• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official HP Touchpad Thread of $100 Digital Picture Frames

Pochacco said:
So. How's this Android hackery going?
It doesn't look like any of you are having much fun.
It doesn't seem worth the effort.
I've used my Touchpad near non-stop since Android. I'be also put on a boat load of games and apps, and am greatly enjoying myself.
Tribes of Trusty said:
Arghl 2.1 broke my install, it keeps on rebooting.
Maybe you should try ACME Installer again, to re-install Moboot and the cm update? Just a guess, but it shouldn't do any harm at all.

theskat said:
It seems a bunch of them were doing this today, as mine was doing it and I was going crazy. I kept messing with the AC plug and cable and tried resetting a bunch of times to no avail, and all of a sudden, it just booted. So my advice, disconnect the TP from the charger, un-snap the charger (by twisting it) and then snap it together. Then, connect the TP and just let it charge for a while, eventually it should boot back.

I had to disconnect and connect it like 20 times before it eventually booted. *phew*

Why would you do that? said:
I've used my Touchpad near non-stop since Android. I'be also put on a boat load of games and apps, and am greatly enjoying myself.

Maybe you should try ACME Installer again, to re-install Moboot and the cm update? Just a guess, but it shouldn't do any harm at all.
Well after redoing the update, it doesn't reboot anymore. However it systematically dies on sleep :(

EDIT : I Hope it's not because I updated directly to the 2.1 alpha without updating 2.0 alpha first, that would be stupid.

Smidget

Tribes of Trusty said:
EDIT : I Hope it's not because I updated directly to the 2.1 alpha without updating 2.0 alpha first, that would be stupid.

I went directly from 1.0 to 2.1 without issues (in the 10-15 minutes I tested it this morning)...

Fatalah said:
Glad to see another CM Android release! Interested in your impressions, as I'm trying hard to wait for a final release.

Do we have any idea when a "final release" might happen? It almost feels like it could be months away.

Is there any hope that ICS will run on this thing?

Fatalah

DoctorWho said:
Do we have any idea when a "final release" might happen? It almost feels like it could be months away.

Is there any hope that ICS will run on this thing?
Well, Alpha is one huge step closer. I would guess a few weeks, not months.

As soon as ICS code is released by Google, the Touchpad's specs are fully capable of rocking it out.

Smidget

Yeah, the Alpha is awesome, pretty much everything I've thrown at it works (although I haven't done a WHOLE lot with it) with little to no errors/crashing. I'd play with it in the Alpha state, why not?!

Smidget said:
Yeah, the Alpha is awesome, pretty much everything I've thrown at it works (although I haven't done a WHOLE lot with it) with little to no errors/crashing. I'd play with it in the Alpha state, why not?!

Will I lose all my settings if I upgrade from the Alpha to an eventual final version?

Smidget

DoctorWho said:
Will I lose all my settings if I upgrade from the Alpha to an eventual final version?

I know it didn't matter from Alpha 1 to Alpha 2.1, but not sure about to final... my assumption would be no since it didn't change from Alpha 1 to 2.1...

Smidget said:
I know it didn't matter from Alpha 1 to Alpha 2.1, but not sure about to final... my assumption would be no since it didn't change from Alpha 1 to 2.1...

Hmm. Thanks. I think I'll give this a go tonight or tomorrow. I'm excited about trying out Android finally!

elty

I think using android is like trading UI for app and some speed. I like the swipe up, card and status bar, but web browsing is too slow, no tab, won't load in background and they don't have a IM that supports MSN.
For an alpha it is pretty good. Only thing that crash is the market, and the sleep problem.

It looks like ICS will fix some UI problem. Probably will take the team a long time as ICS seems to be more complicated with hardware accelerated UI and tablet stuff. Assuming Google release the source code of course.

tino

Banned
I will wait for the next CM7 version to upgrade. Now that I manually fixed the wifi sleep problem I don't need anything else.

Actually all my problems are hardware problems such as screen not bright enough, no hardware back key and no SD slot. So I will be keeping my 16GB version and selling the 32GB version.

Eric C

What a day for updates, everything happened all at the same time for me.

I was going to wait to upgrade webOS to 3.0.4... but somehow my touchpad upgraded itself. I didn't even get a chance to uninstall any of the patches I had installed. But patches didn't seem to cause any issues, it seems to be fine. Though I did have to set the logging to minimal again.

http://www.touchpadplus.com/serv07.htm

And now I'll just have to wait for the patches to get updated, and redownload them from preware.

On the Android side, updating webOS to 3.0.4 deleted the boot loader. So I had to put a cminstall folder on my touchpad again. This time I only put the moboot_0.3.3.zip file into it, and went through the steps to run the ACMEInstaller through the command prop. That reinstalled the bootloader and I could boot up Android again.

After I did that I looked online and realized Alpha 2.1 was released. So I downloaded that to my touchpad, and upgraded from the ClockworkMod option on the bootup screen. And that also seems like it installed fine. All my settings and apps were retained! Also, now my speakers shut off when I plug in headphones.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
A new Android update very rarely needs a change to the data partition, so you'll likely never need to reinstall anything until ICS.

