• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Mercenaries 2: World in Flames Thread

Chichikov

AgentOtaku said:
Anyone have a link to what the extra outfits look like?

...I really wanna see if it's even worth the time or patience =/
I assume the worst about GAFers, so I'm going to guess this answer your question -
2mgmg0l.jpg

p.s.
Do them in co-op, they are super easy that way, no time or patience required.

Chichikov said:
I assume the worst about GAFers, so I'm going to guess this answer your question -
[IMG/]http://i35.tinypic.com/2mgmg0l.jpg[/IMG]

p.s.
Do them in co-op, they are super easy that way, no time or patience required.

You can only get them by doing Fiona's challenges, right? If you do them in co-op do you both get the outfits?

OK, let me disclaim this by saying that I got this game on a discount, so I'm not going to say "TOTALLY WORTH THE MONEY I PAID FOR" or bullshit like that.

I will say this much, I haven't had this much fun since Ikari Warriors/Contra playing co-op. Just got it on Monday the 8th, and got into a game with Lonestar and holy crap. Blowing shit up, capturing HVTs, making money, C4ing buildings AND each other. The explosions are as massive as advertised.

Of course, there are issues that the lot of you have mentioned. Pop-in of GTA III proportions (see mine driving course), cheesy facial animations, driving for most vehicles isn't all that great, and the chopper moves a bit too slow. And the GPS freaks out in certain areas.

Sure, the game could have used even more time (although it was delayed so many times I don't think it would have helped) but I think it's pretty promising for the next installment.

WasabiKing said:
OK, let me disclaim this by saying that I got this game on a discount, so I'm not going to say "TOTALLY WORTH THE MONEY I PAID FOR" or bullshit like that.

I will say this much, I haven't had this much fun since Ikari Warriors/Contra playing co-op. Just got it on Monday the 8th, and got into a game with Lonestar and holy crap. Blowing shit up, capturing HVTs, making money, C4ing buildings AND each other. The explosions are as massive as advertised.

Of course, there are issues that the lot of you have mentioned. Pop-in of GTA III proportions (see mine driving course), cheesy facial animations, driving for most vehicles isn't all that great, and the chopper moves a bit too slow. And the GPS freaks out in certain areas.

Sure, the game could have used even more time (although it was delayed so many times I don't think it would have helped) but I think it's pretty promising for the next installment.

dam straight

Played coop for 2 hours last night with a coworker....blissful! :D

Mesijs

I think the lack of checkpoints is irritating. I want to do a mission as good as possible with all the side stuff and when I take risks I have to do everything over again. They should make more checkpoints or don't let you do the objectives again. It works kinda demotivating.

Now first have to get some oil to get the airstrikes popping...

MacBosse

painey said:
FINALLY beat the church mission on my 11th attempt, the church had 1 bar left, and i was lucky because for some reason the two enemy tanks were messed up, clipping each other and unable to shoot.. phew

Hmmm ... are we talking about the mission were you blow three (or more) buildings to flush out a dude but then he directs all his troops to the destroy the PLAV church?

If so, I must be the luckiest gamer alive cause I just killed 'em all and went my merry way to the stadium. Never got challeging.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Is there a way to toss smoke air strikes further than 3 feet? Every time I "throw" one, it generally sticks to the ground right in front of my character.

I tried sticking an artillery one on a jeep, getting in the jeep, gunning it forward then jumping off with the beacon attached. There just wasn't enough of a delay between my sticking it on the jeep, accelerating, then bailing off before the arty fell right on my head.

Any other suggestions?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
MacBosse said:
Hmmm ... are we talking about the mission were you blow three (or more) buildings to flush out a dude but then he directs all his troops to the destroy the PLAV church?

If so, I must be the luckiest gamer alive cause I just killed 'em all and went my merry way to the stadium. Never got challeging.

Also, having 2-3 anti-tank air strikes makes this mission a total breeze. Just wait until the wave of 5 tanks shows up and drop one of those badboys, and they're all toast.

DuckRacer

FlyinJ said:
Is there a way to toss smoke air strikes further than 3 feet? Every time I "throw" one, it generally sticks to the ground right in front of my character.

