• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official HP Touchpad Thread of $100 Digital Picture Frames

Sleeplessnights said:
Found a new TouchPad in a shop for a cheap price, thinking about getting it and putting CM7 on it. Good idea? Worth getting a TouchPad?

If you're at all interested in getting an Android Tablet some point soon you'd be mad not to jump on a cheap Touchpad.

1-D_FTW

Computer said:
I thought I would wait till a stable version of CM7 came out but I have installed the Alpha 2.1 on my touchpad and it runs almost flawlessly. I love being able to access all those apps. I will never go back to WebOS.

Don't tempt me like that.

I'm sure I would have already caved, but the idea of sleep sucking battery power is enough for me to hold out a little longer.

Joe, I have this exact same issue. I ended up putting my music into

media/internal/downloads/boxnet

and now I can access my mp3s in both OSS

anyone have a more scientific/clean answer?

Kintaco

Anony said:
i went through 3 screen protectors to put a good one on
matte screen > glossy
which one did you settle on? I have a skinomi one but its a bit glossy, not a big deal but I'd like to see alternatives.

Eric C

Joe said:
Is it possible to download an mp3 on cm7 in a location that webos can access? I downladed a couple then went on webos and used internalz and couldnt locate the folder I saved them to.

eternalthree said:
Joe, I have this exact same issue. I ended up putting my music into

media/internal/downloads/boxnet

and now I can access my mp3s in both OSS

anyone have a more scientific/clean answer?

That sounds like a bug that was in the first alpha, it's supposed to be fixed in 2.1. People were saying folders/files got deleted when you switched OS's unless you put them into the "downloads" folder.

If you upgraded to 2.1 and you're still experiencing it, maybe try using the ACMEUninstaller to delete Android and install 2.1 as a fresh install.

If that doesn't work maybe they didn't fix it all the way.

http://rootzwiki.com/showthread.php?4011-RELEASE-ALPHA-Discussion-CyanogenMod-team-Touchpad-port
Changelog:
(AKA things we hope we fixed)

* Plugging headphones in should now shut off speaker volume
* Battery drain issues have been (partially) addressed
* More apps now available in market (thanks to Flemmard)
* Temporarily removed suspect fsck_msdos to fix random folder deletion on media/sdcard.
* At least one type of "sleep of death" (TP won't wake up) has been fixed
* Wifi should no longer hang in sleep
* Vibrator no longer disappears
* Touchscreen no longer unresponsive after sleep
* cifs support added
* Touchstone should now charge better
* fixed broken links resulting from first version of installer (mount now works)
* pptp vpn now works
* OpenVPN TUN support added
* USB mounting in vold added
* Misc. fixes to ACME Installer (more graceful exits, nonstandard LVM media location handling, etc.)
* fixes to surfaceflinger to improve performance
* upstream cm7 changes added

1-D_FTW said:
Don't tempt me like that.

I'm sure I would have already caved, but the idea of sleep sucking battery power is enough for me to hold out a little longer.
Sometimes I think Android uses less power than Webos.

LCfiner

So I just sold my touchpad. I just wasn’t using it with an iPad in the house and couldn’t get over its UI and speed deficiencies (some of which were certainly reduced with preware utilities)

I didn’t flip it for more cash. Just got back what I paid.

a shame HP couldn’t get a fully baked product out on the market. there really is potential in WebOS. but it’s had potential for years now and could never quite be as good as it needed to be to succeed.

clav

Anyone running the Android port flawlessly?

I'm hesitant to put it on as I've tried Android ports for other devices in the past, and there always seems to be a SOD issue.

I like the TouchPad how it is. A tablet-size web browser.

kmfdmpig

claviertekky said:

I'm hesitant to put it on as I've tried Android ports for other devices in the past, and there always seems to be a SOD issue.

Put it on last night, and have had no real complaints. I used setcpu to avoid the SOD issues some have had (I've had none). The only real quibble, which is minor, is that the wifi drops off when it sleeps and doesn't come back automatically. Other than that, however, all the apps I'm interested run flawlessly. If you want to see which apps do or do not run then this will help.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...C01N2VlMHVmeFY0LVU2UUNLNDJHRXc&hl=en_US#gid=0

When you set it up the first time be patient as a few times I thought it was stuck before it booted.

I have zero regrets, and doubt I'll boot back into WebOS anytime soon.

