• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official NeoGAF Groundbreaking Electronic Music Thread™

Shaneus

daviyoung: I honestly don't want to make you jealous, but HOLY FUCK THAT SET WAS INCREDIBLE.

Heard a few gems, a LOT of LNTG tracks (all good, BTW) and legitimately one of the best sets I've heard from anyone for years.

Have a sample:
Prince - Controversy (LNTG Mix - Do I Believe In God)
Tiger & Woods - Gin Nation

And without sleep... fuck, I can't remember any more. Sorry :( (but I think you'll find all his tracks either via Hype Machine or Youtube or his website. He didn't play that track you linked me to that had the free download, but played pretty much (seemingly) everything else in his catalogue. All quality.)

okno

daviyoung: I honestly don't want to make you jealous, but HOLY FUCK THAT SET WAS INCREDIBLE.

Heard a few gems, a LOT of LNTG tracks (all good, BTW) and legitimately one of the best sets I've heard from anyone for years.

Have a sample:
Prince - Controversy (LNTG Mix - Do I Believe In God)
Tiger & Woods - Gin Nation

And without sleep... fuck, I can't remember any more. Sorry :( (but I think you'll find all his tracks either via Hype Machine or Youtube or his website. He didn't play that track you linked me to that had the free download, but played pretty much (seemingly) everything else in his catalogue. All quality.)

Hahaha, you ARE tired, because it was me you talked to, not Daviyoung. That's rad, man, and you did absolutely nothing to dissuade my jealousy! LNTG is one of the reasons why I need to get a bigger apartment and vinyl, because 90% of his material is only available on wax! Glad you had a good time, hopefully one of these days he'll make it over to the states...

edit: wah, youtube... Can't watch that Prince remix due to copyright issues. I'll find it. I've been pretty inspired lately to put together a disco/edits mix, so thanks for even more inspiration.

Shaneus

Hahaha, you ARE tired, because it was me you talked to, not Daviyoung. That's rad, man, and you did absolutely nothing to dissuade my jealousy! LNTG is one of the reasons why I need to get a bigger apartment and vinyl, because 90% of his material is only available on wax! Glad you had a good time, hopefully one of these days he'll make it over to the states...

edit: wah, youtube... Can't watch that Prince remix due to copyright issues. I'll find it. I've been pretty inspired lately to put together a disco/edits mix, so thanks for even more inspiration.
I have some not-so-good news for ya... I believe he has a fear of flying and has never been overseas (or at least, did in the early 90s but doesn't now... or something). So you'll just have to come down to Melbourne!

I'm sure I can dig up a spare bed. I have decks!

BTW, I think I can dig up the tracks... at least some.
Chaka Khan - Ain't Nobody (LNTG remix)
Michael McDonald - Keep Forgettin' (LNTG remix)
Janet Jackson - That's The Way (LNTG rework)
Diana Ross - Boy U Turn Me (LNTG rework)

There were a heap more, but they're the only ones I could remember, and my phone battery died in the middle of his set, so I couldn't take notes :( Just work your way through the songs of his on YouTube. They're all solid gold! He also played a remix of a Teddy Pendergrass track whose name escapes me, and Oliver $'s Doin' Ya Thing... all fit in fine and not at all out of place with the rest of his tracks.

Edit: Just found this. Didn't play it (I would've remembered) but holy shit is it good!
Late Nite Tuff Guy - Deal With God (aka Running Up That Hill)

This is good, too:
LNTG - I Don't Like Acid (Reggae)

Another track he played that wasn't his was this:
Todd Terje - Inspector Norse

Oh BTW, you're in luck. According to his Soundcloud:
LNTG does plan to do a lot of touring in the near future. And a little secret is that in the past he had a fear of flying, which I’m glad to say, is now over! All this with thanks to, believe it or not, Whoopi Goldberg, who shared this fear and a little flying app by Richard Branson.

okno

Yeaaaah! Hopefully he makes it here, otherwise I'll be crashing at your place ;D

I've been sitting on that Kate Bush edit FOR MONTHS! I love the shit out of it, but I haven't played out at a party that would be appropriate for such a jam, unfortunately. I've had "I Don't Like Acid" on repeat for ages, too, but never listened to that version of it, it's insanely woozy! I just noticed he let this release slip under my rader: Dessert Island Discs 010 Bought it immediately, a Michael Jackson, Family Stand and George Benson edit all in one? Yes, please, all over my face. I would kill for that Diana Ross track, oh lawd, and that Chaka Khan? Yikes!

