• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official NeoGAF Groundbreaking Electronic Music Thread™

BeeDog

Finding the new Kill The Noise remix EP so. fucking. GOOD. Has something for everyone:

5VKaB.jpg

Roots Remixed EP

- Joke's On You (Kill The Noise Remix): Brostep, but I'm loving it.
- My World (Brillz Remix): Awesome trap remix!
- My World (Torro Torro Remix): Decent moombah, good drive as always.
- Perfect Combination (Codes Remix): Great proper house tune.
- Roots (Will Bailey Remix): A blend of dutch house and moombah, I'd say. Good track.
- Perfect Combination (Kastle Slow Motion Remix): The highlight of the remix package. Goddamn this smooth-as-fuck tune is GREAT.

Spotify link: http://open.spotify.com/album/6El5gP825U7iVLWGIp3ciR

lush

Boiler Room - Airhead 45 Min Mix, Simian Mobile Disco , MORRI$ 50 Min Mix

Fantastic Mr Fox - Power // This gentlemen is on fire.
LOL Boys - Changes (Feat. Heart Streets) (Star Slinger Remix)
Shylo - In Your Mix (clip) // Sounds like Disclosure/Bondax
Dusky - Resin (Midland Reshape)
Untold - Change in a Dynamic Environment 3 (Stream)
Jamie Grind x Destiny's Child - Nasty Girl
Atlas - Cities EP (SMBL007)

Also, Bwana's "Baby, Let Me Finish" finally comes out on the 20th(came out on vinyl July 30th). Loving this remix that will be on digital:
Bwana - Baby Let Me Finish [Black Orange Juice Remix]

Loving that new Shlohmo mix and Ryan Hemsworth. Also stoked to hear that Blawan release, need HQ of that Untitled track. Also excited to hear that Matthew Dear HRD, "Her Fantasy" is one of the best tracks I've heard this year.

edit: Thanks Syracuse022

Shaneus

Is there really no love for a new Rob Hood release here? Crazy times.
Okay okay, I've had a listen. I like it! Really nice, slow, rolling/flowing track... toes the line of being minimal quite heavily, without actually *really* being minimal. Thanks for pushing me to listen to it :)

Edit: I'm talking about the first track. The second is probably a little too ambient for me to get any sort of enjoyment out of, but that's not to say it's a shit track. I can hear there are quality elements to it and can understand why some people would like it, but I don't think it's quite my thing.

Booya

Neo Member
God damn, that's hot. It has a massive Kavinsky vibe, IMO... not a bad thing.

Is most of his other stuff like this? The only thing I'm familiar with that he's done is his remix of Just An Illusion by Imagination.

PS. Sinden? Woo!

Yea Kavinsky, i also get some vangelis / blade runner vibe plus nostalgia for old sega consoles. awesome track all around.
you should check his 3-track-50minute album "where you go i go too".

and while we're in norway. its old but i really love this track so much http://soundcloud.com/toddterje/todd-terje-inspector-norse

Shaneus

Yea Kavinsky, i also get some vangelis / blade runner vibe plus nostalgia for old sega consoles. awesome track all around.
you should check his 3-track-50minute album "where you go i go too".

and while we're in norway. its old but i really love this track so much http://soundcloud.com/toddterje/todd-terje-inspector-norse
Will do! And man, I love pretty much everything Terje does. With himself, Late Nite Tuff Guy and Greg Wilson getting more and more blog/airtime, it's a great "era" to be a re-edits/remixes fan!

Bill Withers - Lovely Day (LNTG re-edit)

BeeDog

Just discovered these two mega-compilations, holy fucking shit they are awesome:

http://thehitandrun.bandcamp.com/

jO2GV.jpg
A86mj.jpg

Tons of great instrumental hip-hop/electronica producers like Daedelus, Kutmah, Thavius Beck, Sweatson Klank, The Gaslamp Killer, Matthewdavid, Jeremiah Jae, Mike Gao and Om Unit.

