• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Jeanne D'arc Thread - SRPG goodness from Level5 for 29.99$

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
This game really made the 9-hour ride back home go by quickly, I'm on chapter 5 now.
Wow that was annoying taking away my two best characters and then Roger who I was building up to help replace them, but now that I have them back it's all better. And BTW what was up with Luther? "You must finish your training!" *bad guys appear* "...Okay, I was just messing with you, you can have my power and the armlet now..."
I also got Rose, and I knew she was just what I needed (Axe guys are worthless and dual Lancers seemed dumb) but I got more than I bargained for! I boosted her up to lvl42 so she's with the rest of my group, plus I gave her every fruit I had, HP+100, Atk+20, Preemptive (which Colet also has, he is the party leader now, a BEAST), HP Recovery III and Slip Through. She will be able to go anywhere and do anything! Her attack moves are lacking, so I only have Stun Whip set, but she is for advanced infiltrating purposes. One of her best uses is running behind the enemy and hitting them to create a burning aura in front for a stronger character. I really like what I have going with the whole team right now.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Do whatever you can to raise Cloet's evasion as high as possible, and yeah he's in Beast Mode all the time! He has great movement, high attack, and yeah high evasion he basically never gets touched and can attack on every turn.

I just finished the game tonight. I'm glad it's finally over, and I'm glad that I was able to recover my corrupted save file to finish it. I clocked in at 29 hours for the end of the game. The last couple of missions - I was getting bored of the game there at the end and I wanted it to end. But yeah, overall fun game, but at around 25 hours I felt like it was the same again and again and the story was starting to lose its luster with me.

But damn I had some times in there when I was playing the game hardcore every night and was addicted, but it just teetered off there at the end. There's plenty of stuff to do post-game, like additional bosses and stages - but I'm done with this game. Good ride, one of the PSP's finest. :D

Scorponok

I wish there were more games like this. I love the FF Tactics incarnations (all of them) and Jeanne De Arc. Never could get into Wild Arms, Disagea, or Fire Emblem.

If they made a Jeanne De Arc II, I'd buy it in an instant.

It's easy to get bored with the game just because it's far below average difficulty and the plot and characters are aimed at the E for Everyone crowd.

But it's a decent beginners game.

Scorponok

mjemirzian said:
It's easy to get bored with the game just because it's far below average difficulty and the plot and characters are aimed at the E for Everyone crowd.

But it's a decent beginners game.

I disagree. I had no problem with the game, and there were maybe only two levels I really had to dig deep to beat (the protect Roger one and one near the end). But my cousin and sister, who have never played a tactical RPG before, had loads of trouble with Jeanne De Arc.

switch-it

Banned
Scorponok said:
I disagree. I had no problem with the game, and there were maybe only two levels I really had to dig deep to beat (the protect Roger one and one near the end). But my cousin and sister, who have never played a tactical RPG before, had loads of trouble with Jeanne De Arc.

I remember i stopped playing the game because i've saved the game at the start of a battle i couldn't beat and so i couldn't progress. Then i learned about having multiple saves. Before this i didn't see the point. :lol

Anyways, i would love to go back and play the game again. I remember the difficulty being spot on for me and i loved the artstyle and gameplay.

Just finished it. Good SRPG. I'm loving handheld RPGs more and more now. I spent about six hours a day for two days level grinding by sound while at work with the PSP in my jacket pocket. Ended the game with Jeanne at level 86 I think.

Was Jeanne and Roger the only ones who gave a damn about Lianne? They were all chilling. I was sure she would be saved. I was like :eek: when they showed her burning up.

matmanx1

Awesome, glad you liked it. It really is a good game.

Your level grinding story is funny though. I could never get away with that!:lol

I'm playing through this right now. I like that the tactics are different from other SRPGs with the transformations and the burning auras. I don't like that the mission objectives are so arbitrary.

Yaweee

I give up.

I stopped playing for over a year while getting ready for the last few boss fights after hearing how bad they were, but I couldn't put up with how ungodly long and slow the Free Battles were so. Loaded my file up today after getting an SRPG urge watching videos of TO, started the lost boss sequence, and... damn. Battles are just so long, and losing 2 members during the early parts of the 2nd fight made it 100% impossible to kill the boss due to his % regen.

I restarted the fight, but turned it off again after a few turns. I just can't do it any more. There is absolutely no reason 7v10 battles should take a freaking hour. This feels like the absolute slowest SRPG that I've ever played, and I genuinely wonder how I could have tolerated it at all for the first 30 hours.

I'd like to see L5 try another similar game, but try to do faster battles. But given what they did to the Dragon Quest series, I don't think speedy battles are something they'd ever even attempt.

Curufinwe said:
Yeah, but what other SRPG is there that's easier?
Maybe the Shining Force games, or at least SF2?

krae_man

Yaweee said:
I give up.

I stopped playing for over a year while getting ready for the last few boss fights after hearing how bad they were, but I couldn't put up with how ungodly long and slow the Free Battles were so. Loaded my file up today after getting an SRPG urge watching videos of TO, started the lost boss sequence, and... damn. Battles are just so long, and losing 2 members during the early parts of the 2nd fight made it 100% impossible to kill the boss due to his % regen.

