• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official NeoGAF Groundbreaking Electronic Music Thread™

gdt

I like Lone, a lot.

But I think I like the simpler Pineapple Crush Lone more than the super busy tropical vibe Galaxy Garden Lone.

okno

We will definitely need to meet up @ T&W/Bicep, I just got my tickets off RA last night... listened to your last mix on a bike ride the other day, was good!

Oh, for sure! Are you going to Andy Stott/Demdike Stare/Peter van Hoesen the night before? This whole month is loaded with so much goodness! Especially can't wait for Disclosure on the 24th.

Thanks for digging the mix! It was a fun one to make, for sure, hah.

Question for the DJs out there: when playing a 4+ hour set, how do you keep your energy up? I've got another 5 hour set coming up this Sunday, and while they're fun I always tend to lose my steam a bit at around the three hour mark. I do my best to space things out to keep things interesting for everyone and myself, but it isn't always enough. I don't want to be downing coffee/red bull the whole time, and I stopped doing drugs, just need some tips to keep the pep in my step.

Shaneus

Question for the DJs out there: when playing a 4+ hour set, how do you keep your energy up? I've got another 5 hour set coming up this Sunday, and while they're fun I always tend to lose my steam a bit at around the three hour mark. I do my best to space things out to keep things interesting for everyone and myself, but it isn't always enough. I don't want to be downing coffee/red bull the whole time, and I stopped doing drugs, just need some tips to keep the pep in my step.
Well, I'm all out of ideas.

;)

What I'd try and do is think of maybe 10 or so really obscure tracks (that would obviously fit in with the venue you're playing) and space them out during the night. That way you're kind-of forced to think about the tracks leading up to them and from them and the vibe. Just picking those and thinking about them should be enough to keep you on your toes.

But man, not envious at all... 4+ hours is a hell of a stretch, no matter where you are. What sort of venue/event is it?

joelseph

4 hours is too long. I would invite friends out of the crowd to do some back2back mixing. I also have a thing for Monster Ice Tea - Lemonade energy drink.

okno

It's an outside terrace part of a hotel. They have a pretty big brunch every Sunday, lots of drag queens and industry people, so it gets pretty crazy. Four hours is definitely too much, and this is five! I prefer two hour sets, absolutely. I think I'll just have to pop a red bull halfway through and power through. Not a fan of drinking while DJing, so that's out, too (it makes me way too sloppy.) I'm going to just pick 150 of my favorite favorite songs. Make it real special and whatnot.

Still, not looking forward to five hours. Last time, I got the worst cramp in my leg from keeping time...

lush

Church Mix Series 009- Lorca
Lovin' - Andre Lodemann Remix (Best Work Records)
Lorca - Searching (Unreleased)
Jack Dixon - Margarito (Unreleased)
Blacksmif - Microweight (Blah Blah Blah Records)
Dj Ali - Make it hot (Illusion Recordings)
Love Like This (Lorca refix) (Church)
Larry Heard - Missing You ( Alleviated Records)
Trikk - Groovin around (Unreleased)
Crackazat - Tunnel (Original Mix) (Future Boogie)
Lorca - It's Alright (Unreleased)
Aardvarck - Nosestep (Rush Hour)
Unknown - Unknown
Pearson Sound - Clutch (Hessle Audio)

Flume - Sleepless (Shlohmo Remix) // Holy shit this is good.
Flume - Sleepless (Midland Dub Remix)
Melé - Space Jam
Lianne La Havas - Forget (Melé Remix)
Om Unit - Ulysses VIP

Gaslamp Killer Boiler Room Set is a pretty good listen.

Shaneus

It's an outside terrace part of a hotel. They have a pretty big brunch every Sunday, lots of drag queens and industry people, so it gets pretty crazy. Four hours is definitely too much, and this is five! I prefer two hour sets, absolutely. I think I'll just have to pop a red bull halfway through and power through. Not a fan of drinking while DJing, so that's out, too (it makes me way too sloppy.) I'm going to just pick 150 of my favorite favorite songs. Make it real special and whatnot.

Still, not looking forward to five hours. Last time, I got the worst cramp in my leg from keeping time...
Potential idea: How about thinking of it as 2x2hr slots and a 1hr one? If it's a brunch, I'm assuming it starts at 9-10am or so. Maybe keep it ultra casual while people are mingling and eating for the first few hours... some late 70s/early 80s Paradise Garage-esque disco (not too energetic though, this would be ideal IMO... think Dimitri from Paris) which should cover you until midday-ish. From there, for an hour or so I'd rock some more modern, French-style house (Lifelike etc.). Lastly, move to newer, more modern but laid back and deep house (like a lot of the stuff you've been posting recently).

That's how I'd do it, anyway. Make sure you have enough to fill those three "sets" and track order should come to you on the day :)

PS. Sounds like an awesome gathering... I bet it'll be a blast no matter how well you do.

PPS. I've actually done a stint like that for an outdoors area at a club... my feet/legs were fine, but being tall and looking down for that long makes your back fucking KILL. My posture was wonky for a good few days after that.

gdt

How come no one reminded me that the new Deadmau5 album is out today? I know he's not a favorite around here (and he's lost his luster for me too, especially after this thread threw a bunch of new stuff my way), but he's a pretty notable dude haha.

Can't wait to listen.

