• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official MADWORLD Thread of No Means Yes and Yes Means A--wesome!

pvpness

EatChildren said:
The only thing I could think of that would work if Nintendo allocated specific 'quality control' titles to their own shelf display. A small display that hosts, I don't know, 12 different titles geared more towards gamers after something not marketed towards the casual audience.

Publishers could submit these titles to Nintendo's quality control and Nintendo could gauge whether or not these games deserve a place. If they do they get some centre stage, if not they go in with the sea of crap that's already there.

Of course, there are a million and one problems with this solution. Good idea in theory, bad idea in practice.

Either way I hope MadWorld performs well. I'm still not convinced it will, but I hope it does. I think the short length will go against it. People who rent before they buy could very well finish it in a night and have no desire to play it again.
This is essentially what I do at my store. I have a section of Wii games devoted to the higher quality titles and then a section devoted to pretty much everything else. Though I do have a specific section carved out for the Wii line itself. It's actually been pretty successful. I get a lot of people saying, "this is waaaaay better than gamestops set up" so I guess it's working.

Madworld is fucking sweeeeeeet.

I waited all day to play it, just got through the first couple bosses and am completely enjoying it. Everything is so tight and the commentators don't annoying me like I was worried they might. I find myself laughing at the back and forth while I'm slaughtering people.

The Hermit

John Harker said:
"Oh shit, Jack just got PWNED!"

"Pwned? Don't you mean OWNED?"

"I don't know... the kids spell it P-W-N-E-D"

"WTF, you're not a kid, your ancient. Shit like that just makes you sadder"

:lol :lol No way!!

Those guys must had a lot of fun doing this game!

Also framerate went nuts when I hit someone on the motorcycle stage. Amusing!

This happened to me too, but only when I knocked out like 4 cars at once after landing on one from a jump. So I'm not sure if that was suppose to happen or not.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
AceBandage said:
Honestly, if we just spent the rest of the topic quoting the announcers, we'd get like 5,000 awesome posts.

How can Jack miss a target that big?
Maybe he;s on drugs? I know I am! At least... I think I am.
You think?
Don't you?

Truth be told, I like the music, but I had to turn down the music volume to 5. I want to crank Proops and Dimaggio, they add SO MUCH to this game. I cant get over the dialogue, and some of its very context sensitive, so I don't want to miss it! Having these two was effing brilliant, too bad the noise level for everything is so high that I had to turn it all down so I couldnt miss them!

Xellos

Only played the first level, but this game is really great. It's a classic beam-em-up with a manga look and fantastic motion controls. The waggle is smartly used to add ephasis to big hits while buttons handle faster attacks, similar to how No More Heroes mixed the beam katana and wrestling moves/finishing slices. Madworld does it better though by integrating very responsive gestures into all aspects combat and including a greater variety of attacks as well as items and interactions with the levels themselves. My only gripes are that the camera is a bit fussy and enemies are too easy (then again it was only stage 1), but neither of these complaints spoils the fun.

TheChillyAcademic said:
So, just as a sort of inquisitive gesture, when you see the images in game, like: the gore, the exploding body parts, exploding...well everything. What is it that you think? Is it like, "cool!" or "awesome!"?

I think the difference is that, this isn't a realistic portrayal. Meaning its all way over the top and un-realistic. At least from the videos I've seen, I'm still waiting for my copy to show up from Amazon. I think there's a big difference between realistic gore, and over the top, ultra fake gore.

From the video's I've seen, and maybe I'm wrong here, it seems like even when people get ripped in half its just their models separating and tons of blood being sprayed every where. Its not like the game is showing real intestines and organs spilling out of the body. To me I think that's the difference. Why this doesn't bother me, and something more realistic would.

That said though I learned at a real early age to separate fantasy and the real world.

EmCeeGramr said:
I'm amazed that there are actually people in here who think that this game is disgusting or who get nauseated by it. Did you guys faint when you passed by a Mortal Kombat machine or when you saw someone playing Doom?

I'm honestly surprised by both those comments and the people condemning it not for being too violent, but some pre-teen fantasy violence. Clint Eastwood is so right about this generation.

Shin Johnpv said:
I think the difference is that, this isn't a realistic portrayal. Meaning its all way over the top and un-realistic. At least from the videos I've seen, I'm still waiting for my copy to show up from Amazon. I think there's a big difference between realistic gore, and over the top, ultra fake gore.

From the video's I've seen, and maybe I'm wrong here, it seems like even when people get ripped in half its just their models separating and tons of blood being sprayed every where. Its not like the game is showing real intestines and organs spilling out of the body. To me I think that's the difference. Why this doesn't bother me, and something more realistic would.

