• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Mercenaries 2: World in Flames Thread

itxaka

Defeatist
okay. I just won the "wheels of steel" achievement. "You came in first during a co-op race"
And "Partners in crime" . "You experienced co-op"

Thing is, my xbox is not being connected to the internet since 6 months ago.

Also, in the last mission
instead of getting the normal camera for the QTE I got a fixed camera inside the copter, so I didn't saw anything of the final scene. Is the copter suppouse to leave the hanger? Becasue mine didn't

Also, after you complete the game, are you able to keep playing with that 100% save? because mine just sent me to the menu and my saves are as I left them, 95%

:lol :lol

raYne

itxaka said:
okay. I just won the "wheels of steel" achievement. "You came in first during a co-op race"
And "Partners in crime" . "You experienced co-op"

Thing is, my xbox is not being connected to the internet since 6 months ago.

instead of getting the normal camera for the QTE I got a fixed camera inside the copter, so I didn't saw anything of the final scene. Is the copter suppouse to leave the hanger? Becasue mine didn't

Also, after you complete the game, are you able to keep playing with that 100% save? because mine just sent me to the menu and my saves are as I left them, 95%

:lol :lol
Nah, the chopper never leaves the hanger. I've done it twice and never had the camera get hung up though. *shrug*

Yes, you can keep playing the same save file but you can't go back to the area
(Allied or Chinese HQ depending on which side you chose) that the nuke was set off in.
So if you missed anything in there (HVT/target building/spare part etc) you won't be able to do them.

itxaka

Defeatist
raYne said:
Nah, the chopper never leaves the hanger. I've done it twice and never had the camera get hung up though. *shrug*

Yes, you can keep playing the same save file but you can't go back to the area
(Allied or Chinese HQ depending on which side you chose) that the nuke was set off in.
So if you missed anything in there (HVT/target building/spare part etc) you won't be able to do them.

ugh, then my game glitched as my saves are at 95% and the auto save it's the same :(

Oh, also got the Aces High achievement, Captured all HVT. Even when I killed them all :lol
Bad thing is, I didn't get the other one, the "you verified all HVT"

Also, I only got the "tatooed millionarie" at the end of the game, with 130+ million.

I gotta reload the game and try to finish it again to see if it spams more achievements :D

raYne

Were your system hooked up to the 'net the game would've been patched long ago and you wouldn't have these "problems". ;)

Still, I'm not even sure why you'd care about getting achievements for that very reason. Heh.

DuckRacer

http://xboxlive.ign.com/articles/909/909725p1.html?RSSwhen2008-09-12_105600&RSSid=909725
September 12, 2008 - Coming to Xbox Live today, Friday September 12th and to the PlayStation Network next week Thursday, September 18th, the Mercenaries 2: World in Flames free demo lets players have a playable sneak preview of the final product.

Players can play an objective from one of the missions, and while they are limited to a relatively small section of the world, there's enough there for players to get a feel for the sandbox nature of the game.

Additionally, we give players a customized loadout of awesome vehicles and airstrikes, so that players can get a taste of the toys and destruction that combine to make Mercenaries 2 the premier explosive action game of the summer!

For more information on Mercenaries 2: World in Flames please visit www.mercs2.com.

itxaka

Defeatist
raYne said:
Were your system hooked up to the 'net the game would've been patched long ago and you wouldn't have these "problems". ;)

Still, I'm not even sure why you'd care about getting achievements for that very reason. Heh.

But it will be half as funny as it's now :lol

And I don't care, just a funny thign to have co-op achievements without net xD

God. Fucking. Dammit.

3 times now I've flown in, killed people, and pointed the nuclear bunker buster at Solano's bunker, and 3 times now it's said "WRONG TARGET MISSION FAILED." Bullshit. The laser was pointed directly at the bunker every time.

Gah, this is frustrating >_<

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Peronthious said:
God. Fucking. Dammit.

