• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Jeanne D'arc Thread - SRPG goodness from Level5 for 29.99$

7Th

DiddyBop said:
Damn, so far only
roger
has left for one battle, so there's more leaving? hmmm, hope its not with the characters I'm focusing on.

Spoilers for the entire game:

Jeanne, Roger, Lianne and Giles are the only characters to leave the party through the game... although stats wise Cuisses is pretty much Lianne.

RuGalz

Gah this game kinda ruined FFT for me... I tried to go back and play FFT and I just couldn't lol. Maybe I need a break between these SRPGs. There's just too much reading in FFT and the visual is out of date in comparison...

the-iek

RuGalz said:
Gah this game kinda ruined FFT for me... I tried to go back and play FFT and I just couldn't lol. Maybe I need a break between these SRPGs. There's just too much reading in FFT and the visual is out of date in comparison...
yup, after playing through jeanne d'arc, i'm not sure i'd would have the same fun with final fantasy tactics. but i'll give it a try...

Kinda LTTP but I just picked this game up and am loving it. I just got past the mission near the beginning where you have to get your group across the bridge to the north side of the map and got owned a few times (probably because my healer kept getting killed in one hit :( ). The game is gorgeous and I always like what Level 5 can do with cel shading. I can't wait to dig in more to this game!:D

DiddyBop

damn
that anime cutscene with Liane burning on the stake was pretty sad. i love how this game was light hearted and very broad in its approach about saving France to a lot darker with a more personal story with roger turing bad,etc
such a great game.

acklame

such a great game. i'm near the very end of the game now, and i am just running out leveling characters because i don't want it to end.

Ferrio

Banned
Okay, so I've had the game for a week but just started playing it now (told myself no FFT until this is beaten).

So far the game is fairly hard. I don't know if it's because I'm still early in the game (6th battle?) haven't done any free battles (trying to avoid grinding), or I just suck. I have yet (except first 2 battles) to beat the level in the first try.

Phthisis

Ferrio said:
Okay, so I've had the game for a week but just started playing it now (told myself no FFT until this is beaten).

So far the game is fairly hard. I don't know if it's because I'm still early in the game (6th battle?) haven't done any free battles (trying to avoid grinding), or I just suck. I have yet (except first 2 battles) to beat the level in the first try.

Sounds like you might need to do a free combat just to bump your level up one or two. Don't forget that you get bonus experience for just completing a battle in addition to what you earn from attacks and actions. When I've hit a wall, it was usually due to poor tactics or being just slightly underleveled; one free combat should put you over the hump.

Aeon712

Sony really needs to release the Black slim darn it, I bought this game at launch and it's still sealed :(.

DiddyBop

the game's difficulty is perfect. some battles are a bit easy, while some you'll die in and only have to level up one or two levels.

john tv

DiddyBop said:
the game's difficulty is perfect. some battles are a bit easy, while some you'll die in and only have to level up one or two levels.
Yeah, I'm really impressed with the balance so far. I wasn't expecting it to be this good -- I'm nearing the end now (stage 27, I think? team is around level 45 or so), and the battles are still playing out perfectly. Not too hard, not too easy -- just enough challenge to keep it exciting and thought-provoking.

Game is way, way, way better than J-GAF let on when it first came out last year. :p

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Gah! Finally got around to playing this game, and up until now I've been loving it. Awesome graphics, production, etc.

However, now I want to throw the UMD out a fucking window! This stage where you have to get everyone past Talbot and can't let anyone die is a freakin' joke. Perhaps I'm underpowered. I've tried it like 5 times now and always end up failing because Talbot kills someone before I can get him dead.

deadbeef

Big Nate said:
Gah! Finally got around to playing this game, and up until now I've been loving it. Awesome graphics, production, etc.

However, now I want to throw the UMD out a fucking window! This stage where you have to get everyone past Talbot and can't let anyone die is a freakin' joke. Perhaps I'm underpowered. I've tried it like 5 times now and always end up failing because Talbot kills someone before I can get him dead.

Yeah that was really the only time that I've had to grind a few levels. Go do some free combat, and upgrade your party's weapons, armor, and skills.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Dice Man said:
Yeah that was really the only time that I've had to grind a few levels. Go do some free combat, and upgrade your party's weapons, armor, and skills.

Figured that was the case. Will do.

deadbeef

You know what? Screw this game - I don't think I'm going to finish it. I get to the very end of the game,
and have to fight the Duke, then go fight Henry who spawns those 4 creatures, THEN I have to go fight Gilgaroth in freaking outer space or something, without a break? So I find out I don't have enough health items and I haven't leveled some characters enough and I have to go ALL THE WAY BACK to before I fought Duke Benton???? Arggh that took like 2 hours!! Sheesh. I have too many games to play to replay the same stinking battles over and over again. Sorry, Level 5.

jjasper

That is exactly why I didn't finish the game. I was on a car trip and got there played all the way through the first two fights, got a game over for the first time, looked at FFT, put it in and never looked back.

