• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official NeoGAF Groundbreaking Electronic Music Thread™

Hey GAF! Want new noize? After 14 years of bedroomproducing I finally decided to get to the surface and start releasing stuff (soon, hopefully) under the name "Dynamoto". I have uploaded 5 Previews of my newest Tracks on my brandnew Soundcloud Page. I do Progressive House, bit of Dubstep, bit of D&B and bit of everything else, really.

Would be awesome if you guys could give the tracks a listen!

http://soundcloud.com/dynamoto

https://twitter.com/dynamotomusic

http://www.youtube.com/user/dynamotomusic (nothing on there for now)

lDyhn.png

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Flawless new Elite Gymnastics track, "Andreja 4-Ever" is available for free from Adult Swim or just grab it here because the AS site is a nightmare.

daviyoung

Banned
How Clubbing Changed The World - a documentary on club culture/EDM narrated by Idris Elba. Pretty good but definitely British-biased.

http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=488485

It's made for a British TV channel so obviously the focus is Britain. It starts and ends with America though, showing that while house and techno may have started there, it was all sub-sub-sub culture in the US for about 20 years before 'EDM' came around. Which is completely true.

Would have preferred they went down the techno route with the documentary though, the acid house/rave angle has been beaten to death. Would have involved the American scene more that way too.

Shaneus

http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=488485

It's made for a British TV channel so obviously the focus is Britain. It starts and ends with America though, showing that while house and techno may have started there, it was all sub-sub-sub culture in the US for about 20 years before 'EDM' came around. Which is completely true.

Would have preferred they went down the techno route with the documentary though, the acid house/rave angle has been beaten to death. Would have involved the American scene more that way too.
Ah, I was tempted to watch it... but something else on acid house/rave? I don't know if I can be bothered, no matter how good it is. Need a new angle, for sure.

Saw this guy at the noting hill carnival earlier! Such a legend!
rodigan2.jpg
No idea who that was, had to google it :(

Ill Saint

With personal insights and club-raising anecdotes from David Guetta, Armand van Helden, Paul Oakenfold, will.i.am, Nile Rodgers, Goldie, Pete Tong, Katy B, Skream and former Home Secretary Michael Howard
Sounds a bit shite, really. Will (try to) watch anyway.

Shaneus

Ha I totally forgot to put a name! (Sir now I think?) Rodigan
This was from yesterday :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pj6gaIu3mqM
All good, Google image search :)

Reading through that thread on that documentary, it's somewhat amusing to read the naivete some of the younger kids have regarding the history/evolution of dance music. Even though I didn't really get into it until my early teens (when my older brother and sister started going out) I couldn't help but be fascinated enough by it to explore as many facets of it's heritage as I could.

I guess kids are just happy to accept things they're told rather than find them out for themselves :/

Damn kids need to get off my lawn *shoos away with vinyl*

PS. Regardless of the type of set, I still think of a DJ just that little bit less if they don't finish their set with this:
http://soundcloud.com/late-nite-tuff-guy/lovely-day-lntg-remix
I'm filling in for a mate on Saturday night and I know I will be!

gdt

Searching around for some Elite Gymnastics stuff lead me to his Tumblr, and this post.

ANONYMOUS ASKED: IS THE NEXT EG PROJECT GOING TO BE A FULL-LENGTH ALBUM?
i mean the thing i am working on will probably be an album, yeah

the album as a format is kind of weird, i totally understand when people call for the death of it as a format because i feel like it is extremely hard to make 10 songs/40 minutes of really worthwhile music with only DIY level resources, like on one hand DAW software and VSTs and sampling and stuff democratizes music and lets a lot of people with a lot of different viewpoints make a lot of interesting music but the album format and the set of expectations we have about albums was created by the traditional music industry and i feel like it’s pretty hard to fulfill those expectation unless you have the resources that the traditional music industry used to be able to provide when it was turning a profit

like one of the reasons i like coldplay a lot is that they make ALBUMS, they’re like jerry bruckheimer blockbuster summer tentpole events, it’s not just a set of songs, you get like brian eno and rihanna and an orchestra, sometimes all on the same track, they have the ambition and the means and the will to make something that’s big and crowd pleasing and more or less entertaining all of the way through

obviously i do not have access to brian eno or rihanna or an orchestra so it’s going to be harder for me to come up with enough ideas to make something that merits your attention for a significant length of time. i can definitely see how it might be better in the future for bands working at my level to just keep making EPs or singles or whatever and then just do best-of comps every few years to justify press campaigns and major tours

but i feel like i should at least try to make an album, you know? wouldn’t it be kind of lame if i just did another EP? i feel like as a listener that would bum me out. like it will probably be a short album, not that you’d know this from reading the way i write but with music i am a really merciless self-editor and anything i put out is probably hopefully going to be on the succinct side but i feel like it would be really cool for the next thing to be like the first real elite gymnastics album and that is what i am trying for right now.

Sounds like a smart guy. I'm fine with EPs, but I kind of hate single releases. I can't just listen to 1 song over and over, I need something meatier. Shit, even a 3/4 song EP is fine.

EVOL 100%

Searching around for some Elite Gymnastics stuff lead me to his Tumblr, and this post.

Sounds like a smart guy. I'm fine with EPs, but I kind of hate single releases. I can't just listen to 1 song over and over, I need something meatier. Shit, even a 3/4 song EP is fine.

Singles releases have the benefit of releases being much quicker, but yeah I'd like to see a cohesive album sometime too.

gdt

ALSO, going by the Elite Gymnastics tumblr, he put up all their old music in a file. So get that if you want to try them out.

