• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official HP Touchpad Thread of $100 Digital Picture Frames

Metalmurphy said:
You need to browse to the folder where novacom is installed.

On Windows it's Program Files\Plam, Inc.\

tumblr_lr40gt7FrS1qly9zdo1_400.gif

Does anyone know what exactly gets deleted when you switch between OSs?

Cause I still have some files from WebOS but I lost my ScummVM games -.-

Eric C

Tapiozona said:
I'm stuck and not sure why. I have the novacom driver installed, I have the CM file copied into the right folder ont he touchpad..I'm in USB mode after rebooting the touchpad and it's plugged into the pc but when I goto a command prompt (cmd) and type in the novacom boot mem:// ACMEInstaller command I get a "Novacom is not a recognizable command or something" along those lines.

Ive tried this on two computers..any ideas?

I had that happen to me yesterday. And I couldn't figure out how to get it to work

Finally, I downloaded the complete 273MB Palm SDK from

https://developer.palm.com/content/resources/develop/sdk_pdk_download.html

Installed the entire thing, rebooted windows, and then it worked.

Tapiozona

Banned
Sweet, that worked.
Ran into another problem now. I'm using the install method from this blog...
http://sirocelot.blogspot.com/2011/10/dummies-guide-to-cyanogenmod-71-on.html

I have CM up and running and now im trying to install gapps, moboot, and cwm. (Steps A, B, and C)

I held the power button on top and went to Power Off. Then It powered off and I held the power button and the up volume button...

Nothing happened. I held it for a very very long time..nothing happened. I tried to power on with just the power button and nothing happened. I had to hold power+the center button to get it to boot back into CM. How do I get it to boot into USB so I can install the rest of the things?

Thanks

Chesskid1 said:
i just sideloaded dead space and it works/plays perfectly.

great gaming performance and i was surprised it worked tbh, best graphically game i was able to get to work so far.

i'm going to try some gameloft stuff. i wanna try that FFX clone.

Did you get any sound?

MiloFoxburr said:
Fix for the Market not showing a ton of apps,

http://www.multiupload.com/5MKAKAKUM6

Put the zip file on your touchpad, boot into Recovery and install from sdcard. Seems to work fine.

How do I know if this is working? I installed it but I still can't find the official Facebook app for example.

*edit* NM, had to clear the cache before it worked.

Tapiozona said:
Sweet, that worked.

I have CM up and running and now im trying to install gapps, moboot, and cwm. (Steps A, B, and C)

I held the power button on top and went to Power Off. Then It powered off and I held the power button and the up volume button...

Nothing happened. I held it for a very very long time..nothing happened. I tried to power on with just the power button and nothing happened. I had to hold power+the center button to get it to boot back into CM. How do I get it to boot into USB so I can install the rest of the things?

Thanks

When you get to the blue menu when booting, choose WebOS recovery.

Chesskid1

Banned
Metalmurphy said:
Did you get any sound?

yes, it worked perfectly here. i'm on chapter 3 of it, everoney check out dead space, it's pretty good.

Metalmurphy said:
When you get to the blue menu when booting, choose WebOS recovery.

he won't get the blue menu (which is moobit) because he didn't install moobot, he decided to install them one at a time because of that "guide".

i installed mobot/cwm/cm7 at once. i would just start completely over and make sure you are holding the right buttons.

it's the power button + home to restart/start cm7, then i think volume up to enter that acmeinstaller through novacom stuff when you reboot.

go to task manager and make sure novacmd.exe is running, and novacom should work.

Eric C

Tapiozona said:
Sweet, that worked.

Thanks

I'm not sure, I put

update-cm-7.1.0-tenderloin-a1-fullofbugs.zip
update-cwm_tenderloin-1012.zip
moboot_0.3.3.zip
gapps-gb-20110828-signed.zip

all those 4 files into the into the cminstall folder all at the same time and it installed everything perfectly. I'm not sure why that guide is telling you to do everything separately, it seems like extra work for almost no reason.

Chesskid1

Banned
also, make sure you guys grab chainfire 3d from the marketplace.

chainfire let's you emulate the other video chip thingees. it does not come with the plugins (such as nvidia, qualcomm, etc) so you'll have to google those separately.

with chainfire 3d, i'm able to play tegra only games, etc

i tried fruit slice tegra HD version and 9mm (gameloft shooting game)(both tegra versions) and they both worked great.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
I found a fix for my main annoyance with this alpha build. The wifi would always turn off once the touchpad goes to sleep and you would had to reenable wifi. Go to wifi settings, hit menu button on dock, advanced setting, and set wifi sleep policy to "never". Also qqplayer seems to be the viable media player to watch my anime shows without horrible fps.

