• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official HP Touchpad Thread of $100 Digital Picture Frames

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
br0ken_shad0w said:
For those with splashtop , can you post the specs of your computer and what type of router you have? Splashtop just won't stream lagfree on my touchpad. I tried loading a Futurama episode, and it played fine for a few minutes before locking up.
Win 7
i5
Geforce 460

ATT Uverse wifi modem/router.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
is android fully ported? this thread is lookin all crazy with the android talk

...link me

LIENKENK EMEMEME!!!?!?e!@!@?r?@

dabig2

Why would you do that? said:
Also yes, I dislike the mobile site thing, too. In Opera, you can change the User Agent to "Desktop" which seems to fix mobile sites for me. Touch the Opera button, then go to Settings -> Advanced -> User Agent and select "Desktop."

Indeed, and there's actually a FireFox addon called "Phony" that allows you to do the same thing. You can change the user agent to Desktop Firefox, Desktop IE, Iphone, iPad, Android (Galaxy Tab) or Android (Nexus One). It works pretty well so far.

Mission

eastmen said:
mine wouldn't show until i sync'd my gmail account

Thanks, I tried that but still not seeing it. Then I tried to set up Contacts to sync with Google and it seems to have done something to my account settings so that Gmail is no longer logged in either.

Did you have gmail configured before you installed gapps through ACMEInstaller?

edit: so based on my last question I tried again and noticed that at the point it wants to install gapps it says "Invalid Zip magic" which to me would indicate that it didn't like the zip file.

dabig2

Petrie said:
I'd greatly appreciate any ideas anyone has, I'm dying here. lol

I was actually having a lot of trouble with this earlier on as well, however I was able to "fix" it by just completely reinstalling it and its drivers through webOS Quick Install.

Petrie

Banned
dabig2 said:
I was actually having a lot of trouble with this earlier on as well, however I was able to "fix" it by just completely reinstalling it and its drivers through webOS Quick Install.

*fixed*

Damn i'm so tempted to get this right now, but I think i'll wait for the beta too.

So has anyone been buying apps? I thought most of the apps on the android are not supported?

meljeff

FantasticMrFoxdie said:
Damn i'm so tempted to get this right now, but I think i'll wait for the beta too.

So has anyone been buying apps? I thought most of the apps on the android are not supported?
Almost every app I've loaded works great. Mainly ones that need the camera or built in mic seem to be the problem.

dabig2

Petrie said:
Reinstalling what exactly? WebOS quick install is what exactly?

Ah, WebOSQI is just a very, very handy program that allows you to interact intimately with the touchpad or other HP device with your computer. Basically if you're doing homebrew stuff it's great.

http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-coding/274461-webos-quick-install-v4-0-a.html

So just download the latest version and run the .jar file to install it. You'll at the same time be installing fresh Novacom drivers and I believe webOsDoctor is also included (just make sure you do NOT run that program at the moment - it's used for factory wiping your touchpad).

Petrie

Banned
Sorry for the constant questions. I got the installer to run, but it isn't booting into Android after as the tutorial says it should, it's simply going to the Moboot menu giving me the option to boot into WEBOS, Clockwork, etc. Where am I going wrong now? Damnit.

ascully

Installed CM7 this evening and everything I have tried runs surprisgly well, I am hooked on fruit ninja :) I still prefer webos myself but it's nice to have both.

Chesskid1

Banned
i just sideloaded dead space and it works/plays perfectly.

great gaming performance and i was surprised it worked tbh, best graphically game i was able to get to work so far.

i'm going to try some gameloft stuff. i wanna try that FFX clone.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
Joe said:
how's web browsing compared to webOS?

A lot better since there are many browser options available. I had to sideload Dolphin HD since the one on the market wasn't compatible with the touchpad.

ascully said:
How do you sideload games?

Drag the apk to any directory and then load it in File Manager. You have to enable an option to allow sideloading apps though

Chesskid1

Banned
tenderloin 2,329

2329 tenderloin installs so far, (ie you installed it, connected to wifi and turned on anonymous usage stats).

i'm gonna be here all night testing stuff i think :eek:

copy hard crashes but it reboots so fast i don't even care. really great for an alpha i think and i recommend it.

Chesskid1 said:
i just sideloaded dead space and it works/plays perfectly.

great gaming performance and i was surprised it worked tbh, best graphically game i was able to get to work so far.

i'm going to try some gameloft stuff. i wanna try that FFX clone.

