• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official MADWORLD Thread of No Means Yes and Yes Means A--wesome!

hitoshi

witness said:
That difficult on hard? Not a masochist and don't have the time or patience for that kind of difficulty so I'll stick to normal.

It's not that difficult, there are SOME stages where you will cry in tears while constantly banging your head into the wall (I nearly broke my controller at least 8 times) but considering everything it's a great experience. Albeit short. Too short in terms of hours, but exactly right in terms of storytelling and flow.

Update: sorry didn't see the hard part. I've talked about normal :)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
hitoshi said:
It's not that difficult, there are SOME stages where you will cry in tears while constantly banging your head into the wall (I nearly broke my controller at least 8 times) but considering everything it's a great experience. Albeit short. Too short in terms of hours, but exactly right in terms of storytelling and flow.

Approximately how many hours? Are there any unlockables or the like worth replaying for?

hitoshi

EatChildren said:
Approximately how many hours? Are there any unlockables or the like worth replaying for?

I can't tell that until the 10th but from my previous experiences I would say it's a bit longer for someone who does stroll around than what I've got from it. And yes there are unlockables: weapons. GREAT weapons.

TheChillyAcademic said:
You and I will now fight to the death -.-

Come now, Killzone 2 is great and all, but the dialogue and cursing... aren't exactly its strong points. I think it's embarrassing but I guess to each their own? :lol

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
KevinCow said:
I'm not trying to spoil anything for anyone. I just thought these would make good GIFs, and thought it would be appropriate to share them in this thread, seeing as how this is the MadWorld thread.

Yeah well, I had to scroll quickly down the last post myself after catching a glimps of your gifs... why the hell would I want to spoil myself the fun of seeing the executions for the first time while playing the game? I'm going to skip this page and I was able to quickly turn away from your spoilers so not too much harm done, but please don't do that again, or anything similar, in the thread.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
hitoshi said:
I can't tell that until the 10th but from my previous experiences I would say it's a bit longer for someone who does stroll around than what I've got from it. And yes there are unlockables: weapons. GREAT weapons.

It worries me that so many people who have played are completely avoiding, forcefully or not, the question of length :lol.

One last question, if you can answer it; when you say weapons do you mean extra unlockable weapons (aka: Resident Evil 4), or do you mean mid-match weapons like what we've seen so far? In the case of the latter it seems like you could unlock and play with all these weapons in one playthrough. The former would add some replay value though, again like RE4, to test new stuff out.

For those wondering, here's a summary of the Madworld difficulty talk from IGN's NVC podcast :

Normal Mode :
- can go through it in 5-6 hours.
- Start a level with 3 lives.
- Much like a playground, as you're free to experiment your kills on the enemies without too much troubles.
- Enemies AI ramps up. Overall not incredibly hard.

Hard Mode :
- No additional lifes, no continue (meaning you'll have to start a level all over if you die)
- Can get countered while trying to do a finishing move.
- Seems to be more about survival.
- Apparently really freaking hard.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
EatChildren said:
It worries me that so many people who have played are completely avoiding, forcefully or not, the question of length :lol.

One last question, if you can answer it; when you say weapons do you mean extra unlockable weapons (aka: Resident Evil 4), or do you mean mid-match weapons like what we've seen so far? In the case of the latter it seems like you could unlock and play with all these weapons in one playthrough. The former would add some replay value though, again like RE4, to test new stuff out.

My buddy reviewer: circa 12 hours plugged on "hard" mode also going for scores.
I'm not vouching for anything though, mind you.

Also: Game warrants at the very least a couple of playthroughs.

Dascu

I was hoping for about 8-10 hours of gameplay, but I'm satisfied. Hard mode is GREAT news. Oh, and it's so wonderful to hear from Matsuno again.

Teknoman

Stormbringer said:
For those wondering, here's a summary of the Madworld difficulty talk from IGN's NVC podcast :

Normal Mode :
- Much like a playground, as you're free to experiment your kills on the enemies without too much troubles.

Hard Mode :
- No additional lifes, no continue (meaning you'll have to start a level all over if you die)

Hard mode actually sounds like fun.

Going to go in and pay the rest of this bad boy off tomorrow morning before class. I cannot wait to get my hands on MadWorld. Now back to ignoring this thread for any further potential spoilers.

KevinCow

Banned
Dash Kappei said:
Yeah well, I had to scroll quickly down the last post myself after catching a glimps of your gifs... why the hell would I want to spoil myself the fun of seeing the executions for the first time while playing the game? I'm going to skip this page and I was able to quickly turn away from your spoilers so not too much harm done, but please don't do that again, or anything similar, in the thread.
If you don't want to see stuff about the game, why are you visiting the official thread? You should expect stuff from the game to be posted in here. If you want to go on a media blackout, it would be best for you to avoid anything relating to the game.

