• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official MADWORLD Thread of No Means Yes and Yes Means A--wesome!

Hiltz

I forgot about the torch as well as the spear.

I thought the spear and daggers have the coolest QTE finisher moves of all of those locker items but I don't remember a shotgun.

markatisu

Hiltz said:
I forgot about the torch which is another pretty cool item but I don't remember a shot gun.

I cant remember which level (I think its in Asia town) but it requires a shitload of points to open, you see it on the list at the beginning of the level

Vinci

Danish
John Harker said:
Why does it seem like we're really only getting a tiny piece of the story?
So much is hinted at or offhandedly mentioned, but we really don't get much by the end. Especially about Jack or his true "work" or anything, seems like there is so much story and history here and we get so few windows into it :(

Welcome to Matsuno. I remember translators for FF XII saying that the bible of the game - ie. his notes - were hundreds of pages long.

Also, @ ..pakbeka.. -> You are awesome for suggesting a NMH / Madworld crossover. I'd kill to play that game. In creative, Jack-like ways even.

Hiltz

In terms of storytelling, MadWorld's felt more moody and serious while No More Heroes offered a more ridiculous and over the top experience in my opinion.

Chozo

John Harker said:
Doesn't really explain at all who Lord Gessor is and why everyone seemed afraid of him, but he apparently knows who the real Jack was and still helped him despite sponsor 13 pulling the contract out.

My impression was that
Lord Gessor is XIII.

just beat it right now. as the past few spoiler tagged posts discussed, there seems to be much more to the plot that they didnt go into. leaving room for a sequel, I'm guessing. The game was tons of fun and I loved it, but way too easy. Not even the bosses posed a threat really. I wish they spent more time with the bosses too, cuz some of them seemed really cool. The game is short and I knew this, but I would have liked to see one more area on the map (with the 3 locations within it). I'll be going through on hard starting tomorrow, I wonder if there's an extra boss or cutscene at the end if you can beat it on hard. Anyone here accomplish that yet?

markatisu

The guys at Platinum Games said they could easily do a sequel but had to wait on sales of the first game to come in. It would be a damn shame if this did not get a sequel though (just like most people felt NMH deserved a sequel after the twist ending)

I wonder what would be better to do, a prequel or a direct sequel. Seems they could go either way

If someone from platinum games is reading this thread, I want to say that if we ever get a Madworld sequel, or another game with the same black and white plus red color scheme, I'd love to see the main character with a red scarf (the hero kind), it would look awesome IMO

Hiltz

The nice thing about a potential sequel is that it shouldn't take as long to develop since the game engine is already built for it.

As much as I'd love to see a MadWorld sequel, I'd really like to see more original IP from Platinum Games. Either way, let's just pray it sells well.

Random question, has anyone managed to find all the "Evil Crows" (or whatever they're called)? Seems to me like finding and killing all of them might unlock something, ala the birds from GTA4. You can find the only one I know about
on the back railing of the area where you do the "Money Shot" Bloodbath Challenge in the first level of Asian Town
if someone wants to try. You can find out how many you killed in the Game Log.

Ashour

I'm sold on this game, I will probably get it after I finish Fallout 3.

I really want this game to succeed just to show Capcom what idiots they are for letting these talented developers go.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Can't wait to properly replay the game this week and find the little secrets, I didn't have much time in the weekend after I beat it for the first time.

Chozo said:
My impression was that
Lord Gessor is XIII.
I see it this way too.
His contract with Jack and subsequent pulling off the sponsoring was all part of the plan to fool both the Bureau, to get their support and resources, and the DeatWatch, in order to make Jack the "controversial star of the show with an agenda" so they would have to follow the rules instead of killing him any way they wanted to avoid the backlash from the viewers. This way it would be easier for Jack to proceed even after they discovered who he really was while Gesser would be able to stay in the shadows supporting him.

I feel it's clear that they knew each other beforehand and that it was staged in the scene they "cancel" the contract where Jack breaks the communicator. They seem pretty confortable with the situation and Gesser even calmly says "welcome back" (to the Game).

I was let down by the final boss:

I couldn't take him seriously because he was comic relief previously. Also after fighting giants like Little Eddie and Frankenstein, and even a giant mech (I think his name was Martin?) fighting a man didn't do it for me. The fight itself wasn't difficult either, at no point was I feeling any pressure. BB did do a lot of damage if he hit you, but one of the geisha's tossed me an onion mid fight; appreciated, but I don't think they should've given you that... I mean it's the final boss, it's supposed to be hard.

sounds like hard mode is brutal though, so I'm looking forward to it.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Gryphter said:
I was let down by the final boss:

I couldn't take him seriously because he was comic relief previously. Also after fighting giants like Little Eddie and Frankenstein, and even a giant mech (I think his name was Martin?) fighting a man didn't do it for me. The fight itself wasn't difficult either, at no point was I feeling any pressure. BB did do a lot of damage if he hit you, but one of the geisha's tossed me an onion mid fight; appreciated, but I don't think they should've given you that... I mean it's the final boss, it's supposed to be hard.

sounds like hard mode is brutal though, so I'm looking forward to it.

But it had to be done. Since the game is the spiritual twin of No More Heroes, it had to have
a wrestler/boxer fighting in the Ring/Garden of Madness!

Soul mates, these games.

John Harker said:
But it had to be done. Since the game is the spiritual twin of No More Heroes, it had to have
a wrestler/boxer fighting in the Ring/Garden of Madness!

Soul mates, these games.

waitaminute... I didn't pick up on this reference, and I LOVE NMH!! Can you please explain this to me? I can't look it up because gaming websites other than GAF are blocked for me at work.

