• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official MADWORLD Thread of No Means Yes and Yes Means A--wesome!

Dascu

Ultra Violence:
Stuff a zombie with pretty much everything you can. Throw a piece of meat to get a bunch of other zombies to gather around him. Get as much zombies there as you can. Throw an explosive barrel on top of them.

Also, the music was awesome. Is there a soundtrack?
Yes. UK pre-order bonus from HMV. There's other ways to get it by now.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
JB-HiFi sent out my copy yesterday, so it arrived today, along with the OST.

Game is fucking amazing. All my expectations met. I wanted a brutal, stylish, engaging, creative brawler and that's exactly what I got. Fighting is fluid, there are heaps of things to play with, the Bloodbath Challenges are a blast, and the boss fights are fucking awesome.

PAL version here and surprisingly the 50hz thing isn't too big of an issue. Game still runs silky smooth (minus some loading pauses), and if the borders shit me too much I just turn on Wide Zoom + Move, which might seem cheap, but the game still looks great and fills the screen.

Also, the OST fucking rocks.

Oh, and I don't have a lot of the whole murky yellow + white look. There is a very slight hint of yellow, but so slight I'm wondering if its just psychosomatic. Mostly all bright whites and blacks. Looks gorgeous.

Dascu said:
So am I, it's lovely. The Ox tracks are my favourites.

I'm listening to it as well. Only downside is that most of the tracks clock in at about 2 min 30 seconds, and I wish they were longer (cuz I like them so much)

edit: So what's everyone's favorite track(s)? I really like Ain't That Funny

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Oxx said:
I'm listening to the soundtrack right now. I really like it.

Lucky. I have to listen to the soundtrack on youtube, if i am not playing the game. :( Yea the game is awesome and the soundtrack is very good. Actually I like listening to the soundtrack while playing burnout paradise. I wish i can find the actual disc and buy it.

Dascu said:
So am I, it's lovely. The Ox tracks are my favourites.

Same here. I love the song Soul, Move, get it up, Ride!! aint't that funny is another song I like but it is by Sick YG.

I'm not usually into rap music but this stuff is damn good. I'm glad the game has underground rap artists rather than mainstream artists. Oh and that song "You don't know me" is quite catchy.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Dascu said:
Ultra Violence:
Stuff a zombie with pretty much everything you can. Throw a piece of meat to get a bunch of other zombies to gather around him. Get as much zombies there as you can. Throw an explosive barrel on top of them.

Yes. UK pre-order bonus from HMV. There's other ways to get it by now.
You dirty pirate you, buy your soundtracks! Support the devs!

The soundtrack is amazing though, I really really really want this game :(.

neojubei

Oxx said:
'Move' is probably my favourite track.

Soul is my favorite track. Burnout Paradise would benefit from this soundtrack.

Gryphter said:
I'm listening to it as well. Only downside is that most of the tracks clock in at about 2 min 30 seconds, and I wish they were longer (cuz I like them so much)

edit: So what's everyone's favorite track(s)? I really like Ain't That Funny

That's my second favorite track. I wish the soundtrack was some kind of bonus here in the states. :( Those ebay prices are harsh.

Anyone know where I can find a Madworld poster of Jack?

neojubei said:
Anyone know where I can find a Madworld poster of Jack?

You already mentioned it, but I've seen a few on ebay. You might have to outbid me though, I'm seriously considering it. :D

top result in ebay:

3363313333_3f16ea9927_o.jpg

HAAWWWWWT

neojubei

Gryphter said:
You already mentioned it, but I've seen a few on ebay. You might have to outbid me though, I'm seriously considering it. :D

top result in ebay:

3363313333_3f16ea9927_o.jpg

HAAWWWWWT

Yea I need that framed for my apartment please. :D

HAHA you didn't post the ebay link, you sly dog.

NotWii

Banned
My fav tracks in order

You Don't Know Me (SO GOOD)
Survival
Get It Up
let's Go!
Aint That Funny
Death and Honour
Crimson Rain
deathwatch

All fantastic!

Wizpig

Care to explain me once and for all these 4:3 issues? thanks in advance.

I hear there are some kind of problems with 4:3, didn't really understand what [black bars?] but does 16:9 solve it?
I got a Widescreen TV but i usually put the TV and the Wii in 4:3, should i put it in 16:9 when playing MadWorld?

YES! Soundtrack discussion! :D

My favorites:

You Don't Know Me
DeathWatch
Look Pimpin'!
Get it up!
Let's Go!
MAD WORLD
Body That

Those are my absolute favorite and in no particular order (Though, You Don't Know Me is VERY high up--it's fucking awesome).

