• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Mercenaries 2: World in Flames Thread

MattyH said:
anyone know what the update does
i got a update when i started playing this morning on the 360

Anyone know if the PS3 update is outdate? Online play has been totally fucking borked for me, I'm hoping they fix it.

notjackbauer said:
Anyone know if the PS3 update is outdate? Online play has been totally fucking borked for me, I'm hoping they fix it.
You're the first person I've heard that thinks it needs to be fixed. My co-op experience has been absolutely perfect and so has all the people I've played with. Honestly, I consider it the highlight of the game that it has worked so well so far.

BobTheFork said:
You're the first person I've heard that thinks it needs to be fixed. My co-op experience has been absolutely perfect and so has all the people I've played with. Honestly, I consider it the highlight of the game that it has worked so well so far.

Really?? That makes me so sad- I agree that co-op is awesome, and I love it when someone randomly drops into my game, but yesterday I wasn't able to link up with my friend who lives in the same damn neighborhood as me. We tried over and over connecting to each other's games, and everytime we got the same error message. And I get the same error message whenever I try to join anyone's game. If anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear them.

industrian said:
Gametrailers review is up.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/39789.html

Design: 8.0
Story: 7.4
Gameplay: 7.0
Presentation: 7.8

Overall: 7.9

I gotta say - I still don't understand the complaints against the AI - or at least why this game in particular gets the complaint. What other open world games have better AI?

Not that I would have minded smarter AI - it just seems like its an albatross that's hanging on Mercenaries 2 while other games like GTA4 don't get a mention.

raYne

NullPointer said:
I gotta say - I still don't understand the complaints against the AI - or at least why this game in particular gets the complaint. What other open world games have better AI?

Not that I would have minded smarter AI - it just seems like its an albatross that's hanging on Mercenaries 2 while other games like GTA4 don't get a mention.
>obvious reply here<

NullPointer said:

Yeah I don't get the gripes either

Does the AI practice FEAR levels of complexity and tactics?

No

Does the AI present a constant challenge anyway?

Yes

The AI is on par is not a bit better than Mercs1 in that, you CANNOT expect to just waltz into any scenario and walk all over the enemies without planning accordingly. Hell the moment the AI sees the opportunity, it's going to jack the nearest Tank, Jeep, Copter, etc.. to get an advantage...

AgentOtaku said:
Yeah I don't get the gripes either

Does the AI practice FEAR levels of complexity and tactics?

No

Does the AI present a constant challenge anyway?

Yes

The AI is on par is not a bit better than Mercs1 in that, you CANNOT expect to just waltz into any scenario and walk all over the enemies without planning accordingly. Hell the moment the AI sees the opportunity, it's going to jack the nearest Tank, Jeep, Copter, etc.. to get an advantage...
Every single time I take my own chopper into the middle of a fight, someone from my backside runs and takes it; it even happens in co-op.

I would give Mercs 2 an 8, so the 7.9 I think is pretty good. I take off 2 points for the graphics, and glitches, and how so many of the missions are a somewhat generic outpost take-over. Still a 10/10 on the fun factor. The Ikari warriors comparison Wasabi made is dead on. It's fast paced destructive fun for two people.

Haunted

Is there ever a point of no return when working for one of the last two factions? Spoilers for ~70% in:

I'm at the point where I basically have to choose between China and Allies - just blew up the Universal Petroleum HQ for the Chinese - and I haven't even talked to the Allies yet. Can I still do the bounties and missions for the Allies (money is not an issue, I can bribe them) after completing all of the Chinese missions? Or should I stop working for Peng now and do all of the allied stuff first? His talk of kicking the AN out of Venezuela completely makes me wary to take on another mission for him. >_<

edit: and Matthias' 'suit' costume is awesome = his flattened mohawk looks hilarious. :lol

itxaka

Defeatist
AgentOtaku said:
Hell the moment the AI sees the opportunity, it's going to jack the nearest Tank, Jeep, Copter, etc.. to get an advantage...

