• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official HP Touchpad Thread of $100 Digital Picture Frames

Anyone manage to get hulu working? Do I need opera mini for it? For the CPU overclock, I remember reading about an app that will do it. Setcpu?

kingocfs

PrivateWHudson said:
So I'm sitting here at work checking out rootzwiki, and there are a lot of reports of the battery draining to 0% while plugged in and asleep if the wifi is on. Did anyone leave their's on last night and have it be fine this morning? I'm trying to gauge whether or not to be concerned even though there's not a damn thing I can do about it.
Left mine on and unplugged last night and it was drained by morning. Definitely noticed the wifi milking the battery as I was using it, too.

Treo360

I've left mine on, wifi and all while charging. No problems here. I also had the unit, unplugged and with wifi on since 730a and the battery life has drained maybe 10-15%

Eric C

eternalthree said:
Anyone manage to get hulu working? Do I need opera mini for it?

Regular PC restricted hulu content? Here's what I did.

Hulu won't work with the official version of flash you download from the market. Also I like using the Dolphin HD browser for hulu because you only have to change the user agent to Desktop once and it remembers every-time you launch it, the side effect is it will no longer automatically load the mobile versions of websites.

1. If you already installed the official version of flash from the market, UNINSTALL it. If you have Dolphin HD already installed, UNINSTALL that too. Next I rebooted, I don't know if rebooting is necessary, but that's what I did.

2. Download the "99.9.999.99.hulu-fixed.apk" I found on this page, at the link below.

It's just a modified version of the official flash you can get on the market. You don't need the zip so just ignore it.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=15181877&postcount=454

Now manually install that .apk, you can do it right with the file manager. First, make sure under application settings you have it set to allow installation from Unknown Sources.

3. No go into the market and download Dolphin HD.

When you first start Dolphin HD, swipe from the left side of the screen.
Select "Quick Access" then select "settings".
Now select "Dolphin Settings" and under "User Agent" change it to DESKTOP.​

Hulu should now work.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Finally decided to give it a shot this afternoon, not ecstatic about it, but it's nice to be able to use a Gallery application that doesn't suck (QuickPic) and my paid Android apps. I still prefer webOS for Internet though, as flash for some reason isn't running very well even at 480p.

Kind of cements my idea that I'd much prefer an Android app emulator on webOS than Gingerbread.

Biscuits

Lyphen said:
Finally decided to give it a shot this afternoon, not ecstatic about it, but it's nice to be able to use a Gallery application that doesn't suck (QuickPic) and my paid Android apps. I still prefer webOS for Internet though, as flash for some reason isn't running very well even at 480p.

Kind of cements my idea that I'd much prefer an Android app emulator on webOS than Gingerbread.
Yeah, overall Android on tp still seems really buggy. I can't get flash videos to work smoothly, though the Youtube app works quite well. Maybe once the public release comes around it'll be more stable, and there's always Ice Cream to look forward to.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Yeah, can't handle this at all. I'm doctoring back to stock. Flash even looks worse on Gingerbread for whatever reason.

I can do without QuickPic, Human Japanese, feedly and Baseball Superstar 2 on my TouchPad. Phone handles them better anyway.

DJ_Tet

Banned
Can someone tell me how to set up the Android Shop on the CM7? I've never used Android and I'm lost. I think I saw the option once but I set up my wifi and can't find it again.

When I browse to the Android Shop on the browser I still have no available devices. I want to buy Splashtop before they raise the price again. Thanks!

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
DJ_Tet said:
Can someone tell me how to set up the Android Shop on the CM7? I've never used Android and I'm lost. I think I saw the option once but I set up my wifi and can't find it again.

When I browse to the Android Shop on the browser I still have no available devices. I want to buy Splashtop before they raise the price again. Thanks!
You have to make sure you flashed the gapps zip too, since it isn't included in the CM7 package. After that, go into settings>account and link up a Google account. You'll be able to use the web store after you launch market and agree to the terms of use.

Cruzader

Banned
OMG I just installed it! feel like a baby with a new toy :)

God, WebOS is a POS. Thank heavens for CM teaam.

Edit: holy crapthis is awesome. I installed getjar app and got some free premium apps like splashtop which is normally on sale!!! Do it guys. Tons of cool stuff on there!

LQX

There should be a new thread for and about how to properly install Android.

Question. Anyone reverted back to WebOS? Nice easy process?

