• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official MADWORLD Thread of No Means Yes and Yes Means A--wesome!

windfish said:
df83zp.gif
:lol :lol

I miss that show.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Eteric Rice said:
I don't think it will, honestly. It'll probably sell really well over time.

I think it will act like most other successful Wii games: not charting, but raking up very good sales under the top twenty for quite a long period of time.

markatisu

Regulus Tera said:
I think it will act like most other successful Wii games: not charting, but raking up very good sales under the top twenty for quite a long period of time.

I agree, I would expect if it charts to be in the upper half of the Top 20, the other blockbusters coming out as well as Nintendos own main titles (Wii Fit, Wii Play, etc) are going to take up a majority of the Top 15

The Wii and its games have never really been frontloaded, Wii Music took a month to get a 300% increase, CoD WaW took 2 months to show up in the charts despite launching the same time, Boom Blox took 2 months for EA to tell us it was doing well and ultimately prove it had legs.

It might do better than we expect, its being advertised on par with House of the Dead Overkill which is something 3rd party Wii games never get.

bmf said:
How annoying. Not only is Amazon stating that they won't ship my copy until the 16th, but they also state that they can't cancel the order because it's being prepared. Fuckers.

Super Saver Shipping?

The only reason I'm getting it on Friday is because I paid for standard.

I'm assuming that this is the case for the other people scheduled to receive it on Friday.

The_Dude

TheChillyAcademic said:
I suppose they're two different examples, with extremely varied styles of gore. NG is a tad more realistic, plastic looking maybe, but certainly more human like. Madworld on the other hand is an ultra realized, manga/cartoon esque take.

Sort of like comparing the movie The Rock to 300.
That's true, though maybe I'm strange but it's the sheer amount of blood in MadWorld that bothers me more than what's happening to the characters. I've tried to avoid seeing too much of the game, but one move where Jack spins an enemy around his head and there's just a torrent of blood was a bit off-putting! Anyway, I'll see how I go in (hopefully) a few days.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
"Oh shit, Jack just got PWNED!"

"Pwned? Don't you mean OWNED?"

"I don't know... the kids spell it P-W-N-E-D"

"WTF, you're not a kid, your ancient. Shit like that just makes you sadder"

I can't help but think games like this would do better if Nintendo kept some bare minimum of quality control. When I was at Best Buy today to pick up MW I was taken aback by how inundated the Wii shelves are with pure crap (the last Wii game I bought in a store was probably Metroid Prime 3 or Zack and Wiki). I knew what I was looking for and I still had trouble finding it amongst just rows and rows of Ubisoft and DSI shovelware. It spilled over to near the registers and a separate kiosk.

I know those awful games are what's driving Wii's success among casuals, but it makes me wonder if a game like MadWorld, with its striking boxart, would have a better chance of getting into the average Wii owner's hand's via the "oh, what's this, looks cool" method if it wasn't buried by Imagine: Littlest Carnival Funfest: 20 Games in One!

I know there are plenty of Wii owners who bought it for "real" games like Mario Galaxy, Zelda, even Red Steel back at launch, but don't hang out at GAF all day sucking up every bit of gaming news. Several of my friends, for instance. If the internet hadn't sold me on MadWorld, I probably wouldn't even know it existed, because I'd be loitering around Best Buy checking out the games section, and I'd stroll past the Wii section and not even want to bother.

Volcynika said:
I want the soundtrack so bad. Why no love for the US? :(

I NEED the rap from Asiantown.

"You die, I get paid...It's crazy, I get more money by killing these dudes now ain't that funny?"

Eteric Rice

BrodiemanTTR said:
I can't help but think games like this would do better if Nintendo kept some bare minimum of quality control. When I was at Best Buy today to pick up MW I was taken aback by how inundated the Wii shelves are with pure crap (the last Wii game I bought in a store was probably Metroid Prime 3 or Zack and Wiki). I knew what I was looking for and I still had trouble finding it amongst just rows and rows of Ubisoft and DSI shovelware. It spilled over to near the registers and a separate kiosk.

