• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official HP Touchpad Thread of $100 Digital Picture Frames

Joe

im on alpha2 using dolphin browser and never have a problem with youtube or flash video.

using webos never, ever crosses my mind and i could never imagine going back to it.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
You couldn't stand...Firefox? Really? The WebOS browser is so unbelievably shitty even compared to the stock Gingerbread browser, but Firefox blows them all away. I wonder what you are doing which requires Flash, though.

You're insane. With scrolling patches, the webOS browser supports and runs all websites much better than anything on Gingerbread, which doesn't support 2d hardware acceleration at all.

And working 720p vs. Pixelated 480p is an easy choice. Again, no 2d acceleration. And flash support on mobile is done, so webOS is the best its gonna get.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
o_O The speakers on my touchpad just turned to crap.

I'm sure I would have noticed them being this bad as I've watched movies on it a million times, and all of a sudden it's a giant distorted sounding crappy pile of sound...

:( I take it i'm screwed

You're insane. With scrolling patches, the webOS browser supports and runs all websites much better than anything on Gingerbread, which doesn't support 2d hardware acceleration at all.

And working 720p vs. Pixelated 480p is an easy choice. Again, no 2d acceleration. And flash support on mobile is done, so webOS is the best its gonna get.

News flash: WebOS doesn't support hardware acceleration either. Youtube app works in 720p on CM7.

kharma45

I'm sure I would have noticed them being this bad as I've watched movies on it a million times, and all of a sudden it's a giant distorted sounding crappy pile of sound...

Same for mine ever since the 3.0.5 update, wish I'd just stuck with 3.0.2 now, it was perfectly fine.

DJ_Tet

Banned
Even when you guys reboot your system your speakers are crackling?

Ugh, I hope mine don't go :( So far they have been 'fine' each time I reboot.

HolyCheck

my speakers do not crackle. but I haven't even booted into WebOS since CM7 launched. so I've done no updates at all.

I like how you answered no ones questions but informed us you are superior.

:p

Trying a complete turn off and on now, will report back with findings.

kharma45

Even when you guys reboot your system your speakers are crackling?

Ugh, I hope mine don't go :( So far they have been 'fine' each time I reboot.

Its better after a reboot then gets progressively worse.

even after the reboot though they're not as good quality as they were pre-3.0.5 :(

HolyCheck

Its better after a reboot then gets progressively worse.

even after the reboot though they're not as good quality as they were pre-3.0.2 :(

Yup, just booted back up, much better, but still not as good as pre 3.0.2

How long does it take to get progressively worse? If its a few hours I'm ok.. but if its 20 - 30 minutes.. sigh

kharma45

Yup, just booted back up, much better, but still not as good as pre 3.0.2

How long does it take to get progressively worse? If its a few hours I'm ok.. but if its 20 - 30 minutes.. sigh

I rarely use the speakers on mine so I'm not sure of the timeframe.

Using them even less now :/

Did you try making a phone call using Skype? Every time this happens I just fire up the phone app and call the Skype test number and it fixes it.

DJ_Tet

Banned
my speakers do not crackle. but I haven't even booted into WebOS since CM7 launched. so I've done no updates at all.

Thanks for the update.

I know you're being a prick but you do make an interesting point. For those whose speakers are popping have you tried Android? Does the problem persist there?

Would be a good way to figure out if it's a hardware or software issue, hopefully it's software.

HolyCheck

Thanks for the update.

I know you're being a prick but you do make an interesting point. For those whose speakers are popping have you tried Android? Does the problem persist there?

Would be a good way to figure out if it's a hardware or software issue, hopefully it's software.

Wouldn't have the foggiest on how to set up android I'm afraid.. I'm very un good at doing that kind of thing so I won't even attempt.

and for the above, didn't know that that could be a fix, will try it later today when the speakers degrade, thank you.

DJ_Tet

Banned
the fuck?

come again? I was simply answering the question and giving some background on my experience.

would you like to try that comment once more? or is everyone just on some retarded shit tonight?

Naa I said what I meant to say. It's getting old reading all the trolling in this thread but you can try and act naive if you like.

You didn't answer the question as it obviously wasn't directed at you. If your speakers aren't crackling then your experience isn't really helping.

Like I said though you do raise an interesting point and hopefully someone with crackling speakers will try Android and see if the issue is hardware or software related.

Wouldn't have the foggiest on how to set up android I'm afraid.. I'm very un good at doing that kind of thing so I won't even attempt.

and for the above, didn't know that that could be a fix, will try it later today when the speakers degrade, thank you.

