• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official HP Touchpad Thread of $100 Digital Picture Frames

elty

Questions:

1) How do you fix the "wifi death"? (What is it anyways?)
2) My app launcher disappear after connecting (then disconnected) USB storage. Is that normal?

jersoc

elty said:
Questions:

1) How do you fix the "wifi death"?
2) My app launcher disappear after connecting (then disconnected) USB storage. Is that normal?

goto your wifi advance settings and turn off disconnect when screen sleeps. so basically set it to never.

elty

Thanks, had to click on the menu soft key to bring up advance wifi setting.

I just installed all the gapps and market fix but now I get a "problem loading widget" message on the home screen. WHat is that gadget it is referring to?

elty

I installed the getjar app. installed a few apps but now suddenly it won't install anymore. The install button has no effect, I can only tap on cancel.

EDIT: Issue seems to be related to the app "Screen FIlter". Disabling it make install available again.

There is sitll over 1GB in internal storage. By the way how do you install it on SD card?

Cruzader

Banned
elty said:
I installed the getjar app. installed a few apps but now suddenly it won't install anymore. The install button has no effect, I can only tap on cancel.

EDIT: Issue seems to be related to the app "Screen FIlter". Disabling it make install available again.

There is sitll over 1GB in internal storage. By the way how do you install it on SD card?
Well Android devices install everything under the internal storage and you can move stuff to SD card but its not recommended as it breaks the app. That said, I don't think its smart to do what you ask. I hope they do give more space for internal storage though.

Anyways the free Splashtop app from getjar works like the rest. Full screen on portrait mode but little laggy. Good free app. And I did install Go Launcher and everything runs like it should so I'm glad nothing broke. Now I need the best chat devices that can reach mobile users.

Apath

Is there some sort of all-inclusive guide that details everything from backing up the TouchPad, to acquiring the Android installation, and through the installation process?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Ericsc said:
I already installed

update-cm-7.1.0-tenderloin-marketfix-Flemmard.zip

and apps like "Dolphin HD" show up. But why doesn't "Splashtop HD" show up in market for me? I only see regular "Splashtop".

Are some apps still being filtered even after you use the market fix?

If you don't see the flash icon anywhere.

Select the "Menu" icon. The menu icon is inbetween the home icon and the arrow icon
Now select "Manage Applications"

And if you have flash installed you should see it in the list of applications, if it's installed just select it, then on the next page click Uninstall.
What menu icon?What are we talking about here?

tino

Banned
Wow, I had to uninstall F15C overclock kernal in order to get novacom to work.

Almost had a heart attack when the pad got stuck in the HP screen.

As soon as this port goes beta, I will replace the ugly ass HP and webOS boot logo to the proper Palm round logo.

Fuck HP.

Joe

trying to install android and i'm having a little problem. i'm up to the part to type "novacom.exe boot......" into the command prompt and it's supposed to restart but not restarting, just sitting on the screen with the giant usb logo.

Has there been any information towards when a beta for Android is going to be released? I'm assuming they're using the information from the Alpha to help getting things to work.

The Big Rig said:
Has there been any information towards when a beta for Android is going to be released? I'm assuming they're using the information from the Alpha to help getting things to work.
dalingrin stated that a new alpha with various small fixes will be released soon.

see here:
oldsnow: @dalingrin is the plan to release a number of Alpha's with minor changes or less with bigger changes?
dalingrin: @oldsnow Likely less with bigger changes but I want to get another alpha out pretty soon now to fix a few minor things.

DJ_Tet

Banned
Mine won't keep excess data on it with the two OSes.

I tried putting my comics and mags on the touchpad, this time after I had updated to 3.0.2, done the preware suggestions, and then hacked it for Android. I put Android on, then the google app store, and bought an app. Both OSes seemed to be working fine.

But once I tried to put my comics and stuff on, they disappeared. Not only that, but in WebOS all of my apps disappeared too. Both my download and favorites tabs are empty.

Guess I'm out until the beta. Maybe I'll try sticking my mags and comics in my box space and access them there.

Ericsc said:
I already installed

update-cm-7.1.0-tenderloin-marketfix-Flemmard.zip

and apps like "Dolphin HD" show up. But why doesn't "Splashtop HD" show up in market for me? I only see regular "Splashtop".

Because the HD version requires 3.0 Honeycomb.

Doopliss

DJ_Tet said:
Mine won't keep excess data on it with the two OSes.

I tried putting my comics and mags on the touchpad, this time after I had updated to 3.0.2, done the preware suggestions, and then hacked it for Android. I put Android on, then the google app store, and bought an app. Both OSes seemed to be working fine.

But once I tried to put my comics and stuff on, they disappeared. Not only that, but in WebOS all of my apps disappeared too. Both my download and favorites tabs are empty.

Guess I'm out until the beta. Maybe I'll try sticking my mags and comics in my box space and access them there.
If you put the files within the download folder they should be safe.