I mean, excuse me if I seem insensitive, but I just don't see why you should expect me to conform to your opinion on what constitutes a spoiler, especially when your opinion seems to be that any game footage at all is a spoiler. The way I see it, anything that the creators allow to be released before the game comes out isn't a spoiler. If you want to go in blank beyond that, it's your responsibility to avoid it, and you can't really complain if you go into the official thread and see stuff from the game.

pakkit

Banned
I really hope there are added incentives for replayability or that the co-op options are great. 5-6 hours doesn't exactly have me giddy with glee.

CoolS

pakkit said:
I really hope there are added incentives for replayability or that the co-op options are great. 5-6 hours doesn't exactly have me giddy with glee.

I wouldn't count on much "co-op" in the game ..

Teknoman

pakkit said:

Haven't seen clover(platinum) game yet that didn't have decent unlockables for replay.

Too short in terms of hours, but exactly right in terms of storytelling and flow.

That's all I need to know in terms of length :D

I hate overbloated games with bad pacing, I'd much rather play a game that's short and sweet (And infinately replayable as a result!) than an overbloated mess that lasts 30 hours+

windfish

i just came back from the city and took a look at the german gamepro review in the kiosk, i didn't bought the magazine but here is what i remember from the review summary:

-There are some clipping issues - hiphop music is great - same for the soundeffects - non stop action - great boss fights - comic look is awesome - controlls are good - camera is not so good - Jack is cool -Town is big - Multiplayer is fun - lasts for about 10 hours - little replay value - AI is ass - voice acting is great - commentary can get annoying

They had quite alot positive and negative, but thats all i can remember right now, guess i need to play Brain Age a little more!

EatChildren

windfish said:
-There are some clipping issues - Jack is cool -Town is big - Multiplayer is fun - lasts for about 10 hours - little replay value - KI is ass - voice acting is great - commentary can get annoying

Screw them. Killer Instinct was awesome.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
EatChildren said:
Screw them. Killer Instinct was awesome.
Why are they talking about KI in a MadWorld review? Did they compare the violence in both games or something? I was a big KI fan back in the day, so I would love to hear if this is similar in any way but I hadn't seen any such comparisons before.

Cowie

my hype for this game just doubled with my 360's RROD ;\

and I already have it preordered, so i'm not sure what to do with all this extra hype!

Lee N

Membre
So, Madworld is running at 480i? I guess I can't play the game then. Thanks for that Platinum Games (I know you're reading).

I am using a VGA cable with my Wii to play it on a CRT monitor which doesn't support interlaced video modes. I don't own a TV so this is my only option.

No progressive means no sale.

TreIII

Stormbringer said:

Normal Mode :

Hard Mode :

Good. :D

Hard Mode basically sounds like God Hand all over again, so I'm glad that they seemed to be willing to make sure that both casuals, as well as those who are yearning for a Clover-game style challenge, will have something that they can sink their teeth into.

Volcynika

"MADWORLD Unboxing and MADWORLD Release Day Contest!"

http://platinumgames.com/2009/03/06/madworld-unboxing-and-madworld-release-day-contest/

:eek:

So, what is this release day contest you ask? Simple… Take you camera with you when you go buy MADWORLD. Take a picture or a video of you with the game, either in the act of purchasing or after you have purchased. Just like kills in MADWORLD, the more elaborate the picture, the better you chances of winning. Multiple people in the photo is a good start. Making it black, white, and red - even better. Get creative, get original. Once you are done, post a link to the photo or video here in the comments. Make sure to fill in the email address field or we can’t contact you if you win.

Once MADWORLD is available worldwide, the team will check all the pictures and videos, select some winners and dole out some prizes. What we are giving out isn’t decided, but I can guarantee two things - 1) It will be cool. 2) It will be signed.

Now here is the fine print - You need to have your entries in by the March 28. By posting your link, you give us permission to use your photo or video on this site. We will probably add it to Flickr, and we might even use it in a podcast. You also give permission to SEGA to use these photos as well. Winners will be notified by email and announced via this very blog.

bdouble

Lee N said:
So, Madworld is running at 480i? I guess I can't play the game then. Thanks for that Platinum Games (I know you're reading).

I am using a VGA cable with my Wii to play it on a CRT monitor which doesn't support interlaced video modes. I don't own a TV so this is my only option.

Yeah right after I buy my Vigi cable I found this out as well. :( oh well just have to play it on the new 42" tv.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
So without spoilers, can someone tell me how good is the story? Is it recognizably Matsuno?

Endless

MadWorld-TV.gif

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Lee N said:

Where did you read this?

