• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official HP Touchpad Thread of $100 Digital Picture Frames

dream

SolidsnackooFoxhound said:
Yes, streaming doesn't work for me at all.

Looking at the reviews, Netflix isn't working properly on any build of.CM7.

Anyone have the old version's apk handy?

Cruzader

Banned
So to update to Alpha2.1 from Alpha1, I just get the zip, place it in a folder in the TP. Then under CWR, choose update from SD>zip.

But then what do I need to clear? I know some cache files, Davik Cache? Could someone post the basic steps after flashing an update? I never get to remember them properly.

Edit: anyone mind helping?

Cruzader said:
So to update to Alpha2.1 from Alpha1, I just get the zip, place it in a folder in the TP. Then under CWR, choose update from SD>zip.

But then what do I need to clear? I know some cache files, Davik Cache? Could someone post the basic steps after flashing an update? I never get to remember them properly.

Edit: anyone mind helping?

You don't need to clear anything. Just put the update on the touchpad and run it in CWR. Then you are good to go. Some people on the rootzwiki forum did a wipe but there was no need for it since this update just overwrited some files.

Cruzader

Banned
You don't need to clear anything. Just put the update on the touchpad and run it in CWR. Then you are good to go. Some people on the rootzwiki forum did a wipe but there was no need for it since this update just overwrited some files.
Nice! Thanx. If I kill my pad, you will owe me ;)

Linkhero1

Dreams-Visions said:
Also my Marketplace app keeps saying "No Connection [Retry]" anything special I need to do to get that behaving properly?
If you still haven't fixed this.

I've experienced the same problem. I just switched over from Android to WebOS and back and the problem went away.

SRG01

saunderez said:
It can but WebOS Doctor is pretty good at recovering a broken TouchPad, things would have to go drastically wrong for it to be bricked.

I'm pretty sure it's impossible to brick a WebOS device unless it was a hardware failure.

Matt

Hey, so, a brand new 32 GB TouchPad just showed up at my door from HP. Thing is, I already got one months ago. So, if anyone wants to buy it off me (no markup), let me know.

hayejin

New update seems to screw up orientation or something.

I open a browser and sometimes browser is pushed to left while discalimer for app catalog appears on the right hand side. It seems to have gone away but not Sudoko HD is completely messed up. I don't know if it's like that b/c it's a demo or not.

Could someone try this out for me?
Download the free version of Sudoko HD Demo(There is only one HD version for free. It's the one that says for Touchpad. Rest are all for Palm).
The number controls are screwed up and show up the right side when in portrait mode forcing the control to be cut off. Same if I try it on landscape mode they go to the bottom for some reason. Can anyone try it out and see if they get same result or it's just my update causing problem.

So how do I do this Android thing?

Is there a quick link to the latest install procedure?

Thanks.

Is Alpha 2.1 the latest version?

DoctorWho said:
So how do I do this Android thing?

Is there a quick link to the latest install procedure?

Thanks.

Is Alpha 2.1 the latest version?

Install instructions are here. Files are at the bottom of the post. Readme file is in the Acmeinstall zip.

Yes, Alpha 2.1 is the latest version. Post if you need help.

Install instructions are here. Files are at the bottom of the post. Readme file is in the Acmeinstall zip.

Yes, Alpha 2.1 is the latest version. Post if you need help.

Thanks. I got up to the point where I have to type in the novacom prompt. I'm pretty sure I installed the novacom thing I was supposed to be I'm getting an "unrecognized command" from the c: prompt.

I put the ACME binary in the root directory "c:" so it would be easy to find.

Figured it out. The readme with the ACMEINstaller does not tell you to copy novacom.exe into the same directory as the ACMEinstaller. That's a big piece of information.

Thanks PCPro

Anony said:
does updating to webos 3.0.4 undo all the preware and the preware patches/apps?

Makes the patches useless. Gonna have to wait until the patches are updated if you do decided to update to 3.0.4.