That is the problem. They even jack your copter even they are your allies xD

And of course, the dreaded "that machine gun is empty!" and the guy running in front of you is pretty bad. I mean, why the fuck do they leave their cover to get a machine gun 60 meter away tuning towards me?

And what about the auto killing of the HVTs? That is pretty awesome, you go on a copter, the icon appear of the HVT and suddenly you got the bounty because he killed himself xD

Also, fucking glitched achievements. I still don't have the millionarie one, even with 120 millions. Also, the game says I been playing about 167 hours xD

And another thing, I can't complete the 100% of the game, the destruction of building for the UP is glitched and shows that I still have some left, but there are none on the map. So impossible to get that achivement without starting all over again and doing everything again and I have ecerything at 100% except that part!

And! when destroying buildings and verifying HVT, if you are on a copter you can run the hell out of the place and the mood of the faction won't count. Even if a guy is calling them, if you leave the zone or go up, they dissapear from the map (like the icons).

And! the dreaded Eva parts xD I got 101/100 on the progress page but got about 85 in reality, they just give me pieces randomly.

BUT this is my sandbox game of the year (waiting SR2) even with all the glitches. It's as fun as you can get, and it's pretty close to Just cause (one of my favorites in the genre)

Just sticking a C4 to a car and driving it to an enemy base, jumping out and seeing how it goes towards the enemy while you press the trigger is awesome. A-we-some.
And the grappling is really cool! I hope they let you do some acrobatics or a parachute like in Just Cause but :)

Brashnir

NullPointer said:

the problem is perception, which (I think) comes from the wonky animation in this game. dudes just fucking stand there and look the other way, stuck in an animation cycle for seconds at a time while you blow them away. The AI itself may not be the problem, but it seems like the bad guys are stupid due to the animations, so people complain about the AI.

Hammer24

Banned
Haunted said:
Is there ever a point of no return when working for one of the last two factions?

You should stop playing the China missions at the second to last, then do all the AN missions ´till the second to last. Finish the game with the last mission of either side that you prefer. There is no going back afterwards.

ram

Hammer24 said:
You should stop playing the China missions at the second to last, then do all the AN missions ´till the second to last. Finish the game with the last mission of either side that you prefer. There is no going back afterwards.

really? the second mission for peng ist really annoying (destroy bridge and up headquarters).

mileS

Why the fuck does your character have to say something EVERY FUCKING TIME you pick up ammo... I'm hardly 30min into the game and i'm already sick of it.

whoever thought that would be a cool idea needs to be fired.

eshwaaz

mileS said:
Why the fuck does your character have to say something EVERY FUCKING TIME you pick up ammo... I'm hardly 30min into the game and i'm already sick of it.

I'm having a good amount of fun with the game, but the repetitive voice samples are incredibly annoying. It's one of the many issues that I just cannot believe were not addressed before release. Honestly - no one at Pandemic thought that this might get a tad irritating?

mileS said:

They fucked up on that alright, but weirdly enough it actually stops after a while. Once I got past a few early missions I didn't hear it again. Was driving me batty for a while there though.

Alright well I'm back on track to blow shit up in Mercs 2. Got this and intended to finish it but got sucked into Infinite Undiscovery. Now that I completed that, few questions for Mercs 2.

How long does the game last on average? Any super tips or hints? I am only shortly past the "protect the church" level.

Thanks guys. :D

NullPointer said:
They fucked up on that alright, but weirdly enough it actually stops after a while. Once I got past a few early missions I didn't hear it again. Was driving me batty for a while there though.

yeah, I was about to say, I haven't noticed it for a while. I thought that I just tuned it out, but I guess it must have stopped.

The other day I played the first bunker buster mission, and I jacked a tank so I could take out all the towers, etc. I finally call in the bunker buster, and I'm standing so I can see the bunker, but I'm just far enough away so I don't get hurt. Well, the bunker blows, and I get to watch it. But then about a second later, something behind me (I guess there were a few buildings left) blows up and sends me flying forward! All of a sudden there are explosions in ever direction, and I'm down to the infamous 2 points of health. Thank God those 2 points are worth the other 98, because that's definitely the only thing that saved me.. :lol

Aeon712 said:
Am I missing something, I'm like 22% complete and I still don't have a a jet pilot or mechanic >_<.

