• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official HP Touchpad Thread of $100 Digital Picture Frames

Unknown Soldier said:
Now that's an example of a First World Problem. "My Touchpad is more heavy than I would like for reading with one hand in bed."

If you WANT to keep it, why are you trying to sell it? Touchpad is an actual real tablet runs two real tablet OSes. Kindle Fire runs a custom version of Android which isn't really Android, can only access the Amazon App Store, and is designed from the ground up to be a Kindle on Steroids instead of a regular tablet.

If I were choosing between the Kindle Fire and the Touchpad I would choose the Touchpad hands-down. Especially considering what we paid for our Touchpads compared to what the Kindle Fire will cost. Touchpad is a real tablet, it's going to get ICS someday, and it has a really nice screen to boot.

Wat? Oh well that puts the kibosh on Kindle Fire then.

The big draw for me is Android Marketplace as there are several apps I cannot find equivalents for on the Touchpad (offline mapping software, so I can look up a location without being online).

kmfdmpig said:
I've read comics on both the Nook Color, which is the same size as the Kindle Fire, and the Touchpad. I've never really had a problem with either for comics. The artwork, which I know is a major focus for you, looks better with the 10 inch screen, but if you use a 7 inch screen in landscape mode it should work OK.

Yeah, until they start making comics for these devices there will always be formatting and presentation issues. Right now I read everything in landscape mode, but the page layouts don't always work well this way which is a bummer. It's like watching a movie edited for TV using pan and scan. :(

Lyphen said:
By webapp he meant secondapps.com/neogaf.

Yeah, I never liked that - even back on my crappy 1st Gen iPhone.

I think the Android HC tablet "standard" of 16:10 aspect ratio and 1280x800 resolution is a good compromise between 4:3 screens (which cut off the bottom part of the comic when you zoom to width) and 16:9. A 16:10 screen is closer in dimension to modern comic pages, and those extra lines of resolution do make a difference in text clarity. If you haven't seen it, here's how comics size up on a 16:10 screen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgC-pu-GMwY

elty

So the head UI designer of Honeycomb and Ice Cream Sandwitch was the head UI designer of webOS. Hopefully ICS will arrive on Touchpad, reunion at last.

I pretty much gave up on those free apps already. First they began to be less interesting. Second I can never get the more popular one as they are always released during working hour. Third I don't see myself using webOS for long when Android is working mostly well.

SteveO409 said:
Only got 1 SOD after installing 2.1 on a fresh touchpad(had to use webos doctor & ACME Uninstaller to wipe out android). Going from 1.0 to 2.1 would cause a SOD after every sleep.

Also if you're looking for a great comic app, look into Comicrack

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.cyo.comicrack.viewer.free

The premium version allows wireless sync

man, what a pain. all those apps i downloaded. ugh. my cm7 has the sod every time it goes to sleep.

PS that's not a huge complaint, i realize this is alpha, i read the disclaimers and i know i should have followed the advice to lower my expectations, and then lower it some more. haha. that was a great disclaimer.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
The Take Out Bandit said:
Yeah, I never liked that - even back on my crappy 1st Gen iPhone.
Well, if you want the ability to create reply titles that badly, you can contact ckohler about it.

Lyphen said:
Well, if you want the ability to create reply titles that badly, you can contact ckohler about it.

It's not even that.

Smartphone data bandwidth and the browser discrepancies between a smartphone and a computer are a lethal combination that makes the entire experience of web browsing on a mobile device hugely unpleasant. If I am browsing the web on a mobile device, I'm connected to a wifi access point, thus forgoing the bottleneck of bandwidth through the carrier. So I don't NEED to use some cobbled together lite GAF.

IIRC at the time it also didn't work with user ignore lists, but that's neither here nor there now.

It is what it is, and I just browse the site the same way I've browsed it for years.

Doopliss

eternalthree said:
man, what a pain. all those apps i downloaded. ugh. my cm7 has the sod every time it goes to sleep.

PS that's not a huge complaint, i realize this is alpha, i read the disclaimers and i know i should have followed the advice to lower my expectations, and then lower it some more. haha. that was a great disclaimer.
I had to uninstall SetCPU to stop getting SoD every time with alpha 2.1

SteveO409 said:
Only got 1 SOD after installing 2.1 on a fresh touchpad(had to use webos doctor & ACME Uninstaller to wipe out android). Going from 1.0 to 2.1 would cause a SOD after every sleep.
by SOD, you mean a problem where you couldn't just hold the power and home buttons until the touchpad turns back on?