That said though I learned at a real early age to separate fantasy and the real world.

Well thats what makes the difference ^-^

sonicmj1

Volcynika said:
Just beat RinRin, didn't even notice the DeathWatch challenges, will go back to earlier levels and do all those before fighting the next AsiaTown boss.

Also framerate went nuts when I hit someone on the motorcycle stage. Amusing!

I'm assuming these are different from the Bloodbath Challenges.

How do you discover the conditions or whatever for doing them?

sonicmj1 said:
I'm assuming these are different from the Bloodbath Challenges.

How do you discover the conditions or whatever for doing them?

They're just random.
Some are easy, some you have to really search for.

Like, on the Great Wall Street on, you have to find the orbs.

TheChillyAcademic said:
Well thats what makes the difference ^-^

Sure but like I said its also the portrayal of that fantasy. If this was done realistically, with organs and intestines spilling out of ripped a part bodies, or brains spilling out of peoples heads, I'd be disgusted and disturbed by it, even with it being fantasy and fake. Over the top just blood spraying everywhere though doesn't bother me.

actually, I can think of two times the game did kinda get ahead of itself. The first was the money shot game, and the seoncd was the
monster cock comment. yeah.

Y2Kev said:
Matsuno lives?
WEEDS MUST DIE SO THAT FLOWERS MAY BLOOM

(lol)

you'd be surprised about how much political intrigue there is in MadWorld

sonicmj1

AceBandage said:
They're just random.
Some are easy, some you have to really search for.

Like, on the Great Wall Street on, you have to find the orbs.

How do you learn that you have to find the orbs, though?

Knowing they exist now, I'd be willing to travel back to cleared areas and try and beat them, but I wouldn't know what I was supposed to do to clear the challenges.

Who tells you? What button do you have to press in the menu to see the message that informs you of your task? How does it work?

Y2Kev said:
Matsuno lives?
WEEDS MUST DIE SO THAT FLOWERS MAY BLOOM

(lol)
To be fair, that character is portrayed as an arrogant jackass who tries to wax eloquently about murder but actually comes off as crass and ignorant.

sonicmj1 said:

Knowing they exist now, I'd be willing to travel back to cleared areas and try and beat them, but I wouldn't know what I was supposed to do to clear the challenges.

Who tells you? What button do you have to press in the menu to see the message that informs you of your task? How does it work?

You just kind of have to figure it out yourself. The game will kind of give you hints (watch the opening roll over of the stage, and pay attention to where the enemies seem to congregate).

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
EmCeeGramr said:
To be fair, that character is portrayed as an arrogant jackass who tries to wax eloquently about murder but actually comes off as crass and ignorant.
I wasn't saying the line was cheesy or bad or anything. I liked it. It was just the only bit of the game -so far- that made me think Matsuno really had anything to do with this game. The whole scene was on the universality and constancy of war. And how war decides fate. I mean, vs. throwing people into airplane turbines.

Shin Johnpv said:
Sure but like I said its also the portrayal of that fantasy. If this was done realistically, with organs and intestines spilling out of ripped a part bodies, or brains spilling out of peoples heads, I'd be disgusted and disturbed by it, even with it being fantasy and fake. Over the top just blood spraying everywhere though doesn't bother me.

Ehhh, I think we're talking about fantasy as a base though. Videogames, as a fantasy medium, are inherently stylized. I know very few games that are:

1. As violent and gruesome as Madworld.
2. Realistic, anatomically speaking.

For me, even though say, Manhunt 2, is more realistic looking (art wise) with its violence, I find Madworld a tad more disturbing. In fact lol I'd say it borders on absolutely unnecessary. But again, opinions are opinions and like I've said before, Madworld embraces its violence in nearly every way. Through its audio announcers, art style, Plot and Narrative etc.

Volcynika

sonicmj1 said:

Lemme load it up right quick and I'll tell you.

EDIT: Ugh, can't find it. I know the level after RinRin mentioned the saving of the 3 geishas somewhere...

Also, just as a side note, I really hope Yahtzee reviews this game.
He loved NMH, and I've love to see what he has to say about Mad World.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
I know this is a stretch, but, does this game have a control and killing motion set up for people, like me, that like to hold the Wii remote in their left hand and nunchuck in their right? I've yet to play a game that has it. NMH would get me all confused when I had to do motions, since it would be opposite of how I hold the controllers. It'd be awesome if this game had an option for that.

Volcynika

NameGenerated said:
I know this is a stretch, but, does this game have a control and killing motion set up for people, like me, that like to hold the Wii remote in their left hand and nunchuck in their right? I've yet to play a game that has it. NMH would get me all confused when I had to do motions, since it would be opposite of how I hold the controllers. It'd be awesome if this game had an option for that.