3 times now I've flown in, killed people, and pointed the nuclear bunker buster at Solano's bunker, and 3 times now it's said "WRONG TARGET MISSION FAILED." Bullshit. The laser was pointed directly at the bunker every time.

You really suck at this game don't you?

It's ok. Some have it and some don't. :lol

Shaheed79 said:
You really suck at this game don't you?

It's ok. Some have it and some don't. :lol

I'd hardly say a bug is sucking, but if you look at it that way that's fine. I just find it a bit stupid that in a sandbox game, you have to lock on the nuke from in front of the bunker and can't, say, fly on top and lock it on there or something like that.
also, it's been stated before, but the QTE ending is quite shit

Managed to get it finished up, and...well, a bit underwhelming. Mercenaries 1 was definitely the superior game. The Co-op is nice, and being able to just go around and blow everything up is always fun, but the actual story and mission structure did not seem as well put together as in the first mercenaries. There, you had those 52 cards layed out in advance, and knew you had to kill/kidnap those people; on top of that, there were missions you had to do to get information on each of those 52 enemies, making it seem like quite a large game. In 2, the "story" is just a small part, with most of the game made up of the HVTs, building destruction, etc. Not a bad game, and good for what it is, but as Levine said in the latest GWJ podcast, it needed a few more months in the cooker (regardless of how long it had already spent in there).

comrade

Peronthious said:
God. Fucking. Dammit.

Happened to me twice in a row. Once I landed on top and aimed it straight down then took off in a helicopter and the bomb landed high on the hill above. Second time I did it from ground level right in front of the place and it still landed high up on the mountain. 3rd time from the same spot on the ground it finally worked.

And holy hell at the
qte ending sequence
. Most unimaginative way to end a game I think.

eshwaaz

Well, I beat it last night, and the game took one last parting shot at me - I didn't get the achievement for finishing the game. I loaded up my last save, and beat it again - still nothing.

I had a lot of fun with Mercenaries 2, but man this game is sloppy as hell. It's a real shame, because it could have been a genuinely great game. Similar flaws would have destroyed a lesser game; I suppose it speaks volumes that I stuck with it and had a great time in spite of all the issues.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
itxaka said:

This happened to me last night. We played the last section and 3 out of 4 times, the camera got all crazy and we couldn't see anything.

I think that last part was one of the worst fights ever in a game, period. I'm not trying to be hyperbolic here, but what... we flew in and we had to fight 1 tank and 1 helicopter then do a QTE?! That's IT?! Missions from very early in the game were FAR harder than that! God this game pisses me off so much sometimes.

Woo-Fu

Banned
I played the PC version. The game has a lot of warts but still manages to be quite fun. Lots of interesting vehicles, everything destructible, and over the top explosions were enough to make me play through the game.

I sorta wish those parts crates showed up on radar as there are 7-8 vehicles from the mechanic that I never got to see, much less use. I won't use a FAQ for stuff like that.

raYne

El_TigroX said:
This happened to me last night. We played the last section and 3 out of 4 times, the camera got all crazy and we couldn't see anything.

I think that last part was one of the worst fights ever in a game, period. I'm not trying to be hyperbolic here, but what... we flew in and we had to fight 1 tank and 1 helicopter then do a QTE?! That's IT?! Missions from very early in the game were FAR harder than that! God this game pisses me off so much sometimes.
The QTE is shit, but if you did it the "proper" way, you'd have to head up the mountain on foot, tank or whatever and fight a crap-load of troops, tanks etc. Having a variety of ways to do a mission is part of what makes a sandbox game a sandbox game.

That said, I hope you're exaggerating because the time I did the mission with a chopper, there were anti-air troops on the top of the bunker, the tank, a lot of normal and rocket troops hiding around the tent and in the jungle and 2-3 attack choppers.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
raYne said:
The QTE is shit, but if you did it the "proper" way, you'd have to head up the mountain on foot, tank or whatever and fight a crap-load of troops, tanks etc. Having a variety of ways to do a mission is part of what makes a sandbox game a sandbox game.