Not surprised at all he played "Inspector Norse," hehe. The song was an instant classic, I still haven't gotten tired of it.

I've been sitting on a bunch of pretty great edits. Too tired to look 'em all up right now, but I'll share them with you soon, you'll like them.

EDIT: Oh FUCK! I am BLIND! Free Diana Ross, AWESOME!

Shaneus

For sure. I'm really hoping the next year is the year of the edit. I like that people are breathing new life into old classics and introducing them to a completely new generation of people who wouldn't have heard it otherwise. Though having said that, most of the crowd seemed to be blow-ins because it's a trendy club, not because LNTG was playing :(

Definitely going out of my way to see him again though, now I know how good he is. You'd love it... was a trainspotters delight, basically!

okno

Ahh, lame. Those nights always end up being fun, but it's kind of frustrating, isn't it? I remember going to see Dexter and Serge here and I was, quite literally, the only person dancing the entire night. There were maybe 25 people in the room. Everyone was on the other side watching Silent Servant (and I do mean watching), so it was a weird night. Most people came to see Function and SS, so the people in the front room with me were just curios and people taking a break.

Still, it's disappointing witnessing something like what you did and being alone in it, surrounded by people.

lush

Thanks for the all the edits. Never listened to Late Night Tuff Guy before, love what I'm hearing. Any good resources for disco/edits?

He also played a remix of a Teddy Pendergrass track whose name escapes me

Was it this one: Cleo & Patra - Pharaoh Love

//

Actress - Shock Therapy 101
Fiona Apple - Every Single Night (LOL Boys Edit)

And this stuff is massive, from an alias, "Route 94", need the producer/release info ASAP. Tracks all ripped from Skream and Benga’s Radio 1 show and New York Transit Authority’s FACT mix:
"Windows"
"Fire"
"Tell You Why"
"The Future"
"Too Ruff"
"Hipster Chicks"
"Fly For Life"
"Too Deep"

lush

"Can't Let Bluto" and "Blow Me Down"(flawless, I could listen to Sade/Sade edits all day) still slay me as far as their releases go. Would love some new material from those guys, still listen to Through the Green and Wiki & Leaks alot.

I haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate the name "LOL Boys", but are they good?
I liked Changes and their split with Hot City, outside of that and some cool remixes, that's all I've heard. They seem like pretty cool dudes though, plus they made Body High. That Fader Mix where that Fiona Apple edit came from is awesome though, definitely check that out if you liked it, it's posted on the last page.

daviyoung

Banned
I haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate the name "LOL Boys", but are they good?

Yes!

Y'all check out this set. It's fuckin' killer!

Tom Middleton - Bassmusic Roots

1) Dynamix II - Just Give The DJ A Break (Bass Station Records 1987)
2) Mr Fingers - Can You Feel It (Trax Records1986)
3) Rhythim is Rhythim - The Dance (Transmat 1987)
4) Rhythim is Rhythim - It Is What It Is (Transmat 1988)
5) Reese - Just Another Chance (Incognito 1988)
6) Inner City - Good Life (KMS/Ten1988)
7) Black Riot - A Day In The Life (Fourth Floor Records 1988)
8) 808 State - Pacific State (ZTT 1989)
9) Unique Three - The Theme (Ten Records 1989)
10) Nightmares On Wax - Dextrous (Warp Records 1989)
11 LFO - LFO (Warp Records 1990)
12) Joey Beltram - Energy Flash (R&S 1990)
13) Orbital - Chime (FFRR 1990)
14) Ability II - Pressure Dub (Bassic 1990)
15) Meat Beat Manifesto - Radio Babylon (Mute 1990)
16) Future Sound Of London - Papua New Guinea (Jumpin' and Pumpin' 1991)
17) 4 Hero - Mr Kirks Nightmare (Reinforced 1990)
18) 4 Hero - The Scorcher (Reinforced 1990)
19) Lennie De Ice - We Are i.e. (ie records 1991)
20) Aphex Twin - Analogue Bubblebath (Mighty Force 1991)
21) Bug Kann & The Plastic Jamm - Made In Two Minutes (DTYD Records 1991)
22) Ragga Twins - 18" Speaker (Shut Up And Dance 1991)
23) Smith & Mighty - Killa (3 Stripe 1992)
24) Dee Patten - Who's The Badman (1992)
25) Innerzone Orchestra - Bug In The Bass Bin (1992)
26) A Guy Called Gerald - 28 Gun Badboy (Juicebox 1991)
27) LTJ Bukem - Demons Theme (Good Looking 1991)

lush

Live set by Four Tet recorded in Oslo by Red Bull Music Academy(7/25/12)