Chesskid1 said:
also, make sure you guys grab chainfire 3d from the marketplace.

chainfire let's you emulate the other video chip thingees. it does not come with the plugins (such as nvidia, qualcomm, etc) so you'll have to google those separately.

with chainfire 3d, i'm able to play tegra only games, etc

i tried fruit slice tegra HD version and 9mm (gameloft shooting game)(both tegra versions) and they both worked great.

What about shadowgun? lol

Mission

Metalmurphy said:
How do I know if this is working? I installed it but I still can't find the official Facebook app for example.

*edit* NM, had to clear the cache before it worked.

Which cache? I still don't see the official Facebook app, at least other than the mobile phone size version. I also don't see the official Twitter client.

Mission said:
Which cache? I still don't see the official Facebook app, at least other than the mobile phone size version. I also don't see the official Twitter client.

Market and Google Framework Application

Delete the cache on both.

Facebook app crashes alot :/

@ Chesskid1, are you supposed to download them directly from the Tegra Zone app? It still says it only works on Tegra Devices even after using Chainfire.

Also the free version of GT Racing still doesn't work

dabig2

Mission said:

Go to Manage Applications (you can do this from the home screen by pressing the settings icon at the bottom). Now navigate to the Market icon and on the left there will be an option to "clear cache". Do that and it should clear up any problems.

Mission

dabig2 said:
Go to Manage Applications (you can do this from the home screen by pressing the settings icon at the bottom). Now navigate to the Market icon and on the left there will be an option to "clear cache". Do that and it should clear up any problems.

Great thanks.

Tapiozona

Banned
So I have it all up and running...couple things I've noticed...

* No Dolphin Browser HD. That makes me very sad. Doesn't show up in the market.
* It doesn't feel buttery smooth and fast. I have CM on my nook and it stutters like crazy but I figured with dual cores this would be like butter. It's average at best (I realize it's alpha but seems like a dual core device would crush anything Android 2.3 could throw at it but I'm seeing very modest stuttering and lag)

* Netflix works like a champ. That alone makes this worthwhile * 10.

Wish I knew what apps and games were worth getting.
Also, is my Touchpad still overclocked when I'm in CM?

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
Tapiozona said:

* It doesn't feel buttery smooth and fast. I have CM on my nook and it stutters like crazy but I figured with dual cores this would be like butter. It's average at best (I realize it's alpha but seems like a dual core device would crush anything Android 2.3 could throw at it but I'm seeing very modest stuttering and lag)

Wish I knew what apps and games were worth getting.
You could sideload dolphin HD

Tapiozona

Banned
SteveO409 said:
You could sideload dolphin HD

Good call. Too bad I left my NC at work else I'd grab it off there. Can anyone hook me up with the Dolphin Browser HD apk (latest version) if it's not too much trouble? Not sure how well I trust google sources for the file.

dabig2

Tapiozona said:

Dolphin (along with a bunch of other apps) will show up in the market if you apply the market fix. It's an easy fix as long as you also have ClockWorkMod installed.

1)Download this zip file
2)transfer it to your touchpad in whatever directory.
3)Go into Rom Manager and choose the install ROM from SD Card and pick the zip file which will reboot into clockwork recovery and apply the patch.

After this, you should have the full market available. Courtesy of the rootzwiki forums

And as for the overclock, I don't believe it's overclocked in the alpha build. If you go into settings->CyanogenMod settings->Performance->CPU settings you'll see that it's still at 1.2 Ghz max. I think you can overclock it with the alpha somehow, but I haven't done yet.

Tapiozona

Banned
dabig2 said:
Dolphin (along with a bunch of other apps) will show up in the market if you apply the market fix. It's an easy fix as long as you also have ClockWorkMod installed.

1)Download this zip file
3)Go into Rom Manager and choose the install ROM from SD Card and pick the zip file which will reboot into clockwork recovery and apply the patch.

