• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official HP Touchpad Thread of $100 Digital Picture Frames

Blackhead

Redarse
Soka said:
In your pants pocket? I'm probably a bit below average size (5'9" and ~170 lbs) but I don't think I know anyone that can fit a 7" tablet in their jean pockets.
Have you actually tried? I'm speaking from experience here; I've been able to fit a Blackberry Playbook and a Nook Color in the front pockets of my jeans. It's like a little paperback book (compared to the huge hardcover that represents the 10" tablets).

I got my touchpad today. I want to put Android on it, but a few sites that I have read say that it is hard to do. I have never tried doing anything like this before, do people think it is difficult? I also see that there are different guides for doing it, is there one that people think is the best to follow?

Godslay

Banned
yankeehater said:
I got my touchpad today. I want to put Android on it, but a few sites that I have read say that it is hard to do. I have never tried doing anything like this before, do people think it is difficult? I also see that there are different guides for doing it, is there one that people think is the best to follow?

It's not hard. If you can create new folders, and put files in folders I think you can do it. About the toughest part is navigating on command line, which is easy if you can follow directions or have the most basic knowledge of moving around in directories. I posted a video when the first alpha came out, but there might be something better out there.

tino

Banned
Soka said:
In your pants pocket? I'm probably a bit below average size (5'9" and ~170 lbs) but I don't think I know anyone that can fit a 7" tablet in their jean pockets.
Its very easy to fit the Galaxy Tab 7 in my regular front and rear jeans pockets. I am 5'7.

The 7" Nook Color however its harder. its a hair bit too wide.

1-D_FTW

Greyface said:
Are you a little person? I'm not a huge dude but I can easily hold a 7" tablet in one hand and fit it in my pants pocket. You can't do that with a 10 incher

I'm 6'3". So not that little. And while I've never tried stuffing a 7 inch tablet into my pocket, I can't imagine how it'd work.

Plus, I just don't see the point of 7 inches. I definitely subscribe to Jobs' philosophy on that one. To me it lands squarely in no man's land.

tino

Banned
1-D_FTW said:
I'm 6'3". So not that little. And while I've never tried stuffing a 7 inch tablet into my pocket, I can't imagine how it'd work.

Plus, I just don't see the point of 7 inches. I definitely subscribe to Jobs' philosophy on that one. To me it lands squarely in no man's land.
So you just shit on it without even trying one. Whatever.

Owzers

posted this in the other hp thread but this one is probably better.

I'm running into problems reading Marvel Digital Unlimited comics. Basically i'll be turning pages and eventually it will just stop loading and go into a black screen. Anyone have experience with this or know a solution?

I just tried going into the "full screen" option to see if that would work better but it hard crashed my touchpad and made it reboot.

O_________________________________O

NomarTyme

I gonna stick with WebOS until Windows 8 hit this bitch. It been a good experience so far! reading manga and watching mega video is nice.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
NomarTyme said:
I gonna stick with WebOS until Windows 8 hit this bitch. It been a good experience so far! reading manga and watching mega video is nice.
You should really try CM7 for the android comic reading apps. Comicrack is a godsend

1-D_FTW

tino said:

I gave Wario my opinion, you can give yours.

Have I tried stuffing one in my pocket? No. Do I think it'll fit in my pockets? No. And if it did, it'd look mega stupid.

Do I live an existence where I've never seen a 7 inch tablet? Give me a break. I'm simply stating my opinion. Any smaller than the touchpad and I'd be pinching and zooming to read webpages. No thanks. There's a lot to be said for real estate with a tablet. Clearly you don't value it. But your opinion isn't greater than mine. Sorry.

eastmen

Banned
tino said:

I have to agree with him. I"ve used the playbook and I don't see the point. Phones are already at 4inchs and it looks like 5 inch phones are going to be coming soon. If a website doesn't fit properly on a 5 inch screen or a 7 inch screen what the point. Rather just have my phone. A 10 inch screen still provides double the screen realistate as my phone even at 5 inches.

jgkspsx

I missed the promo codes for SmartOffice, but bought it anyway. Awesome software. As a PDF reader it destroys the Adobe one.

Now if only they'd flip the switch in the catalog entry that lets it work on the Pre 3...

Anony

after a week or 2 of constantly pressing update later to 3.0.4, somehow, it updated to 3.0.4

just fuck, if i didnt want it to update, will you just FUCK OFF, if i wanted to update, i will do it, christ

all the patches now are useless

speaking of patches, does anyone know if they fixed the private browsing patch yet? It made my browser useless a week ago, had to uninstall.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Anony said:
after a week or 2 of constantly pressing update later to 3.0.4, somehow, it updated to 3.0.4

just fuck, if i didnt want it to update, will you just FUCK OFF, if i wanted to update, i will do it, christ

They've all been updated, so...

Lyphen said:
They've all been updated, so...
Yeah, was about to post that. No reason to complain anymore.
I wanted to install CM7 for a better pdf reader (I need to be able to highlight stuff), but now that SmartOffice has been ported I think I'd rather stay with webos and buy that.