Unknown
Burial - Street Halo
Monica & Brandy - That Boy Is Mine (Arcitechs Remix)
Moodymann - Black Mahogani (Original Mix)
Gerd - Time & Space (2011 Rub)
Objekt - Cactus
Boddika & Joy O - Mercy
Prince - Lady Cab Driver
Martyn - Masks
Unknown
Liquid Liquid - Optimo
Floating Points - Arp3
Wax - No. 30003 (B)
Jackie McLean & Michael Carvin - De I Comahlee Ah
MD X-Spress/Mike Dunn - God Made Me Phunky (Original Mix)

Filled in almost all of the unknowns. Forgot how good "Masks" is, need to go listen to Ghost People again. That track by Wax is ace as well. Nice set.

edit: Mediafire Link

GhaleonQ

Thanks for the other suggestions, will check them out.

I don't have time to stick around, but here's my cheat sheet. There are Russian- (Lithuanian-, Polish-, Azerbaijani-, whatever) and English-language sites that do excellent coverage, but I actively follow:

96wrld
Bop
Dza
Ishome
I-Tone
Moa Pillar
Monokle
Mujuice
Music For Your Plants
Nocow
Pixelord
Thallus

And, from Twitter, I found out that a Sapporo native, Moskitoo, is putting out new material next year. That's some lovely downtempo stuff if you all haven't heard it.

Solomun essential mix

Not slept properly, legs hurt and the Internet is going too slow.

Global Gathering was awesome and again I ended up seeing Above and Beyond and it was the highlight of the festival for me. I guess its because im with my two best mates and its all so stupidly happy haha

Sasha was awesome aswell.
He played a song also played by Jackmaster earlier in the day which really threw me, I wish I had recorded some of it so I could find it..
Speaking of Jackmaster still on a 5th time seeing him and hes yet to play a bad set.

ShyFx played some good jungle aswell.

Memory's failing right now.. need sleep.

okno

Byetone, Kangding Ray, Demdike, and Emptyset? Yes please.

+ Fennesz, Ariel Pink, Actress, Monolake, Robag, and Objekt, UGGGH! That's not even the half of it! That is an awesome, awesome, awesome line up. You're close to Seattle, aren't you? Thinking of going?

PS, I was on the train today and that mix you made a bit ago popped up. Such a solid mix!

Edit: Thanks, Lush, for that Four Tet mix. Going to listen to that on my way into court tomorrow morning! Never heard that Martyn track, and holy balls is that tasty...

Shaneus

Roman Flugel has the best name to say out loud of anyone ever.

That's a great list, though. Looks like a great opportunity to see acts you've never seen before, no matter who you are. Nina Kraviz would be interesting to see, too... have some of her tracks but never heard her live.

And Robag. Holy fucking shit. Still one of the greatest sets I've ever heard. Hurt my brain, pushed my boundaries and challenged what I thought could be done in the realms of 4/4(ish) electronic music... but man it was satisfying. Almost felt like the time I went to the Dali art exhibition, actually.

Don't see Lusine though. They followed Robert Babicz when he played here, the chick danced in the DJ booth while Robert was playing for almost his entire set (so fucking annoying, ARGH) and played the flattest, most boring, samey set I'd heard in ages. However, there's an awesome remix of their track Two Dots by Fanciulli so maybe they might play that. But probably not.

Will be checking that Solomun mix soon, I think. I saw a live vid of him mixing with someone and he looks like a douche, but he seems to have decent taste in music.

accx

How i missed this gem a couple of months ago i have no clue.
Some nudisco boogie madness!
Chris Malinchak - Deal 'Em

This is also fantastic:
Sneaky Sound System - Friends (Plastic Plates Remix)

Have been catching up with my backlog lately and haven't updated much with fresh new songs. Mostly some songs from the 80's and a lot from last year that i apparently skipped.

I posted a couple of artists for consideration if you wanted to get into Nudisco, Boogie and Deep House (Here's my original post: Nudisco mayhem. )
I wanted to share some new artists i've found:

Rodion. Specifically the ep with Khan. The C90's remix of Discoteca Romana is fantastic.

The Aikiu. While not an artist doing this kind of music there's fantastic remixes by Egyptrixx, Azari & III, Might Mouse and more..

Sam Sparro. If i never posted him before i did a huge mistake. Check out everything.