DoctorWho said:
Figured it out. The readme with the ACMEINstaller does not tell you to copy novacom.exe into the same directory as the ACMEinstaller. That's a big piece of information.

Thanks PCPro

First time i went to do this i wondered why the hell that wasn't in the damn readme.

Now it's just sitting at setup wizard after installing the apps .zip. Is it supposed to just sit here for a while? ;/

A second reboot got it working.

soco

the 2.1 update works so much better for me. it's already more usable than webOS was.

finally a useful browser where you can actually read the text!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I stupidly updated my Touchpad to 3.0.4 or whatever the new thing is and now all I get on my touchpad is a big error and directions to go to www.palm.com/ROM

Is there anyway to even turn off the touchpad at this point? What do I need to do?

sfedai0

Banned
So my TP is on the way back from having the plastic cracks by the speakers repaired. It will be wiped clean. Should I not bother installing Preware again, until they update it to work with the current firmware?

I'm reading the ACMEinstaller txt, and I have a feeling it was purposely made to look intimidating. Is there a cliff notes version of the instructions?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
firehawk12 said:
<span>I stupidly updated my Touchpad to 3.0.4 or whatever the new thing is and now all I get on my touchpad is a big error and directions to go to <a href="http://www.palm.com/ROM">www.palm.com/ROM</a></span>

Is there anyway to even turn off the touchpad at this point? What do I need to do?
Okay, a bit of research says I need to basically reset my device to factory settings. Is there anyway to get the files off the device at least? I don't see anyway to get into USB mode. :(

Eric C

The Big Rig said:
I'm reading the ACMEinstaller txt, and I have a feeling it was purposely made to look intimidating. Is there a cliff notes version of the instructions?

The process is EXACTLY the same as this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHoQM3KW1sU

Just make sure you install alpha 2.1, so you don't want to use update-cm-7.1.0-tenderloin-a1-fullofbugs.zip as that would install the first alpha.

so put these 4 files in the cminstall folder

moboot_0.3.3.zip
update-cwm_tenderloin-1012.zip
gapps-gb-20110828-signed.zip
update-cm-7.1.0-tenderloin-a2.1-fullofbugs.zip

soco

The Big Rig said:

download novacom.

as ericsc said, it's literally just downloading and copying a few files over to the right directory from your PC.

then rebooting, holding the up volume key.

attach usb cable.

use novacom as instructed.

I'm anxious to add Android to my Touchpad but I really wonder if I should wait for ICS. How is Gingerbread on Touchpad, anyways? On my Droid X it's pretty clunky, and it has buttons! How do you do anything on a Touchpad which only has one physical button?

Unknown Soldier said:
I'm anxious to add Android to my Touchpad but I really wonder if I should wait for ICS. How is Gingerbread on Touchpad, anyways? On my Droid X it's pretty clunky, and it has buttons! How do you do anything on a Touchpad which only has one physical button?
Just do it. You can always boot to webos if you don't like it.

I'm considering unloading my 16GB Touchpad to fund a Kindle Fire purchase. Is there a way to reset it to the factory default?

Thanks.

Yes, I'm being lazy and not reading the manual!

soco

Unknown Soldier said:

the notification bar has buttons overlaid on it.

by default, it's not as 'pretty' as webOS, but it's a lot more functional (though still buggy). still a lot of apps you can't download from the store or have slight issues. (the newest version of netflix doesn't work, but the old one did).

Ericsc said:
The process is EXACTLY the same as this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHoQM3KW1sU

Just make sure you install alpha 2.1, so you don't want to use update-cm-7.1.0-tenderloin-a1-fullofbugs.zip as that would install the first alpha.

so put these 4 files in the cminstall folder

moboot_0.3.3.zip
update-cwm_tenderloin-1012.zip
gapps-gb-20110828-signed.zip
update-cm-7.1.0-tenderloin-a2.1-fullofbugs.zip
That video helped a lot. The only thing I had different was that it never let me choose what to boot into.

d[-_-]b

Banned
The Take Out Bandit said:
I'm considering unloading my 16GB Touchpad to fund a Kindle Fire purchase. Is there a way to reset it to the factory default?