Most of the motions are clear in what direction to hit it so.....maybe? I'm not sure if that's what you mean.

NameGenerated said:

Unfortunately, no, there is no option to switch the controllers. You can still hold them the way you normally would, but you'll have to be watching the icons, instead of the side.

Nishastra

Banned
sonicmj1 said:

At the beginning of the level where it shows Jack and the boss and you have to press A to proceed, it states the Deathwatch Challenge in the lower left.

Challenges can change once you've done them, which is what the exclamation point sign over the level means on the map.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
AceBandage said:
Unfortunately, no, there is no option to switch the controllers. You can still hold them the way you normally would, but you'll have to be watching the icons, instead of the side.
Ah damn. That's what I did in NMH but then my motions don't really act out what he would do on screen, which would happen in this game too. Maybe I'll just try the nunchuck in my left hand and get used to it. I'll dream of this option like I dream of a left-handed guitar peripheral.
Teknoman said:
Are you left handed?
Yup.

Teknoman

NameGenerated said:

Are you left handed?

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
One thing that bugs me a tiny bit is that my whites don't look.. completely white.

They are certainly dulled a bit, more like a grey or offwhite kinda color. They certainly don't look as crisp as they do in stills.

Why is that? Im on a 40 inch samsung lcd and I'm using component cables...
Is this the same with everyone tho?

Can anyone post screens of their game?

John Harker said:
One thing that bugs me a tiny bit is that my whites don't look.. completely white.

They are certainly dulled a bit, more like a grey or offwhite kinda color. They certainly don't look as crisp as they do in stills.

I do remember reading on Platinum's blog that the whites aren't pure white, but a very, very desaturated yellow. It's supposed to help your eyes and make shapes more distinguishable, while still appearing white due to the contrast.

Anyway, I think I figured out what this game reminds me of. It's not like God Hand. It's more like a super-violent 3D Viewtiful Joe. The way Joe would swoop in, and just pound hard on enemies, tearing them apart and stunning them, before launching them away with a finisher that would knock out groups. How each punch packed power; MadWorld really reminds me of that.

John Harker said:

Yellowish was intentional... here's a blog entry discussing it...

http://platinumgames.com/2009/02/17/drawing-in-black-white/

Teknoman

EmCeeGramr said:
I do remember reading on Platinum's blog that the whites aren't pure white, but a very, very desaturated yellow. It's supposed to help your eyes and make shapes more distinguishable, while still appearing white due to the contrast.

Anyway, I think I figured out what this game reminds me of. It's not like God Hand. It's more like a super-violent 3D Viewtiful Joe. The way Joe would swoop in, and just pound hard on enemies, tearing them apart and stunning them, before launching them away with a finisher that would knock out groups. How each punch packed power; MadWorld really reminds me of that.

I think someone else said that before the game released.

Also dont underestimate Bull Crockers...punk killed me during Man Darts. I killed one and left one alone thinking it would stay where it was. The guy comes running down stairs from across the level in the middle of me going for a high man darts score.

Thought I could get extra points by hitting him with the bat :lol

EDIT: lol just noticed that Running Man is on Encore mystery channel. Also funny that alot of living dead movies recently aired with RE5 releasing this week. Coincidence?

Teknoman said:
EDIT: lol just noticed that Running Man is on Encore mystery channel. Also funny that alot of living dead movies recently aired with RE5 releasing this week. Coincidence?

Im glad Im not the only one who noticed! Got a call from GS tonight about the Midnight Launch for RE5 as a matter of fact.

$90? ; ;

Teknoman

3346715845_ea8d4407ef.jpg

http://blogs.sega.com/usa/2009/03/11/madworld-merch-the-amazingly-rare-madworld-hoodie/

3346716027_9d5504e13d.jpg

Just had my first "major" problem with the camera with the third boss. Made him harder than it had to be once since his attacks start getting weirder when you've "dearmed" him.

Linkzg said:
I'm honestly surprised by both those comments and the people condemning it not for being too violent, but some pre-teen fantasy violence. Clint Eastwood is so right about this generation.
Pussy Generation CONFIRMED :(

Xellos

Gary Whitta said:
Okay so how do you beat RinRin? She's the first boss to give me serious trouble.

You can try to get a few quick punches, but if she's blocking do some backflips and back off. Just lock on, dodge her attacks, and counter when you get the chance. Also, if you're quick, you can dash and punch her after she throws her fans, and maybe get chainsaw attack in afterwards.

Linkzg said:
Clint Eastwood is always right, also great to see this game is a hit with most of you guys i am going to try it out myself soon.

Top Bottom