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
LQX said:

Easy. http://ws.hpwebos.com/webosdoctor/

Download, plug it in and let it run. I did a full wipe in webOS so I could get rid of android folders as well (CM7 installer deleted everything important I had in there anyway).

DJ_Tet

Banned
LQX said:

Yeah I had to do it last night. Some of my data got erased but it still took up space. It was pretty painless, took awhile. The android settings remain on the system after the process but I got my unused space back.

This time I fixed webOS up, then hacked android on there, and now am loading up my extra data. So far so good.

Cruzader

Banned
DJ_Tet said:
Yeah I had to do it last night. Some of my data got erased but it still took up space. It was pretty painless, took awhile. The android settings remain on the system after the process but I got my unused space back.

This time I fixed webOS up, then hacked android on there, and now am loading up my extra data. So far so good.
Wait why would you do this? Unlessy you messed up the installation?

Also what space on the tablet got messed up? Does that happen normally? And how much does android take off of the total space? I got a 32gb tablet and Android reads 24gb for apps. Is there anything that I'm missing here and that I should do? Sorry for all the questions.

DJ_Tet

Banned
Posted a page back. I didn't mess up the installation but I did have a bug. Not sure what caused it.

DJ_Tet said:
Just a word of warning to those putting Android on these, it didn't work out for me.

No brick though, so no big deal. WebOS Doctor was able to restore me as far as I can tell.

I have a 32 gig Touchpad and I have about 7 GB of free space left. Since I saw the Android port only takes about 2 GB I thought it would be fine.

I saw a bunch of errors when it started installing but it did eventually complete the install. The only thing is that all of my data disappeared (one of the warnings.)

I've got all my data backed up but it was still a pain in the ass. Essentially my TP was left with 3 GB of free space on 24 GB total, and there was nothing on there but WebOS and Android. All my music, movies and comics were gone.

So I'm not sure what the sweet spot is but I'm guessing if you want to put Android on you want your Touchpad as close to stock as possible.

Cruzader

Banned
Holy crap, Age of Zombies plays like a champ on this thing and FREE via getjar app! The app itself looks like its HD/universal like iOS apps too!

Only bummer is that the space allocated for apps is like 1gb :( Cmon that's horrible! Got 24gb Ritter now free! Oh man, I'm happy the way this thing is going. Damn I need to buy another one for my friend.

Ps: Splashtop is free also with getjar. GET IT!

Tapiozona

Banned
MiloFoxburr said:
Basically a random issue where your Touchpad won't turn on. People think it's because the minimum CPU Speed is set to low (196mhz or so) so when it goes into deep sleep it sometimes can't wake up out of it. Using Set CPU or CPU Master to raise that minimum is supposed to prevent it happening. I haven't tried it for long enough to confirm.

CPU Master gives me the option to set the speed up to almost 1800 MHz's from the stock 1188.

I slid it to 14something and hit apply and saw it reach the 1400 mark...Is that all it really takes to overclock it? I went back down to default because it seemed too easy.

Ugh, the one really great thing about WebOS over Android is that you can very easily multitask without fear of your applications being destroyed. I just wrote a somewhat sizable post just now, then pushed Home to check the name of an app to write I. the post, but my Opera was destroyed, making me lose my text. :( Whether or not apps are destroyed is seemingly very random, as I didn't expect it to be destroyed.

There are a couple other minor things I like in WebOS (i.e. I can use Tab to switch between fields like username/password in WebOS) but the biggest thing is that I can destroy my own apps without WebOS doing it for me.

Cruzader

Banned
So is it possible to install Launcher Ex on alpha android without messing it up? I'm afraid to push it and mess something up. I recently installed a keyboard called "thumb keyboard" and it rocks on this thing. Makes the buttons nice and big. I think I got it for free from amazon or getjar. Its way better than stock keyboard. Had to change it as I was having issues with he stock one. For instance, I kept missing the space bar key alot. With this new one, the keys are big and nice.

sfedai0

Banned
We need a separate thread with must have apps, widgets, cool little tweaks, and of course walk through on getting this on the TP.

Edit:Thanks Drensch for that link.

Chesskid1

Banned
ngvklk.png

346kcc9.png

eternal legacy works pretty well. time for some jrpg ffx clone, f yeah.

also, they made an app compatibility list on rootzwiki

check it out
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...C01N2VlMHVmeFY0LVU2UUNLNDJHRXc&hl=en_US#gid=0

bonus dead space shot.
2m5fgxc.png

also dungeon defenders works, but some of the screen is cutoff. it was made for 1280x800 displays iirc so it cuts off on the 1024x768 screen, either way it's cutoff. that was my most wanted game, o well, i bought it on steam so ill be okay :)

got android installed, working perfectly. AWESOME.