Just like every SRPG, it's easy as pie once you figure out how to exploit the mechanic in your favor. The enemys that take up 9 squares are insanely easy once you figure out you can use attacks that attack multiple squares for example.

I do agree that battles take way way too long. It wouldn't be so bad if all HB recoveries happened at the same time. The Maps being huge and it sometimes taking 3-4+ turns to even get to your opponents doesn't help.

Anyway, I've been playing this game again for like the 5th or 6th time. I love it soo much. I really hope we get a sequel on the NGP and that can either be Jeanne D'arc 2 or adding Lizzard men, Burning aura's and the like to a different public domain story like Robin Hood or something. I don't care, just gimme.

I need some advice GAF, does this game pick up past the first couple stages?

After reading so many raving reviews and impressions for this game I was really excited to try finally play it. Yet rather being addicted like I have with many other SRPGs like FFT & Disgaea, I am kinda bored so far. I just had Marcel and Colet join my party for reference of my progress.

I am just not feeling it at all. It's taken me 2 weeks to get 2 hours in. There are so many aspects of this that I am not liking and it feels like a chore to play. The biggest issue is how slow this game is all around. I guess my question is, have I tasted all that there is to offer at this point or is the cream filled center just a few more bites away?

I want to love this game.

To answer my own question, yes this game does pick up after the slow beginning and gets really awesome. I just beat the game and I have to say I was really hooked. The story was captivating, the battle system with transformations was fun, and the skill binding system made it really addicting.

Question for those who have played it post game:
I've read you can revive liane if you beat the colosseum again. Is there much story involved with it? If Jeanne and Roger have a happy reunion scene then I'll keep going. If it only means her character gets placed back in your party then I'm not interested.

AppleBlade

So I had purchased the digital version of this game on PSN awhile ago and never got around to it. I Just decided to delve into it yesterday and I am loving it so far. I have not played a Japanese SRPG since the PS1 era, I forgot that I actually liked them. Anyways, the story is interesting, the art style is awesome, the graphics are rich, the sound is good, and the gameplay hits the perfect balance between simplicity and depth.

Ratrat

I'm stuck at the part where MAJOR SPOILER OMFG
Jeanne falls into a hole and the game forces you to play as her friend who I had 100% ignored up until that point and is completely underpowered. :(
fun game. I still plan to beat it without a single level grind.

OT but what are the best srpgs on psp besides Disgaea and the Ivalice games?

Reveirg

It's a shame Level-5 didn't make any RPG of this caliber since. I didn't really enjoy WKC (though I guess it's unfair to compare those two games due to their very different nature).

I'm wondering what Jeanna D'Arc's specific team is up to right now...

Edgeward

Ratrat said:
I still plan to beat it without a single level grind.

I'm gonna tell you that that rule is not hard to accomplish until you get to the final boss. It is several notches harder that grinding is somewhat of a must.

AppleBlade

This game has reawakened my interested in Japanese RPGs/SRPGs. I haven't really been into the scene for years. The PSP seems to be in no short supply of these kinds of games . . . so I'm pretty excited.

Ratrat

Edgeward said:
I'm gonna tell you that that rule is not hard to accomplish until you get to the final boss. It is several notches harder that grinding is somewhat of a must.
FIN!!!

While it took me at least 3 hours to finally figure out how to do it, I beat the last boss in 5 turns... without level grinding. *sigh* I must have retried that fight close to 10 times. I fucking hate regenerating health.

Overall a solid game. I give it a 7.

Jigsaw

Banned
the last boss is pretty easy actually if you only concentrate on him,leave the towers alone and he will be dead within 5 minutes,before they can even heal him...if some of your characters don't do enough damage,just let them spam multi-square items,you should have more than enough

Snowballo

I cannot get ExpBonus II :(

I've reached the last level of the game (the final battle) but I've been kicked in the ass. The enemies are too strong for me actually.

So I decided to load an old save in order to grind a little bit (you cannot do it from the last level since you cannot exit the arena). I've read some suggestion in which a lot of people suggest CHALON as a place of training since you can get ExpBonus II.
I beated the level two times but I don't get anything at all. :(

Could you tell me why?
What's wrong?

Ah, I noticed that the link in which I got the information (link) talks about post-game. Does post-game means that you need to have beated the game to obtain these stones?

Thanks.

Snowballo

I cannot get ExpBonus II :(

I've reached the last level of the game (the final battle) but I've been kicked in the ass. The enemies are too strong for me actually.

So I decided to load an old save in order to grind a little bit (you cannot do it from the last level since you cannot exit the arena). I've read some suggestion in which a lot of people suggest CHALON as a place of training since you can get ExpBonus II.
I beated the level two times but I don't get anything at all. :(

Could you tell me why?
What's wrong?

Ah, I noticed that the link in which I got the information (link) talks about post-game. Does post-game means that you need to have beated the game to obtain these stones?

Thanks.

Let's make it easier: doest "post-game" means "when you have beated the game and you want to keep playing"?

Top Bottom