Tribes of Trusty said:
Arghl 2.1 broke my install, it keeps on rebooting.

Format /System and try the install again.. I had the same issue.. I had to format /System and /Data and then apply the updated version.. now it works fine.

Touchstone charging is fixed.. big plus for me.

I think Alpha 2 installed correctly...but I'm not sure.

Should the Mod version say "7.0.1-RC1-tenderloin-KANG"?

or is that the old one? or did that not change at all? I ran the update differently (used Recovery to run it instead of Novacom...just because) and am not sure if there's anything I should look for to verify it updated properly.

Also my Marketplace app keeps saying "No Connection [Retry]" anything special I need to do to get that behaving properly?

Dreams-Visions said:
Also my Marketplace app keeps saying "No Connection [Retry]" anything special I need to do to get that behaving properly?
that happened to mine once when I turned it on this morning and it was because my wifi dropped out.

onlyindreams said:
that happened to mine once when I turned it on this morning and it was because my wifi dropped out.
I tested the web browser. Working fine.

Also, after I installed the update, the search bar widget at the top of the screen is broken. "Problem loading widget". Should I re-run the update?

edit: to answer one of my own questions:

For those who were asking-- a simple way to tell if you're using a1 or a2... go to settings->about tablet..

if your kernel was built by scepterr@ -> a1
if your kernel was built by erik@ -> a2

so yes, all is well.

Doopliss

If you have problems with specific apps try clearing their data in the 'manage applications' menu. I had to clear data for the market app to get the apps that were unavailable before to show up.

Doopliss said:
If you have problems with specific apps try clearing their data in the 'manage applications' menu. I had to clear data for the market app to get the apps that were unavailable before to show up.
yea, I tried that with no luck. I'll just blow it away and reload.

jersoc

sweet, those new fixes in the alpha sound great. i'm glad I got pro rom manager, will make backing apps easy.

If I install the new webos update do I just have to re-install the bootloader and everything? Might as well do it if I'm going to stick on the alpha 2 and have to run at least one of those steps again

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
I'll be travelling quite a lot for business in the upcoming months and I may decide to go Touchpad exclusive without carrying a back-up laptop. Quite nervous =X

Really happy with the official update. The browse works much better and no error or lag so far. I don't notice any performance drops by not having the preware optimizations either. Hopefully HP keeps going!

Emit.

If you have videos on your computer that you'd like to stream over your network to your TouchPad running Android, you need to have Emit. I just found it and it's flawless.

I can't recommend it enough.

Dreams-Visions said:
Emit.

If you have videos on your computer that you'd like to stream over your network to your TouchPad running Android, you need to have Emit. I just found it and it's flawless.

I can't recommend it enough.

Does it support HD streaming?

Kolgar

So who else thinks HP borked Touchstone charging for third-party cases on purpose?

Guess they have a big stock of official cases they need to unload.

Any chance this could get fixed through a Preware patch?

Metalmurphy said:
Does it support HD streaming?
I'm watching a 1080p movie now. Occasional framerate stuttering but overall damn fine. I'm not sure if the paid version is any better, as I'm using the free version right now.

I recommend giving the free version a try yourself. 2 sets of eyes and hands trying it out are better than one.

Dreams-Visions said:
I'm watching a 1080p movie now. Occasional framerate stuttering but overall damn fine. I'm not sure if the paid version is any better, as I'm using the free version right now.

I recommend giving the free version a try yourself. 2 sets of eyes and hands trying it out are better than one.

What the crap! I'm guessing it's re-encoding it to lower resolution/bitrate then. No way its running native 1080p.

I just got mine from HP store (finally). Browser and GAF run pretty damn fast/good. Twitch TV is working. Good times on default.

Now to read through this whole thread.....

my video chat app has never worked either before or after the update, just attempting to open it basically fucks everything up to the point where it fails opening up and no other apps will open up any longer and i have to reset the touchpad. fucking thing sucks

IceCold

I think I'm going to put android on this now. Is it easy to reverse the install if anything goes wrong? ie. can this brick my tp?

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
IceCold said:
I think I'm going to put android on this now. Is it easy to reverse the install if anything goes wrong? ie. can this brick my tp?
Just install a webOS doctor (which is a simple 'click next' java program) and you're back to stock.

freshair

IceCold said:

alpha 2 made it super easy to uninstall and remove all traces of android.

hasn't been any reports of bricking yet and in the case that something does go amok, you can just use webosdoctor to revive it.

saunderez

IceCold said:
It can but WebOS Doctor is pretty good at recovering a broken TouchPad, things would have to go drastically wrong for it to be bricked.

IceCold said:

The people of CM have made an uninstaller.

Additionally, there is now an ACME UnInstaller for those who wish to remove the alpha completely. It should remove cm7 and reclaim the space back to the original media partition. Just as with the alpha itself, use the uninstaller at your own risk. Instructions for use are below.

Yours in endless love, The CyanogenMod Team

CM has asked that none of the download links but its on the page where you downloaded cm7 for the touchpad.

Top Bottom