James Curd. I can't say much about this artist but worth checking out.

Plastic Plates. See the link before. All their remixes are fucking fantastic. Listen to the remixes on Sia and Body Language. I wish they would release more.

Jus' Bros. The Truth EP is fantastic. Couldn't find an official soundcloud but the ep should be on there. Jeremy Glenn is also there so check him out!

Jeremy Glenn. Not much to say but look him up!

Tyson. Haven't had much to listen to him yet but noticed he has an album out. Might wanna check out his Facebook for more songs.

Jokers of the scene. While they are more electro and french house, their new ep flirts with old school house (90's rave). It's called J0T5. "In order to trance" have this kind of Orbital feeling to it.

F3. Not much to say but look him up!

Moon Boots. Think i have recommended them before but worth recommending again.

The M Machine. Their debut ep (i guess?) Has a fantastic mix of genres. Really interesting.

Cassette Club. I dunno if they have any recent released but their ep from 2010 is fantastic. (EDIT: Looks like they aren't doing much at all).

Ben Macklin. He is one of the two members from Cassette Club and seem to have some more recent releases. Haven't had the chance to listen much to him yet.

Kamei. Not much to say but look him up!

La Zebra. Not much to say but look him up!

Attack Yourself! Some songs are great, others not so much.

Matan Arkin. Dancer in the dark is amazing.

Gold Fields. Specifically their remix of Passion Pit's Take a walk:
Passion Pit - Take a walk (Gold Fields Remix)

Florence & The Machine - No Light No Light (Ben Macklin Remix)
This song ain't that special, pretty mediocre tbh. The thing is that i'm a huge Florence fan so this song hits right in the gut. I mean, my favorite genre with my favorite singer?
However, if you don't enjoy Florence this will be pretty dull.

EDIT:
Adding Zimmer. His Horizontal Disco Ep had a remix release not too long ago. Artists like Moullinex, Mercury, Xinobi have done the remixes, including more!

EDIT 2:
Lemâitre should be added. While more on the "indie dance" side of things they're still fantastic. Has some elements of glitch and french electro but keeps it fresh.
A new EP was released not too long ago. Relativity pt. 2. I recommend getting both pt.1 and pt.2.

EDIT 3:
Revised and updated with soundcloud links to all artists. It's a little messy but whatever.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
+ Fennesz, Ariel Pink, Actress, Monolake, Robag, and Objekt, UGGGH! That's not even the half of it! That is an awesome, awesome, awesome line up. You're close to Seattle, aren't you? Thinking of going?

My full-time school and work schedule is likely going to prevent me from seeing any of the shows, but I'd really like to try making it to Demdike Stare at the very least. I missed them last time they were in town (which is quite unusual to begin with) and I've heard such wild stuff about their live performances.

thumbs-up-chuck.gif

Thumbs up for all of them but the bold especially.

BeeDog

Did anyone manage to snatch Giraffage - Money? I'd appreciate if someone could upload it to Zippy or whereever. Thanks in advance!

andylsun

THIS

xOqpl.png

makes an amazing playlist. I can't believe that Underworld scored the Opening Ceremony. I bought the double-CD and it's fantastic stuff. And I will Kiss, Caliban's dream and Rez are the standouts so far.

Edit: You know what. I know that Danny Boyle has worked with Underworld for a long time, but I still find it amazing that one of the biggest events in the world managed to have a soundtrack that was mainly dance/electronic/house. It's mind blowing.

It also shows the guts of the UK olympic committee in putting faith in Danny Boyle (and the people they knew he would work with). Could you imagine what we would have got if they played it safe? Tim Rice or Andrew Lloyd Webber doing the Opening Ceremony? I'm staggered by the vision of what he pulled off.

daviyoung

Banned

lush

Seye - Mexicana Bounce (Bondax Remix)
Capeface - Solyme
Pirupa - Party Non Stop (Huxley Remix)
Reilly Steel - ICU (Mak & Pasteman House Remix)
Reilly Steel - ICU (Mak & Pasteman UK Remix)

Checked out Greg Wilson and I've tried a few of his mixes, fun stuff. Here's a few more edits I've enjoyed:

Neon Rider - All Tonight
High PKWY - Don't Forget It
Deadly Sins - Feels So Good
Eva Gina - U Gonna

Also, Lindstrøm edits:

Ra-ako-st / Eg-ged-osis (Extended Edits)

Ęg-gęd-ōsis (Todd Terje Extended Edit)

edit:

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/315446_10150934055131567_579331795_n.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
[URL="http://i.imgur.com/GJziq.jpg"]Finally....[/URL]

lush

Kingdom 74 minute set for Fade To Mind's first livestream // No tracklist, "moves from crunk to Bmore club to vogue house, with all the edge of an R&B/hip-hop obsessive. Put simply, it’s a Fade to Mind mix."

