• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official HP Touchpad Thread of $100 Digital Picture Frames

polyh3dron said:
That's been updated.
Yeah, I really missed it. Also the thread should probably be split into traitors (android users) and patriots (webos users).
just kidding, but the thread should probably be split anyways

Phantast2k said:
Yeah, I really missed it. Also the thread should probably be split into traitors (android users) and patriots (webos users).

still rocking webos till extremmly easy andoid port comes with ics and very easy to switch to webos. may be i will wait for windows 8 on this baby lol. I love webos though

No_Style

I LOVE CM 7.1 alpha on this. It works surprisingly well. The web browsing improvement alone makes it worth it.

Dolphin HD and tabs are awesome.

Phantast2k said:
What about fence sitters who dual boot such as myself?

Dispite being really careful i just noticed that i have a crack developing on my speaker :(, so sad.... How do i wipe the touchpad clean i want it to be completly empty of my data and apps before i send it in. Thanks

No_Style said:
I LOVE CM 7.1 alpha on this. It works surprisingly well. The web browsing improvement alone makes it worth it.

Dolphin HD and tabs are awesome.
Really? The scrolling feels clunky to me, the fonts looks like ass and the overall website rendering is ugly as fuck.

crazy monkey said:
still rocking webos till extremmly easy andoid port comes with ics and very easy to switch to webos. may be i will wait for windows 8 on this baby lol. I love webos though
Honestly its easy to set up and dual boot right now.

Tapiozona

Banned
crazy monkey said:

Not sure how much easier it can get. It literally takes 5 minutes to switch over, if that.

You put 4 files in a folder, type in one command and its done.

-----------------------
What he said
        ˅

Tapiozona said:
Not sure how much easier it can get. It literally takes 5 minutes to switch over, if that.

Don't forget to put the Acmeinstaller in the novacomd folder! >Program files (x86) >Palm, inc>novacomd.

Eric C

zephervack said:
Dispite being really careful i just noticed that i have a crack developing on my speaker :(, so sad.... How do i wipe the touchpad clean i want it to be completly empty of my data and apps before i send it in. Thanks
I don't know. Saturday, I just wanted to start over with a fresh install of 3.0.4 and a fresh install of Alpha 2.1.

But on webos when I went into "Settings", then "Device Info", then "Reset Options", and finally selected "Secure Full Erase". When it finished and came back on, some of my preware patches were still installed such as the "add launcher tabs" one. So I don't think a "Secure full erase" erases EVERYTHING if you installed preware and patches. I think anything preware has to be manually unistalled just to be on the safe side.

So here's what I did when I wanted to completely wipe my touchpad clean, and I think I succeeded this time.

1. I uninstalled Android with the ACMEUninstaller. I'm not sure if there's a way to backup android apps or not. I didn't really care, I didn't have that many apps yet.

You can download ACMEUninstaller from a link on this page.

2. Now back on webOS I went into "Settings" and selected "Backup" to backup all my official webOS apps and stuff. This won't backup anything from preware though.

3. Next I went into preware and took a multiple screenshoots (home button + power button) of everything I installed from preware. Then I transferred those screenshot pics to my PC my USB cable. If you don't care about reinstalling your preware patches you can skip this step.

4. Now back on my touchpad I went into preware and I manually uninstalled EVERY patch I had on my touchpad. Since I took screenshots of what I had installed, it'll be easy to remember what to reinstall later.

5. Finally NOW I did a "Secure Full Erase".

6. After the "Secure Full Erase" was finished I attached my touchpad to my PC and used the WiFi only 3.0.4 "webOS doctor", it's an official app from HP/Palm. This was just to be 100% sure everything was back to factory default, because the last time I just did "Secure Full Erase" it left some things.​

Ericsc said:
I don't know. Saturday, I just wanted to start over with a fresh install of 3.0.4 and a fresh install of Alpha 2.1.

But on webos when I went into "Settings", then "Device Info", then "Reset Options", and finally selected "Secure Full Erase". When it finished and came back on, some of my preware patches were still installed such as the "add launcher tabs" one. So I don't think a "Secure full erase" erases EVERYTHING if you installed preware and patches. I think anything preware has to be manually unistalled just to be on the safe side.