ANONYMOUS ASKED: PLEASE DON'T BE AN PRIDEFUL IDIOT AND LIMIT YOUR AUDIENCE'S ACCESS ALL YOUR RELEASES IN THE FORMER ITERATION OF THE GROUP.

ok ok jeez fine here it is

HTTP://WWW.MEDIAFIRE.COM/?ZD0GLLOYB44D2GR

Haha, I like this guy.

(the art part of the group left a few weeks ago)

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Sounds a bit shite, really. Will (try to) watch anyway.

Well, there's also appearances by Marshall Jefferson, DJ Pierre, Frankie Knuckles, Derrick May, Terry Farley if that makes you feel any better :p It's decent for what it is, a mainstream look back at influential moments in club culture, but it's very British-biased and not very thorough.

Shaneus

Perhaps it isn't really 100% suitable for this thread, but fuck it. I love it too much and I'm too tired to not post it. Shit, I've probably already posted it before, but it's worth posting again because I just found out it's officially LNTG's most listened-to song, at 42k plays since it was uploaded to Soundcloud 22 days ago:
LNTG - Bless the Rains

<3

BeeDog

Hopefully this hasn't been posted yet, but Ta-ku's new album was released today:

RE &#991; TWERK

Includes tons of great tracks, mostly smooth instrumental hip-hop but some trap-ish tunes here and there. Super-great stuff!

okno

Perhaps it isn't really 100% suitable for this thread, but fuck it. I love it too much and I'm too tired to not post it. Shit, I've probably already posted it before, but it's worth posting again because I just found out it's officially LNTG's most listened-to song, at 42k plays since it was uploaded to Soundcloud 22 days ago:
LNTG - Bless the Rains

<3

Hahaha!! Love this guy. He's got such a sense of humor in his edits (Not In Love Anymore is just so badass for that reason). Have fun Saturday! I would love to hear it if you can record it!

Leaving my apartment now for the airport. Next time you hear from me, I'll be in Paris! :D

BWOOD090LP_lrg.jpg

Vinyl Boxset includes 4 x 180g vinyl, including free download code with bonus tracks.

The results of a true culture clash, ‘Mala in Cuba’ marries the intricate rhythms and deep, spiritual roots of Cuba with Mala’s own roots in South London and his dedication to bass culture. Travelling to Havana with DJ / broadcaster / record collector Gilles Peterson and fellow producer Simbad in 2011 – where they were recording sessions for Gilles’s ‘Havana Cultura: The Search Continues’ album at Abdala Studios – Mala installed himself in a small studio across the corridor from the main hub. With a constant stream of gifted local musicians and vocalists passing through, from diva Danay Suarez to the legendary percussionist Changuito and acclaimed pianist Roberto Fonseca, this was a true journey of discovery for everyone concerned. Mala is universally respected as an innovator and leader not only within the global dubstep movement but also within the broader electronic realm.

For Brownswood Recordings boss Gilles Peterson, who famously curated excursions in the spaces between jazz and electronic music whilst at Talkin’ Loud (namely Kenny Dope Gonzalez’s and Little Louie Vega’s Nuyorican Soul project in 1996 and Roni Size Reprazent’s ‘New Forms’ the following year) this is a record that he has dreamed of making: This is the record that reevaluates and realigns the dubstep movement within sound system culture.

Vinyl Boxset includes 4 x 180g vinyl, including free download code with bonus tracks.

Pre-order this item today!
In stock today.
This product will ship from Friday 7 September 2012

£50 with postage.. man that is pricey.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
RA 326: Apparat
http://ra4.residentadvisor.net/audio/RA326_120827_Apparat-residentadvisor.net.mp3

He will be at Electric Zoo this year and I'm very excited to see him, having bought his DJ Kicks on a whim and loving it. Gonna start listening to it after my lunch break. Tracklist looks hot, very nu-disco/balearic in tone... "At The Ranch (Lauer mix)" is a TUUUNE!

Space Dimension Controller - 2257 AD
Pional - In Another Room
Tevo Howard - Spend Some Time
Jacob Mikesh Filburth - At the Ranch (Lauer remix)
Todd Terje - Swing Star Pt II
ZZT - ZZafrica - (Julio Bashmore remix)
Jacques Greene - These Days
Glass Candy - Sugar & Whitebread
Bostro Pesopeo & Pional - Yes
College - Incident
Daphni - Ahora (Margot remix)
M83 - When Will You Come Home
Tahiti 80 - Darlin Adam Eve Song (John Talabot remix)
Zodiac Free Arts Club - Lindos Express
Tim Hecker - Hatred of Music II

Alucrid

Banned
So that sampling thread lead me to a sample of a song I can't remember. It starts with Ashanti's Foolish :36 seconds in. Then the lyrics laid over it are something like "you don't have to tell me this isn't what it used to the last thing that I want to do with you is talk" or something roughly like that. I can't remember if it was in a mix or something....

I think it might be in something by Jacques Greene or maybe CFCF, but my searches haven't had any success.

gdt

Damnnnnnnn that new Scuba track is fire. So he has a few new songs up his sleeve? Fingers crossed for an EP this year, I figured he'd stay quiet after releasing the AOTY earlier.

I'm not understanding that new BR set, is it him and Scuba mixing together, or two half sets?

gdt

The NY scene is fire, shiiiit. I really need to keep more of an eye on it. Rustie and Flosstradamus are playing Webster Hall on the 7th, tix only $15.

Top Bottom