Chesskid1

Banned
so i bookmarked the android marketplace page for i can get amazon's free app of the day, every day.

i recommend you do this as well.

i wish i started doing this a while ago to build up my backlog, oh well :) can't complain.

android still has some work to do to catch up to iOS, but i think they can do it. please sell millions kindle fire, for us new android users can benefit.

Uuuuhh...is the readme file bundled with ACME installer some kind of a joke or done intentionally ? No space, no paragraphs, it makes my head hurt just looking at it.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
Tribes of Trusty said:
Uuuuhh...is the readme file bundled with ACME installer some kind of a joke or done intentionally ? No space, no paragraphs, it makes my head hurt just looking at it.
open it in wordpad

MIMIC

Banned
Bleepey said:
Just wondering can any mini USB cable be used for the HP touchpad?

For charging or for data transfers? If the former, I don't think so. I accidentally plugged my phone charger to my Touchpad and I got an error message about it being an insufficient source for charging or something.

Petrie

Banned
MIMIC said:
For charging or for data transfers? If the former, I don't think so. I accidentally plugged my phone charger to my Touchpad and I got an error message about it being an insufficient source for charging or something.

It'll still charge, it just won't charge as quickly.

Hrm, i'm on the fence on getting the hp touchpad bluetooth keyboard. anyone have thoughts to share about it? $27.39 shipped/after tax and 10$ off coupon from hp.com

I actually like the onscreen webOS keyboard a lot. the stock one on cm7 is a pain. I love swype on my htc inspire but on a tablet, theres a lot more moving involved.

i will give thumb keyboard a try. and maybe swiftkey as well.

kehs

Banned
eternalthree said:
Hrm, i'm on the fence on getting the hp touchpad bluetooth keyboard. anyone have thoughts to share about it? $27.39 shipped/after tax and 10$ off coupon from hp.com

I actually like the onscreen webOS keyboard a lot. the stock one on cm7 is a pain. I love swype on my htc inspire but on a tablet, theres a lot more moving involved.

The swype beta (3.0) allows you to shrink the keyboard down to about 1/3 of the screen left or right. Works pretty well.

I managed to install CM7.

Once CL7 hits the final stable version, this tablet will be the best thing ever. It's already very useable ! *drools over 720p mkv playback*

eternalthree said:

I find the bluetooth keyboard to be pretty darn cool and it works well. However, the nature of these tablets is really just goofing off, browsing the web and various applications, etc, so I have almost never used the keyboard. It is solidly built and functions well though, if that's what you are wondering.

Cruzader

Banned
eternalthree said:

Thumb key board rocks. Kinda simulates the WebOS keyboard. Recommend it.

Edit: see this image, hope it works
jkoeKVxxyGx9B.png

eternalthree said:

I got the HP Keyboard and originally I opted to get a thumb key instead, but I ended up returning the thumb key.

The bluetooth keyboard is pretty good, but the functionality is limited. You basically still have to use your finger like a mouse still (you cant scroll, you can bring up the cards but you cant switch between the any of them on the keyboard). One of the big reasons I stuck with it was to be able to type papers/ type notes in class, but the WebOS Office is freaking terrible and buggy. The good thing about it is its a really slick bluetooth keyboard so you can pair it to your phone, laptop, ps3, or whatever.

Actually, does anyone know any better Text Editors for the TP?

Good to hear reassurances about the build quality, King Fuh, and yes, I do question whether i'll ever use it MrFoxdie. Is the keyboard able to pair with multiple devices at the same time? say my ps3 and my desktop? i'll definitely try thumb key and swype. thanks for the inputs cruzader and copernicus. too bad i cant scroll with it. wonder if they will put that into the next update for webOS. ... if it's still even going to be updated.

DJ_Tet

Banned
I've got the keyboard too and while I'm glad I have it I haven't really used it yet. One nice thing is it's got good function keys built in, so that is nice if you have your tablet propped up and are typing, you can use the function keys to do a lot of the stuff you can do on the tablet (search, volume control etc)

Chesskid1

Banned
honestly, i thought ebooks would be terrible to read just because the screen isn't meant for that.

but i tried it out today, default white background is hard on the eyes, just change the background in the kindle app to black and it's pretty much awesome and very easy on the eyes.

plus, you can just copy ebooks in .mobi format from various free book sites (such as project gutenburg) to the kindle folder and they will all load with covers as well.

may get back into reading on this thing. it can really do it all.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Yeah, the added real estate makes it a surprisingly good alternative to kindle. I actually think about it before usually picking the kindle to read, just cause I know it'll be better for my eyes. Wasn't expecting to like reading on the touchpad, though, and I certainly did.

gokieks

The ability to sideload eBooks into the Kindle app has really made me enjoy using the TouchPad a lot more. pReader Alpha works decently, but really doesn't hold a candle to the Kindle app.

Though the Kindle app's tendency to align the book title in the upper-left corner instead of centered, which prevents me from going back to collections screen unless I disable rotate lock and switch it to landscape, is getting quite annoying.

Top Bottom