I tried sticking an artillery one on a jeep, getting in the jeep, gunning it forward then jumping off with the beacon attached. There just wasn't enough of a delay between my sticking it on the jeep, accelerating, then bailing off before the arty fell right on my head.

Any other suggestions?
All you can do is toss the smoke/beacon and run like hell, really.

Chichikov

notjackbauer said:
If you do them in co-op do you both get the outfits?
No.
The person hosting the game get them, they're tied to his save game.
But they're super easy in co-op so doing them twice is not a big deal.

FlyinJ said:

You can arc the throw pretty high. I've tossed airstrikes over very high walls, and quite a good distance out in front of me. Just look up at very high angle, then toss. One thing I do wish for is that you could toss smoke while jumping, that would help a lot.

Chichikov said:
No.
The person hosting the game get them, they're tied to his save game.
But they're super easy in co-op so doing them twice is not a big deal.

good to know...will be doing this in the future then with coworker of mine

My buddy and I are trying to join each others' game now- what's with this "game is not available" bullshit? are other people having this problem? Is there any quick fix for this or is this just another bug we have to put up with till they get a fucking patch online?

Cobra84

I'm really disappointed by the missions, most are a huge step down from Mercs 1 in quality, destruction, and immersion. Most of the game seems to be made up of lame challenges or easy, repetitive outpost captures and what regular missions that are there aren't even memorable. I've done all of the missions but a few of the Chinese ones and I don't remember any on them. I felt like a one man army in Mercs 1, now I'm some goon hired by some Jamaicans to be the Miller High-Life guy (fuck the helicopters in that awful rum mission).

Haunted

WasabiKing said:

*co-signs*

Best sandbox game of the year so far.

LiK

this game could've been more polished but it's a lot of fun. i'm having trouble with one mission. it's brutal when you die and you have to run back to the part where you can continue the mission. argh.

Althane

NullPointer said:
Name me another seamless open-world game where everything is kaboomable that looks as good if not better.

Agreed!

I mean, hell, I just went and took a city down to the ground. BECAUSE I CAN!

And it looked good (Not great, but decidedly NOT bitchable) while I did so!

Althane said:
Agreed!

I mean, hell, I just went and took a city down to the ground. BECAUSE I CAN!

And it looked good (Not great, but decidedly NOT bitchable) while I did so!

I think people see the shanty towns in the beginning of the game, do a few of the first simplistic missions, and think the entire game is like that.

All I know is that the Fortress Island mission was awesome. It was followed up by further awesomeness :p

I just now finally dropped the UP headquarters. That thing has been begging me to blow it up ever since I first started.

It was almost magical.

newsguy

BobTheFork said:
I just now finally dropped the UP headquarters. That thing has been begging me to blow it up ever since I first started.

It was almost magical.

HAHA I did the same in co-op. We were flying across it and I told the guy I wanted to take it down. I used one of those rocket artillery strikes you get from a mission and watched the thing dissolve.

Althane

I ditched an Artillery Beacon onto it.

Then proceeded to kill everybody around with shells flying from the sky.

=D

My one regret is that you can't activate and drop stuff (C4, Grenades, ect) from a helicopter door.

That'd be awesome.

Althane said:
My one regret is that you can't activate and drop stuff (C4, Grenades, ect) from a helicopter door.

That'd be awesome.

Hell yes.

In a perfect world Pandemic would support this game with DLC along the lines of Crackdown.

- Vehicles parked/landed at PMC headquarters should stay between gaming sessions.
- New game+ mode.
- Allow firing from vehicles for passengers at least.
- Allow movement when holding beacons and support smoke.
- Increase stealth and movement speed when crouched.
- Allow cash to be spent to upgrade air-strikes, from say, smoke and beacons, to satellite and laser guided versions.
- Allow a player to "save" their current kit or more as "Player Favorites" loadouts.
- Add a zoom mode to vehicle mounted weapons.
- Add co-op competitive missions. Something along the lines of Mafia Work mode in GTA4 and I'd never leave the house :p
- Allow enemy PCs to be passengers in faction vehicles without automatically blowing your disguise.
- Remote control drones/vehicles. Oh the possibilities.

Hell, I could go on for days. C'mon Pandemic - there is still a ton that could be done with this game.