It's really easy but I can understand the hesitation if you aren't a tinkerer. My speakers have 'crackled' four or five times now like I've posted previously, but each time it's gone away upon reboot. Really hoping it's a software issue.

kharma45

Hopefully some time in December, I've held off flashing Gingerbread for a long time as I wanted a proper tablet OS on it, even the CM tweaks couldn't make me switch.

Sooner it arrives the better.

I hope when they get ICS on the Touchpad, they fix the battery draining issue in Gingerbread. Its been on standby for most of the last two days, and the battery drains around 15% per night.

Is ICS the same as Internet Connection Sharing, or something else?

I didn't read the context, but usually in threads where you see "ICS" and Android being discussed, they're referring to the new major overhaul of Android OS, termed "Ice Cream Sandwich". And more specifically, when it may be coming to their device of choice (TouchPad, in this case).

Any of you Android fellows have the infinite wifi loop? Just reinstalled Android on my Touchpad and this thing is driving me crazy. Scan... connect... disconnect... scan... etc.

Any of you Android fellows have the infinite wifi loop? Just reinstalled Android on my Touchpad and this thing is driving me crazy. Scan... connect... disconnect... scan... etc.

That annoyed the shit out of me. Luckily Blade Wifi Fix took care of 99% of the problems (I still get a wifi problem once a while, but not every day like I used to).

thirty

Banned
I hope when they get ICS on the Touchpad, they fix the battery draining issue in Gingerbread. Its been on standby for most of the last two days, and the battery drains around 15% per night.

Was just coming to ask about this. Phones actually have sleep mode. This doesn't have that option. Only power off or the old TV screen standby which I don't think is the same as sleep. May just start shutting down completely. Loving it too much to go back to web os. This thing flies now.

alternade

I don't know what's going on but the touchscreen just stopped working. Can't shut it down either. I guess i gotta wait till it dies. Unless I can reboot it from my computer?

Ronabo

I don't know what's going on but the touchscreen just stopped working. Can't shut it down either. I guess i gotta wait till it dies. Unless I can reboot it from my computer?

I had the same issue last night. I had it plugged into the wall charger most of the day. Then I wanted to use it to watch some stuff in bed at night. I went to turn it on and I couldn't get it to work.

After searching, I found out the fix was to hold the power button + the home button for about 30 seconds. Afterwards it worked normally.

Not sure what caused it. Probably some bug in Android.

Me too, only started after the update to Alpha 3
I had the same issue last night. I had it plugged into the wall charger most of the day. Then I wanted to use it to watch some stuff in bed at night. I went to turn it on and I couldn't get it to work.

After searching, I found out the fix was to hold the power button + the home button for about 30 seconds. Afterwards it worked normally.

Not sure what caused it. Probably some bug in Android.

Fatalah

You couldn't stand...Firefox? Really? The WebOS browser is so unbelievably shitty even compared to the stock Gingerbread browser, but Firefox blows them all away. I wonder what you are doing which requires Flash, though.

Don't most common video sites use flash? With Firefox's lack of flash support, you'd think it'd run better. Opera Mobile is my browser of choice for the Touchpad.

Anyone have a link to a simple walk through telling me how to get Android on the touchpad? Preferably a version with dual boot options.

freshair

Various file types.

I don't convert anything. If you're using webos, kalemsoft can handle all types I've thrown at it and android has many free players that do the same.

But if you need to convert for whatever reason, my vote also goes to handbrake

coldfoot

Banned
I want to buy the Kalemsoft media player but I'm vary of putting my credit card info on HP's servers, since I don't know what's going to happen to them and how properly they'll bother to maintain it. Is there any other way of buying it via Paypal or something?

Doopliss

I want to buy the Kalemsoft media player but I'm vary of putting my credit card info on HP's servers, since I don't know what's going to happen to them and how properly they'll bother to maintain it. Is there any other way of buying it via Paypal or something?
I think you can buy it from Kalemsoft's website.

Just do it, it's not like HP's some shady company. This is a reputable, very large business.

R2D4

Banned
I have CM7 installed on my Touchpad but I want to sell it. How do I go about restoring WebOS and getting rid of the CM7? I want it to be like a brand new Touchpad out of the box.

DJ_Tet

Banned
You can use the webOS doctor to restore just webOS like it was out of the box. Then once you set it up, go into the file directory after it's hooked up to a PC in USB mode and delete all the CM7 folders you can find.

That should be close enough, maybe someone can tell you exactly what you need to delete. I know using the webOS doctor still leaves some files on there though, so you'll have to delete at least a folder or two.

Jangocube

Banned
Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugh. I want Android on this device but I'm just worried something will go wrong in the process.

Is there anything for WebOS like Microsoft Office or a program that saves webpages for offline use? The WebOS store is a pain to find useful programs.

Top Bottom