EDIT: Yeah, if it becomes available, I'll definitely buy it with my jizzed money. OM NOM NOM soundtrack!

Grayman

Loved this game so far. Now I need to decide whether to play on hard or more on normal.

Can anyone tell me about those new items I unlocked? Are they supposed to be a surprise when I get them, i thought I would start a level and press left/right but no dice.

Grayman said:
Loved this game so far. Now I need to decide whether to play on hard or more on normal.

Can anyone tell me about those new items I unlocked? Are they supposed to be a surprise when I get them, i thought I would start a level and press left/right but no dice.

you'll find them in the stage. I didn't use them too much but the one I did find
katana
wasn't even in a crate or unlocked through points, it was just in the middle of the floor

Grayman

Gryphter said:
you'll find them in the stage. I didn't use them too much but the one I did find
katana
wasn't even in a crate or unlocked through points, it was just in the middle of the floor
Ah, I found one now, little eddie did not like my katana :lol

Oxx

Finally managed to make some progress.

Despite getting plenty of advice and watching the boss battle on the youtubes I just about managed to squeak past
Frank
on my last life with a sliver of health remaining. Reminiscent of my frantic 'next goal wins' victory over Metroid Prime.

Elise
was slightly easier. Took me a while to work out how to progress the fight at one point, though.

CraigMcD

Wizpig said:
Care to explain me once and for all these 4:3 issues? thanks in advance.

I hear there are some kind of problems with 4:3, didn't really understand what [black bars?] but does 16:9 solve it?
I got a Widescreen TV but i usually put the TV and the Wii in 4:3, should i put it in 16:9 when playing MadWorld?
The game always displays in widescreen, so you'll get borders on a 4:3 TV.

Dascu

Tenbatsu said:
I realized I am getting less creative in my kills in a stage as time passes by. Btw how do you execute a Ultra Violence kill?
I posted one earlier, though I haven't tried it myself. Got it from Gamefaqs.
Basically, on level 3-1, stick a zombie with as much poles, pumpkins, etc. as you can. The zombies don't die of this, contrary to the other "human" foes. Then gather as much zombies together with a piece of meat, around that first zombie. Then throw an explosive barrel at them.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
EatChildren said:
JB-HiFi sent out my copy yesterday, so it arrived today, along with the OST.

Game is fucking amazing. All my expectations met. I wanted a brutal, stylish, engaging, creative brawler and that's exactly what I got. Fighting is fluid, there are heaps of things to play with, the Bloodbath Challenges are a blast, and the boss fights are fucking awesome.

PAL version here and surprisingly the 50hz thing isn't too big of an issue. Game still runs silky smooth (minus some loading pauses), and if the borders shit me too much I just turn on Wide Zoom + Move, which might seem cheap, but the game still looks great and fills the screen.

Also, the OST fucking rocks.

Oh, and I don't have a lot of the whole murky yellow + white look. There is a very slight hint of yellow, but so slight I'm wondering if its just psychosomatic. Mostly all bright whites and blacks. Looks gorgeous.
Couldn't have said it better myself. I picked up my copy yesterday.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I fucking hate
Death Blade
. Prick gets me every time. I have trouble with one thing in particular;
Zombie grabs you, he spawns, and its a 1-hit-kill. A quick-time motion event appears briefly, but I NEVER seem to get it. It's fucking with me!

Commentary is hit-and-miss for me. Misses are the repetition and some of the jokes.

Repetition wise the game does a good job of keep it full of variety, but there are some context sensitive incidents where I hear the same shit over and over, Bloodbath Challenges being the guiltiest parties. I'm terrible tired of hearing "OW! YOU SHOT ME YOU FUCKER!" at the end of every challenge.

Some of the jokes are also pretty cruddy, focusing more on how many times they can say 'fuck' rather than actually having a punch-line. Most are great though, and I can really see why they put them in as even with so much noise going on they do a good job of uplifting the game's atmosphere, especially during level/enemy introductions.

Still loving it though. So much love has gone into this game and it shows.

Tenbatsu

Dascu said:
I posted one earlier, though I haven't tried it myself. Got it from Gamefaqs.
Basically, on level 3-1, stick a zombie with as much poles, pumpkins, etc. as you can. The zombies don't die of this, contrary to the other "human" foes. Then gather as much zombies together with a piece of meat, around that first zombie. Then throw an explosive barrel at them.
Sigh, this is not easy to execute at all. Enemies that are stuck with poles will die after some time, you need to plan your kills well, shows how hardcore this game is.

Btw what are the '!' signs on the map?? I realized they switch around.