Ericsc said:
That sounds like a bug that was in the first alpha, it's supposed to be fixed in 2.1. People were saying folders/files got deleted when you switched OS's unless you put them into the "downloads" folder.

If you upgraded to 2.1 and you're still experiencing it, maybe try using the ACMEUninstaller to delete Android and install 2.1 as a fresh install.

If that doesn't work maybe they didn't fix it all the way.

http://rootzwiki.com/showthread.php?4011-RELEASE-ALPHA-Discussion-CyanogenMod-team-Touchpad-port

Well, my folders and files are there, they haven't been deleted. It's just that the music players in webOS and cm7 are not locating them unless I move them into the folder I specified.

ok, I'll bite, time for the acmeuninstall. The sod is pretty frequent on 2.1. Question, I know it was mentioned a few pages back, but I wasn't able to find it anymore. How do I back up all the droid apps I installed? Thanks.

claviertekky said:

Running Alpha 2 and everything is good here. Not having any issues with battery life anymore and not having the screen not respond when the tablet is sleeping for more than 10 seconds.

LCfiner said:
So I just sold my touchpad. I just wasn’t using it with an iPad in the house and couldn’t get over its UI and speed deficiencies (some of which were certainly reduced with preware utilities)

I didn’t flip it for more cash. Just got back what I paid.

a shame HP couldn’t get a fully baked product out on the market. there really is potential in WebOS. but it’s had potential for years now and could never quite be as good as it needed to be to succeed.
Discontinued device in not-as-good-as-market-leader shocker.

jersoc

kmfdmpig said:
Put it on last night, and have had no real complaints. I used setcpu to avoid the SOD issues some have had (I've had none). The only real quibble, which is minor, is that the wifi drops off when it sleeps and doesn't come back automatically. Other than that, however, all the apps I'm interested run flawlessly. If you want to see which apps do or do not run then this will help.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...C01N2VlMHVmeFY0LVU2UUNLNDJHRXc&hl=en_US#gid=0

When you set it up the first time be patient as a few times I thought it was stuck before it booted.

setcpu doesn't guarantee avoiding the sod. mine sods all the damn time. almost 100%. I can't figure it out either. For hours it's fine, then boom. every damn time again.

Outside of that, the alpha is pretty good though.

Toby

The Adobe Reader touchpad app can actually open .pdf files now. Let us praise this great feat.
about fucking time

LCfiner

butter_stick said:
Discontinued device in not-as-good-as-market-leader shocker.

why the attitude? the shipped product was not as good as another shipped product for the same price. being discontinued had nothing to do with the quality of the thing they put in stores.

LCfiner said:
why the attitude? the shipped product was not as good as another shipped product for the same price. being discontinued had nothing to do with the quality of the thing they put in stores.
I'm assuming you bought it after it had been discontinued though. Seems pointless when you have an iPad and didn't intend to profit. Why even keep it this long?

Chorazin

Installed the new webOS update today and most of my preware hacks still worked right, and there were updates the the kernel and Govenah to enable the overclock again. This thing's working great!

Caoz

its night and day for me after putting android netflix work flawlessly vs my iconia where i have not been able to make it work takes ten mins to set it up i think its a no brained

LCfiner

butter_stick said:
I'm assuming you bought it after it had been discontinued though. Seems pointless when you have an iPad and didn't intend to profit. Why even keep it this long?

I was curious about webOS because I had heard good things about it for a while and I wanted to try it out for more than a couple weeks. I wasn’t planning on selling it till just this week.

I really wish HP and Palm had figured out how to make WebOS a better performer because the OS has really great ideas. it just doesn’t feel as smooth as it should.

Once you install some preware stuff WebOS Itself isn't too much of a burden. It just doesn't empower you in any way. The lack of apps means there's nothing about WebOS that makes it worth keeping. As a vanilla OS, it's no better or worse than anything else for tablet use.

sfedai0

Banned
LCfiner said:

Maybe you were one of the lucky ones that had no build quality issues. At $150 its to be expected, except for the fact that the original MSRP was $500. I'm not surprised they conducted a firesale.

DR3AM

Dreams of a world where inflated review scores save studios
does webos have a netflix, twitter and facebook app? what about flash support? does espn3 work on it?

Eric C

DR3AM said:
does webos have a netflix, twitter and facebook app? what about flash support? does espn3 work on it?

