• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official HP Touchpad Thread of $100 Digital Picture Frames

thirty

Banned
so i got it working but didnt do the clockworkmod i guess. so how do i get the marketplace and google apps on here without that? or how do i get clockworkmod?

clav

Do I need a task killer or should I just trust Android's way of handling background apps?
so i got it working but didnt do the clockworkmod i guess. so how do i get the marketplace and google apps on here without that? or how do i get clockworkmod?

http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/index.php?title=Latest_Version/Google_Apps

Download CM7 version. Copy and paste the zip file in the root via USB cable. Install it in clockword mod.

The original post of the Alpha 3 thread has a mention about how to install clockword mod post ACME + moboot install.

If I have some time on my hands, I'll do a write up how I installed it as somehow, the creators haven't put the effort in making an easy to read guide.

I'm assuming you installed Cyanogen with ACME? You install Clockworkmod the exact same way.

To install the Google Apps, download gapps-gb-20110828-signed.zip from the link in claviertekky's post above me.

Then install the zip using the Clockworkmod Recovery. I think you might also be able to install it via ACME, but am unsure about that.

clav

Then install the zip using the Clockworkmod Recovery. I think you might also be able to install it via ACME, but am unsure about that.

This method is confirmed as I did that.

If you put all three files (CM7, moboot, and clockwork mod zips) in the cminstall folder, ACME will find them and install it automatically.

got that. but clockworkmod recovery isnt in the reboot options

Did you re-install moboot? Not 100% sure, but I think you'll have to re-install Moboot for it to see the recovery.

This method is confirmed as I did that.

If you put all three files (CM7, modboot, and clockwork mod zips) in the cminstall folder, ACME will find them and install it automatically.
Yes, but I'm unsure if you can install the Google Apps via ACME.

freshair

Someone give it a try. I somehow doubt it since the readme didn't mention about ACME acknowledging the existence of the gapps file.

If it fails, then it's not a big deal to go to clockwork mod to install it.

You can. I had them all in my cminstall folder upon installing the first alpha it worked fine.

elty

Looks like webOS will have 3.0.5 pretty soon too, so I guess once that hits I will install 3.0.5 and Alpha 3 (or 3.1).

DJ_Tet

Banned
Glad to see HP is continuing to update their software.

Anyone getting the speaker buzzing still? Mine is still popping up, it goes away on a reboot but it's worrying me that the speakers won't last long. It didn't happen before WebOS 3.0.4 I think so I'm hoping it's a bug, maybe 3.0.3.

Sad cause that's my main use is music streaming.

clav

Been running Android as of yesterday.

No freezes so far.

Some of the native Google applications like Reader and the browser force close a lot, which seems typical of the Android experience judging from the comments in the app store.

Overall, everything seems to work as expected.

I would say this build is safe to try.

Skimming through this thread, I don't see an easy guide how to install, so if I feel like it, I'll write one up.

Glad to see HP is continuing to update their software.

Anyone getting the speaker buzzing still? Mine is still popping up, it goes away on a reboot but it's worrying me that the speakers won't last long. It didn't happen before WebOS 3.0.4 I think so I'm hoping it's a bug, maybe 3.0.3.

Sad cause that's my main use is music streaming.

Oh wow, glad i'm not the only one that got that problem, I thought I blew my TouchPad speakers when I got that speakbuzz.

Mine has been fine after completely shutting it down and rebooting.

DJ_Tet

Banned
Mine has happened at least four times so far. I mentioned it before and I think foxdie chimed in too.

It's frustrating but I hope it's just a bug.

anyone using the Nov. 8 updated version of Netflix?

just wondering if it's safe to update to the latest version or if it's still brokered on Touchpad?

edit: oh, it's telling my I *must* update now, so I guess I'll let ya know.

edit 2: yep, the latest version of Netflix does work on Alpha 3. For those wondering.

Fatalah

I upgraded to the new Alpha 3 build and I'm still experiencing the annoying wifi bug. Anyone else experiencing it?

The wifi connection is never remembered, and the only workaround is to delete the previously saved connection.

VanWinkle

I haven't really used my 32gb Touchpad at all since I bought it on the firesale. I'll definitely bust it out if people put ICS on it, because I quite like the form factor, and I also quite like ICS.

reKon

Banned
NICE, I now have Android on this tablet, hell yeah! Now to figure out which apps to get for my first ever "android device". Messing around with this should hold me over until the Galaxy Nexus comes

Petrie

Banned
So I haven't used my touchpad in a few weeks, and when I boot it and try to launch the market, I get the message "authentication required. Please log into your google account."

Im already logged into my account so this doesn't make sense to me. What's going in?

thirty

Banned
Thanks. Google apps work, flash on the other hand doesn't seem to. YouTube only plays sound and Netflix looks like shit. Any help there?

So I haven't used my touchpad in a few weeks, and when I boot it and try to launch the market, I get the message "authentication required. Please log into your google account."

Im already logged into my account so this doesn't make sense to me. What's going in?

Clear your app data and retry.

reKon

Banned
CM 7.1 alpha 3 on this thing is awesome. I love the huge selection of apps and there's so much to do in terms in customization (yes, I'm android noob). Everything works well and pretty smoothly for the most part. The only bad thing so far is the sluggishness of the app market

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Ooh, alpha 3, nice.

I had an issue where my Touchpad refused to let me use WiFi at my place (Yet connected to my sister's without issue) on alpha 2, almost freezing the device when I tried to use the WiFi menu. I hope this sorts it.

dream

CM 7.1 alpha 3 on this thing is awesome. I love the huge selection of apps and there's so much to do in terms in customization (yes, I'm android noob). Everything works well and pretty smoothly for the most part. The only bad thing so far is the sluggishness of the app market

Welcome to a post-webOS world!

dabig2

I upgraded to the new Alpha 3 build and I'm still experiencing the annoying wifi bug. Anyone else experiencing it?

The wifi connection is never remembered, and the only workaround is to delete the previously saved connection.

This happened for me too, but then I was able to fix it with this:

1)Open up the Terminal app
2) type this into the terminal:
su
rm -rf /data/misc/wifi && reboot

what that basically does is wipe clean your wifi settings. I was having wifi problems since android first came on the TP, but I havn't run into a problem yet these last 3 days after doing this.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I really hope ICS brings a good web browsing experience. Back in webOS because I can't stand the bad flash playback and browsers in Gingerbread.

Fatalah

This happened for me too, but then I was able to fix it with this:

1)Open up the Terminal app
2) type this into the terminal:
su
rm -rf /data/misc/wifi && reboot

what that basically does is wipe clean your wifi settings. I was having wifi problems since android first came on the TP, but I havn't run into a problem yet these last 3 days after doing this.

Thank you so much for chiming in, I'm going to try this out right away!

Update: It worked!

Update 2: It didn't work :(

I really hope ICS brings a good web browsing experience. Back in webOS because I can't stand the bad flash playback and browsers in Gingerbread.

You couldn't stand...Firefox? Really? The WebOS browser is so unbelievably shitty even compared to the stock Gingerbread browser, but Firefox blows them all away. I wonder what you are doing which requires Flash, though.

Top Bottom