LISTEN TO THIS, PEOPLE

gdt

Hopefully the new Blawan EP hits the internet asap. I have a loooong car ride tomorrow and would love to crank Why They Hide and this during that ride.

Shaneus

Probably not really suitable for this thread (though maybe it is? It *is* electronic...) but for some weird reason, this is scratching some kind of a weird itch I never knew I had. I don't even know what genre it fits into, but I know I kinda dig it.

Donae'o - Big Ben (Artful Garage remix)

Obviously, I guess it's "garage" (going by the remix name) and it's by Artful Dodger? Anyway, just has really slick production and could easily be rocked out to in a bar or intimate club-type settings. Maybe if there's an instrumental of it (with just a smattering of the "chorus") I'd be even happier.

accx

God damn, that's hot. It has a massive Kavinsky vibe, IMO... not a bad thing.

Is most of his other stuff like this? The only thing I'm familiar with that he's done is his remix of Just An Illusion by Imaginationhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_y1V9R5wcw.

PS. Sinden? Woo!

Yeah. Most of lindstroms stuff has that deep house/balearica/disco vibe. Highly recommended.
Check out lindstrom & prince thomas for the deep house stuff or lindstrom & christabelle for more nu disco.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zs-_6iow8VY

RA.324 Untold
Can you tell us about the idea behind the mix?

It's an hour of dark, percussive techno with an industrial edge. Something suitable for a motorway drive at night. I held back on selecting tracks that contained lots of melody, instead leaving the drums and FX to provide the focus and set the mood. The kicks bang quite hard towards the end.

Tracklist
STL - The Taphead - Something
Robag Wruhme - Brumby Kapell - Musik Krause
Oscar Mulero - Introducing Errors - Warm up
Sleeparchive - Ronan Point 2 - Tresor
Metasplice - Buoyant Slight - Morphine
Ugandan Methods - Beneath the Black Arch - Ancient Methods
Blawan - Tuesday's March - Frozen Border
Go Hiyama - Fallingwater - Token
Stanislav Tokachev - Building Peaks - Modularz
Percussions - Bird Songs - Text
Marcelus - Super Strength - Tresor
Strip Steve feat. Das Glow - Calcium - Album Edit - Boysnoize
Sei A - Unknown - unreleased
Midland & Pariah - Untitled 2 - Works the Long Nights
J Tijn - The Anti Mixdown - Turbo
Milton Bradley - Echoes from the Past - Do Not Resist The Beat
Untold - Motion the Dance - Hemlock

I had to stop listening about 15mins in, it was abit much for me at this hour in the afternoon.

Cant really belive the shitty club in my local town has this kind of line up. Shame I have tickets to something else like allways!
uk-0826-375928-50887-front.jpg

lush

Stream Teengirl Fantasy's Tracer

Download Melé – Vanelé Volume 1 EP for free (Preview: "Gold Casio")
New Boiler Room Mixes: Matthew Dear 40 Min Mix, Teengirl Fantasy, Kevin Mcphee 45 Min Mix, Oneman 35 Min Mix, Airhead 45 Min Mix

FACT mix 342: DJ Q // fantastic mix, give it a listen
DJ Q – Boom
Disclosure feat Ria Ritchie – Control
Medlar – Onwards
Todd Edwards – Love Inside
TS7 – Grade A
Rudimental feat Mc Shantie – Deep In The Valley (Woz Remix)
Hackney Soldiers – Da String Tune
Kcat – Broken (Mike Delinquent Project Remix)
DJ Fabian – Retro Bass
Kcat – Broken (Acapella)
SBTRKT feat Sampha – Living Like I Do (Lil Silva Remix)
Dismantle – More Funk
Cahil feat Ty – Take It Back (Ill Blu Remix)
Lorenzo – Ripped Groove
DJ Q – Ordinary People
Disclosure feat Sinead Harnett – Boiling (Medlar Remix)
DJ Q – Brandy & Coke VIP
Todd Edwards – Never Far From You
Intruder (A Murk Production) feat Jai – Amame (Dyed Soundorom Dub Version)
Redlight – Basscone
Moony – Vital Organ
Pusherman – Donuts
Tina Moore – Nobody Better (Dem 2 Unlimited Mix)
Burgaboy – You’re Gonna Love Me
R1 Ryderz – Speed Bumps
Swifta Beater feat Dapz OTM – Swagga
Nick Hannam – Homeless
Shadow Child – So High
Linkoban – Like This (Tom Shorterz Remix)
Disclosure – My Intention Is War (fig ii)
DJ Q feat Louise Williams – Trust Again (TS7 Dub Mix)
Palace – Trust (Mista Men Remix)
Classified – Say To You
DJ Q feat Louise Williams – Trust Again

