• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official HP Touchpad Thread of $100 Digital Picture Frames

So what the hell are people using this for? I find it so useless and obnoxious and haven't touched mine for a couple months. Thinking of selling it, but doubt it's worth the small amt I'd get. When is ICS due?

Petrie

Banned
My touch screen seems to have stopped working. Im hoping I just need to reset the unit, but being in Android I can't seem to do that without the touch screen. Any solutions or do I have to wait for the battery to die?

Tapiozona

Banned
So what the hell are people using this for? I find it so useless and obnoxious and haven't touched mine for a couple months. Thinking of selling it, but doubt it's worth the small amt I'd get. When is ICS due?

Netflix, hulu, browsing the internet, reading on occasion. I put movies and have a few gigs of music on it which I listen to while I'm cooking (recipes are all on my touchpad as well).

Dunno, I use it about the same as my wife uses her ipad.

What is ICS going to offer you that you currently can't have with Gingerbread?

I have CM7 installed on my Touchpad but I want to sell it. How do I go about restoring WebOS and getting rid of the CM7? I want it to be like a brand new Touchpad out of the box.

You'd think that you could get more for it with CM7. Why would anyone want a stock Touchpad?

My touch screen seems to have stopped working. Im hoping I just need to reset the unit, but being in Android I can't seem to do that without the touch screen. Any solutions or do I have to wait for the battery to die?

If you still have juice, hold the home button and power button for 30+ seconds. It should reboot (if not, then charge the battery first).

sfedai0

Banned
Anyone having issues with videos and music streaming? Im on WebOS with preware and OC'ed to 1.5ghz and every so often I will get the spinning load icon if I use something like Pandora, Youtube, Amazon Cloud.

I always have to do a luna restart or a complete restart to fix the issue.

TehOh

I use mine every single day for Hulu, Netflix, web browsing, and - most of all - comic reading.

I'm freaking addicted to reading comic books on the TouchPad. The screen size is perfect for it.

reKon

Banned
My device wont turn off lol :( need to force it to play music for al ong time to go flat or something..

I held down the power, volume, and middle button for a while and I was able to get it to turn off.

I need some help here. I'm not able to connect to the android market anymore (it only says retry connection) so I can't play Asphalt 6, which I got from the 10cent sale. Anyone have an idea what the issue is? I have one under device under my account and the wifi does work.

I have CM7 installed on my Touchpad but I want to sell it. How do I go about restoring WebOS and getting rid of the CM7? I want it to be like a brand new Touchpad out of the box.

Use the acme uninstaller.. you can get it over at the rootzwiki thread for CM7 Alpha 3.. it will remove all traces of android and moboot and just leave you with WebOS..

Then you can do a reset from within WebOS to remove your data from the device.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
For those still running webOS, disk cache mod, Mojo fps booster, system control optimization and increased touch sensitivity smoothness are great preware patches. Good performance gains.

R2D4

Banned
Use the acme uninstaller.. you can get it over at the rootzwiki thread for CM7 Alpha 3.. it will remove all traces of android and moboot and just leave you with WebOS..

Then you can do a reset from within WebOS to remove your data from the device.

Thanks

reKon

Banned
So no one else has the issue I'm having? Not being able to connect to the android market anymore? (it only says retry connection...)

My Wifi works fine...

MarkusRJR

My brother just told me he bought me a Touchpad for Christmas. Apparently he bought three of them when they were on sale. How does it view the flash videos on Giant Bomb? What can I do with this thing apart from web browsing? Are there any good games or emulators for the device?

My brother just told me he bought me a Touchpad for Christmas. Apparently he bought three of them when they were on sale. How does it view the flash videos on Giant Bomb? What can I do with this thing apart from web browsing? Are there any good games or emulators for the device?

It works perfectly with flash and you can view any site with flesh on it :p Tehre is snes, nes and old games emulator out there.

Anyone here using the XRON mod for CM7?

Saw a thread about it on Rootzwiki and apparently this fixes lots of bugs and drasticaly improves the battery life.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1321335

so this is about the vB1.2 version?

