• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official HP Touchpad Thread of $100 Digital Picture Frames

knee

Zapages said:
Please allow current HP Touchpad owners to add this... I would really enjoy it on the Touchpad. :) Will buy another for 100 dollars if it comes with Win8. :)

lol, so basically you're saying that you'll buy the OS if they add the OS.

Peagles

Peagles said:
I just got the updated private browsing patch from Preware, but it seems to completely break my browser. All I get is a white screen no matter what I try to load and I can't even get the Web button at the top to respond to my touch. I've removed it now so I can use the browser again but wondered if anyone else has this issue? Private browsing isn't an absolute must, but I do quite like having it!

Anyone?

Anyone have an answer to mah question?

Bearded Dudebro said:
Is there a way to get into more advanced wireless settings? My coworker's trying to set his up to get on our network at work here and we need WPA2 Enterprise and some other advanced options. Just choosing Enterprise from the dropdown doesn't do it.

Bearded Dudebro said:
Anyone have an answer to mah question?

Install xecutah/xserver/xterm from preware and play around with them (I don't use those programs, but other people had success with them for more advanced network options).

Kintaco

Loving my Touchpad, but damn does it have shoddy construction, or materials really. The plastic cover is horrible, I don't have hairline cracks by the speakers, I have a chunk about to fall off. The idea of sending it off for repairs sucks, especially since they will only replace it with the same crappy piece plastic.

Hyunkel6

Anyone else sometimes experience muffled audio when watching videos on Youtube or websites? Or Youtube videos suddenly stopping to load indefinitely?

Kintaco said:
Loving my Touchpad, but damn does it have shoddy construction, or materials really. The plastic cover is horrible, I don't have hairline cracks by the speakers, I have a chunk about to fall off. The idea of sending it off for repairs sucks, especially since they will only replace it with the same crappy piece plastic.

It truly is horrible, the flex all around the back is just bad news for its future, i really wont be surprised if they start literally falling apart, maybe thats why they killed it, fearing a massive recall + lawsuit down the road.

I wonder if using the official case helps at all.

Something that really worried me too is the battery, once the battery dies, the device will be a paper weight, when the battery depletes and you charge it, you need to wait like 20 minutes for it to charge enough to actually boot, which means you cant use the device off the power adapter alone :(, better use this as much as possible before its useless.

dream said:
You guys are complaining about the build quality as if HP promised to be number one plus or something.
For $99 I really couldn't give a damn but I can't believe they were selling these for nearly the same price as an iPad.

dream said:
You guys are complaining about the build quality as if HP promised to be number one plus or something.

When i saw the crack on my speaker i really didnt get that angry as i understood how much i paid for it, still, i want this to last as long as possible, hopefully long enough for competing tablets to come down in price considerably.

I have the .jar file for the novacom installer
But when i click it winrar opens up??

Nevermind, figured it out

Alright, looks like everything worked..............now lets get some crazy android shit going

What are some good apps/games for Android? Free ones

Tapiozona said:
Do you even have to goto "backup" to backup your WebOS stuff? When you sign into your palm account it will automatically download everything you had before. Applies to any palm device you sign into.
Would someone mind elaborating please... I asked this before and it was unanswered.

Is there a way to backup your TP (apps, settings, and all) before switching over to android?

EDIT: lmgtfy...

You could do a simple drag and drop?! lol

D-Fens

I'm trying to root my HP TouchPad so I can put Android on it, but I'm stuck. I'm following a guide that instructs me to type "novaterm" into terminal (I'm on a Mac, btw). But every time I type it in it asks for a password. I'm not sure how I am supposed to enter the password, can someone help?
Here's a screenshot (my password is 123456)

DpEzR.jpg

saunderez

D-Fens said:
I'm trying to root my HP TouchPad so I can put Android on it, but I'm stuck. I'm following a guide that instructs me to type "novaterm" into terminal (I'm on a Mac, btw). But every time I type it in it asks for a password. I'm not sure how I am supposed to enter the password, can someone help?
Here's a screenshot (my password is 123456)
Why do you have a password? When I enabled Dev Mode I didn't input a password so I never get asked in Novaterm. You might have to go back into Dev Mode and remove the password.

D-Fens

saunderez said:
Why do you have a password? When I enabled Dev Mode I didn't input a password so I never get asked in Novaterm. You might have to go back into Dev Mode and remove the password.

I couldn't remove the password so I just restored the device. It works now. Thanks

D-Fens

ugh, I really can't figure this next step out. sorry for the double post.
So i have to input "novacom put file://tmp/system/system.tar.bz < system.tar.bz" but i keep getting this message: "-bash: system.tar.bz: No such file or directory".
Am I supposed to put the file somewhere where it isn't right now? Or do I need to somehow rewrite the path since I'm on a mac? Well I have no idea how to do either.. any help is appreciated

thirty

Banned
So are they fixing bezel cracks? I have 2. Wtf I'm so gentle with this thing but upon feeling the plastic at the crack the plastic is flimsy as fuck. 500$ device? What a joke.