Thanks.

Yes, I'm being lazy and not reading the manual!
Device Info -> Reset

Argyle

firehawk12 said:
Okay, a bit of research says I need to basically reset my device to factory settings. Is there anyway to get the files off the device at least? I don't see anyway to get into USB mode. :(

Typically the webOS Doctor will not wipe out the data on the USB drive, but it will restore everything else to factory defaults (so you'll have to redownload your apps, etc.)

-COOLIO- said:
cache seems to be improved via update

I don't know.

It is doing everything I need it to with very little meddling on my part. Web browsing, reading comics, and a little IRC here and there. It's a nice device. I'm just a bit irked by the form factor as it's not really one hand friendly when laying in bed, and yes I am being lazy and complaining about holding my tablet computing device out of science fiction with two hands. :p

Trying to separate myself from it so I can sell it. Though Kindle Fires smaller screen may suck for comic reading. :\

Now that's an example of a First World Problem. "My Touchpad is more heavy than I would like for reading with one hand in bed."

If you WANT to keep it, why are you trying to sell it? Touchpad is an actual real tablet runs two real tablet OSes. Kindle Fire runs a custom version of Android which isn't really Android, can only access the Amazon App Store, and is designed from the ground up to be a Kindle on Steroids instead of a regular tablet.

If I were choosing between the Kindle Fire and the Touchpad I would choose the Touchpad hands-down. Especially considering what we paid for our Touchpads compared to what the Kindle Fire will cost. Touchpad is a real tablet, it's going to get ICS someday, and it has a really nice screen to boot.

kmfdmpig

I don't know.

It is doing everything I need it to with very little meddling on my part. Web browsing, reading comics, and a little IRC here and there. It's a nice device. I'm just a bit irked by the form factor as it's not really one hand friendly when laying in bed, and yes I am being lazy and complaining about holding my tablet computing device out of science fiction with two hands. :p

Trying to separate myself from it so I can sell it. Though Kindle Fires smaller screen may suck for comic reading. :\

I've read comics on both the Nook Color, which is the same size as the Kindle Fire, and the Touchpad. I've never really had a problem with either for comics. The artwork, which I know is a major focus for you, looks better with the 10 inch screen, but if you use a 7 inch screen in landscape mode it should work OK.

SteveO409 said:
Only got 1 SOD after installing 2.1 on a fresh touchpad(had to use webos doctor & ACME Uninstaller to wipe out android). Going from 1.0 to 2.1 would cause a SOD after every sleep
That's exactly my problem. I thinkI'm gonna do it like you.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
Tribes of Trusty said:
That's exactly my problem. I thinkI'm gonna do it like you.
Make sure to back up your apps. I'm going through the painful process of redownloading everything

Doopliss

The Big Rig said:
If you open it in wordpad it's readable, not so much in notepad.

DoctorWho said:
It does say explain in the official thread. It's the second thing in the FAQ.

DoctorWho said:
Now I have android. What awesome things can I do with it?
Download Wiimote Controller to connect your wii remote to the touchpad, then play some Muffin Knight.
Download ES File Explorer and use it to watch videos over your wireless network (MX Video Player seems to be the best player at the moment, but some video formats won't play well).

Kintaco said:
Do you guys use the web app or regular Neogaf when reading the forums?
I was using the web app but then I found out how to get the regular page to display at a readable size in Dolphin HD (page content settings, set default zoom to close). I prefer the regular site for the ability to jump to the last read post.

fse

If I update to 3.0.4 do I need to uninstall the overclock kernel and install the stock one?
What about install android, can I still do that or does the update block that.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I just use the web browser. Once you get rid of the stupid cache GAF is perfect.
By webapp he meant secondapps.com/neogaf.

And yeah, browser is pretty perfect in 3.0.4. Left to right Rubber band scrolling is gone, and cache is fixed.

Top Bottom