Anony said:

Same thing happened to me, I told it not to update but it did anyway.

Just open Preware and there will be a list of all patch updates, select "Download and Install All" and you're done.

Well, not quite in my case at least, one patch "Muffle System Logging" or something like that refused to update and refused to uninstall either. Had to use Emergency Patch Recovery to uninstall and reinstall all patches, but even then it wasn't more than 10 minutes or so.

I wish there was a way to disable software/app update notifications.

IceCold

I get an error when I update or even remove the muffle system logging patch.

"Error Updating: See IPKG Log" Then when I click to see the log I see this:

Unable to run command: IPKG_OFFLINE_ROOT=/media/cryptofs/apps /bin/sh /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/ipkg/info/org.webosinternals.patches.system-muffle-system-logging.prerm 2>&1

Anybody have an idea why?

Agent X

I missed out on the TouchPad firesale back in August. When HP announced that they would be producing one more batch of TouchPads (presumably using their inventory of existing parts), I kept my eyes open for when they might make the announcement of its availability.

It looks like they've made that announcement, according to this page from HP's Web site.

http://h20435.www2.hp.com/t5/The-Next-Bench-Blog/UPDATE-Last-Chance/ba-p/68749

After doing a bit more searching, it appears that the only way to get in on this batch of TouchPads is to purchase a new HP or Compaq PC from Best Buy starting November 1. At that point, you'll be given the opportunity to purchase the 32 GB TouchPad for $149.99 (no 16 GB models available). See this PC Magazine article and this PalmInfocenter article for more information.

I'm not prepared to buy a new PC now, so unfortunately it looks like my chances of ever landing a TouchPad at a decent price are rapidly evaporating.

IceCold said:
I get an error when I update or even remove the muffle system logging patch.

"Error Updating: See IPKG Log" Then when I click to see the log I see this:

Unable to run command: IPKG_OFFLINE_ROOT=/media/cryptofs/apps /bin/sh /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/ipkg/info/org.webosinternals.patches.system-muffle-system-logging.prerm 2>&1

Anybody have an idea why?
Same thing is happening to me.

crazy monkey said:
I say 7 inch fits perfectly in my pants. It does not make pants too tight.
th_hammer.gif

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Cruzader said:
Sell it to me....without any mark up please? :)

I think I'm gonna open it soon after seeing people play emulators on CM7 with a DS3. I just need to know how to prepare my Touchpad out of box.

How should I go about in updating stuff anyway? I know there's a new version of webos since then.

fse

is there a way to undo the partition I had to create for android without losing my data? I rather have my 32gb back into one partition...

wiid said:
is there a way to undo the partition I had to create for android without losing my data? I rather have my 32gb back into one partition...

You have to create a partition for andriod? That's a bummer.

hayejin

Is anyone succeed in installing preware after recent webos update?

It's stuck on installing org.webosinternals.preware_1.8.3_arm.ipk forever.

wiid said:
It's not one big 32 gb partition, even with WebOS. Cyanogen only takes 2 extra GB away.

But you can use the custom made uninstaller called ACMEUninstaller to revert to the way it was when you bought the device. Find it here:
http://rootzwiki.com/topic/3477-releasealpha2discussion-cyanogenmod-team-touchpad-port/

I believe you run it the same way you run ACMEInstaller... with novacom.

Naked Snake said:
You have to create a partition for andriod? That's a bummer.
it's automated, so you personally don't have to do it, if that's what you're worried about. But yes, Android and its apps needs a place to stay. It's allocated 2 GB.

1-D_FTW

Wario64 said:
I think I'm gonna open it soon after seeing people play emulators on CM7 with a DS3. I just need to know how to prepare my Touchpad out of box.

How should I go about in updating stuff anyway? I know there's a new version of webos since then.

Jakfu said:

http://www.touchpadplus.com/serv07.htm

I like to do JakFu's after the above. It's the pretty pictures guide and will get most of it done. THen you go to the other after it all makes sense.

Why would you do that? said:
it's automated, so you personally don't have to do it, if that's what you're worried about. But yes, Android and its apps needs a place to stay. It's allocated 2 GB.

Oh that's not bad.

The Take Out Bandit said:
Man, so far no need to install Android. I'm really impressed.

I played a bit on my colleague's iPad 2 today... damn the touch/scrolling is so smooth and responsible compared to Touchpad.

Joe

webOS updated now I don't get the boot loader screen on startup and just boots straight to webos, how can I bring that back?

LQX

KoruptData said:
So is it safe to update to the new webOS with all the preware hacks and overclocking and cache disabling?
For some reason my Touchpad updated by itself which worried me at fist but it doesn't appear it affected preware or anything really.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
KoruptData said:
So is it safe to update to the new webOS with all the preware hacks and overclocking and cache disabling?

Yes, it'll automatically turn off most of the hacks, but just go to PreWare and re-download the hacks which have been updated for the new webOS

Top Bottom