On webOS

no netflix, have to use android for netflix
twitter, I don't know, maybe there's an app on the app catalog, or you could just use the webbrowser.
yes facebook app
yes flash
espn3 If it works on your ISP then I think it works... wait does espn3 block phones and tablets? I'm not sure. If espn3 works on your PC and doesn't work on webOS, it probably would work if you install the hulu fix.

If you want to install the hulu fix you can get it from here
webOS 3.0.4 HULU fix
Also, I recommend you download Xecutah, XTerm, XServer from Preware so you can install and uninstall the patch right from the touchpad itself.

Download the hulu.zip from the above link, unzip it and put the "hulu" file on your touchpad.

Now using your touchpad just go into Xecutah, start XTerm up and type
/media/internal/hulu
and now hulu and other blocked websites will work, BUT DOING THAT WILL BREAK THE webOS HP app catalog.

when you want to go into the webOS hp app catalog just start up XTerm and type
/media/internal/hulu uninstall
and now you can go into the app catalog.

Easy

kmfdmpig said:

I had SOD issues with the first alpha but the second alpha I don't think I had one yet. It's still buggy as shit but the ability to use Opera Mobile over WebOS's browser means I'm never going back.

Cruzader

Banned
Ok I just fooled with FPse (psx emu) and plays like a champ too!

Only thing is that the videos look weird like pixelated but the filtering option helps I suppose. Can be used with a DS3 with the sixasix app tool I posted about before. Tomba 1 plays slow with filter like 20~26FPS while with filter off 40~45. I hope emulation improves with Android OS port. Didnt they not get the 3D rendering all the way for the port yet in Alpha2? Ah well, sick device!

1-D_FTW

Ericsc said:
On webOS

no netflix, have to use android for netflix
twitter, I don't know, maybe there's an app on the app catalog, or you could just use the webbrowser.
yes facebook app
yes flash
espn3 If it works on your ISP then I think it works... wait does espn3 block phones and tablets? I'm not sure. If espn3 works on your PC and doesn't work on webOS, it probably would work if you install the hulu fix.

If you want to install the hulu fix you can get it from here
webOS 3.0.4 HULU fix
Also, I recommend you download Xecutah, XTerm, XServer from Preware so you can install and uninstall the patch right from the touchpad itself.

Download the hulu.zip from the above link, unzip it and put the "hulu" file on your touchpad.

Now using your touchpad just go into Xecutah, start XTerm up and type
/media/internal/hulu
and now hulu and other blocked websites will work, BUT DOING THAT WILL BREAK THE webOS HP app catalog.

when you want to go into the webOS hp app catalog just start up XTerm and type
/media/internal/hulu uninstall
and now you can go into the app catalog.

Easy

Haven't tried the Hulu fix, but I can get ESPN 3 on the PC via Comcast, but it doesn't work on the Touchpad browser.

gokieks

Installed CM7 Alpha 2.1, and while it's impressive how well it works, it really highlights just how not suited to Tablets Gingerbread is. The browser is better than webOS, to be sure, and the dedicated Google service apps (Gmail, Google Maps, Google Reader) are nice, but the overall usability of the OS (speed aside) actually isn't as good as webOS, and quite a few apps actually work and feel better on webOS (Kindle, Facebook, generic email client, etc). I sure hope ICS gets ported to this soon.

And Emit, the main reason I decided to give Android a shot, is really a very very poor man's version of AirVideo, on both the client and server side. Better than nothing, I suppose, but I'm guessing at the end of it all, I'll have ended up buying an iPad just because AirVideo works so much better than any video streaming with on-the-fly transcoding.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
did the update bork adobe reader for anyone else?

edit: for anyone with this issue just remove the reader via preware and restart the touchpad

dream

gokieks said:
Installed CM7 Alpha 2.1, and while it's impressive how well it works, it really highlights just how not suited to Tablets Gingerbread is. The browser is better than webOS, to be sure, and the dedicated Google service apps (Gmail, Google Maps, Google Reader) are nice, but the overall usability of the OS (speed aside) actually isn't as good as webOS, and quite a few apps actually work and feel better on webOS (Kindle, Facebook, generic email client, etc). I sure hope ICS gets ported to this soon.

And Emit, the main reason I decided to give Android a shot, is really a very very poor man's version of AirVideo, on both the client and server side. Better than nothing, I suppose, but I'm guessing at the end of it all, I'll have ended up buying an iPad just because AirVideo works so much better than any video streaming with on-the-fly transcoding.