That said, I hope you're exaggerating because the time I did the mission with a chopper, there were anti-air troops on the top of the bunker, the tank, a lot of normal and rocket troops hiding around the tent and in the jungle and 2-3 attack choppers.

I wish I WERE exaggerating! We did it 3-4 times, each time... maybe 3-4 dudes on the ground, 1 tank, 1 helicopter... that's it.

I think it's hilarious that going up the mountain was hard... I didn't even think of that as an option, just jumped in the helicopter and flew right to the bunker.

raYne

El_TigroX said:
I wish I WERE exaggerating! We did it 3-4 times, each time... maybe 3-4 dudes on the ground, 1 tank, 1 helicopter... that's it.

I think it's hilarious that going up the mountain was hard... I didn't even think of that as an option, just jumped in the helicopter and flew right to the bunker.
If it's so easy, why'd you do it 3-4 times? Joking. :p

Going the normal route isn't exactly "hard". As you should know since you've obviously been playing the game. But it's a whole lot more involving than skipping 98% of the fight and flying up to the end. :lol

Hell, you even missed when he blows up the bridges under your feet with artillery fire. :/

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
raYne said:
If it's so easy, why'd you do it 3-4 times? Joking. :p

Going the normal route isn't exactly "hard". As you should know since you've obviously been playing the game. But it's a whole lot more involving than skipping 98% of the fight and flying up to the end. :lol

Hell, you even missed when he blows up the bridges under your feet with artillery fire. :/

I had to do it 3-4 times because
the camera got wonky during the QTE and I couldn't see anything but the side of the helicopter, and the buttons didn't come up = insta death. :(

Luckily we need to beat it on my friends game too... so I'll try it that way too. I wish the game was smarter and saw that you were "cheating" around it... then it would set off crazy helicopters or other stuff.

eshwaaz said:
Well, I beat it last night, and the game took one last parting shot at me - I didn't get the achievement for finishing the game. I loaded up my last save, and beat it again - still nothing.

This game would do that... sorry man, that sucks.

neoism

A guys, Is the time clock in this game glitched or something it says I've played for 70 hours I'm pretty sure that's wrong.

To check go to options in the main menu and go the manage saves. It tells you total time played. Just wondering!?

pr0cs

I think the game is bugged for me. It says I have 2 HVTs to do, 1 for allies and 1 for PMC and I'm not sure how.. unless it's expecting you to do the pick sides mission and the final mission to get the HVT.. is that it?

Hammer24

Banned
For all the guys with glitched achievements try this:
Manually disconnect your ethernet cable from your 360. Boot up Mercs2. Load last save. When asked to proceed without being connected to the EA Servers click "yes". As soon as the Game finished loading, your missing achievements will all pop up (it seems to be a glitch with the EA servers). Reconnect your ethernet cable - done.

I really liked the demo. It's easier to aim than in the first game and much easier to hijack helicopters. Driving a tank up a parking garage was great too.

raYne

pr0cs said:
I think the game is bugged for me. It says I have 2 HVTs to do, 1 for allies and 1 for PMC and I'm not sure how.. unless it's expecting you to do the pick sides mission and the final mission to get the HVT.. is that it?
You'll never get all of them as the side you choose at the end will have a person remaining. But it really doesn't matter because the 2 you're missing is one of those and Solano.

Althane

Amir0x said:
I LOVE Mercenaries but all the negativity surrounding the sequel made me stay away.

Will download the demo.

I'm really not sure why the negativity is there. It's a ton of fun to just go around and blow stuff up, and half the time you get paid whenever you kill someone anyways. Much better than GTA.

Probably because people will find anything to bitch about given any situation.

Though, I had an ... INTERESTING bug.

The console got reset in the middle of a playthrough, and when it started back up, I had about 500 more gamerpoints. Turns out that most of the co op acheivments were activated, as well as the billion dollar one and such. THAT was funkeh.