Incredible! Has anyone tried any Wi-Fi MP stuff?

ascully

SteveO409 said:
A lot better since there are many browser options available. I had to sideload Dolphin HD since the one on the market wasn't compatible with the touchpad.

Drag the apk to any directory and then load it in File Manager. You have to enable an option to allow sideloading apps though

Is the option in the cyogenmod settings?

I left my Touchpad on last night to see what the idle battery life is like with CM. 10 hours of sleep used about 10‰ battery. That was with wifi on and mail,talk and pulse pushing to the device. Not bad considering it's an alpha and will only improve. I hope they can match webos's idle use as that's really good.

No real other problems except my wifi crashed this morning only seemed to happen after I messed with Bluetooth though.

Doopliss

meljeff said:
Yes CWM will be the way to update after the first install.
During the early builds you'll probably need to do a wipe for each new release, though. (Just apps and settings, your files are retained)

Mission

Mission said:
Thanks, I tried that but still not seeing it. Then I tried to set up Contacts to sync with Google and it seems to have done something to my account settings so that Gmail is no longer logged in either.

Did you have gmail configured before you installed gapps through ACMEInstaller?

edit: so based on my last question I tried again and noticed that at the point it wants to install gapps it says "Invalid Zip magic" which to me would indicate that it didn't like the zip file.

I tried downloading gapps again this morning and noticed that the file size was 6mb instead of 6kb. I think my downloads last night were faulty.

I can report that this worked. I suspect I will have encountered the same issue when installing cwm

freshair

ascully said:
Is the option in the cyogenmod settings?
I believe the setting is in settings>application and you have to check theopokn that "allows installation of outside apps".

And as an alternative to USB/file manager, you can just drop the apk in drobox and you can install it from there.

alternade

Excited to see android on the touchpad but gonna wait til atleast a more stable beta or ICS port.

Have there been any reports of bricking/bugs so far?

ascully

alternade said:
Excited to see android on the touchpad but gonna wait til atleast a more stable beta or ICS port.

Have there been any reports of bricking/bugs so far?

Not sure you can brick the Touchpad, if anything goes wrong you can just use webos doctor to restore it to factory.

Zodzilla

dabig2 said:

I'm confused and having the same issue. Do you know what the exact steps were to correct it via webOS Quick Install?

**EDIT** aaaaand I restarted the device. This worked. I got a weird connection error whenever I tried to sync my google account "can't establish a reliable data connection to server" which I resolved by resetting to factory settings and then restarting. Looks like everything's up and running. Yay!

Now, I'm going to try and get this market visibility hack working.

Eric C

On Android when you hold the power button you bring up the "touchpad options" and you can select reboot, reboot to webos, or shutdown and a few other options.

Is there anyway to bring that menu up without pressing the power button?

Tek

HowardRoark said:
I really wasn't planning on downloading this early of a CM release, but reading this thread makes it very tempting.

I was the same way...a guy at my work was like hey check out androidcentral.com ( troll face )

He has been salty at me ever since he heard HP employees got fire sale prices as well. I told him that since its an alpha build I would just wait for the beta to drop....but then I kept reading the rootwiki forums...and saw nothing but good things.

Any issues seemed to be end users not following directions so at midnight last night, I decided to take the plunge. The only MAJOR problem I had which was my own dumb fault was, I loaded gapps and then I was like...where the hell is it?

I had no idea there was another screen that showed the icons for apps...I figured it was all on the main screen....

So just take some patience, follow the directions to a T. ( I used the youtube video that has been posted in here ) and you should be fine. I'm a droid noob so the hardest part was just getting used to the interface.

btw - what is this sideload stuff? How do you sideload apps?

freshair

Tek said:
btw - what is this sideload stuff? How do you sideload apps?

in settings > applications just enable "allow outside installation of apps" then you can load APK files either through dropbox or email or within file manager (usb transferred)

jersoc

i'm trying to put on android and i'm having a hard time getting this novacom thing setup. I have ran it like a billion times and everytime I try to enter the command on the prompt for the acmeinstaller is tells me novacom is not valid.

oh apparently i need the SDK too. ugh, this instructions are less than complete.

got it, victory

Tapiozona

Banned
I'm stuck and not sure why. I have the novacom driver installed, I have the CM file copied into the right folder ont he touchpad..I'm in USB mode after rebooting the touchpad and it's plugged into the pc but when I goto a command prompt (cmd) and type in the novacom boot mem:// ACMEInstaller command I get a "Novacom is not a recognizable command or something" along those lines.

Ive tried this on two computers..any ideas?

Top Bottom