

Just restart it again and it will take you to the boot loader that automatically defaults to Android.

Godslay

Banned
freshair said:
This is a dumb question, but how do I get back into Android after rebooting back in webos

If you have the dual boot installed it should give you an option for webos, android (cmod), and a couple other menu options. You should simply power down in webos and get these options when it powers on.

freshair

meljeff said:
Just restart it again and it will take you to the boot loader that automatically defaults to Android.

Godslay said:
If you have the dual boot installed it should give you an option for webos, android (cmod), and a couple other menu options. You should simply power down in webos and get these options when it powers on.

Thanks!

Missed part of the readme where it says it changed the default boot to Android now.

meljeff

My question is when I go to the Android Marketplace online it tells me I have no android devices associated with my Google account.

However, if I go into MY LIBRARY I can see all the apps I've downloaded from the Marketplace from the Touchpad why can't I get things from the browser based marketplace?

Godslay

Banned
meljeff said:
My question is when I go to the Android Marketplace online it tells me I have no android devices associated with my Google account.

However, if I go into MY LIBRARY I can see all the apps I've downloaded from the Marketplace from the Touchpad why can't I get things from the browser based marketplace?

Did you do this? It allows you to associate your Google account with the Touchpad.

MiloFoxburr said:

meljeff

Godslay said:
Did you do this? It allows you to associate your Google account with the Touchpad.

That is the crazy part. I did do that and I can snag apps from the Android Market Place on the Tablet its self but not on: https://market.android.com/

It tells me there are no devices associated with my account but if I go into "MY LIBRARY" on
https://market.android.com/ it shows all the apps I downloaded directly from the Touchpad.

I just find it odd.

Petrie

Banned
Trying to install, and got Novacom installed (I think), I'm in the command prompt and get the message "'novacom' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file"

Any ideas folks?

Tapiozona

Banned
Hoping someone could answer a few questions before I go and install this...

I have CM7 on my nook color and absolutely love it so it's a no brainer to trust them against with my touchpad..question is..
On my nook color they've made it extremely easy for me to flash newer versions of CM each time a new nightly build is released (almost every night). I just have to copy it onto the SD card, boot into clockwork recovery and flash the new version from there. Takes 2 minutes.

Will CM on the touchpad allow similar? I have no problem loading up an alpha version as long as I can keep 'upgrading' to newer and newer builds as they release them rather than having to start from scratch every single time.

Thanks

meljeff

Petrie said:
Trying to install, and got Novacom installed (I think), I'm in the command prompt and get the message "'novacom' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file"

Any ideas folks?

If you are running Windows 7 make sure you run the command prompt as an administrator.
I think I had that same problem as well until I did that.

meljeff

Tapiozona said:
Hoping someone could answer a few questions before I go and install this...

I have CM7 on my nook color and absolutely love it so it's a no brainer to trust them against with my touchpad..question is..
On my nook color they've made it extremely easy for me to flash newer versions of CM each time a new nightly build is released (almost every night). I just have to copy it onto the SD card, boot into clockwork recovery and flash the new version from there. Takes 2 minutes.

Will CM on the touchpad allow similar? I have no problem loading up an alpha version as long as I can keep 'upgrading' to newer and newer builds as they release them rather than having to start from scratch every single time.

Thanks

Yes CWM will be the way to update after the first install.

Godslay

Banned
Petrie said:

Any ideas folks?

I'm assuming that you are in the correct directory:

C:/Program Files/Palm, Inc

In addition to this did you extract the AcmeInstaller to this directory? I noticed that when it wasn't extracted it wouldn't work. Also make sure it is typed exactly like it appears in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLZH8f7leLw/&t=3m21s

Chesskid1

Banned
got my ps3 controller all setup wirelessly with my touchpad. pretty awesome.

it's nice but man android isn't really user friendly at all. hopefully when ICS comes along it helps with that.

the browser is pretty nice too, tried firefox (aurora). i just don't like how every site detects you as mobile, wasn't like that for webos browser.

so i just carry my touchpad + a controller and i have a working n64/psx. <3

I really like Hacker's Keyboard now. It's a free full QWERTY keyboard (including Tab, ctrl, esc, and Function (F1-F12) keys, but it's sort of useless on phones. It's amazing on a tablet.

Sadly, I don't know how to download the English dictionary files, so I don't have auto-correct, but oh well. (Oddly, they have dictionaries for other languages...)
Chesskid1 said:
got my ps3 controller all setup wirelessly with my touchpad. pretty awesome.

it's nice but man android isn't really user friendly at all. hopefully when ICS comes along it helps with that.

the browser is pretty nice too, tried firefox (aurora). i just don't like how every site detects you as mobile, wasn't like that for webos browser.

so i just carry my touchpad + a controller and i have a working n64/psx. <3
Have you tried the n64/ps1 emulators? Are they good on the TouchPad?

Also yes, I dislike the mobile site thing, too. In Opera, you can change the User Agent to "Desktop" which seems to fix mobile sites for me. Touch the Opera button, then go to Settings -> Advanced -> User Agent and select "Desktop."

For those with splashtop , can you post the specs of your computer and what type of router you have? Splashtop just won't stream lagfree on my touchpad. I tried loading a Futurama episode, and it played fine for a few minutes before locking up.

Running on a Lenovo y460 laptop
Core i5m (2009) Dual Core @ 2.53GHZ
4GB RAM
Intel HD graphics
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

Router is an old Asus b/g Using old WEP encryption.

It works fine for me but I have the laptop connected via Ethernet and only an iPod Touch and the Touchpad using the Wifi connection.

Top Bottom