I know those awful games are what's driving Wii's success among casuals, but it makes me wonder if a game like MadWorld, with its striking boxart, would have a better chance of getting into the average Wii owner's hand's via the "oh, what's this, looks cool" method if it wasn't buried by Imagine: Littlest Carnival Funfest: 20 Games in One!

I know there are plenty of Wii owners who bought it for "real" games like Mario Galaxy, Zelda, even Red Steel back at launch, but don't hang out at GAF all day sucking up every bit of gaming news. Several of my friends, for instance. If the internet hadn't sold me on MadWorld, I probably wouldn't even know it existed, because I'd be loitering around Best Buy checking out the games section, and I'd stroll past the Wii section and not even want to bother.

It's a double edged sword, really. If they start adding quality controls, third parties (lol) will just bitch and moan.

All I can say is tell people about this as much as you can.

markatisu

BrodiemanTTR said:
I know there are plenty of Wii owners who bought it for "real" games like Mario Galaxy, Zelda, even Red Steel back at launch, but don't hang out at GAF all day sucking up every bit of gaming news. Several of my friends, for instance. If the internet hadn't sold me on MadWorld, I probably wouldn't even know it existed, because I'd be loitering around Best Buy checking out the games section, and I'd stroll past the Wii section and not even want to bother

And that is the reason why it takes good games longer to sell, eventually the people walking by see it and word of mouth by that time has spread.

To its benefit MadWorld is advertised in the Best Buy weekly ad so its not like you have to be part of GAF to know its coming out.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The only thing I could think of that would work if Nintendo allocated specific 'quality control' titles to their own shelf display. A small display that hosts, I don't know, 12 different titles geared more towards gamers after something not marketed towards the casual audience.

Publishers could submit these titles to Nintendo's quality control and Nintendo could gauge whether or not these games deserve a place. If they do they get some centre stage, if not they go in with the sea of crap that's already there.

Of course, there are a million and one problems with this solution. Good idea in theory, bad idea in practice.

Either way I hope MadWorld performs well. I'm still not convinced it will, but I hope it does. I think the short length will go against it. People who rent before they buy could very well finish it in a night and have no desire to play it again.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Up to 2nd mission in china town, amazing game, very gory with awesome style and music.

Black & white is especially freaking amazing on a pioneer kuro 9G :D

Eteric Rice

Volcynika said:
Posted earlier (didn't have the vid review when I checked it), but video review from X-Play is up now

http://g4tv.com/xplay/reviews/1939/MadWorld-Review.html

Even after replaying sections, I found myself finding new places and new ways to kill wandering zombies or fleet-footed ninjas. Each section feels new and different than the one before it, never copy and pasted. What MadWorld does right is allow for exploration and experimentation when it comes to killing

Nice. :D

markatisu said:
And that is the reason why it takes good games longer to sell, eventually the people walking by see it and word of mouth by that time has spread.

To its benefit MadWorld is advertised in the Best Buy weekly ad so its not like you have to be part of GAF to know its coming out.

Yeah Sega's been good about really pushing this trio of Wii games they've got. TV and web ads all over the place. I'm talking more about sent-to-die favorites like No More Heroes, Blast Works, Deadly Creatures, etc.

AceBandage said:
Gamespot 7.5s Madworld.

http://www.gamespot.com/wii/action/madworld/review.html

Yet again, giving a Wii game a MUCH lower score than the majority of sites, just to get hits.
Seems their main problems are that "it's too hard" at some points.

To be fair, the criticisms they raise are a somewhat constant in reviewers. That being said, the constant 9's seem a bit high but a 7 is a bit low.