You have to go out and find them yourself. Talk to the chopper pilot and he'll put a marker on your map where the mechanic is. Do the same with the mechanic after you get her and you get the jet pilot.

Haunted

Hammer24 said:
Alright, thanks!

Wait, how do I tell which one is the second to last mission? Just give me a name or something. :p

Teknoman

notjackbauer said:
you should set your multiplayer preferences to allow "anyone" to join. someone will probly pop in while you're playing.

Might do that then. Either that or start bugging some of you guys when im online.
Xbox 360 version.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
I'm starting to get a little tired of the game. The HVT missions really are too easy most (if not all of the time) and the outpost missions, while more fun, come less frequently.

I agree, the game is best when you've got to tackle a massive fortified base and bombing the crap out of everything and running for sweet life, but there's just too much bullshit (which you have to do if you want to unlock anything) on the side that you've got to complete.

Maybe I need to do co-op or something. That might invigorate me.

chespace said:
I'm starting to get a little tired of the game. The HVT missions really are too easy most (if not all of the time) and the outpost missions, while more fun, come less frequently.

I agree, the game is best when you've got to tackle a massive fortified base and bombing the crap out of everything and running for sweet life, but there's just too much bullshit (which you have to do if you want to unlock anything) on the side that you've got to complete.

Maybe I need to do co-op or something. That might invigorate me.

Do some more Coop or just play in small bursts like I do

Mercs1 was the same way... you could easily burn yourself out on it if you were doing marathon sessions

Zenith

Banned
NullPointer said:

that's probably a bug. sometimes non-mission critical dialogue would crap out on me.

Am I missing something, I'm like 22% complete and I still don't have a a jet pilot or mechanic >_<.

the % completion is always inaccurate in this game. you can pick up a jet pilot and mechanic at the very beginning.

Huggy

I love how an ally greets you every 5 seconds when you jack a car he's being a gunner in.
"Hey!" "Hey!" "It's Chris Jacobs!" "Hey!" "It's the guy who got shot in the ass by Solano!"

And anyone who thinks he or she can come up with a few suggestions after I get lost or something, should be shot.

Mesijs

So, I'm now at the mission (+/- 30 contracts in) where I
have to blow the shit out of Universal Petroleum! Anybody got any hints? I just get riddled with bullets all the time. Also there seems to be some overwhelming air force at the bridge. I get killed within seconds without being able to do anything.

I'm enjoying the game a bit more since
China and the AN came in, it gaves more of a war-feeling to the whole thing and the contracts get crazier and crazier.

Huggy

Yesterday I lost my ability to zoom in. Not with binoculars, snipers, or anything. It was kind of funny, changing the depth of view with my controller.
Anyway I saved, continued today and I still can't zoom in >_<

How the hell can an end user be able to save the behavior of a gameplay mechanic in a file anyway? Maybe if I clear the cache..

Haunted

Mesijs said:
So, I'm now at the mission (+/- 30 contracts in) where I
have to blow the shit out of Universal Petroleum! Anybody got any hints? I just get riddled with bullets all the time. Also there seems to be some overwhelming air force at the bridge. I get killed within seconds without being able to do anything.

I'm enjoying the game a bit more since
China and the AN came in, it gaves more of a war-feeling to the whole thing and the contracts get crazier and crazier.
Sneak onto the bridge with a UP or AN tank and destroythe SAMs and JAMs - then either combat the helis with an air combat patrol airstrike, or hijack one yourself and bomb the fuck out of that bridge, it's three parts but they don't take that many rockets to blow up.

The outpost and HQ itself are easy pickings with a decent heli (Warsong or Anaconda), as there's little to no air defence - I needed to order another one because I ran out of ammo midway through, though.

raYne

Huggy said:
Yesterday I lost my ability to zoom in. Not with binoculars, snipers, or anything. It was kind of funny, changing the depth of view with my controller.