Mesijs

NullPointer said:
I'd love to see it.

So, here is the review, in Dutch. It's two pages, with a 6 as the score.

"Since the original Mercenaries was released, a lot of free-roaming games came out that improved the genre. Mercs2 doesn't, because it's almost an exact copy of Mercs1.

Destruction is everything, but its the only the one special thing of the game. Step up from for example GTA3 to Vice City is bigger than Mercs1 to Mercs2, and that's with a gen change and three and a half years difference.

At it's time Mercs1 was good, but for modern day standards it isn't: endlessly respawning braindead enemies, unbalanced battles (bashing everybody dead or spending a whole clip on someone; getting killed immediately by a lost rocket), bad checkpoint placement.

Car handling and selecting drops/air attacks is irritating. Pandemic didn't have a philosophy for this game and copy-pasted everything of part one.

The few 'new' things aren't really new or extremely small. A lot could have been improved but isn't.

Apart from destruction, online co-op is the great new thing.

Graphics aren't that detailed but that's ok as the world is totally destructable.

Review has a lot of criticism, but nuance is needed. Everything can be destroyed, also in co-op. And the collector's can spend quite some time with it as well. Later on in the game you get a more 'war-like' feeling, which is good for the game. But it has too many shortcomings for a good score.

Conclusion: Mercs2 offers a big, destructable Venezuela as a digital playground. De great level of destruction and the online co-op are THE things of the game. Sadly, everything else is an exact copy of de three and a half years old Mercs1, with all flaws included, and that's something that's not accepted nowadays. If Pandemic would have evoluted the game with the new gen of consoles, we could have had a great game. Now it's just a 6.

+
Total destructability of the playing world
Online co-op
Lots to do for collectors

-
Ancient game design
Unbalanced difficulty
No evolution compared to Mercs1

Score
6"

Well, that's it! Fresh on Metacritic!

Darklord

Banned
Ok, how the hell do you load a saved game? I can only continue the most recent save...but that save is the one right from the start of the game, it has the times screwed up. :x

I can't see a load game anywhere or a delete save file. Is there either?

Edit: I just found how. Who the hell hides away the load save option? God.

Darklord

Banned
Zenith said:
it's hard to believe how much effort the devs went through to try and make blowing stuff up not fun.

Blowing up stuff is the best thing about this game.

I used the bunker buster just before for the first time and aimed it too close. It hit with a massive explosion and my guy was throw back into a collapsed house. Fun times.

I wish it had local co-op though. :\

Darkpen

Banned
So... um...

I just downloaded the demo (jesus, 1gig), and... I'm not too pleased with it.

The controls feel clunky, the hud is cluttered, I don't know what the fuck my objectives are, or how to perform them. There are a shit load of enemies everywhere, and after I died and hit retry, during the middle of the gameplay, I'm hit with a fucking video reel of gameplay, like it was a fucking timed demo at Blockbuster or something :mad:

What the fuck. I'm sorry, I never played the first Mercenaries, so maybe I'm missing something here, but even with the run button, and the helicoptor grappling, this was not fun at all.

I don't know if the difficulty was too high for me or something (even as a demo), or what, but that's one cluttered game. I can see where someone who gets a hang of the gameplay could do some really awesome and crazy stuff, but as a demo, that was utterly disappointing. The video reel just kicking in right in the middle of the demo was the worst part. I just stopped there.

The way the helicopter controlled was really weird, as well. I don't know if its because I got so used to how you control helicoptors in BF:BC or something, but the demo was a complete information overload, with text all over the screen that disappears too quickly, and objectives, and some fucking people talk, and I don't know the fuck what.

Fuck this demo, and fuck this game.

jett

D-Member
Yeah after playing the demo...I'm not liking it too much. It actually feels very different from Mercenaries, there's somethign really weird and unnatural about the controls compared to M1...and there's something SERIOUSLY fucked up with the sound design in this game.

Top Bottom