It doesn't really bother me, but it's still bizarre. Perhaps they decided on an interlaced mode in order to conserve memory? What is the framerate on this game? Maybe they used an older interlacing trick in order to run at 60 fps (I doubt it)?

markatisu

dark10x said:
Where did you read this?

It doesn't really bother me, but it's still bizarre. Perhaps they decided on an interlaced mode in order to conserve memory? What is the framerate on this game? Maybe they used an older interlacing trick in order to run at 60 fps (I doubt it)?

Its running at 60fps as far as we know, IGN hinted that they did not include because they did think it was necessary

I do not think it will be that big a deal for most people because until someone said "its not in 480p" nobody who had played it or had hands-on had any idea

witness

More worried about it only being 5-6 hours long than it being 480i, I really really hope the experience is just incredible and warrants multiple play throughs.

dark10x

markatisu said:
Its running at 60fps as far as we know, IGN hinted that they did not include because they did think it was necessary

I do not think it will be that big a deal for most people because until someone said "its not in 480p" nobody who had played it or had hands-on had any idea
Well, whether or not it is interlaced really only matters if the display someone using is either of poor quality (or simply does a poor job de-interlacing) or does not accept interlaced signals. I won't have any problems, of course, but it sucks for those that might.

Teknoman

witness said:
More worried about it only being 5-6 hours long than it being 480i, I really really hope the experience is just incredible and warrants multiple play throughs.

Play it on God Hand mode. Also had no idea it was going to be 60fps. At the same time, if reviewers couldnt tell it wasnt being displayed at 480p until checking the source, it wont be that big a deal when you play it.

Unless you're in a situation like the other two with the monitors. That being said, 480p support would've probably made it look even better.

dark10x

At the same time, if reviewers couldnt tell it wasnt being displayed at 480p until checking the source, it wont be that big a deal when you play it.

Unless you're in a situation like the other two with the monitors. That being said, 480p support would've probably made it look even better.
480p doesn't make a significant difference if your display can properly de-interlace the image. Of course, as this is 60 fps (hopefully), it will probably be pretty demanding and reveal weakness in many displays. That said, it may not have actually looked better at 480p simply because they may have had to sacrifice other aspects of the visuals to pull it off.

Well, I think an additional hard mode that sounds so dramatically different and challenging could very well be a good replay incentive for a lot of people. There could also be some cool unlockable content/extras too, though I've heard no confirmation of this so far myself. Guess we will see, but, if the game is as thoroughly fun and well paced as it sounds, I personally wouldn't be worried about wanting to replay it, myself. Cool extras are just be the icing on the cake.

By the way, someone on the IGN boards posted the Nintendo Power review summary :

# Madworld - 9.0
- Says game is a lot of fun to play, over the top to an enjoyable level. Good length and variety for a beat-em-up, controls work well, lots of unlockables and stuff to do after beating it. Nice presentation and story as well. Their only complaint is that the running commentary, while usually funny, gets very repetitive.

http://boards.ign.com/nintendo_wii_general_board/b8263/177845584/p1/?2

Dascu

Good news on the unlockables. Updated OP with NPower review summary.

As a warning, people have gotten a hold of the official strategy guide. Spoilers beware!

EatChildren

Stormbringer said:
By the way, someone on the IGN boards posted the Nintendo Power review summary :

Repetitive commentary is a problem that plagues 99% of games with it included. I wont be fussed.

Glad to hear about the unlockables. Fuck, I really don't having to wait until the 26th (or whenever). Stupid PAL!

Wallach

Oh my fuck, this game comes out on the 10th?!

I totally assumed this came out on the 24th for some reason! Woooo, that made my (unbelievably terrible day) a little brighter! Fuck I can't wait to release a bit of this frustration with some back breaking next week!!

The_Dude

EatChildren said:
Glad to hear about the unlockables. Fuck, I really don't having to wait until the 26th (or whenever). Stupid PAL!
I've got a US Wii, and with the crap Aussie dollar, I have to pay Aus$10 more than the RRP, and that's with cheap shipping that might not even arrive before the Aus realease. :( But I'm sure it'll be worth it!

EatChildren

The_Dude said:
I've got a US Wii, and with the crap Aussie dollar, I have to pay Aus$10 more than the RRP, and that's with cheap shipping that might not even arrive before the Aus realease. :( But I'm sure it'll be worth it!

I'd import and use GeckoOS, but I had to pre-order for the soundtrack. A bonus, but the wait hnnnnggggggggg

markatisu

I paid off my preorder at Gamestop today, they had a really huge poster of Madworld behind the counter (it did not have Jack either, it looked to be one of the enemies)

Top Bottom