How the hell can an end user be able to save the behavior of a gameplay mechanic in a file anyway? Maybe if I clear the cache..
Had the same thing happen to me a few times on my second file. The fix for that is to do something that loads the game. ie enter an outpost shop, start a mission, PMC, medivac, death, whatever.

Dunno why you save during it though. Saving while in the midst of a bug would be the furthest thing from my mind.

EekTheKat

I'm having fun with the game, but urgh...the bugs are trying their best to kill whatever enjoyment I get out of it.

I just finished the game a while ago with Matthias just running through and blowing up everything, and now I'm trying to finish the game with a sniper/pistol kit, but I've bumped into an animation bug where Mui would start holding the sniper rifle one handed like a pistol.

It's purely cosmetic, but it's stuff like that that makes this game seem so unpolished/unfinished.

Hammer24

Banned
Haunted said:
Wait, how do I tell which one is the second to last mission? Just give me a name or something. :p

The last mission is basically the same for China and AN, just China wants you to destroy something, while the AN... not so much. When you are offered this mission, you´ll know... ;)

Proc

Just tried the PC version. Maxed it out at 1920x1080, with 2x aa, without a hitch on my 8800gts/4gig/quad core rig. I love the fact that I can just plug in my xbox360 controller and it detects it within the control settings. Max chill on my futon makes me feel even better about playing it on pc. This game is pretty fun so far. Very easy, mindless fun. Good times.

Woo-Fu

Banned
ram said:
really? the second mission for peng ist really annoying (destroy bridge and up headquarters).

That mission is fairly trivial. I took out the bridge and headquarters with attack copters and carpet bombed the UPC depot. The bridge in particular was super easy. Blow a section of the bridge with rockets, you'll get nailed right after by multiple SAMS and at least 1 enemy copter will harass you in the water. Grapple and take that copter, voila full set of rockets again to use on the next span, rinse and repeat.

The one before it took me more tries, getting that guy off the top of the skyscraper in one piece.

zaidr

Haunted said:
edit: and Matthias' 'suit' costume is awesome = his flattened mohawk looks hilarious. :lol

I don't know if its already been mentioned, but how do you change clothing? I guess you have to unlock it somehow...?

Oh, and I always thought you could pick from any of the three mercenaries even after you start playing...is that wrong? Once i've picked Matthias, I can't go back and choose another one unless I restart the game?

Zenith

Banned
Huggy said:

I lost the ability to have secondary weapons. no grenades or C4, like they're not even in the game.

Hammer24

Banned
zaidr said:
I don't know if its already been mentioned, but how do you change clothing? I guess you have to unlock it somehow...?

Either you´ve got a (pre-order) code, or you have to unlock them by doing the weapon challenges. Every lvl3 challenge mastered gives you one costume. Go into the PMC to your room, there you can change it then.

Once i've picked Matthias, I can't go back and choose another one unless I restart the game?

Yes.

Sectus

McBacon said:
Hazard pay? Man, I should get humidity pay!
To be fair, I actually giggled a little bit when I heard that.

The worst joke is definitely: "That's one U.P. V.I.P. D.E.L.I.V.E.R.E.D."

*shudders*

Mesijs

Woo-Fu said:
That mission is fairly trivial. I took out the bridge and headquarters with attack copters and carpet bombed the UPC depot. The bridge in particular was super easy. Blow a section of the bridge with rockets, you'll get nailed right after by multiple SAMS and at least 1 enemy copter will harass you in the water. Grapple and take that copter, voila full set of rockets again to use on the next span, rinse and repeat.

The one before it took me more tries, getting that guy off the top of the skyscraper in one piece.

I grabbed a heli, took the guy and flew back. :lol Didn't do the secondary stuff.

The problem with the bridge mission is that when you drop into the water you almost have no health and get shot immediately by the choppers.

I wrote my review for Gamer.nl by the way (also appears on metacritic) and gave it a 6. I did enjoy quite some of the game but I think there is so much room for improvement that a higher score is not justified. We're always kind of strict anyway at Gamer.nl. A 6 isn't a bad score at all, but it should have improved a lot of aspects to score any higher. If anyone is interested in anyway, I can post a short English summary.

Top Bottom