No Doubt - Settle Down (Baauer Remix)
Bondax - Baby I Got That (full version)
Hurricane - Chew Lips (XXXY Remix)
Cid Rim - Draw x Janet Jackson (Obey City Edit)
Bondax - You're So (Star Slinger Refix)
Ta-ku - Sweat Like Keith // <3 this

-Trap/Hip Hop/Whatever(-

Richman - Dro Montana // #dead
M&#916;DRID - Ima Work

Dope.

okno

These two are just insane, especially "Nasty Girl," good lord.

New Untold RA podcast looks absolutely nuts, can't wait to dig into it.

New Lindstrom is just massive. Been playing it out to great effect. Not feeling that Bill Withers edit, though, too cheesy.

New Robert Hood is godly, supremely excited for that one!

My contribution to this thread: Bobby Champs - Drag Queen Dirty, deep and delightful. Fantastic EP. Digital out on the 20th. Follow the link on there for a free download of "Charlie".

CXX - Comfort of Strangers (Rhythm Doctors Edit)
S.L.F. - Show Me What You Got (Acid Mix - Part 1) :D

Leon Vynehall - Gold Language (Gang Colours Remix) Bought the single on release, ignored this remix until this weekend. Big mistake.

edit: holy fuck at that XXXY remix of Hurricane!

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Found this track quite disappointing, especially coming after the first promising couple of tunes. Mala's a don so hoping the rest is more adventurous.

Is there really no love for a new Rob Hood release here? Crazy times.

I've been meaning to check it out but been out of town all weekend! And Soundcloud is blocked at my job unfortunately :( Big fan of Robert Hood, especially "Needles", "Who Taught You Math", "Pole Position" and "And Then We Planned Our Escape"... and am interested in seeing what he's been up to lately.

BeeDog

Spotify recommended that new Throwing Snow EP to me yesterday. GodDAMN it's awesome, been listening to Perca on repeat ever since. <3

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Hey GAF I'm addicted to the 2nd half of the song More Excuses by Bibio specially the stuff past the folky part with the vocals.

Any have any good song recommendations that sound more like the 2nd half of that song?!?!

accx

"Newish" remix from Aeroplane:
Erika Spring - Happy At Your Gate (Aeroplane Remix)

Hey GAF I'm addicted to the 2nd half of the song More Excuses by Bibio specially the stuff past the folky part with the vocals.

Any have any good song recommendations that sound more like the 2nd half of that song?!?!

Great song. I would check out Aphex Twin which is arguably the father of IDM.
Something similar to that though? Hm, i've been out of the loop but lets see:

Kilowatts
Ice Cream Creatures
Boards of Canada

Autechre
4mat
Isan
Differnet
Dntel
Fennesz
Múm
Sigur Ros
Ratatat
Plaid

Mouse on Mars
Squarepusher
Styrofoam
Telefon Tel Aviv
The Postal Service
Trentemoller

Sacred Symbols of Mu is an excellent compilation album
Baths
Arovane
Gold Panda
Kim Hiorthoy

grandma (Khonnor's side project)
Icactus (also Khonnor's side project)
Khonnor
leoparden

last step
Pivot
The Flashbulb
Tycho
Unai

Venetian Snares (if you like hectic breakcore shit)
Wisp

You can argue that the song you linked isn't idm but more electronica (which is not a genre per se).
You could also argue that some of the artists i've mentioned doesn't fit the bill and some might not be that similar to what you're looking for. I've bolded the ones that fit the bill the most.
Also check out drum and bass and 2 step garage (i think it's also called uk garage or they might be different genres).