The_Dude said:
That's true, though maybe I'm strange but it's the sheer amount of blood in MadWorld that bothers me more than what's happening to the characters. I've tried to avoid seeing too much of the game, but one move where Jack spins an enemy around his head and there's just a torrent of blood was a bit off-putting! Anyway, I'll see how I go in (hopefully) a few days.

Sounds good.

Teknoman

autobzooty said:
MadWorld came with an update, but I just tested it and the Homebrew channel works fine. So don't worry about that.

Can someone tell me how to pull off finishers? I keep wanting to do them, but I can't damage someone enough to start one without killing them. When I start tapping the punch button, Jack usually just goes on a roll and ends it with a head-exploding, killing punch to the face before I can get him to stop so I can do something a little more spectacular. Any ideas?

Also, lol at a head-exploding killing punch to the face being one of the less spectacular moves in the game :lol

Keep beating em up and when it says finish, press and hold A or B (even if you're in the middle of an attack animation). Also try not to get too into it since you might accidently do a motion control attack.

TheChillyAcademic said:
To be fair, the criticisms they raise are a somewhat constant in reviewers. That being said, the constant 9's seem a bit high but a 7 is a bit low.

But that's just it.
GS is known for giving some games much higher scores than other sites, and much lower scores for some games, JUST for hits.
And it's annoying to every degree.

I'm sorry if I didn't like No More Heroes! I played Madworld for an hour now and I have to say it's a blast to play. It's probably the most violent game I've ever played.

Buggy Loop said:
Up to 2nd mission in china town, amazing game, very gory with awesome style and music.

Black & white is especially freaking amazing on a pioneer kuro 9G :D

Yep. It looks awesome on the Kuro, as does pretty much everything else.. I need to play more.

harSon

Banned
About fucking time :D

I'll be buying a Wii of my friend fairly soon, or should I say buying back my Wii considering I sold it to him :D

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
scitek said:
First impressions: HOLY FUCKING SHIT

Are we sure this isn't running in 480p? It looks fantastic on my 1080p set.

Yeah you know your TV deinterlaces/scales it regardless, right?

Also, doesn't your TV have any sort of "Info" button?

kaskade

Looks like my Amazon copy will be here tomorrow. I should have just waited, I thought the delivery date was going to be for saturday. Oh well, now I'll have my money for RE5.

AceBandage said:
But that's just it.
GS is known for giving some games much higher scores than other sites, and much lower scores for some games, JUST for hits.
And it's annoying to every degree.

Hmmm, I suppose given Gamespot's history, that doesn't surprise me.

pakkit

Banned
I've put two hours into MadWorld and I've got to say, I'm a bit disappointed.

The combat system seems pretty basic, and I really dislike the controller layout. Who decided to map the A button to pick up items/people, and to punch? Why can't I dash with any reliability? Why does the lock-on suck? Whomever said that it was a problem of lack of buttons, that's some bull, they easily could've found some way around it, or, even better, given players the ability to change the controls themselves. I do like the story, even though it might not be the long epics that the writer may be famous for.

And for once a game's amount of violence actually revolted me a bit. It was the
Death Press
that sent me over.
Seeing all of those mashed up bodies and blood leaking everywhere actually made me a bit nauseated.

Despite all my criticisms, I really enjoy the game so far, it just seems to be a bit weak on the controls from a layout perspective, and not, ironically, from a waggle standpoint. I don't really mind the camera issues, it's not on the level of NMH.

Also, this game is the prettiest game on Wii, right there with Mario Galaxy.

I actually liked that GS review, even though I'd say the numeric score is a little low.

Chumly

AceBandage said:
Gamespot 7.5s Madworld.

http://www.gamespot.com/wii/action/madworld/review.html

Yet again, giving a Wii game a MUCH lower score than the majority of sites, just to get hits.
Seems their main problems are that "it's too hard" at some points.
Hmmm they really seem to be all over the place with Wii reviews. Its like their oposite of IGN. IGN gives No more heroes a 7.8 so Gamespot gives it a 9. IGN gives Madworld a 9 so Gamespot gives it a 7.5.

krzy123

AnonymousNoob said:
Super Saver Shipping?