There's an app called, uh...Mirage, I think, that works with Air Video. Not as well as the real Air Video client, but it does work.

kmfdmpig

jersoc said:
setcpu doesn't guarantee avoiding the sod. mine sods all the damn time. almost 100%. I can't figure it out either. For hours it's fine, then boom. every damn time again.

Outside of that, the alpha is pretty good though.

I must be fairly lucky as I haven't had one yet and have been running it for about 28 hours or so. It seems like there is a lot of variability with SOD, which is odd. I'm sure the future Cyanogen updates should work out the kinks.

kmfdmpig

Jeels said:
Touchpad won't charge, tips, suggestions?

Should I call HP? Will they repair it?
It sounds like others have had success getting HP to repair them.

I know that for mine the connector for the charger can be extremely finicky. Is it possible that it's just not connecting well? If the sound is on it will be easy to tell if it's connecting and then disconnecting.

Jeels

kmfdmpig said:
It sounds like others have had success getting HP to repair them.

I know that for mine the connector for the charger can be extremely finicky. Is it possible that it's just not connecting well? If the sound is on it will be easy to tell if it's connecting and then disconnecting.

the touchpad is completely off so I can't tell. I have tried to put things that charge phones that have the same size input and no luck.

thirty

Banned
Phone chargers aren't the right voltage. Too little juice. I was having trouble with my touchstone and it was the connection between the cable and the big cylinder piece. Even tho it looked like it was all the way in I had to wiggle it a bit so it would charge again. If you're completely drained it's not going to come right back if the connection is loose. Wiggle it a bit more or take it out completely and reseat it and try again in 20 min.

0OoO0

Toby said:
The Adobe Reader touchpad app can actually open .pdf files now. Let us praise this great feat.
about fucking time

What do you mean? PDF has always been working for me ever since I got my touchpad in August

Bleepey

Is there a free PDf reader that allows me to organise my PDFs into folders. For some reason i find it hard that someone can be so shortsighted not to have that feature in the PDF reader.

Swipe up instead of using the button. Only noobs use the horrid button :p
(edit: up from the bottom bezel edge)

On pdf: I don't think there is, but there are patched versions of the stock reader floating around that implement a memory function and add some more stuff, but yeah - no folder aware reader that I know of.

Bleepey said:
Is there a free PDf reader that allows me to organise my PDFs into folders. For some reason i find it hard that someone can be so shortsighted not to have that feature in the PDF reader.
Aldiko is good. It even remembers which page you were at the last time you opened the file and I missed that in WebOS.

WTF?!

I didn't want to update to the new version of WebOS as that would break most of my pre-ware patches. So I kept hitting install later.

Then I set my touchpad to charge and now I see that it has started updating automatically?

Anony

whatsinaname said:
WTF?!

I didn't want to update to the new version of WebOS as that would break most of my pre-ware patches. So I kept hitting install later.

Then I set my touchpad to charge and now I see that it has started updating automatically?
u must have pressed something wrong
exact thing happened to me, didnt install

disabled all the notifications (home screen lock menu) because it was annoying, i can still see the update icon in the taskbar though

1-D_FTW

whatsinaname said:
WTF?!

At least a ton of them have finally been updated now. Still waiting for remove tap ripple, though:(

Eric C

1-D_FTW said:
Haven't tried the Hulu fix, but I can get ESPN 3 on the PC via Comcast, but it doesn't work on the Touchpad browser.

I was looking online and it seems on webOS, some people can get espn3 to load fine, others needed the hulu fix, and for some it doesn't work even with the hulu fix. Very strange, I wonder why it doesn't work for some people at all.

I guess the only way to know for sure is to try it both with and without the hulu fix and see if espn3 works.

whatsinaname said:
WTF?!

Happened to me too.

Whole thread about this over on precentral

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touchpad/304160-my-tp-updated-3-0-4-itself.html

HardBeatZ on precentral.net said:
The device gives the choice to you, but doesn't mean you will always be available to see that choice. There are times (such as brown outs) that the device will present this option and you may not see it.

HardBeatZ on precentral.net said:
Usually within a few minutes of plugging in a charger or docking a device it will prompt you about the update.

So with that I will reiterate that you may not have known that you was asked if you wanted to install the update, therefore it did install the update when you did not provide an answer.

Top Bottom