Ryan Hemsworth Mix for Slowed(Scion Sessions Week) in Toronto next week:
Donkey Kong Country OST - Aquatic Ambience (Ryan Hemsworth Bootleg)
Expendable Youth & Baauer - Drill T.I.P.
Kendrick Lamar - Swimming Pools (Drank)
LOUDPVCK - XX
Lil Flip - Game Over
TNGHT - Goooo
Lockah - Sly Winking Usury
The Dummiez - Bitches (Faisal Remix)
Juicy J - Bands A Make Her Dance
Kaytradamus - Nothing At All
Ryan Hemsworth - Oil Paintings
Falcons - TEAMSUPREME
Exeter - 88MPH (Ryan Hemsworth Remix)
Ryan Hemsworth - Real Human Being
Gunplay - Black On Black (ft. Ace Hood & Bun B)
Donkey Kong Country 2 OST - K. Rool Returns
Rick Ross - Bury Me A G (ft. T.I.)
http://www.mediafire.com/?e5b95oz22pwgbr5

Rick Ross over DKC2 mashup is ridiculous.

BeeDog

http://images.junostatic.com/full/CS460132-01B-BIG.jpg

I recommended this one a couple of days ago, but no one listened. :mad:

Absolutely fantastic release, loving all tracks on it (except Dionysus Park lolz).

Just to get more peeps to listen to it: It's released on Rwina, the same label that recently released Eprom's album.

HiResDes

I recommended this one a couple of days ago, but no one listened. :mad:

Absolutely fantastic release, loving all tracks on it (except Dionysus Park lolz).

Just to get more peeps to listen to it: It's released on Rwina, the same label that recently released Eprom's album.

My man, also been revisiting Phon. O's Black Boulder, and I think it might make my top ten list at the end of the year.

Shaneus

THIS

xOqpl.png

makes an amazing playlist. I can't believe that Underworld scored the Opening Ceremony. I bought the double-CD and it's fantastic stuff. And I will Kiss, Caliban's dream and Rez are the standouts so far.

Edit: You know what. I know that Danny Boyle has worked with Underworld for a long time, but I still find it amazing that one of the biggest events in the world managed to have a soundtrack that was mainly dance/electronic/house. It's mind blowing.

It also shows the guts of the UK olympic committee in putting faith in Danny Boyle (and the people they knew he would work with). Could you imagine what we would have got if they played it safe? Tim Rice or Andrew Lloyd Webber doing the Opening Ceremony? I'm staggered by the vision of what he pulled off.
Wait... how did they score it? The bits that weren't licensed used that music?

I recognise a few of their tracks in that listing, but I'm struggling to think of the music that wasn't the obvious licensed stuff. Definitely not Dark and Long.

Thanks for posting it, though! I'd love to look into it further, like how it all came about and to actually have a listen to it. I'm starting to (slowly) warm to High Contrast a little!

Ryan Hemsworth Mix for Slowed(Scion Sessions Week) in Toronto next week:

http://www.mediafire.com/?e5b95oz22pwgbr5

Rick Ross over DKC2 mashup is ridiculous.

tumblr_lu5qrongBX1qe4ivm.gif

Edit: yeah its really fucking good..

Faces I recognize

Jerome
Dark Sister?
Oneman?
Bok Bok
Kitty Pryde
Ngunzuguzu
Total Freedom?
Chippy Nonstop

I think I saw Ryan Hemsworth and R.L Grimes but could be wrong.
The Scholomo remix is really good aswell. Maybe Better depending on my mood.

daviyoung

Banned
Wait... how did they score it? The bits that weren't licensed used that music?

The parts that weren't licensed music (like all the flashback pop stuff) was all scored by Underworld and friends. Not much of it was house/techno though, more like electronic classical ala Hans Zimmer. I'm not replying to a guy who replied to my post by editing his previous post though.

Shaneus

The parts that weren't licensed music (like all the flashback pop stuff) was all scored by Underworld and friends. Not much of it was house/techno though, more like electronic classical ala Hans Zimmer. I'm not replying to a guy who replied to my post by editing his previous post though.
Fuck, you had me going there for a bit. Thought you were talking about me! Phew ;)

Top Bottom