• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Mercenaries 2: World in Flames Thread

raYne said:
I'm not even sure why he asked, considering how many stores (big chains included) have been posted in the thread that have been selling the game early.

It's obvious that the 31st is the street date and the game has been shipped already.

I know I know....was still skeptical and thought it might be the ship date

Mrbob

My copy from Gamerang (PS3) shipped today. Their shipping center is in Minnesota, and I'm only one state over so I'm crossing my fingers I get it tommorrow.

Kingpen

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Check in with a local GameStop last night to grab this if it was available, but no luck. Reading these impressions just make it sound more disappointing though. Not sure I'm going to rush out and get it on Sunday like I had planned. Just too many good games on the horizon to pay $60 for a half-baked experience. Reviews are going to sway my decision I think.

You probably thought the same thing before you picked up Too Human as well from what everyone was saying. I know I did, and that is a bad ass game. Mercs 1 didn't light the world on fire with reviews, but it was plain fun. Mercs 2 looks to be more of the same. 2 more days

Kingpen said:
You probably thought the same thing before you picked up Too Human as well from what everyone was saying. I know I did, and that is a bad ass game. Mercs 1 didn't light the world on fire with reviews, but it was plain fun. Mercs 2 looks to be more of the same. 2 more days

Very true, and that's been in the back of my head while I've been reading these posts. Mercs 1 was one of my favorite games last gen, so perhaps I had too high of hopes for this one. I'm still leaning towards picking this up on Sunday, and I'll probably have a blast with it regardless.

Mrbob

Mercenaries scored 85 percent on PS2 and 86 percent on Xbox. It wasn't a low scoring game at all.

In fact, I remember it being the surprise hit when it came out in January years ago. Mercs 2 could possibly be a sophomore slump. I'll find out soon.

Mrbob said:
Mercenaries scored 85 percent on PS2 and 86 percent on Xbox. It wasn't a low scoring game at all.

In fact, I remember it being the surprise hit when it came out in January years ago. Mercs 2 could possibly be a sophomore slump. I'll find out soon.
wouldn't call it a "sophopmore slump" just yet. Lets see what we think after we've had our hands on it

As a Mercs1 on Xbox veteran, expect some heavy impressions from me on Sunday

raYne

Returners said:
to ppl who preordered in canada,

are we getting the extra costumes from the preorder?
The what now?

Are their any online pics of said costumes?

edit:
Nevermind, just saw them.. :lol

14bhyye.jpg

Mattias' is great and Jenn's is passable, but Chris' is ridiculous.

FoeHammer

Returners said:
to ppl who preordered in canada,

are we getting the extra costumes from the preorder?

I got the codes last week and I'm in the US. I haven't really looked at it, but I think it's just alternate costumes for the main characters.

Double D

I just checked the Sears website to see if they had this game available for in store pick up, and they don't (I guess they just don't offer that service). What it did say is that the release date is 8/28, and was in stock for shipping. So, I'll be going by my local Sears after work to see if it's on the shelf. I'll post the results later.

raYne

SuperEnemyCrab said:
No unlockable Han this time I assume? =(
Similar to this, I hope they have unlockable costumes and character skins like in the original.

A few of the deck of 52 and other characters were pretty nice visually.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
canoli2006 said:
Just picked up my copy for 360 in AZ.

That's great. Now, as everyone in the thread has been asking, where exactly?

If anyone else gets this thing early, please tell us exactly where.

Vik_Vaughn said:
I just checked the Sears website to see if they had this game available for in store pick up, and they don't (I guess they just don't offer that service). What it did say is that the release date is 8/28, and was in stock for shipping. So, I'll be going by my local Sears after work to see if it's on the shelf. I'll post the results later.

Sears? Seriously??

Double D

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Sears? Seriously??

Oh yeah. I actually went by Sears the other day just for shiggles and found a pretty sweet electronics/gaming section. I was really just browsing for a smaller TV for my bedroom, and ended up buying a 47" Vizio 1080p LCD new in box for $864.00 out the door. My wife shit a brick when I came home with such a big TV for the bedroom, but what the hell, it looks cool. Moral of the story; Yes, Sears.

Vik_Vaughn said:
Oh yeah. I actually went by Sears the other day just for shiggles and found a pretty sweet electronics/gaming section. I was really just browsing for a smaller TV for my bedroom, and ended up buying a 47" Vizio 1080p LCD new in box for $864.00 out the door. My wife shit a brick when I came home with such a big TV for the bedroom, but what the hell, it looks cool. Moral of the story; Yes, Sears.

Hmm... I haven't been in Sears in years, and didn't know anyone under the age of 50 shopped there. :lol Just kidding of course. Great deal on the TV.

I'm still not shopping at Sears!

raYne said:
The what now?

Are their any online pics of said costumes?

edit:
Nevermind, just saw them.. :lol

14bhyye.jpg

Mattias' is great and Jenn's is passable, but Chris' is ridiculous.

actually...the more I think about it, Chris' outfit is probably the most awesome :lol

Kingpen

I just tried my local Sears and they claimed they didn't have the game yet. Although one woman said she saw a box of new games, but one of them had a 'Do not sell before 8/28' date on it ( so I knew they had them, just didn't have the lack of brains to put them on the shelves yet...