Haunted

Love this game, love the gore, love the commentators. Their back-and-forth is probably my favourite part about the game. :D

But man, difficulty sure does spike in the later levels.
Cyber Splicers hacking away at my health + that boss-tag team led to my first game over screen yesterday.

Dascu

Tenbatsu said:
Btw what are the '!' signs on the map?? I realized they switch around.
They indicate that there's a new DeathWatch Challenge in the level. It refreshes each time you finish a level.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
So uhm, did anyone in here use GeckOS to force the PAL version to run in 60Hz? Does it look good or is it a better idea to just buy the NTSC version?

EatChildren

Easy_D said:
So uhm, did anyone in here use GeckOS to force the PAL version to run in 60Hz? Does it look good or is it a better idea to just buy the NTSC version?

GeckoOS in ForcePAL60 doesn't have any effect at all. I've heard rumblings that the channel used for running copied games has a ForcePAL60 mode that works, but I cannot confirm it as my firmware is too high to install it.

Either import or deal with the borders.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
I finally received my copy and the preorder bonus OST, and I've just finished the first level.
The game is completely awesome, I kept killing thugs for a while instead of getting to the boss because it's THAT fun.
For my 4:3 CRT tv I found the best settings to be 16:9 @576i. It doesn't look right in the Wii menus, but it reduces the size of black bars considerably once you boot the game.

Wizpig said:
nqtxfr.jpg

EatChildren said:
GeckoOS in ForcePAL60 doesn't have any effect at all. I've heard rumblings that the channel used for running copied games has a ForcePAL60 mode that works, but I cannot confirm it as my firmware is too high to install it.

Either import or deal with the borders.

I've tried that with the both the Official and Unofficial GeckoOS but neither forces the game into 60hz. :/

PG and Sega Europe really screwed over the PALers this time. :/

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Meh, other than the black bars (which I'm used to as I play my 360 on a 16:10 monitor) I can't really notice the 50Hz thing. It definitely doesn't detract from the game. However, if I had a point of comparison (if I had seen Madworld running at 60Hz), then my opinion would probably be different.

pakkit

Banned
Rez said:
Meh, other than the black bars (which I'm used to as I play my 360 on a 16:10 monitor) I can't really notice the 50Hz thing. It definitely doesn't detract from the game. However, if I had a point of comparison (if I had seen Madworld running at 60Hz), then my opinion would probably be different.
The solution is obvious, just don't ever visit America.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
About controls, I'm not a fan of having to hold a button for long periods of time (ie. when you carry something or someone around). Why couldn't they have you holding the A button for a few seconds to pick stuff and enemies up, and pressing it again - instead of releasing it - to throw them, is beyond me. Especially considering this is what they did for lock-on: you hold the C button for a few seconds to activate it, and you do it again to deactivate it.

NotWii

Banned
Jocchan said:
About controls, I'm not a fan of having to hold a button for long periods of time (ie. when you carry something or someone around). Why couldn't they have you holding the A button for a few seconds to pick stuff and enemies up, and pressing it again - instead of releasing it - to throw them, is beyond me. Especially considering this is what they did for lock-on: you hold the C button for a few seconds to activate it, and you do it again to deactivate it.
At first I found that jarring because that's not the 'videogame' way to do things.

But really, when you pick up something in real life, don't you hold onto it the whole time? :p
I think it's good what they've done.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Wii said:
At first I found that jarring because that's not the 'videogame' way to do things.

But really, when you pick up something in real life, don't you hold onto it the whole time? :p
I think it's good what they've done.
Yes, but the first rule you have to follow when designing controls for a game is making them comfortable. It's nothing game breaking like the infamous Z + A from Dead Rising Wii, I'm just nitpicking because I like the game so much :D
Considering the game already knows whether you're tapping a button or holding it a bit more, going for a more comfortable solution would have made more sense to me.

EatChildren

I'm up to the
Frank
boss fight and I hate it. It's by far my least favourite so far, and not because it can be challenging, but because
Frank is slow and cumbersome. Every boss fight so far has been energetic and fast paced, yet still with plenty variety. Frank's is far too much about sitting back, exploiting opportunities, and waiting for him to stumble in your direction. Bit boring, in my opinion.

Scrubking said:
So anyone have any theories why
Jack came back to Deathwatch? It obvioulsy wasn't to help people.

Well after beating the game and reading Matsuno's Q&A at the end of the game guide... I think Jack was merely driven to make them(the deathwatchers & starters of the game) pay by bringing an end to the madness. Although one could say he was a triple crosser, at first he's in it to play then it was revealed he was sent to save someone but that was bs and he was in it to stop Leo and Noa. In all honesty Matsuno said throughout the game there's hints for us as to guess what his true intentions were. I like to stick with my perception of it.

Top Bottom