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
UK Garage was originally a take on soulful New York/New Jersey deep house called "garage" due to its associations with legendary club the Paradise Garage. Todd Edwards being the biggest influence. These songs were played after drum&bass parties as kind of a "cool down" music. Eventually, the D&B fans who chilled out to the US garage demanded the music get a bit "tougher" so the music sped up, basslines got heavier, and the US sound mutated into the earliest UK garage. In fact, there are quite a number of D&B producers who would later make their mark in garage (MJ Cole, Steve Gurley, Wookie).

Tina Moore's "Never Gonna Let You Go" in 1997 was one of the first garage songs to have a breakbeat in place of the 4x4 beat typical of house and other UK garage, eventually 2-step sounds became more prominent towards 1999, this time further taking in influence from the stuttery R&B productions of Timbaland. And then from the glossy, R&B-ish 2-step, a darker sound eventually emerged (here's where a lot of the D&B producers/DJs really started influencing the scene, like DJ Zinc with "138 Trek"). The darker garage (El B, Zed Bias, So Solid Crew) would lay the foundation for grime and everyone's favorite whipping boy, dubstep.

Breakbeat Hardcore / Jungle / Drum & Bass / Speed Garage / 2-Step / Grime / Dubstep / UK Funky / Post-Dub are all part of a fairly linear British urban music canon that Simon Reynolds terms the "Hardcore Continuum".

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
"Newish" remix from Aeroplane:
Erika Spring - Happy At Your Gate (Aeroplane Remix)

Great song. I would check out Aphex Twin which is arguably the father of IDM.
Something similar to that though? Hm, i've been out of the loop but lets see:

Kilowatts
Ice Cream Creatures
Boards of Canada

Autechre
4mat
Isan
Differnet
Dntel
Fennesz
Múm
Sigur Ros
Ratatat
Plaid

Mouse on Mars
Squarepusher
Styrofoam
Telefon Tel Aviv
The Postal Service
Trentemoller

Sacred Symbols of Mu is an excellent compilation album
Baths
Arovane
Gold Panda
Kim Hiorthoy

grandma (Khonnor's side project)
Icactus (also Khonnor's side project)
Khonnor
leoparden

last step
Pivot
The Flashbulb
Tycho
Unai

Venetian Snares (if you like hectic breakcore shit)
Wisp

You can argue that the song you linked isn't idm but more electronica (which is not a genre per se).
You could also argue that some of the artists i've mentioned doesn't fit the bill and some might not be that similar to what you're looking for. I've bolded the ones that fit the bill the most.
Also check out drum and bass and 2 step garage (i think it's also called uk garage or they might be different genres).

Thanks for the post! I'm an IDM fan, but being American it's sort of hard to follow IDM or EDM cause nobody cares over here. I know a lot of that list, but there is some new stuff I've never heard of. Obviously the stand outs like Aphex Twin, Boards of Canada (I have a cool BoC shirt I wear and nobody ever gets it), Autechre (had a cool shirt by them that I gave to my GF) and I have a friend that was obsessed with Tycho on spotify earlier this year I've heard.

I haven't head some of the stuff on your list though (at least I don't think) like Ice Cream Creatures, Wisp, Venetian Snares, and Unai. I'll do some listening later when I get home this evening! Thanks a ton dude! :D

PS: I like Bibio, but I tend to always get in this weird mode when I listen to his albums where I want the more electronica stuff to come out verses the more folky side that kind of made him famous.