On another note, on Wednesday I tried a ghetto Kmart, and actually talked an employee to go to the back and see if they had it. She came back out with it and I got all excited and then she scanned it into her 1995 era computer, and I got a big FU because it said it was before the sale date.... I was freaking pissed as that Kmart has not renovated shit in it for at least 10 years, yet they have a register that is halfway smart...
The other thing that sucked is the woman was not exactly the sharpest knife in the tool box either...

Oh well, Sunday morning it is then...

raYne

AgentOtaku said:
actually...the more I think about it, Chris' outfit is probably the most awesome :lol
Yeah, ridiculously awesome. :lol

Kingpen said:
On another note, on Wednesday I tried a ghetto Kmart, and actually talked an employee to go to the back and see if they had it. She came back out with it and I got all excited and then she scanned it into her 1995 era computer, and I got a big FU because it said it was before the sale date.... I was freaking pissed as that Kmart has not renovated shit in it for at least 10 years, yet they have a register that is halfway smart...
:lol!

Kingpen said:

Oh well, Sunday morning it is then...

Dude same thing has happened to me. I was like outta all the stores that have computers, your registers are the only ones to pop up such a warning about release dates... HOLY SHIT K-MART!

Then I wonder how K-Mart ever sold games early to begin with. If a sales rep saw that warning and sold it anyways... WOW!

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I was almost able to buy guitar hero 3 about 2.5 weeks before it was released. I saw it on the shelf at Kmart, brought it to the register, and the same thing happened.

I played Chris all the way through Mercs 1. I know that there were some slight differences in game play depending on which character you chose, but nothing major. They each spoke different languages, so if you spoke Chinese, for instance, when chatting with the Chinese general, the game was translated rather than having subtitles. I assume that there are more things like this this time out. Any benefits to playing any of the characters over the others?

raYne

Kung Fu Jedi said:
I played Chris all the way through Mercs 1. I know that there were some slight differences in game play depending on which character you chose, but nothing major. They each spoke different languages, so if you spoke Chinese, for instance, when chatting with the Chinese general, the game was translated rather than having subtitles. I assume that there are more things like this this time out. Any benefits to playing any of the characters over the others?
There was a dev walkthrough where they touched on similar things while completing a mission. Basically Jenn doing the stealth thing, Chris charging in and taking people out personally and Mattias just basically blowing the hell out of everything and leveling buildings.

The weapons used by each character also differed (signature weapons?) and as far as stats goes.
-Chris: Can carry more ammo.
-Mattias: Has more health
-Jenn: Faster.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
raYne said:
There was a dev walkthrough where they touched on similar things while completing a mission. Basically Jenn doing the stealth thing, Chris charging in and taking people out personally and Mattias just basically blowing the hell out of everything and leveling buildings.

The weapons used by each character also differed (signature weapons?) and as far as stats goes.
-Chris: Can carry more ammo.
-Mattias: Has more health
-Jenn: Faster.

They basically had this last game and I'm almost 100% sure that Jenn was the same speed :lol

raYne

Hazaro said:
They basically had this last game and I'm almost 100% sure that Jenn was the same speed :lol
Wouldn't be surprised. I think they even said she was the most agile in the first..

:lol

Should be easy enough to test with co-op though.

newsguy

Hazaro said:

:lol It's true. Definitely the weakest of the 3. I may go with Chris for the ammo boost. While Mattias is cool for the health boost, I don't like to rush in without a strategy.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
raYne said:
Wouldn't be surprised. I think they even said she was the most agile in the first..

:lol

Should be easy enough to test with co-op though.

I mean I switched during the first one running from cars and etc. and I'm positive it was the same.

Confirmation for 2nd please.

Also does Mattias have a higher "minimum" health? The HP that you get when you regenerate. I always stay there anyway so max doesn't matter to me. :lol

Duck said:
They've already released a patch for a game that hasn't been officially released yet? Sheesh.

Patches don't come together over night, they probably intended for this patch to be done before the game officially released. Too many places just decided to break the street date though.

The game has probably been in stores for more than a week, and it's just waiting to be put on the shelf at this point. A patch on Day 1 is fine with me. That means they've been working on correcting issues with the game while they've been waiting for it to officially drop. That's happened before, usually on PC though.

Gah, tomorrow can't come soon enough. Popped mercs 1 in the 360 for a bit earlier and hardly played for 20 minutes when it crashed. I need me my mercs fix :(

Huggy

Just played the game for a couple of hours. Lots of of graphical glitches, but nothing game breaking.
Game says I'm at 10 percent after doing 2 missions. Eh? I believe it's not counting loads of stuff you can collect.

If you like to blow stuff up, this is your game. If you like Nintendo quality polish, you'll be appalled.

Huggy said:
Just played the game for a couple of hours. Lots of of graphical glitches, but nothing game breaking.
Game says I'm at 10 percent after doing 2 missions. Eh? I believe it's not counting loads of stuff you can collect.

If you like to blow stuff up, this is your game. If you like Nintendo quality polish, you'll be appalled.

Sounds about right considering how Mercs 1 turned out. The first one had a few bugs, and the controls and whole feel of the game were pretty archaic, but it was a blast once you got down to blowing shit up.

Hazaro said:

They were different in the last one.

Mercs 1

Chris = Health
Mattias = Speed
Jenn = I don't really know. I think she took less time to adopt the disguise of whatever vehicle she was in

Mers 2

Chris = Ammo
Mattias = Health
Jenn = Speed

Top Bottom