After this, you should have the full market available. Courtesy of the rootzwiki forums

And as for the overclock, I don't believe it's overclocked in the alpha build. If you go into settings->CyanogenMod settings->Performance->CPU settings you'll see that it's still at 1.2 Ghz max. I think you can overclock it with the alpha somehow, but I haven't done yet.

Thank you very very much. Worked like a charm though I had to boot into CWM instead of going through ROM Manager. Gave me some message about Premium users can only do it thorugh ROM manager.

Am I using dropbox wrong? I put the market fix in dropbox and downloaded it to the CM7TP, but now I can't find it. Where does it go after downloading, and how do you find it in CWM?

Edit...Nevermind. There is a folder for Dropbox. I was looking in downloads.

Edit2...Never going back to WebOS. I can't believe this is just an Alpha.

Mission

Tapiozona said:

Where did you get Netflix? Even with the Market patch (the second one, for more apps) I don't see a real Netflix app in the market.

Treo360

Mission said:
Where did you get Netflix? Even with the Market patch (the second one, for more apps) I don't see a real Netflix app in the market.
I typed up netflix on mine and it showed up. Weird that it didn't work for you

jersoc

has anyone been able to install the amazon app store? I don't see it showing up on the market even after the market fix.

jersoc

Chesskid1 said:
go to amazon.com/app-email

yeah, I forgot you gotta install it via that. worked jawesomely.

plays plants vs zombies perfectly. this is so bad ass. coming from the OG droid to this is like a dream come true. my phone can barely run the basic of apps now.

Chesskid1

Banned
n64oid and FPse (ps1) are both pretty choppy. tried banjo-kazooie, ff7 and 8. not sure if it's the emulator (anyone get full speed on other devices?) or the operating system/drivers still being optimized. didn't mess around with the settings of n64oid but tweaked FPse for a while and couldn't get it full speed (damn FMVs mostly but killed experience, ingame seemed nice).

hopefully it will be full speed one day. <3

not to rag on android but the game selection was smaller than i thought. still blows away webos for sure though. or maybe iOs has alot of exclusives that get advertised and i like.

and one of the big games i wanted to try (dungeon defenders) is broken, heh.

still awesome though and will only get better /w ICS so yay :)

Chesskid1 said:
n64oid and FPse (ps1) are both pretty choppy. tried banjo-kazooie, ff7 and 8. not sure if it's the emulator (anyone get full speed on other devices?) or the operating system/drivers still being optimized. didn't mess around with the settings of n64oid but tweaked FPse for a while and couldn't get it full speed (damn FMVs mostly).

hopefully it will be full speed one day. <3

not to rag on android but the game selection was smaller than i thought. still blows away webos for sure though. or maybe iOs has alot of exclusives that get advertised and i like.

and one of the big games i wanted to try (dungeon defenders) is broken, heh.

still awesome though and will only get better /w ICS so yay :)

Hmm, I played some FF7, Cutscenes and Gameplay were 60fps with some minor drops during loads. What's wrong with Dungeon Defenders? I play it briefly (Just the start) and it ran fine.

And yeah Gaming is weak on Android. It is improving but very slowly.

DJ_Tet

Banned
Just a word of warning to those putting Android on these, it didn't work out for me.

No brick though, so no big deal. WebOS Doctor was able to restore me as far as I can tell.

I have a 32 gig Touchpad and I have about 7 GB of free space left. Since I saw the Android port only takes about 2 GB I thought it would be fine.

I saw a bunch of errors when it started installing but it did eventually complete the install. The only thing is that all of my data disappeared (one of the warnings.)

I've got all my data backed up but it was still a pain in the ass. Essentially my TP was left with 3 GB of free space on 24 GB total, and there was nothing on there but WebOS and Android. All my music, movies and comics were gone.

So I'm not sure what the sweet spot is but I'm guessing if you want to put Android on you want your Touchpad as close to stock as possible.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Metalmurphy said:
Wasn't flash supposed to be working with this?

I remember seing some Youtube videos on those CM7 demos but it's not working on mine.
1. Do you have flash installed.
2. Are you using a browser that supports flash.
3. Are you sure you enabled flash/plugins in your browser's settings.

Lyphen said:
1. Do you have flash installed.
2. Are you using a browser that supports flash.
3. Are you sure you enabled flash/plugins in your browser's settings.

1. Can't find anywhere to install it, I assumed they came embedded with the browsers.
2. Firefox
3. Can't find flash in the addons/settings

If I use the default browser it just uses the special mobile website by default, and when I switch to the regular website it says I need to upgrade flash.