lush

XLR8R Podcast 260: Groundislava
01 LOL Boys "Mind's Clouded" (Friends of Friends)
02 Groundislava "Days"
03 Marc Romboy and Stephan Bodzin "Ferdinand" (Systematic)
04 Octave One "Burujha" (430 West)
05 Shlohmo "Ghost Pt. 2 (Groundislava Cool Mix)" (Error Broadcast)
06 Groundislava and Friends vs. Oliver $ "Doin Ya Thing" (Vendetta)
07 Ten City "That's The Way Love Is" (Ibadan)
08 Tomas Barfod "Came to Party (Groundislava Remix)" (Friends of Friends)
09 Wax Stag "The Wash" (People in the Sky)
10 Benedek "Last Touch (Groundislava Cool Mix)" (Proximal)
11 Groundislava "Cold Water Breathing"
12 LOL Boys "Changes (Groundislava Cool Mix)" (Friends of Friends)
13 Chrono Trigger Original Soundtrack "The Day The World Revived" (Konami)
14 Groundislava "Untitled"
15 Groundislava feat. Jake Weary "The Upside (2010 Demo)"
16 Utada Hikaru "Simple and Clean" (Square Enix)

Karma Kid - Lust, Love
DrDr - Addicted
Diafrix - Helicopter (Star Slinger Remix)
Walter Ego - Rebounds
Face + Heel - Warm Blooded Days

lush

I'd say EDM is extremely popular in the US right now, hell look at how top 40 sounds now. The Ultra style stuff and "dubstep" seem to be growing rapidly in popularity here in the States.

okno

I'd say EDM is extremely popular in the US right now, hell look at how top 40 sounds now. The Ultra style stuff and "dubstep" seem to be growing rapidly in popularity here in the States.

While that may be the case here, talking to a Skrillex fan about the new Burial or Todd Terje single is going to end the conversation very quickly, and I think that's his point. When I tell people I DJ and what I play, they ask me if I play Calvin Harris and Deadmau5, and when I tell them I don't they change the subject. Just last week a girl asked me to play a Pitbull remix, and when I told her I didn't have that, she said, with great disdain, "then what the fuck do you have?" EDM is very popular, but it's the same radio bullshit that was popular in the late 90s/early 2000s (remember Vengaboys?). I still find it difficult to have a proper discussion about dance music, because very few people can relate. It's all still very much underground and will remain that way for a long, long time.

Unless Britney Spears partners up with Scuba. Then, things might change.

lush

While that may be the case here, talking to a Skrillex fan about the new Burial or Todd Terje single is going to end the conversation very quickly, and I think that's his point. When I tell people I DJ and what I play, they ask me if I play Calvin Harris and Deadmau5, and when I tell them I don't they change the subject. Just last week a girl asked me to play a Pitbull remix, and when I told her I didn't have that, she said, with great disdain, "then what the fuck do you have?" EDM is very popular, but it's the same radio bullshit that was popular in the late 90s/early 2000s (remember Vengaboys?). I still find it difficult to have a proper discussion about dance music, because very few people can relate. It's all still very much underground and will remain that way for a long, long time.

Unless Britney Spears partners up with Scuba. Then, things might change.
Woah, woah, woah, Vengaboys shade? Not here for that.

I suppose it is rather similar to the eurodance craze of the late 90s/early 00s but you have to believe it'd be easier to transition from what's currently popular in the States as far as EDM to more quality stuff. Maybe that's just wishful thinking. I think when you factor in the internet and how much music discovery has changed I can see it continue to grow. The UK bass scene at least seems to be really booming, with producers like SBTRKT having crossover success very recently. Getting more and more accessible with so many new artists popping up all the time. Some modern R&B production seems to be bothering from it. Machinedrum/Lone/Hudson Mohawke producing for Azealia Banks and Kanye West. You're probably right though in that it'll probably end up staying about the same, there will always be an underground though.

Sad/funny that you'd hear shit like that in Chicago, still cool that you're able to drop Todd Terje/Burial though as a DJ in the States. You're better off than I am in Tennessee.

Scuba producing for Britney Spears? Yes.....

My allegiance will always lie with IDM, and that sure as shit isn't popular in Australia!