Metalmurphy said:
Does anyone know of any other Home Screen replacements like SPB Shell 3D?

some one had awesome theme on of these topics. It was categorized by music, games and each had seprate live wall paper. I want that one. Also Has anyone tried spb shell on android on touchpad?

edit: here it is

Enduin said:
Anyone here sporting the Hubs custom layout/navigation on their TF? Im surprised there isnt an Android Tablet Customization thread, I know when I get my TP the first thing Im gonna do is waste 4 hours making it look hot as shit to then lord it over my friends and their plain Jane iPads.

Heres a decent youtube vid showcasing the layout. Looks pretty sweet.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqHNUU0uadU

I want that on touch pad. Is it possible? This thing is soooooooooo amazing lol

crazy monkey said:
some one had awesome theme on of these topics. It was categorized by music, games and each had seprate live wall paper. I want that one. Also Has anyone tried spb shell on android on touchpad?

edit: here it is

I want that on touch pad. Is it possible? This thing is soooooooooo amazing lol

That's Android 3.x so probably not :/

kehs

Banned
Metalmurphy said:
That's Android 3.x so probably not :/

It actually uses ADW EX launcher, so it's entirely possible on Gingerbread. Some of the HC widgets, will obviously not work, but I don't see many being used there.

Anyone else cannot login to hotmail on touchpad (webos)? I tried both the stock browser and the advanced browser many times on different days but it always hangs on infinite refresh after I out in my email and password. Same thing happens on my phone too (Nokia). Yes I know hotmail sucks and this experience proves it further, but it's intimidating to consider abandoning it after it's been my primary email for well over a decade. *sigh*

I do have it setup on the Mail app and it works for the most part, but today I wanted to send an email to my bother and I don't have his address memorized, I always just picked up his address from the autocomplete list when composing an email, failing that I'll get it fro the Sent folder, neither of which is working on touchpad mail app.

kehs

Banned
Naked Snake said:
Anyone else cannot login to hotmail on touchpad (webos)? I tried both the stock browser and the advanced browser many times on different days but it always hangs on infinite refresh after I out in my email and password. Same thing happens on my phone too (Nokia). Yes I know hotmail sucks and this experience proves it further, but it's intimidating to consider abandoning it after it's been my primary email for well over a decade. *sigh*

I do have it setup on the Mail app and it works for the most part, but today I wanted to send an email to my bother and I don't have his address memorized, I always just picked up his address from the autocomplete list when composing an email, failing that I'll get it fro the Sent folder, neither of which is working on touchpad mail app.

You should be able to sync your hotmail contacts if you setup your hotmail through the exchange method in the email app.

http://www.thesearethedroids.com/20...mail-mail-calendar-and-contacts-with-android/

Cruzader

Banned
So is it safe to use SetCpu with the alpha android? Any drawbacks? I'd like to overclock it alittle bit to improve FPse psx emulator. It runs slow when you turn that smoothing filter. When its off, games look like a pixelated mess and cuts the framerate. I'd like to run setcpu at a faster bump, don't want to burn anything inside.

DR3AM

Dreams of a world where inflated review scores save studios
is it easy to install anroid and is it worth it? Webos is pretty basic but gets the job done

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Man, I still haven't opened up my Touchpad...seriously don't know if I should sell it or not, lol. So indecisive.

bwahhhhh

Cruzader said:
So is it safe to use SetCpu with the alpha android? Any drawbacks? I'd like to overclock it alittle bit to improve FPse psx emulator. It runs slow when you turn that smoothing filter. When its off, games look like a pixelated mess and cuts the framerate. I'd like to run setcpu at a faster bump, don't want to burn anything inside.

I haven't had any issues in the last couple weeks. at 1.7ghz max, 384mhz min.

tino

Banned
Wario64 said:
Man, I still haven't opened up my Touchpad...seriously don't know if I should sell it or not, lol. So indecisive.
If its 16gb, open it. If its 32, sell it. I sold mine on Amazon for 265.

1-D_FTW

Wario64 said:

Open it. Screw the Fire. To me, 7 inches isn't any more portable, but it loses a lot of its functionality. Would never trade a 10 inch model for 7.

WebOS is surprisingly decent. And when ICS hits, I wouldn't trade my Touchpad for 3 Fires.

Blackhead

Redarse
1-D_FTW said:
Open it. Screw the Fire. To me, 7 inches isn't any more portable, but it loses a lot of its functionality. Would never trade a 10 inch model for 7.

WebOS is surprisingly decent. And when ICS hits, I wouldn't trade my Touchpad for 3 Fires.
Are you a little person? I'm not a huge dude but I can easily hold a 7" tablet in one hand and fit it in my pants pocket. You can't do that with a 10 incher

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Greyface said:
Are you a little person? I'm not a huge dude but I can easily hold a 7" tablet in one hand and fit it in my pants pocket. You can't do that with a 10 incher
What the hell kind of pants are you wearing.

Greyface said:

In your pants pocket? I'm probably a bit below average size (5'9" and ~170 lbs) but I don't think I know anyone that can fit a 7" tablet in their jean pockets.

Top Bottom