I know this is alpha now, but does anyone know if it will be easy to update (and not a matter of starting from scratch) when cyanogen puts out further releases?

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
onlyindreams said:
got android installed, working perfectly. AWESOME.

I know this is alpha now, but does anyone know if it will be easy to update (and not a matter of starting from scratch) when cyanogen puts out further releases?
Just reboot into CWM Recovery and flash the new ROM. When the CWM app updates to support touchpad you'll be able to automate from Android.

Ericsc said:

Hulu won't work with the official version of flash you download from the market. Also I like using the Dolphin HD browser for hulu because you only have to change the user agent to Desktop once and it remembers every-time you launch it, the side effect is it will no longer automatically load the mobile versions of websites.

1. If you already installed the official version of flash from the market, UNINSTALL it. If you have Dolphin HD already installed, UNINSTALL that too. Next I rebooted, I don't know if rebooting is necessary, but that's what I did.

2. Download the "99.9.999.99.hulu-fixed.apk" I found on this page, at the link below.

It's just a modified version of the official flash you can get on the market. You don't need the zip so just ignore it.

Now manually install that .apk, you can do it right with the file manager. First, make sure under application settings you have it set to allow installation from Unknown Sources.

Hulu should now work.

Works now. Thank you very much for the guide. Much appreciated. And nice screenshots there chesskid

Jeels

Is this Android thing good to go or should I wait a few months until all the kinks are worked out?

I have a friend who said he'd have trouble connecting to his own wifi after he made the Cyanogen switch, but that other than that things worked mostly flawlessly.

I think I'd rather wait it out...?

Jeels said:
Is this Android thing good to go or should I wait a few months until all the kinks are worked out?

I have a friend who said he'd have trouble connecting to his own wifi after he made the Cyanogen switch, but that other than that things worked mostly flawlessly.

I'm waiting. Not because it isn't working right now, but because it'll get much better, I assume, in the next 2-3 months, and I'm in no rush.

DJ_Tet

Banned
If you have another Android device I'd wait. My main reason for putting Android on was to take advantage of the Splashtop sale and hopefully start getting free apps from Amazon once I figure that out. I've never had an Android device though so I was unable to get Splashtop otherwise.

Tapiozona

Banned
Jeels said:

I'd install Android. Even in "Alpha" build the device is much more functional than when I had WebOS on it. I literally never ever used it when I had WebOS because...
1) My Nook color did everything it did, only better.
2) There was nothing to do on the WebOS because of the serious lack of apps and a disfunctional web browser which wouldn't be touched with a ten foot pole if it were in any other OS's app store.

The install of android is so simple its almost funny (once you get past reading the instructions for the first time with all the warnings) and the only thing I've found not to be working properly is sleep mode.

Basically the battery still has a modest drain when I leave the touchpad for the night. I think mine wen't down about 5-10% overnight. No big deal and I've heard that turning wifi off will stop that.

There was an issue with the touchpad not being able to wake up out of sleep mode sometimes (you had to hold volume up + center button for 20 seconds to force reboot it) but even that's been fixed on mine via a post futher up the page. (setting the min cpu setting to 384 instead of 192).

Having access to the Android market pretty much overhwelms any issues this alpha build may have (all very minor). I'd highly highly recommend anyone doing it.

Cruzader

Banned
DJ_Tet said:
If you have another Android device I'd wait. My main reason for putting Android on was to take advantage of the Splashtop sale and hopefully start getting free apps from Amazon once I figure that out. I've never had an Android device though so I was unable to get Splashtop otherwise.
Right now its free via getjar app. It may go away later, mouth as well get it now. Haven't tested it but he app boots fine.

Also why is it that with the Touchpad, when I check my market downloads, I cant find anything? Is there a fix for that? I have a ton of stuff under my account that I got via my phone with my google account yet its not showing up on touchpad wig same account.

kehs

Banned
Cruzader said:
Right now its free via getjar app. It may go away later, mouth as well get it now. Haven't tested it but he app boots fine.

Also why is it that with the Touchpad, when I check my market downloads, I cant find anything? Is there a fix for that? I have a ton of stuff under my account that I got via my phone with my google account yet its not showing up on touchpad wig same account.

Do you have multiple google accounts on the touchpad? Hit menu > Accounts inside of the market and make sure you're using the correct google account.