Anyway, a gig just got announced here which I'm pretty excited about:

Lineup:
================
Tipper (UK)
Freq Nasty (NZ)
Eskmo (US)
Eprom (US)
Dov (US)
An-ten-nae (US)

daviyoung

Banned
USA is pretty much a wasteland for EDM, but that's only because of the sheer f'kin size of the country. In the cities you get the same/better EDM than anywhere else, and the further out you get the more traditional stuff stays. This is the same in all countries with EDM scenes, except in those countries it's not that long before you hit another city with good music. In America you have to get on a plane, it's hard for a little Englander like to me to realise this. A club in middle-England will play the same crap (with less country) as a mid-Western club, a club in London will play similar stuff to its equivalent in NYC. It's not that EDM/IDM are lost, it's that people are so far apart.

The only massive difference think of is public radio. While UK's national radio will play drum-and-bass and dubstep and trance in various guises of radio edit, US national radio is 'ALL ROCK, ALL OF THE TIME' or whatever, so people don't get the exposure to EDM they would during their every day. The internet has changed all this though, and people that want good music don't have to travel to find it. However, getting people together to celebrate this good music they're finding is a whole different ballgame.

Shaneus

UK Garage was originally a take on soulful New York/New Jersey deep house called "garage" due to its associations with legendary club the Paradise Garage. Todd Edwards being the biggest influence. These songs were played after drum&bass parties as kind of a "cool down" music. Eventually, the D&B fans who chilled out to the US garage demanded the music get a bit "tougher" so the music sped up, basslines got heavier, and the US sound mutated into the earliest UK garage. In fact, there are quite a number of D&B producers who would later make their mark in garage (MJ Cole, Steve Gurley, Wookie).

Tina Moore's "Never Gonna Let You Go" in 1997 was one of the first garage songs to have a breakbeat in place of the 4x4 beat typical of house and other UK garage, eventually 2-step sounds became more prominent towards 1999, this time further taking in influence from the stuttery R&B productions of Timbaland. And then from the glossy, R&B-ish 2-step, a darker sound eventually emerged (here's where a lot of the D&B producers/DJs really started influencing the scene, like DJ Zinc with "138 Trek"). The darker garage (El B, Zed Bias, So Solid Crew) would lay the foundation for grime and everyone's favorite whipping boy, dubstep.

Breakbeat Hardcore / Jungle / Drum & Bass / Speed Garage / 2-Step / Grime / Dubstep / UK Funky / Post-Dub are all part of a fairly linear British urban music canon that Simon Reynolds terms the "Hardcore Continuum".
Is that where this fits in? Because while I couldn't listen to more than one song in a row that sounded like it, as a random drop it could actually switch things up kinda nicely in a set.

To join in on the conversation, I can only ever really see two extremes happening in Australia (at least, Melbourne and to a lesser extent, Geelong) with dance music. On one hand, you have the nightspots that'll play anything MoS-ish, including whatever the flavour of the month is, attracting bogans/piss-heads who are largely there to get drunk/do drugs and pick up. On the other hand, you have the places that play decent music (your Todd Terje stuff, to minimal, to deep... around that sort of thing. Mostly very "blogger" oriented music ;)) but the problem is that they attract hipsters like there's no tomorrow who only seem to like the stuff because it's not commercial and largely inoffensive (compared to music with extreme electronic/synth-based noises), not because it's actually good... or they're there because it's the hip place to be. Case in point: LNTG a few weeks back, was having a chat to a girl who found herself in this club (onesixone if you're a trainspotter... I fucking adore that place) because she lived down the road and had never been there before, just heard it was alright. And wall-to-wall of fucking hipsters who spent most of their time in the smoking area.

There are a good number of DJs that play insanely good shit (I have a friend who plays in Geelong who'd blow people away at a Melbourne gig, but is satisfied with the one he has) but they're not exactly easy to find. Most people who have been around music long enough to have good taste usually disappear from the radar for whatever reason.

But thankfully, it's very rare I'll see someone *anywhere* (regardless of venue or type of music) that requests stuff like Calvin Harris or Deadmau5. From what I can tell, people are at least becoming somewhat educated with what they can/should request/expect during a set. I guess that's something.

Holy shit, that was a random stream of consciousness. Apologies if it made no sense.

Top Bottom