• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official HP Touchpad Thread of $100 Digital Picture Frames

DJ_Tet

Banned
Can anyone tell me how to change the frequency that the touchpad checks email?

I remember doing that tweak when I first got the touchpad but can't remember how to do it again.

Absol

Email>Tap on the Email thing top left corner>Preferences & Accounts>Pick the account you want to change>Sync Criteria

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Bleepey said:
Is there gooing to be a better versionof the cyanogen mod or should i install this version?
Eventually, there will be releases every night. That shouldn't stop you from installing it if you're interested in running Android.

sgi02

Banned
Bleepey said:
Is there gooing to be a better versionof the cyanogen mod or should i install this version?

I had been on the fence myself and decided to give it a go. Don't let the Alpha state naming convention sway you too much, this is definable a beta caliber release. Its been exceptionally stable for me thus far, even while being overclocked. Ive been using it daily for the past week or so without so much as a single crash. The standard disclaimer of your mileage may vary most certainly applies, however id say go for it. It has certainly gave my Touchpad a new lease on life!

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
sgi02 said:
I had been on the fence myself and decided to give it a go. Don't let the Alpha state naming convention sway you too much, this is definable a beta caliber release. Its been exceptionally stable for me thus far, even while being overclocked. Ive been using it daily for the past week or so without so much as a single crash. The standard disclaimer of your mileage may vary most certainly applies, however id say go for it. It has certainly gave my Touchpad a new lease on life!
Reading this post just made me install CM7 on my Touchpad.

It's all working so far, and I now have an Android Touchpad, yey!

narca

Banned
OP got banned?

Anyways, I just rediscovered this thing (haven't switched to Android yet, waiting for a more stable release) and I noticed the App Catalog has been expanded quite a bit.

Anyone have some solid app recommendations for a good way to kill time?

MiloFoxburr said:
Use SetCPU. My Touchpad is running at 1.7ghz and has been since I first installed CM7 so it's stable for sure.
App purchased and tested. The TP runs more smoothly and the change was noticeable from the first few seconds. Reading PDFs (which is my main reason for owning a tablet) is more comfortable than ever before!

Thanks.

DR3AM

Dreams of a world where inflated review scores save studios
ok, webos is boring and no netflix, how do i "upgrade" to anriod? whats the easiest tutorial?

Fatalah

DR3AM said:
ok, webos is boring and no netflix, how do i "upgrade" to anriod? whats the easiest tutorial?
I'm earnestly waiting for the CM team to release a one-click install solution. I think it was a goal mentioned in one of the first videos.

So, I installed Android. Neat. But I can see the famous interface lag everyone complains about.

I'll stay on WebOS for now, until something spectacular happens to Android. :/

kehs

Banned
lunarworks said:
So, I installed Android. Neat. But I can see the famous interface lag everyone complains about.

I'll stay on WebOS for now, until something spectacular happens to Android. :/

It's a preliminary build of CM/android.

Also go into Spare Parts, and change the window and transition animations to fast or off. Makes a world of difference for "input lag".

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
lunarworks said:
What do you use?
I was using Comicrack but it crashes too often once you have a large collection. I am currently using Perfect Viewer with File Browser option(it makes sense when you have the app open). Make sure to set File sort to "File name( Numeric, Descending). so it will sort the manga rar/zip from 001-end. It remembers last read positon and has a "Read" marker too

1-D_FTW

Was browsing the forums to see if there was any major progress happening and stumbled upon this old thread that kept getting bumped:

http://rootzwiki.com/topic/6641-qua...hpad-by-manufaturer-how-to-reset/page__st__20

The developers were just posting today how they finally arranged to trade with a guy who had one of the Android in the wild HPs. Seems they really need HP to release the source code to solve some of the tuffer problems. And HP, of course, denies any exist in the wild (and thus aren't obligated to release the source). They're hoping by having a unit, serial number, and receipt they can force HP's hand. Guess that explains why progress has kind of stalled on some of those bigger issues. Hopefully this leads to good things in the future.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
Bleepey said:
How long does it take to install android. I am tired and dont' wanna be up for hours
If you follow a step by step guide, I would say 10 or 15 minutes. Use alpha 1 though. 2 is unstable and 3 is being worked on

Have CM7 on mine, how would I overclock it? I go into Cyanogenmod Settings --> Performance --> CPU Settings and no matter which Governor I choose, I don't have the options to change the Max CPU Frequency beyond 1188 MHz.

Edit: nm, installed AnTuTu CPU Master and was able to OC to 1512 MHz. Much snappier playing MGS in FPSCE.

So CM7 is still a bit buggy on Touchpad. I find that I have to turn WiFi off and turn it back on whenever I change access points, as it fails to find the new access point correctly and connect to it. Also, Gingerbread is kinda ugly on a tablet.

