• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official NeoGAF Groundbreaking Electronic Music Thread™

Divius

Hey guys, my new album is out. Not your typical electronic music. I tried to blend my experience with Metal/Rock and previous orchestral work to form this crazy concoction. I think it's pretty unique.
You seem to be ignored in here, but I do have the album and will listen to it within a few days and drop thoughts in the OT :)

Sadsic

You know, I'd like to know. I'm gonna drop an album myself in a month or so, what is the best topic to link it in? Or should I just try and become a member before then and make a topic >_>

daviyoung

Banned
You know, I'd like to know. I'm gonna drop an album myself in a month or so, what is the best topic to link it in? Or should I just try and become a member before then and make a topic >_>

Let us listen to a sample, and we'll decide.

Members make topics for junior members all the time, so I'm sure someone will do some promo for you if they like what they hear.

Sadsic

Here's a song that will most likely be on the album:

http://soundcloud.com/sadsic/starcaller

I don't really know what genre my stuff is, but it's somewhere between Boards of Canada and Flying Lotus for influence

The album sort of varies around, there's a rap song, some ambient stuff, bibio-esque funk, a lot of different stuff

daviyoung

Banned
Here's a song that will most likely be on the album:

http://soundcloud.com/sadsic/starcaller

I don't really know what genre my stuff is, but it's somewhere between Boards of Canada and Flying Lotus for influence

The album sort of varies around, there's a rap song, some ambient stuff, bibio-esque funk, a lot of different stuff

Wow, sounds really good. I'd class it as trip-hop or post rave. Whatever, I like the sound. Definitely has a Death in Vegas/Massive Attack vibe, pretty old skool sound.

Shaneus

Has a bit of Portishead and Tricky about it too, I think. I don't know if I'd ever be in the right mood to get right into it, but it's definitely quality. Probably be good for a warm-down afterparty or similar.

Nice work!

You seem to be ignored in here, but I do have the album and will listen to it within a few days and drop thoughts in the OT :)

I just have an aversion to people that appear once in a blue moon to say "hey heres my XXXX Bye"
Im not sure why, guess it just annoys me for some reason.

About to load up John Talabot- Fin, I hear its also pretty out there!

Sadsic

Wow, sounds really good. I'd class it as trip-hop or post rave. Whatever, I like the sound. Definitely has a Death in Vegas/Massive Attack vibe, pretty old skool sound.

Has a bit of Portishead and Tricky about it too, I think. I don't know if I'd ever be in the right mood to get right into it, but it's definitely quality. Probably be good for a warm-down afterparty or similar.

Nice work!

Thanks for the compliments =)

The first half of the album is like idm/electronic/hip-hop stuff, then it sort of fades into lo-fi/guitar indie/collage pop before going back to whatever the first part is.

I'm also still looking for a few contributors for extra vocals/guitars/misc noise if anyone would like to collab!

electronic-gaf, I'm just really getting into house & dubstep lately (primarily hip hop listener). I need some night time zone out house and or dubstep for my 4 hour vegas flight.

For reference one of my fav tracks so fav is Ray Foxx - The trumpeter (Chocolate Puma Remix)

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Davidion

Big, massive fucking things.

electronic-gaf, I'm just really getting into house & dubstep lately (primarily hip hop listener). I need some night time zone out house and or dubstep for my 4 hour vegas flight.

For reference one of my fav tracks so fav is Ray Foxx - The trumpeter (Chocolate Puma Remix)

Since I'm on a Todd Edwards kick, I'm recommending Todd Edwards.

Like this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9G_nrUySJ0

Edit: Chocolate Puma is still around?

fin300.jpg

John Talabot - fin

This is pretty awesome.

This album rules. Also really digging Ital - Hive Mind

lush

I really like lone more when he was closer aligned to hip-hop / downtempo than this throwback edm stuff... song is this pretty aquacrunk as hell though

Love Lone, favorite has gotta be the track that sounds like Sonic 3's Launch Base Zone :)

I like this,very golden age but with modern sensibilities. Reminds me of a more energetic early LFO

Big, massive fucking things.

Preview the album here: http://www.junodownload.com/products/galaxy-garden/1915921-02/

Lone is one of my favorites. I absolutely love Lemurian but see no real reason to revisit Ecstasy & Friends outside of "Karen Loves Kate". Everything after Pineapple Crush / Angel Brain has been fire.

look for freely released live mixes. I'm partial to Josh Wink personally.

http://www.joshwink.com/downloads

will serve as a nice intro to various artists and subgenres, too.