The mobile website doesn't really give me 720p videos like the WebOS browser.

Hum wierd, Flash now appears on the market, it didn't yesterday -.-

*edit* Well, even after installing flash it doesn't work. How exactly are you supposed to enable it in the regular browser??

*edit2* Worked after reboot, but it's slow as hell :p

Gonna try opera now

*edit3* Flash not supported using Opera.

Mission

Treo360 said:
I typed up netflix on mine and it showed up. Weird that it didn't work for you

Might be a Canada / US thing... I might have to install FakeGPS and get the thing to say I am in the USA.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Metalmurphy said:
Hum wierd, Flash now appears on the market, it didn't yesterday -.-

*edit* Well, even after installing flash it doesn't work. How exactly are you supposed to enable it in the regular browser??

*edit2* Worked after reboot, but it's slow as hell :p

Gonna try opera now

*edit3* Flash not supported using Opera.
Opera mobile, not mini.

So I'm sitting here at work checking out rootzwiki, and there are a lot of reports of the battery draining to 0% while plugged in and asleep if the wifi is on. Did anyone leave their's on last night and have it be fine this morning? I'm trying to gauge whether or not to be concerned even though there's not a damn thing I can do about it.

PrivateWHudson said:
So I'm sitting here at work checking out rootzwiki, and there are a lot of reports of the battery draining to 0% while plugged in and asleep if the wifi is on. Did anyone leave their's on last night and have it be fine this morning? I'm trying to gauge whether or not to be concerned even though there's not a damn thing I can do about it.

Mine shut down yesterday even when plugged in. But I was doing alot, Wifi, installing, brightness to max, etc.

PrivateWHudson said:

You sure it's not the screen of death issue? I haven't seen any crazy battery drain. And I did leave it on overnight the first day I installed CM7 on it and it only drained about 10%.

The screen of death issue started popping up after then for me, but I'm using SetCPU to set the minimum speed the cpu can go to 384mhz and that is supposed to fix it.

Petrie

Banned
Used this thing with android all day yesterday, had like 60% battery when I went to bed. Didn't charge it. Woke up this morning and im getting nothing. Assumed something was running and drained it, but I plugged it into the charger and still can't get it to boot holding the button. Is there something else I can do or did my unit somehow brick itself?

Petrie said:
Used this thing with android all day yesterday, had like 60% battery when I went to bed. Didn't charge it. Woke up this morning and im getting nothing. Assumed something was running and drained it, but I plugged it into the charger and still can't get it to boot holding the button. Is there something else I can do or did my unit somehow brick itself?

Screen of Death issue, hold home + power for about 20-30seconds and it will turn back on. Read my post above for a way that is supposed to stop it happening.

Good, I must have mushed all of the power issues into one in my head. I guess plugged in and asleep is safe. What's the "screen of death" issue?

Edit: I just saw above.

Brinbe

MiloFoxburr said:
You sure it's not the screen of death issue? I haven't seen any crazy battery drain. And I did leave it on overnight the first day I installed CM7 on it and it only drained about 10%.

The screen of death issue started popping up after then for me, but I'm using SetCPU to set the minimum speed the cpu can go to 384mhz and that is supposed to fix it.
Yep, had the same SOD issue occur this morning and I semi-freaked out. Luckily, I got it rebooted and proceeded with the same fixes a few minutes ago using CPU Master.

Hopefully, it works out okay, because other than that problem, it has been amazing, even in this Alpha state.

PrivateWHudson said:
Good, I must have mushed all of the power issues into one in my head. I guess plugged in and asleep is safe. What's the "screen of death" issue?

Basically a random issue where your Touchpad won't turn on. People think it's because the minimum CPU Speed is set to low (196mhz or so) so when it goes into deep sleep it sometimes can't wake up out of it. Using Set CPU or CPU Master to raise that minimum is supposed to prevent it happening. I haven't tried it for long enough to confirm.

dabig2 said:

1)Download this zip file

OK, I was attempting to do this but something has gone wrong. I am now stuck on a screen with an exclamation point within a triangle and a green android robot. Unable to turn the touchpad off. Any ideas?

EDIT: Just heald power AND home down and it worked. Phew.

How will I know if the store fix was successful or not?

Top Bottom