DuckRacer

Honestly, having completed the game, my only real disappointment (there's others, but I didn't come into this game with high expectations) is the nuke's blast radius. When I set the laser to a building, I want that building and the 12 buildings around it to be destroyed, not just the one building the bomb hits. And the mushroom cloud dissipating within 15 seconds is really lame as well. Other than the initial big explosion, there's really no reason to use it instead of, say, a regular laser-designated bomb.

I'd also wish there would be infinite oil and ammo cheats after you beat the game as well. There's really no reason why they shouldn't be there.

Otherwise, it's a good, fun game. I'd give it a 7, if only because everything except the core component (destruction in a huge world) is completely lame. But whatever, it was a fun rental.

Althane

NullPointer said:
Hell yes.

In a perfect world Pandemic would support this game with DLC along the lines of Crackdown.

- Vehicles parked/landed at PMC headquarters should stay between gaming sessions.
- New game+ mode.
- Allow firing from vehicles for passengers at least.
- Allow movement when holding beacons and support smoke.
- Increase stealth and movement speed when crouched.
- Allow cash to be spent to upgrade air-strikes, from say, smoke and beacons, to satellite and laser guided versions.
- Allow a player to "save" their current kit or more as "Player Favorites" loadouts.
- Add a zoom mode to vehicle mounted weapons.
- Add co-op competitive missions. Something along the lines of Mafia Work mode in GTA4 and I'd never leave the house :p
- Allow enemy PCs to be passengers in faction vehicles without automatically blowing your disguise.
- Remote control drones/vehicles. Oh the possibilities.

Hell, I could go on for days. C'mon Pandemic - there is still a ton that could be done with this game.

The main thing I'm complaining about is the inability to hijack vehicles, then get them back later. I WANT THOSE 99 SPORTS BIKES I STOLE!

The Player Favorites seems like a brilliant thing though.

Ephemeris

MacBosse said:

Ditto. :lol

Hammer24

Banned
Made the chruch mission with Gowans, still took us several tries - mainly because somehow we always ended up killing our own guys, and for some reason they didn´t like that... :D
BTW, cliff jumping with tanks is funny, just like the glitches. Once I captured a tank, and got invisible. Gowans had to look for the "drive the tank" signs to jump in too...
If you can look past the glitches, its a very fun game.

News Bot

Banned
Does anyone else just love flying off a mountain in the race car at full speed? I swear it feels like my heart is going to leap out of my mouth.

Flunkie

Banned
News Bot said:
Does anyone else just love flying off a mountain in the race car at full speed? I swear it feels like my heart is going to leap out of my mouth.
It's even better on a small dirt bike or the sports bike. :lol

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
JB1981 said:
It's so ugly on the triple. Is it this ugly on the 360?
Oh, come on, it's not that ugly. It's rough, sure, but there are certainly moments where it looks nice. That said, it looks no better on the 360. Well, it does seem that the 360 version uses 2x AA while the PS3 version uses none, but there are no additional differences and that tiny bit of AA doesn't make a huge difference as that's not why it looks as it does. The 360 version has more streaming issues, though, from what I could tell.

Of course, there are issues that the lot of you have mentioned. Pop-in of GTA III proportions (see mine driving course)
Important note: the pop-in is significantly worse while playing online CO-OP. I started by playing quite a bit of single player initially and was quite surprised by the insane amount of pop-in that appears when you switch to CO-OP mode.

Mr. Durden said:
Red Faction. Looks better and destruction is way better.

I really hope your talking about Red Faction2...

dark10x said:
Important note: the pop-in is significantly worse while playing online CO-OP. I started by playing quite a bit of single player initially and was quite surprised by the insane amount of pop-in that appears when you switch to CO-OP mode.

this

bee

whats the score with the online co-op on the pc version?

is there a lobby or something and you can just join other people? if you start playing single player can people just join your game as your playing? is there many people playing?

i've heard its buggy as shit but co-op makes practically any game a lot of fun so i'd be willing to give the game a shot if i knew a little bit more about the online stuff

Zenith

Banned
Can someone with the PC version go to Mercs.config and tell me what value "ShaderLevel" is at when you have shaders switched to high?

Top Bottom