Great game but the ending was poorly executed

Octagon

The last fight seems a bit annoying to me. I only tried it once half-hearted. I don't know maybe i will just check out a FAQ or something like that. I don't lack items and i am not too weak (i guess) but i just don't feel like doing this more than just once.

Overall the game is great though.

Phthisis

You can beat the final boss in three turns or so, just make sure you have two characters with Cyclone 2 and one of your spear characters with Sweep. Each spell will do several hundred damage, and Sweep will do nearly a thousand.

EDIT- Also, it would behoove you to save in between each battle to another save slot before deploying your troops. That way you can just re-load the file so you don't have to start over.

deadbeef

Phthisis said:
You can beat the final boss in three turns or so, just make sure you have two characters with Cyclone 2 and one of your spear characters with Sweep. Each spell will do several hundred damage, and Sweep will do nearly a thousand.

EDIT- Also, it would behoove you to save in between each battle to another save slot before deploying your troops. That way you can just re-load the file so you don't have to start over.

Yeah after I posted that I picked it back up and spent yesterday grinding off and on in between tasks. Started the last fight again late last night and finished it this morning - you recommendations were spot on. My mistake the first time through
was thinking I had to eliminate the three or four statues on the outer ring of the battlefield.

Ferrio

Banned
Question about game+

Has anyone done the cemetery thing? I'd like to see the scene but I don't really wanna do the coliseum, curious what the scene actually shows.

Ferrio said:
Question about game+

Has anyone done the cemetery thing? I'd like to see the scene but I don't really wanna do the coliseum, curious what the scene actually shows.

I have finished Colosseum stage 2, which I recommend anyway (don't forget to put someone with Treasure Hunter skill into Stage 7, great treasures to be found there). You get to see Lianne again, and she joins your party, but Cuisses has to stay behind. After that, you can switch between them every time you go to the graveyard

Ferrio

Banned
leesmapman said:
I have finished Colosseum stage 2, which I recommend anyway (don't forget to put someone with Treasure Hunter skill into Stage 7, great treasures to be found there). You get to see Lianne again, and she joins your party, but Cuisses has to stay behind. After that, you can switch between them every time you go to the graveyard

Well I know she comes back, but I'm curious if it's canon.

Octagon

Phthisis said:

Hehe... now if only i had some Cyclone 2 gems left.
Anyways i still managed to get him down to 500HP after 7 turns with good old Rufus and few nice Sweeps. Unfortunately soon after i got wiped out.

I still got another save game so everythings fine but i refuse to give up at this point.

Edit: Sweep doesn't do that much damage with me (around 40HP for each hit) but it still works great.

Phthisis

Octagon said:
Hehe... now if only i had some Cyclone 2 gems left.
Anyways i still managed to get him down to 500HP after 7 turns with good old Rufus and few nice Sweeps. Unfortunately soon after i got wiped out.

I still got another save game so everythings fine but i refuse to give up at this point.

Edit: Sweep doesn't do that much damage with me (around 40HP for each hit) but it still works great.

Hmmm...When I was using Sweep, I had it on Gilles, who was also wielding the Demongriffe (you get that from the very first free battle with the dragons and golems who are around level 30). I casted Raise Force on him and let him go to town, and most of his Sweep hits did over 100 damage. EDIT- Also being transformed helped, too, I think. If you can get Jeanne close enough, too, Visiting Goddess is another move that will knock off a couple hundred HP from the boss.

You don't need Cyclone 2 per se, it's just the best AoE spell for this fight because it hits in a 3x3 square rather than just 5 squares like Blizzard or Flame.

Octagon

Well, it occured to me last night to give Sweep to Gilles instead of having it on Jean which helped a lot (transformed with Demongriffe i made around 90 damage per hit).
I went all out and used a lot of skills like MeteorBolt, Heavens Gate and normal attacks with Rufus and after seven rounds Gilvaroth was dead.

Thanks for your help though Phthisis.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Phthisis said:
Hmmm...When I was using Sweep, I had it on Gilles, who was also wielding the Demongriffe (you get that from the very first free battle with the dragons and golems who are around level 30). I casted Raise Force on him and let him go to town, and most of his Sweep hits did over 100 damage.

Sweep combined with the top-level experience boosting skill is simply obscene. Against large enemies you gain a level with each attack.

toneroni

RuGalz said:
Feeling the same way. Im almost at the end i think and when i see my lil bro playing tactics on his psp. It looks so dated. I guess its better to play FFT first and then this. Probably will take a break and let my next psp game be Brave Story or something.