SetCPU has a Touchpad profile already. I just installed it and it detected my Touchpad and let me set up to 1.7ghz automatically. Easy.

I've now discovered the joys of Firefox 8 on Touchpad. It's really, really great. Too bad it doesn't support Flash, but it otherwise mimics the desktop version of Firefox in almost every way and the performance is very good on Touchpad as well. Thanks for Firefox Sync I can look at a list of my tabs on my desktop Firefox and poke the desktop tab I want and it opens up that tab on my Touchpad. Seamless and glorious!

Unknown Soldier said:
So CM7 is still a bit buggy on Touchpad. I find that I have to turn WiFi off and turn it back on whenever I change access points, as it fails to find the new access point correctly and connect to it. Also, Gingerbread is kinda ugly on a tablet.

I'm going to try Blade Wifi Fix and see if it fixes it. This is really my only, yet big issue I have with CM7. It's buggy for me as well, but mainly minor annoyances. I didn't even have a SOD issue once I updated to alpha2 (though I use the touchstone to charge and not the USB charger).

As buggy as it is right now, it's still a better experience than WebOS.

Edit: Had no wifi issues so far.

Nekofrog

Banned
So either HP or TigerDirect just fucked a lot of people.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...tails.asp?EdpNo=1435092&csid=ITD&body=REBATES

$149***** touchpad with mail in rebate. But of course the fine print after you purchase:

Rebate is only for touchpad + new hp computer on same receipt.

Of course, the page for the touchpad itself said NOTHING about this little requirement for a rebate until much later in the day. I didn't get one, but my friend did. Wonder how many hoops he'll have to jump through now to get this taken care of.

Is this stuff normal for Tiger Direct?

Nekofrog said:
So either HP or TigerDirect just fucked a lot of people.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...tails.asp?EdpNo=1435092&csid=ITD&body=REBATES

$149***** touchpad with mail in rebate. But of course the fine print after you purchase:

Rebate is only for touchpad + new hp computer on same receipt.

Of course, the page for the touchpad itself said NOTHING about this little requirement for a rebate until much later in the day. I didn't get one, but my friend did. Wonder how many hoops he'll have to jump through now to get this taken care of.

Is this stuff normal for Tiger Direct?

That's kind of shitty but the picture does clearly say 1 Touchpad and 1 HP Laptop or Computer on Receipt. So not exactly hidden away but not that easy to spot either.

H24-100054-special01-tmc.jpg

Nekofrog

Banned
MiloFoxburr said:
That's kind of shitty but the picture does clearly say 1 Touchpad and 1 HP Laptop or Computer on Receipt. So not exactly hidden away but not that easy to spot either.

http://images.highspeedbackbone.net/skuimages/large/H24-100054-special01-tmc.jpg[/QUOTE]

Reread my post. It didn't say that before.

I actually have fallen in love with CM7 on my Touchpad. Not because of Gingerbread, which is clunky and primitive on a tablet. Because of the apps, the glorious, glorious apps!

- MoboPlayer, a free video player which properly supports subtitles from mkv files.
- MangaWhat, a free comics/manga reader which supports offline and online viewing.
- BBC News, which looks actually pretty okay despite no official tablet support.
- Amazon Kindle, a working non-shitty version of this app!
- Amazon App Store, and the Free App of the Day!
- Firefox 8! I've replaced the stock Android browser with this. It blows the WebOS browser away. No Flash support is kind of annoying but the stock Android browser is still there if I need to hit a site which requires Flash.
- Google's official apps. Gmail, Google+, Maps, Earth, Voice, etc. No GPS on Touchpad prevents some of the apps from being as useful as you'd like, but that's okay. I have a phone too.
- Custom keyboards. I'm using T9 right now (a previous Amazon App Store Free App of the Day) and it lets me poke out words, trace them like Swype, or even dictate.

Cruzader

Banned
RukusProvider said:
Nice! This is what we've all been waiting for, right!?
Yea but HP port will take like 3 months. Also means Alpha3/Beta for CM7 wont happen as they said they would drop that project when ICS source comes out. Double edge sword.

Eric C

Cruzader said:
Yea but HP port will take like 3 months. Also means Alpha3/Beta for CM7 wont happen as they said they would drop that project when ICS source comes out. Double edge sword.
Today dalingrin said on twitter they are still going to release alpha 3, then they'll move on to ICS.

Cruzader said:

On the CM thread

when dalingrin was asked(~3hrs ago) if alpha 3 would be released b4 working on ICS...he tweeted; "yup"

EDIT: Guess I was beaten.

1-D_FTW

Hopefully it means Alpha 3 is close to a release. Otherwise it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to continue when everyone wants ICS.

Top Bottom