The only reason I'm getting it on Friday is because I paid for standard.

I'm assuming that this is the case for the other people scheduled to receive it on Friday.

Nope, I got the free super saver shipping and mine should be here by Friday or Sat. It shipped today.

HOLY FUCKING CRAP

This game is so awesome. I'm not even blazing through it, I'm stopping every so often to replay past levels, just because I missed some type of killing tool or item the first time around, or to replay the Bloodbath Challenges. It's amazing. The time limits on levels are very lenient, so don't rush through the whole level. Take your time and explore each stage to the fullest, and you'll probably find several new environmental kills or combos that you totally missed the first time.

It's really easy to get caught up in it, too. The first time I got the neck snap finisher, I actually pulled out my Nunchuk cord I was pulling so hard. :lol Yeah, the camera and lock-on controls are a bit wonky at times, but you rarely ever need to lock-on as it is.

I'm amazed that there are actually people in here who think that this game is disgusting or who get nauseated by it. Did you guys faint when you passed by a Mortal Kombat machine or when you saw someone playing Doom?

PS:
"I like to wash my happy pills down with a little scotch!"
"I like to wash my scotch down with a little scotch!"
"I like to wash my scotch that I washed the scotch down with with a little scotch!"
"I like scotch!"
"I like scotch!"

John Harker said:
Hmm, 8 min left. How do I get that dragon orb?

Just get to the roof, then jump onto the dragon's back. Walk to the head, and hold down A.

"I like to wash my happy pills down with a little scotch!"
"I like to wash my scotch down with a little scotch!"
"I like to wash my scotch that I washed the scotch down with with a little scotch!"
"I like scotch!"
"I like scotch!"

Honestly, if we just spent the rest of the topic quoting the announcers, we'd get like 5,000 awesome posts.

How can Jack miss a target that big?
Maybe he;s on drugs? I know I am! At least... I think I am.
You think?
Don't you?

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
EmCeeGramr said:
HOLY FUCKING CRAP

Just get to the roof, then jump onto the dragon's back. Walk to the head, and hold down A.

Ha, that was so much easier than I was making it out to be. Thanks.
The other two were tricker so I thought this one was as well. Solid.

And I for one do not think this game is "so easy" ive died plenty of times aleady and I'm only on Asia Town! :lol

Reminds me so much of NMH its uncanny

Althane

First boss I died to: Rinrin. My god, WHAT IS THE STRATEGY WITH THAT BOSS? I spent 3 continues on that, and only beat her through luck.

First level of the thrid stage is... friggin' zombies. Always grabbing me, and getting me axed by the reaper.

=(

Fight with E. Honda was awesome though. SO much fun once I figured out what to do.

John Harker said:
And I for one do not think this game is "so easy" ive died plenty of times aleady and I'm only on Asia Town! :lol
Yeah, I've died about one or twice per level, and I just finished Asian Town.

Althane said:
First boss I died to: Rinrin. My god, WHAT IS THE STRATEGY WITH THAT BOSS? I spent 3 continues on that, and only beat her through luck.

First level of the thrid stage is... friggin' zombies. Always grabbing me, and getting me axed by the reaper.

=(

Fight with E. Honda was awesome though. SO much fun once I figured out what to do.

Punch her right after she's thrown her blades, or hit her with an iron ball, then do a QTE.

Also, GT review is up.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/46615.html

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
harSon said:
About fucking time :D

I'll be buying a Wii of my friend fairly soon, or should I say buying back my Wii considering I sold it to him :D

This game made me buy a Wii yesterday. :D

Volcynika

Just beat RinRin, didn't even notice the DeathWatch challenges, will go back to earlier levels and do all those before fighting the next AsiaTown boss.

Also framerate went nuts when I hit someone on the motorcycle stage. Amusing!

Top Bottom