Gwanatu T

Just picked it up yesterday, it truly looks magnificent. Going to play a bit at lunch today, but is this in any way similar to Shining Force?

Goddammit, I accidentally saved over a save I needed to keep and now I'm stuck in a battle,
the first fight with the demonoid duke where Jeanne is stuck in a room with him and 5 others are outside

I keep losing by running out of time. If I only could have 5 extra turns, I can probably take the main enemy down. Any tips?

Ferrio

Banned
nakedsushi said:
Goddammit, I accidentally saved over a save I needed to keep and now I'm stuck in a battle,
the first fight with the demonoid duke where Jeanne is stuck in a room with him and 5 others are outside

I keep losing by running out of time. If I only could have 5 extra turns, I can probably take the main enemy down. Any tips?

I just had jeanne beat him to a pulp next to the door, while everyone outside the door threw spells at him

Phthisis

nakedsushi said:

Mobility +1 and Raise Mobility are your friends. Just ignore the enemies in the surrounding rooms and speed past them to the balcony. I usually just parked La Hire (though you can use your favorite tank) at the rear of my party formation to fend off the following foes as they chased me.

Ferrio said:
I just had jeanne beat him to a pulp next to the door, while everyone outside the door threw spells at him

My Jeanne's only at level 39, so she doesn't do much damage. Plus, I can't keep him next to the door b/c he keeps to the other side of the room while spamming spells at me.

deadbeef

nakedsushi said:
My Jeanne's only at level 39, so she doesn't do much damage. Plus, I can't keep him next to the door b/c he keeps to the other side of the room while spamming spells at me.

Do you have Sky Dart yet? And I beat that level the same way that was recommended to you earlier - stand by the door.

Lain

My copy of the game took a long time to get to me, and even more time went by before I started playing it, but now that I am playing it I'm really loving it.
The gameplay is pretty cool, the turn limit keeps things challening while using the armlet ability at the right time can really save the day. The cast of characters is nice, and the story is coming along better than I expected, altho I'd like to kick Roger around at the point I'm at in the game. The guy is such an idiot.
Playing this game makes me want to get my hands on Disgaea PSP as soon as possible!

Macstorm

Kestastrophe said:
I have beat the game and then beat the Cemetery map that opened up. Is there anything to do in this game after this?
At least do the Colosseum one of the two more times you can or the Cemetery map won't do much for you.

How's the story and the general stage themes?

I haven't played this yet, and I'll be honnest that I do not like the art style at all. I don't dislike it either, but whenever I've asked myself if I should get around to the game, I end up saying I'd rather just get around to a western fantasy game (which suits my tastes more) which I haven't played yet.

Is the story more political or magical and supernatural? It's just loosely based on Joan the Arc? More akin to, say, Tactics Ogre, FFT Chapter 1, or FFT Chapter 4 in plot? How about the stages... a lot of demon killing, or stuff like protecting trade wagons, ambushing war parties, sieging forward camps at night...

There's a certain style of very grass roots war theme that I love in my SRPGs, and on the flipside I really don't like when they become too supernatural usually (FFT I suppose is an exception, though CH1 is still my favorite). I can tell it's a great game from reading this thread but I don't know if it suits my tastes. I'm fairly picky when it comes to most Japanese rpgs in what I like and what I don't.

Also, on the gameplay side? Is there much endgame depth? What sort of things are there to develop? Any sort of Suikoden esque HQ; perhaps a Morale/Power stat a la a Civilization or Romance of the Three Kingdoms; lots of Jobs (Weapons in this case, right?); et cetera... Or is the stat building sort of minor without must depth outside of the main story? Basically if there's any sort of good meat a typical srpg/tbs grinder may really enjoy long term.

kinn

Just got the game and man I'm loving it!

Cannot believe I waited so long before picking this up. I defo get a Shining Force vibe from this game.

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
KyanMehwulfe said:
There's a bit of political chatter, but nowhere near Matsuno levels. The theme is mostly fantasy/supernatural; England army is half made of monsters and Jeanne morphs into a super-knight with a power-rangers style bracelet, so go figure. Standard anime/jrpg fare, any historical accuracy is pure coincidence:lol :lol :lol. It's still quite endurable though.

Grayman

Game is alright so far but I am just playing it in my nighttime.

Gilles and Rufus seem extremely weak though, like don't even use them weak.

Fusebox

Banned
RuGalz said:

Same, I hadn't played FFT before but after finishing Jeanne I was amped for more SRPG so I loaded up FFT and, uh ... yeah. Smelled like moth-balls.

Top Bottom