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(

Appreciate it, man. :) Yeah, it's really hard to get people to invest a bit of time into your work when you haven't made a name for yourself yet. It's a struggle I've been dealing with for a while but hopefully one day I'll manage to overcome it.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say

I'd definitely recommend the Maceo Plex Essential Mix as a jump-off point. Also throwing some names out there: Jamie Jones, Lee Foss, Laura Jones, Spirit Catcher, Tom Morgan, Ewan Pearson.

if you listen primarily to hip hop you might like electro. Here's some youtube links that were posted earlier in the thread.

Shaneus

I'd definitely recommend the Maceo Plex Essential Mix as a jump-off point. Also throwing some names out there: Jamie Jones, Lee Foss, Laura Jones, Spirit Catcher, Tom Morgan, Ewan Pearson.
Maceo Plex EM is soooooooo good. On a completely different note though, Dimitri From Paris' EM from last year kicks a crazy amount of arse. Diverse, but every track is a winner.

BTW folks, tonight going to see Danny Daze do a 3 hour set. Given the massive erection I have for Discotech (their remix of Roxanne by The Police is off-the-chart awesome) it should be fun. Also, the ladies should be out in their skimpies given it was 35 celcius here in Melbourne today.

Oh, New Order, Steve Bug and Silicone Soul next week :D

djtiesto

Jealous as FUCK. I'd kill to see The Orb - Adventures Beyond the Ultraworld and UFOrb were my breakout introductions to electronic dance music (not counting freestyle, synthpop, late 80's R&B)

Shaneus

Saw Bomb the Bass and The Orb last night. That was good fun!
I was debating whether to go or not, but what sealed the deal on *not* going was hearing that Bomb the Bass had a new album out that wasn't all that special and figuring he'd be pushing that. I bet he played lots of old shit, too :(

But man, you would not have been disappointed going to see Danny Daze. The venue itself was pretty awesome (very dingy and druggy, but never felt filthy so it was cool) and the music was just ridiculous. I think I Shazammed 16 songs I need to chase up? Unheard of for me, let alone in a 3 hour period (as opposed to some festivals where I'd be lucky to get a third of that).

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Scuba - Radio 1 Essential mix

01.) Scuba - Adrenalin
02.) ID
03.) Instra:mental - Lets Talk [Naked Lunch]
04.) FaltyDL- Time
05.) Cassegrain - Distil [Prologue]
06.) Locked Groove - Back To 91 [Turbo]
07.) Conforce - 24 [Clone Basement]
08.) Lorca - Can't See Higher [Dummy Records]
09.) Joachim Spieth - Sensual [Affin100]
10.) Shifted - Telic [Our Circula Sound]
11.) Maceo Plex - Your Style [Crosstown Rebels]
12.) AnD - B1 [Horizontal Ground]
13.) SLZ - Interstalactite Bassline
14.) Phil Kieran & Green Velvet - Michael Jackson (Jamie Jones Edit) [Phil Kieran Records]
15.) Vetress - Untitled [Avian]
16.) Junior Boys - You'll Improve Me (Caribou Remix) [Domino Recordings]
17.) Locked Groove - Keep Running [Hotflush Recordings]
18.) I:Cube - Transpiration [Versatile Recordings]
19.) Gavin Herlihy - Get Loose [Leftroom]
20.) Shifted - Leather [Mote Evolver]
21.) Beaumont - Never Love Me [Hotflush Recordings]
22.) Thomas Smith - Retina Scan (SCB Edit) [Last Night On Earth]
23.) Sepalcure - The One (Kevin McPhee Remix) [Hotflush Recordings]
24.) Recondite - Jaded (Scuba Remix) [Acid Test]
25.) Guy Andrews - The Wait [Hotflush Recordings]
26.) Boddika - Steam [Skudge]
27.) Function - Obsessed (SCB Edit) [Echochord]
28.) Shifted - Spire [Mote Evolver]
29.) Laura Jones - Love In Me (Maceo Plex Remix) [Leftroom]
30.) Brendon Moeller - Wanderer (Tommy Four Seven Mix) [Electric Deluxe]
31.) Scuba - DSY CHN [Hotflush Recordings]
32.) October - Tension Point [Simple Music]
33.) Frozen Border - Whativa [Frozen Border]
34.) Scuba - Gekko (ROD Remix) [Hotflush Recordings]
35.) RRose - Waterfall [Sandwell District]
36.) Phil Kieran - Juicy (Jesper Dahlback Remix) [Phil Kieran Records]
37.) Scuba - The Hope (Recondite Remix) [Hotflush Recordings]
38.) RRose - Bare Hand [Sandwell District]
39.) Daphni - Ye Ye [Text]
40.) Boddika & Joy O - Mercy [SunkLo]
41.) Recondite - DRGN [Hotflush Recordings]
42.) SALEM - Release Da Boar [IAMSOUND]