So here's what I did when I wanted to completely wipe my touchpad clean, and I think I succeeded this time.

1. I uninstalled Android with the ACMEUninstaller. I'm not sure if there's a way to backup android apps or not. I didn't really care, I didn't have that many apps yet.

You can download ACMEUninstaller from a link on this page.

2. Now back on webOS I went into "Settings" and selected "Backup" to backup all my official webOS apps and stuff. This won't backup anything from preware though.

3. Next I went into preware and took a multiple screenshoots (home button + power button) of everything I installed from preware. Then I transferred those screenshot pics to my PC my USB cable. If you don't care about reinstalling your preware patches you can skip this step.

4. Now back on my touchpad I went into preware and I manually uninstalled EVERY patch I had on my touchpad. Since I took screenshots of what I had installed, it'll be easy to remember what to reinstall later.

5. Finally NOW I did a "Secure Full Erase".

6. After the "Secure Full Erase" was finished I attached my touchpad to my PC and used the WiFi only 3.0.4 "webOS doctor", it's an official app from HP/Palm. This was just to be 100% sure everything was back to factory default, because the last time I just did "Secure Full Erase" it left some things.​

Thank you, i just did the webos doctor thing and sure enough some of the preware stuff is still there, i will follow your method, seems killer, THANKS

Tapiozona

Banned
Do you even have to goto "backup" to backup your WebOS stuff? When you sign into your palm account it will automatically download everything you had before. Applies to any palm device you sign into.

zephervack said:

It's unfortunate for you but i just want to tell you that a lot of people have reported cracks around the speaker.

zephervack said:

Are there specific behaviors that make cracks more likely to occur? I need to know this (haven't even checked mine for cracks yet).

Tapiozona said:

-----------------------
What he said
        ˅

polyh3dron said:
Honestly its easy to set up and dual boot right now.

I know but there still seems to be issues with wifi and such reading from this thread. My waifu uses touchpad more than me lol so it has to be simple for her to fix . She freaks out on even simple message on webos lol. I think ics port would not take that long.

elty

Anyone have this problem? Sometimes I shutdown my touchpad it just restart sand I have to shut down again. It usually happen With CM7 but once it happened on mboot menu.

sfedai0 said:
wtf my home button is getting recessed in to the unit. Is everyone's button flush or what.

Nah just a horribly flawed design. Luckily, I rarely used it with WebOS due to swipe gestures (which is why I always tell people not to buy the cases that cover the bezel) and the bar in CM7.

br0ken_shad0w said:
Nah just a horribly flawed design. Luckily, I rarely used it with WebOS due to swipe gestures (which is why I always tell people not to buy the cases that cover the bezel) and the bar in CM7.

It's possible not to use the home button in CM7? (I never used it)

Pat

Just received my new HP TouchPad as well.

It's a sleek machine. I understand why it didn't sell well tough, especially when you can have an iPad 2 for almost the same price. But for 200$CAN, I don't regret it at all.

I'll probably make the jump to the Android OS, but I see they only made a Gingerbread port. Are they going to make a Honeycomb port soon?

Pat said:

It's a sleek machine. I understand why it didn't sell well tough, especially when you can have an iPad 2 for almost the same price. But for 200$CAN, I don't regret it at all.

I'll probably make the jump to the Android OS, but I see they only made a Gingerbread port. Are they going to make a Honeycomb port soon?
Honeycomb wasn't open source. When Ice Cream Sandwich releases, it WILL be open source however, so there will eventually be a CyanogenMod version that works on the Touchpad.

plc268

I'm probably going to feel stupid asking this, but how the hell do I use novacom (on windows)?

I installed the Palm SDK, I've installed novacom drivers, and nothing works. I don't have a novacom.exe, but I do have a novacomd.exe in my Program Files/Palm Inc./amd64 folder. But no luck using that either. Am I missing something here, or are the instruction terribly written?

crazy monkey said:
I know but there still seems to be issues with wifi and such reading from this thread. My waifu uses touchpad more than me lol so it has to be simple for her to fix . She freaks out on even simple message on webos lol. I think ics port would not take that long.
You must have missed the part where I said its dual boot

plc268 said:
I'm probably going to feel stupid asking this, but how the hell do I use novacom (on windows)?