My best guess based off of what you said:
In NMH the last level was called Garden of Madness, I think Sylvia called it that via cell phone. And the boxer you're referring to is Jeane. Last stage in MW is called Ring of Madness, and the boxer is obviously BB.

Is that it? Possibly a coincidence?

Gryphter said:
waitaminute... I didn't pick up on this reference, and I LOVE NMH!! Can you please explain this to me? I can't look it up because gaming websites other than GAF are blocked for me at work.

'Garden of Madness'
is mentioned by Sylvia almost every time she calls you on the phone. You don't remember that?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
So, has anyone beaten it on hard yet? I know you unlock a couple of weapons after beating it on normal, but does anyone know if there is a reward for hard?

Nothing at all would be pretty sucky.

John Harker

Gryphter said:

In NMH the last level was called Garden of Madness, I think Sylvia called it that via cell phone. And the boxer you're referring to is Jeane. Last stage in MW is called Ring of Madness, and the boxer is obviously BB.

Is that it? Possibly a coincidence?

Yea that's what I meant (also Travis's obsession with wrestlers), but there are a lot more similarities than just that. That to me was the "final" connection and one of the more brazen ones :)

I made some vague mentions of connections between the two before in this thread. I just thought all those little touches were fun.

But were such good games, though personally I'd give the edge to NMH

John Harker said:
Awesome things I just discovered in the first Castle stage:

you can cut down the trees by the fountain and use them as massive, spiked bats. Swing away, you can kill anything in 1 hit and get about 5-6 guys in one swing for maaasive damage. Also, you can toss guys on the front of the long table in the dining room and you tangle a few together they'll all roll across the table and into the fire. :lol Got my first Ultra Violence this way

no major spoiler, just cool little ways to kill
Thank you for the first one. That's so awesome, I just got 6 Supers and 2 Extremes on the Courtyard because of that. :D

I still haven't got an Ultra Violence yet, I can't imagine how many guys you'd have to kill for that.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Ugh, Amazon, my packed is STILL in Maryland just sitting there. This has never happened before and of course the one time it does is when I'm getting Madworld. :(

dyls

NameGenerated said:
Ugh, Amazon, my packed is STILL in Maryland just sitting there. This has never happened before and of course the one time it does is when I'm getting Madworld. :(

Mine says it's hanging out in Elkridge, MD as well. It got there on the 11th, and there hasn't been an update since. Supposed to arrive today...

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
dyls said:
Mine says it's hanging out in Elkridge, MD as well. It got there on the 11th, and there hasn't been an update since. Supposed to arrive today...
Wow, same thing too, the 11th. Was supposed to arrive on the 12th for me.

Teknoman

Vinci said:
Welcome to Matsuno. I remember translators for FF XII saying that the bible of the game - ie. his notes - were hundreds of pages long.

Does this mean we'll get a series of games in the same universe then? Like how Ogre Battle, FFT, FFXII, and Vagrant Story are all tied together?

Eteric Rice

My Wal-Mart finally got it in. This game is hilarious! :lol

Only thing that sucks is the camera. The only other thing that sucks for "me" is that I usually shake my leg, and my hand that has the nunchuk rests on that leg. So suddenly every once in a while, Jack is doing a bunch of backflips. :lol

John Harker

EmCeeGramr said:
Thank you for the first one. That's so awesome, I just got 6 Supers and 2 Extremes on the Courtyard because of that. :D

I still haven't got an Ultra Violence yet, I can't imagine how many guys you'd have to kill for that.

Actually come to think of it, I didn't get an Ultra either actually. Just an Extreme.

Which means I didn't get one Ultra all game, ha. Where do people get these?

Yep, this game is brutal on hard. You really have to save the healing items til you really need them, luckily you can run past most enemies a la Resident Evil.

I went into the save file I used to beat the game, and it gave me the option to choose difficulty. It started off like I was restarting, but when it got to the map, I was still ranked #1 and it let me choose any area I wanted. I reset the game and choose a blank save file, but it makes me wonder if I can just go into the first one, go straight to the last fight and beat it, if it would count as me beating it on hard.

Just got to Asian Town though, looking forward to RinRin

so some stages have requirements to meet, and have icon slots on the bottom left of the HUD to fill, for example, the 3 orbs in Asian Town's first area. I never bothered to get all 3, but what happens if you do? Other stages have the requirement slots as well

markatisu

Gryphter said:
so some stages have requirements to meet, and have icon slots on the bottom left of the HUD to fill, for example, the 3 orbs in Asian Town's first area. I never bothered to get all 3, but what happens if you do? Other stages have the requirement slots as well

As far as the DW requirements, you gain items I think when you complete them

In the 1st castle stage you have to impale one zombie on every spike in the fountain, once you do all of them the fountain fills with blood...cant remember what you gain as a result

I know there is one in Asia town about collecting 3 bull masks, and one in the 2nd castle level about getting signs in the drillers

markatisu said:
As far as the DW requirements, you gain items I think when you complete them

In the 1st castle stage you have to impale one zombie on every spike in the fountain, once you do all of them the fountain fills with blood...cant remember what you gain as a result

oh interesting. i have never been able to get one in the center spike in the fountain

goldenticket said:
oh interesting. i have never been able to get one in the center spike in the fountain

same here, I can't figure out how to get someone on it. good to you can skip these requirements if need be, though. sometimes I'm low on health and cant afford any extra battles

botticus

Man, boss battles in this game are one of the few times using the Wii where I say "wow, my arms are sore." The waggling, so fun!

Top Bottom