When mine wouldn't respond after sleep, I'd do that like I do with my iPad when it's frozen and eventually, it'd wake up and reboot.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
Dreams-Visions said:
by SOD, you mean a problem where you couldn't just hold the power and home buttons until the touchpad turns back on?

When mine wouldn't respond after sleep, I'd do that like I do with my iPad when it's frozen and eventually, it'd wake up and reboot.

Yeah I had to hold down the power & home button for 15 seconds to force power on the touchpad after a SOD.

Doopliss said:
I had to uninstall SetCPU to stop getting SoD every time with alpha 2.1

I actually have the other one installed. Cpu Master. I'll try that. maybe it'll fix it. Thanks for the tip.

Hey Take Out Bandit, what apps do you use for offline mapping in droid? Thanks

What the...?! My touchpad has updated itself without any input from me ?!

So now I am on webOS 3.0.4....er...can I still install CM7 ? How do I do a fresh install ?

Tribes of Trusty said:

So now I am on webOS 3.0.4....er...can I still install CM7 ? How do I do a fresh install ?
people are doing it, so there's definitely a way. hopefully someone will link us because I'd like to update my WebOS install even though I have no intention of booting into WebOS ever again.

sfedai0

Banned
Guys, I had to wipe my TP clean to send back for repairs. How do I get my apps back and can someone point me to installing preware and all that stuff again? Or do I have to buy that guys app??

dabig2

shorty_symd said:
Happened the same to me too. :( Now I'm unsure if I can get android on this.

The update doesn't affect the ability to put android on the touchpad. The only thing the update was doing to android people before was breaking their mosboot install, which was the bootloader that allowed you to pick the android system to boot into. But a simple re-installation of that loader fixed the problem.

For you, whenever you choose to, putting android on the system will be as doable and painless as it is for people now.

Krakatoa

Anyone have wireless printing problems after the update? I can no longer connect to my HP Wifi printer....before the update it would see it staright away.

dabig2 said:
The update doesn't affect the ability to put android on the touchpad. The only thing the update was doing to android people before was breaking their mosboot install, which was the bootloader that allowed you to pick the android system to boot into. But a simple re-installation of that loader fixed the problem.

For you, whenever you choose to, putting android on the system will be as doable and painless as it is for people now.
But Preware and subsequent enhancements are dead on WebOS after the update, right? (for now)

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Dreams-Visions said:
But Preware and subsequent enhancements are dead on WebOS after the update, right? (for now)
Haven't bothered to check, but I imagine some are updated by now. Been a couple days. And it really works well after the update without tweaks anyway.

Tapiozona

Banned
A few pages back I saw that someone had gotten Dead Space playing on their touchpad. I don't see the game in the marketplace so I'm assuming it's a side load/hack to get it up and running. Can anyone explain how?

Eric C

Tribes of Trusty said:

Happened to me yesterday too. Apparently that "Install now" "Install Later" thing pops up when you charge it or put it on the touchstone. And it'll continue to popup even after you select "Install Later", and if you don't select "Install Later" EVERY time it pops up it will automatically update itself.

So basically you leave it to charge, then sometime later it turns itself on with the popup. You don't see it so you don't press install later, it updates itself.

Really crappy default behavior IMO

3.0.4 can install android fine though, and if worse came to worse you could always use hp/palms official "webos doctor" to downgrade to 3.0.0 or 3.0.2.

sfedai0 said:
Guys, I had to wipe my TP clean to send back for repairs. How do I get my apps back and can someone point me to installing preware and all that stuff again? Or do I have to buy that guys app??