I installed the Palm SDK, I've installed novacom drivers, and nothing works. I don't have a novacom.exe, but I do have a novacomd.exe in my Program Files/Palm Inc./amd64 folder. But no luck using that either. Am I missing something here, or are the instruction terribly written?
I find it funny that the novacom thing is actually easier to do on a Mac than with windows thanks to the awesome terminal

Cruzader

Banned
Still hopeful that my audio jack output gets fixed by Android. Sounds like its a software bug but then again I don't trully know. Wanna listen to radio or something late at night and can't. Boo

Pat

polyh3dron said:
Honeycomb wasn't open source. When Ice Cream Sandwich releases, it WILL be open source however, so there will eventually be a CyanogenMod version that works on the Touchpad.

Oh damn, didn't know Honeycomb wasn't open source. Is there a reason for that?

Gonna install CM7 now then.

Cruzader

Banned
crazy monkey said:
sorry. I will try it soon. I really want to do it when icecream release this month
ICS will take a while to port. Im sure the CMteam are working to get to beta status before doing any other porting.

Fatalah

Cruzader said:
ICS will take a while to port. Im sure the CMteam are working to get to beta status before doing any other porting.
A while? A few weeks after code is made available -- that ain't a thing!

plc268

polyh3dron said:
I find it funny that the novacom thing is actually easier to do on a Mac than with windows thanks to the awesome terminal

Well I figured out the novacom issue (looked in the wrong folder...duh), but now I'm getting a cannot connect error. I know why this happens (because the novacom daemon isn't running), but I'm not sure how to fix it.

I really wish they took a little more time in their instructions on the novacom part. I'll figure it out eventually though.

Edit: finally got ACMEinstaller to finally work. Just had to restart my computer and reconnect everything.

Peagles

I just got the updated private browsing patch from Preware, but it seems to completely break my browser. All I get is a white screen no matter what I try to load and I can't even get the Web button at the top to respond to my touch. I've removed it now so I can use the browser again but wondered if anyone else has this issue? Private browsing isn't an absolute must, but I do quite like having it!

Mook1e

Pat said:

I just received 2 for my kids from HP today.
I already got one (should have gotten 2) from Onsale. I needed four for my kids. I've already dual-booted the first one with Gingerbread. There isn't a working Honeycomb port, I believe because the source for Honeycomb was never released. I'll be happy to jump directly to Ice Cream Sandwich.

Anony

is it safe to update to 3.0.4 and keep all my preware patches, and other data saved on it?
i dont want to move and reorganize all my files

clav

Rumor: HP testing Windows 8 on TouchPad.

http://claytonmorris.squarespace.com/blog/2011/10/21/hp-testing-windows-8-on-touchpads.html

HP testing Windows 8 on TouchPads

The products we thought were nixed at HP may not have actually been nixed just yet. The HP TouchPad, WebOS, and the PC division are still on the chopping block, but my sources at HP say that with the new CEO Meg Whitman, they haven't actually been chopped yet.

So those HP TouchPads may not be historical artifacts after all.

Sources at HP tell me the hardware team has been busy doing proof of concept work testing Windows 8 Preview Edition on the fire sale devices. Internally there's been discussion about reviving the defunct tablets or building new devices with Windows 8 in mind.

HP effectively killed the TouchPad back in August when it announced plans to stop supporting webOS devices. A $99 fire sale ensued, and that demand prompted HP to build another round of TouchPads. We still don't know when that second round of devices will be available.

Layoff notices are also on hold as HP assesses former CEO Leo Apotheker's decision to shutdown the PC division. Part of that assessment includes WebOS. Sources on the WebOS team tell me that HP is actively meeting with a number of interested buyers including HTC, LG, Nikon, and Amazon.

Just think, an LG WebOS enabled television or a WebOS enabled camera from Nikon.

sfedai0

Banned
Got a prob with Splashtop for WebOS. Mine is stuck at the connecting screen. Icon just keeps spinning. What am I doing wrong??

Zapages said:
Please allow current HP Touchpad owners to add this... I would really enjoy it on the Touchpad. :) Will buy another for 100 dollars if it comes with Win8. :)

HA_HA_HA,_OH_WOW.jpg

Top Bottom