DJ88

I know we're only posting new stuff in here, but I recently came across the 1999 Essential Mixes from Paul Oakenfold on youtube. I hadn't listened to them in years, so it was awesome going through these again. I used to have all of them on my iPad all perfectly set up to play straight through and change track names right on mix points. I would listen to them all the time. If you've never heard these mixes you really owe yourself a listen to one or two of them at least. Quality track selections and sublime mixing, essential listening for any trance or electronic music fan. Here's a few of them.

Havanna, Cuba
http://youtu.be/gWnQE1mD_lQ

Shadow Lounge, Miami
http://youtu.be/E0Oro6IlQUg
The transition from 46:40 to 47:40 still gets me everytime.

Space, Ibiza (only in parts)
http://youtu.be/J7YDMDcblKw

Rojan, Shanghai
http://youtu.be/MvfAN1V8agk

Gatecrasher
http://youtu.be/a35iQkCe0hI
Probably the best one, the crowd noise makes it so epic.

Shaneus

Holy shit, looks like the perfect way to close out the night. Thanks.
#29 is off the fucking hook. Maceo Plex is fast becoming one of the best producers around. I think 2010 was maybe A-Trak's year, 2011 I'm thinking belongs to Maceo Plex... at least, in terms of my own personal taste and their own careers compared to previous years. Each artist truly stepped it up in those regards.

Karak

Hey guys, my new album is out. Not your typical electronic music. I tried to blend my experience with Metal/Rock and previous orchestral work to form this crazy concoction. I think it's pretty unique.

Thanks. I normally don't pop on much to put in two cents unless it is worth it. But that is some high quality sound right there. Love it.

I used to be on top of the dance/electro/house scene way back around the time of Justice's first album, Uffie, Feadz etc, all that Ed Banger stuff, Digitalism, Boys Noize etc. and kind of fell out of it around the time Deadmau5 seemed to turn up. Kind of a lazy request, but what have I missed? It would be cool to get back into the genre, and try to stay in touch with what's new/upcoming again.

daviyoung

Banned
I used to be on top of the dance/electro/house scene way back around the time of Justice's first album, Uffie, Feadz etc, all that Ed Banger stuff, Digitalism, Boys Noize etc. and kind of fell out of it around the time Deadmau5 seemed to turn up. Kind of a lazy request, but what have I missed? It would be cool to get back into the genre, and try to stay in touch with what's new/upcoming again.

I'm guessing you've missed out on a lot of Star Slinger's stuff.

Cool Runnings - I Am You

Broken Social Scene - Texico Bitches

Star Slinger - Elizabeth Fraser

djtiesto

Check out the Crosstown Rebels crew, it's all about funky/deep/tech house again. Also check that Scuba EM posted above a few posts, lots of good tracks in there.

okno

Nicholas - "Looking" <3

Shaneus, don't sleep on this one!

Oh balls, this is good!! Buying this immediately, it's time to prep for the spring/summer ;D

On that note, and sorry to just pop in and pop right out, but I thought this might be fun.

Guess the tracklist, win a prize! 40 minute, deep disco mix, guess three songs and I'll buy you an album on beatport.com or bleep.com, your choice (and within reason, probs cap it at $10-11). Good luck!

gdt

Just checked out the Knife Party EP, pretty awesome. Scuba is next, gonna dig into his 3(?) albums, seems like GAF won't shut up about him.

Shaneus

Just checked out the Knife Party EP, pretty awesome. Scuba is next, gonna dig into his 3(?) albums, seems like GAF won't shut up about him.
Fun fact you may not have known: Knife Party is actually the two guys who started Pendulum.
Fun fact #2: I'm seeing them at a festy in a week and a half :D

Top Bottom