Cruzader said:

If you're saying what I think you are, there is actually a fix for it, posted somewhere in this thread within the last page or so by dabig2.

edit: here:
www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=31827308&postcount=3221
dabig2 said:
Dolphin (along with a bunch of other apps) will show up in the market if you apply the market fix. It's an easy fix as long as you also have ClockWorkMod installed.

1)Download this zip file
2)transfer it to your touchpad in whatever directory.
3)Go into Rom Manager and choose the install ROM from SD Card and pick the zip file which will reboot into clockwork recovery and apply the patch.

After this, you should have the full market available. Courtesy of the rootzwiki forums

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Ericsc said:

Hulu should now work.
I don't remember installing flash from the marketplace. How do you uninstall it?

dream

You know what's funny? This thing charges much faster on the Touchstone when it's running Android. Like, it's not even close.

Apath

Cruzader said:
Holy crap, Age of Zombies plays like a champ on this thing and FREE via getjar app! The app itself looks like its HD/universal like iOS apps too!

Only bummer is that the space allocated for apps is like 1gb :( Cmon that's horrible! Got 24gb Ritter now free! Oh man, I'm happy the way this thing is going. Damn I need to buy another one for my friend.

Ps: Splashtop is free also with getjar. GET IT!
Will this stuff be free permanently? If so, I think I can still hold out!

Dumb question, but how do I use the "Market Enabler for TouchPad"? What do I do with the zip?

Sorry if this has been answered, thread's been busy.

*edit* nm, found answer.

Cruzader

Banned
Why would you do that? said:
If you're saying what I think you are, there is actually a fix for it, posted somewhere in this thread within the last page or so by dabig2.

edit: here:
www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=31827308&postcount=3221
Nope, its not that. I did apply the market fix to see other apps that normally won't show. My issue is that under my normal google account that I've used on my phone, I can't seem to get the apps on the HP touchpad to show up on downloads history tab. Like its not registering the tablet as a valid device. If I go to the market website with the tablet and log into my google account and try to download something, it only shows my phone to push the download to, I don't see a tablet option/device that I'm using. So if I want to dl a tablet app, it says I can't dl it BC my "phone" is not compatible. Hope that makes sense.

Absol

onlyindreams said:
Anyone able to get sound through headphones on CM7?

Mine works just fine but it won't auto mute the sound from the Touchpad's speakers though. So I have sound coming from the speaker and the headphone.

Cruzader

Banned
Absol said:
Mine works just fine but it won't auto mute the sound from the Touchpad's speakers though. So I have sound coming from the speaker and the headphone.
It does that for WebOS too. I thought it was a bad manufacturing thing but Im not sure if that was done on purpose. Maybe bad batch? Its annoying though.

Eric C

I already installed

update-cm-7.1.0-tenderloin-marketfix-Flemmard.zip

and apps like "Dolphin HD" show up. But why doesn't "Splashtop HD" show up in market for me? I only see regular "Splashtop".

Are some apps still being filtered even after you use the market fix?

VanMardigan said:
I don't remember installing flash from the marketplace. How do you uninstall it?
If you don't see the flash icon anywhere.

Select the "Menu" icon. The menu icon is inbetween the home icon and the arrow icon
Now select "Manage Applications"

And if you have flash installed you should see it in the list of applications, if it's installed just select it, then on the next page click Uninstall.

SRG01

dream said:
You know what's funny? This thing charges much faster on the Touchstone when it's running Android. Like, it's not even close.

Probably because the Touchpad is running some weird exhibition mode thing when it's in WebOS.

Hey, wasn't exhibition mode supposed to be location aware or something in webOS? Or each mode tied to a specific dock?

Absol

Cruzader said:
It does that for WebOS too. I thought it was a bad manufacturing thing but Im not sure if that was done on purpose. Maybe bad batch? Its annoying though.

That's weird. Just rebooted to WebOS and it works fine for me.

Eric C

Absol said:
That's weird. Just rebooted to WebOS and it works fine for me.

Me too, on webOS headphones automatically shut off the speakers like they should.

On android it's been listed as known issue, since even before they released the alpha publicly, they're working on fixing it.

Cruzader

Banned
Ericsc said:
Me too, on webOS headphones automatically shut off the speakers like they should.

On android it's been listed as known issue, since even before they released the alpha publicly, they're working on fixing it.
I hope it is just a bug and not something with the hardware. I've never been able to get it to work properly.

Top Bottom