I might check it out, but the idea of completely wiping my Android install and starting all over isn't exciting me too much. How "drastic" are the battery improvements, exactly? Because everything else is extremely stable for me with CM.

Ashhong

So my friend is going to sell me his practically new one with case for 110, which I figure is a decent deal. Is it still worth it to get? I would just want it for light browsing, movie watching, nothing intense.

Also my GF is looking to get one, anybody on here wanting to sell their like new condition one? PM me

3N16MA

Banned
So my friend is going to sell me his practically new one with case for 110, which I figure is a decent deal. Is it still worth it to get? I would just want it for light browsing, movie watching, nothing intense.

Also my GF is looking to get one, anybody on here wanting to sell their like new condition one? PM me

$110 is a good price.

Ashhong

Yea, it's 16gb so he only paid I think 125 total he said, but he only used it for maybe 1 hour since then.

I'm excited, played around with my friends on WebOS and found it plenty usable for light browsing and such.

so this is about the vB1.2 version?

I might check it out, but the idea of completely wiping my Android install and starting all over isn't exciting me too much. How "drastic" are the battery improvements, exactly? Because everything else is extremely stable for me with CM.

I saw this thread about the battery life and thats it.

http://rootzwiki.com/topic/11416-for-those-who-have-ignored-it-try-out-xronifieds-recent-updates/

I also gave up on trying it after I realized I would have to wipe everything.

Krakatoa

You might want to try your luck on ebay sunday. HP are haivng another firesale then on refurbs.

Anyone try web os 3.0.5rc1 ?

clav

Just installed V1.2b. Booting up for the first time.

I did a clean wipe (System Data, Cache, and Dalvik Cache).

Currently sitting in the Nexus loading screen. Probably will take a few minutes.

Already has the Google Apps installed (not sure if this is legal.)

Honeycomb icons. Cool.

All right. Everything's done here.

Will post impressions after I've used this a few days.

Seems to be a lot of preinstalled bloatware apps...

clav

Ok that's bullshit.

Why does the build come with a bunch of preinstalled bloatware? What's the point of this?

These Android rom cooks who do this most likely don't have a background with Windows Mobile 5/6 devices.

No wonder people have problems with flashed ROMs.

I have to pay for a program to remove it as ADB doesn't want to work with this device or reflash it removing the apks in the installer.

-----------------------

Uninstalling programs using the included Titanium Backup program.

Restart to remove some programs that were not cleared.

clav

All right fuck this. Apps are forceclosing and I just don't know what other additions are there.

Battery life doesn't seem that much better to me.

Going back to the original CM port.

All about the no bloat.

Redownloading.

Yeah see. 100 MB less bloated.

What a way to spend a Friday night evening.

Hopefully this was helpful to GAFers out there.

EYEL1NER

Looks like HP will be selling more on eBay tonight. Refurbs only and max 2 a person.
16GB for $99 and 32GB for $149.

Trying to decide if I want one or not.

EYEL1NER

link?

I've got a few ipads, but these could still make nice gifts.

Here's a link to the PC World article:
http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/article/409706/refurbished_hp_touchpad_fire_sale_happening_sunday

A link to the HP part of eBay:
http://stores.ebay.com/hewlettpackard/Laptops/_i.html?_fsub=438493219&_sidZ1064151579

And the craziness of SlickDeals, where people are foaming at the mouth and chomping at the bit to get one:
http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3670196

Good luck to those trying for the Ebay deal!

As for me, I still have mine with just WebOS. It still works great for what I need (a basic PDF reader for scientific articles on my bus trips to/from campus) and even has some fun bonuses (games, web browsing, etc). I'm still interested in getting Android on here, but I'll hold off until more bugs are taken care of and it's more overall a clean port.

Good luck to those trying for the Ebay deal!

As for me, I still have mine with just WebOS. It still works great for what I need (a basic PDF reader for scientific articles on my bus trips to/from campus) and even has some fun bonuses (games, web browsing, etc). I'm still interested in getting Android on here, but I'll hold off until more bugs are taken care of and it's more overall a clean port.

Does it have a decent powerpoint reader?

Top Bottom