I think you just have to use the same account, and then you have to redownload all your apps again.

http://www.touchpadplus.com/ for installing preware

Dreams-Visions said:

Preware itself was fine for me, and the patches are all starting to be updated. You just have to download the new patch when it's available. Probably most of the patches will be updated within week.

lawblob said:
How long does it take to install Android on this?

less than 15 min

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHoQM3KW1sU

^That's the Alpha 1 install. You install Alpha 2.1 the EXACT same way, just use update-cm-7.1.0-tenderloin-a2.1-fullofbugs.zip instead of update-cm-7.1.0-tenderloin-a1-fullofbugs.zip

Man my touchpad goes sod so frequently and randomly I can't even determine a pattern out of it. It would be cool to compare each other's model and specs to see if there is something we can figure out.
As for me :

Touchpad 32 Gb bought in early september in France.
WebOS 3.0.4 installed.
Android 2.3.7 Cyanogen Mod Alpha 2.1
CPU Settings left untouched.
Googles Apps installed via CWM.
Likewise, Market Fix installed via CWM.
Langage set to French.
Model : HSTNH-I29C
Material Version : A
Product Number : FB368UA#ABB

SteveO409

Tribes of Trusty said:
Man my touchpad goes sod so frequently and randomly I can't even determine a pattern out of it. It would be cool to compare each other's model and specs to see if there is something we can figure out.
As for me :

Touchpad 32 Gb bought in early september in France.
WebOS 3.0.4 installed.
Android 2.3.7 Cyanogen Mod Alpha 2.1
CPU Settings left untouched.
Googles Apps installed via CWM.
Likewise, Market Fix installed via CWM.
Langage set to French.
Model : HSTNH-I29C
Material Version : A
Product Number : FB368UA#ABB

Try this
http://rootzwiki.com/showthread.php...-Touchpad-port&p=184353&viewfull=1#post184353

Set it on this profile for the past hour...no SOD yet. Got 3 today prior to setting this govnah setting

SteveO409

Tribes of Trusty said:
Nope, still suffers from SOD.

Aww that's a shame :( No SOD yet but if I get a streak of bad luck then I'll uninstall with ACME and go back to alpha 1

edit: ok got a SOD, switching back to alpha 1 later tonight

My Touchpad is becoming impossible to charge. I have to wiggle the cable around while it's plugged in and hope it magically hits the "sweet spot", then try to put it down without losing it. Is this a common problem?

I think I'll probably have to buy a Touchstone, cos the connector on the TP for the USB feels kinda weak and loose.

Fordzilla said:
Is the thread title bogus or can you actually buy one for $100? I cant find one from a reputable seller for less than $200.
Have you been living under a rock for approximately the last 4 months?

Cruzader

Banned
My output still messed up. Even when I plug headphones, I get audio through speakers....odd this happens on WebOS too. Im afraid its a manufacturing error or something. Its been day1 like that, though HP did that on purpose for some odd reason.

Cruzader said:
My output still messed up. Even when I plug headphones, I get audio through speakers....odd this happens on WebOS too. Im afraid its a manufacturing error or something. Its been day1 like that, though HP did that on purpose for some odd reason.
Mine's got a dead pixel, and the casing is cracking around all the thinnest places (power, volume, headphone input). Frankly, the build quality is not very good at all and if I'd paid full price for it I would be extremely unhappy, but what am I going to do, get a replacement?

Doopliss

So I did a 'Full Erase' then ran the webos doctor, thinking it would completely reset everything to factory settings, but those extra tabs in the apps menu that a preware patch added (games and homebrew) are still there. Makes me wonder what other tweaks might be lingering somewhere in the background.

sfedai0

Banned
codswallop said:
Mine's got a dead pixel, and the casing is cracking around all the thinnest places (power, volume, headphone input). Frankly, the build quality is not very good at all and if I'd paid full price for it I would be extremely unhappy, but what am I going to do, get a replacement?

Call HP support. They will expedite you a next day box for you TP. I just got mine back, and turnaround time was about a week. Fixed my crack and dead pixel. Since this is a design defect, there is no guarantee that the deformation wouldnt appear again. They are all out of replacement units. All you can do is have them refurbish it for you.

THanks Eric for the link!

hermit7

So I am finally getting mine from the SMB Store. Are there any starter tutorials that can help me out?

I think I am going to hold of on CM7 until ICS comes out.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
stupid webos update borked my sound from the speakers. It sounds scratchy, and I called up my buddy who also has a touchpad, and he has the same problem with the update. Stupid auto install, I didn't even want to update.

edit- restart fixed it, but still upset that I lost all those speed tweaks and patches I installed :\

Top Bottom