Duke Togo

Much as I love both Jessie and Perseus, I can't get into that remix. :(

CFCF mix for Ssense:

http://soundcloud.com/ssense/cfcf

Kawai Kenji Unnatural City
DJ Shadow Hindsight
David Sylvian Awakening (Songs From The Treetops)
Blondes Pleasure (Andy Stott Remix)
Nicolas Makelberge/Deep Forest Invasion/Sweet Lullaby
Tangerine Dream/Yoko Ono Mother of Tears
Opus IV
The KLF 3 AM Eternal (Blue Danube Orbital Mix)
Elite Gymnastics h e r e i n h e a v e n 6 (Anime Skyscraper Remix)
Korallreven The Truest Fade (CFCF 2012 Remix)
Octo Octa/Moby Memory Hive
Kuedo/YMO/Harmonizer/Jokers of the Scene/Babe Rainbow/Tricky Truth Flood Suite
Sun Araw Crete
Robert Fripp Water Music II
Peter Gabriel Here Comes the Flood

Cott damn. Thx for this, it'll be playing my office on repeat tomorrow.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Fuck, now I can't go to ANY of the Decibel shows this week because they added me to the work schedule for the whole weekend. :(

Cott damn. Thx for this, it'll be playing my office on repeat tomorrow.

The Tangerine Dream/Yoko track is my favorite thing in a very long time.

How come no one reminded me that the new Deadmau5 album is out today? I know he's not a favorite around here (and he's lost his luster for me too, especially after this thread threw a bunch of new stuff my way), but he's a pretty notable dude haha.

Can't wait to listen.
Yes. I have it, just came from Amazon. Has a Lenticular Cover with Meowingtons. 1st Track was okay, 2nd starts nice. Next up is The Veldt which is so awesome (Also, the story about the making of the song)

Chilly Gonzales' Solo Piano 2 came as well and Kid Koala's 12 Bit Blues which includes a working cardboard "turntable" you can build yourself and a mini flexidisc you can use with it. Awesome!

Waiting for the Boys Noize Album...

Shaneus

I'm not a massive fan of Deadmau5 (I think he's a tool and is yet to top his remix of No Pressure) but a friend forwarded onto me a link to There Might Be Coffee. It surprised me, almost reminds me of classic 90s drivey club tracks mixed with some 80's Moroder. The cheesy synth line doesn't do much for me but the driving synths throughout the rest of the track are really, really nice.

But yeah, that main synth... too much of a dubstep hangover :/

Okay, I've just listened to The Veldt... did he completely fucking rip off his remix of The Longest Road? I remember he went through a phase where everything he did sounded the same... maybe that's back again. Sounds like a very dated track.

But Coffee... yeah, I like that.

Edit: I just read a comment that said it sounded exactly like Prydz/Pryda. Never picked it, but he's totally right. Could easily have been done by Eric Prydz, especially since it's so reminiscent of Aftermath and Frankfurt. Both at least 6 years old, mind.

daviyoung

Banned
Okay, I've just listened to The Veldt... did he completely fucking rip off his remix of The Longest Road? I remember he went through a phase where everything he did sounded the same... maybe that's back again. Sounds like a very dated track..

That's its charm for me. Stuff like Faxing Berlin, Contact, Twilight from the new-trance Toronto set was a glitch in the system and it never really took off so I don't think it had much of a chance to feel dated, just that no-one makes these sounds anymore.

The Veldt's lyrics are about kids imagining their parents getting eaten by lions in a virtual safari though, and to hear such darkness in a pop song on daytime radio probably made me like it more than the music itself. It's a proper anti-anthem.

Jesus you wernt wrong. Had I heard this and not know who made it it would be Eric Prydz..and it pains me to say I like it despite Deadmau5 being a complete tool.

Anyone listened to The Gas Lamp Killers album? kind of curious as his recent boiler room was pretty fun.

Edit: ok so the coffee song has me coming around.. maybe Ill give it a shot. Might be able to wear my deadmaus t shirt again without being embarrassed haha

Shaneus

Jesus you wernt wrong. Had I heard this and not know who made it it would be Eric Prydz..and it pains me to say I like it despite Deadmau5 being a complete tool.

Edit: ok so the coffee song has me coming around.. maybe Ill give it a shot. Might be able to wear my deadmaus t shirt again without being embarrassed haha
We're very much on the same page then! I'm sure we've had our disagreements in the past, but if there's one thing we can agree on, it's that Deadmau5 is generally crap and is everything bad about when nerds make it big, but can churn out a decent song or two once every so often.

injurai

Banned
He's a decent enough gateway drug.
I suppose, but It's like getting some shitty brick weed. My gateway artist into electronic music was Pendulum back when Hold Your Colour came out.

Now I listen to a whole bunch of stuff that escapes the mainstream view of electronica all together.

Production wise? In the Progressive House genre? Artists like?

Anyways, Album is really good.

Perhaps It's just a genre preference that influences my view. I just don't find his music all that interesting over all, and it seems to be overtly simplistic compared to some of the other artists that I love.

daviyoung

Banned
Production wise? In the Progressive House genre? Artists like?

Anyways, Album is really good.

Progressive house:

Bedrock (John Digweed & Nick Muir), Lank, Jody Wisternoff, Guy J, Guy Gerber, Logiztik Sounds, Marc Romboy, Hybrid Soundsystem

Just off the top of my head of recent prog housers. Although calling Deadmau5 prog house is a little like calling Guetta funky house.

daviyoung

Banned
It's a dirty term nowadays, like trance. Progressive house stopped being progressive about 10 years ago. There's still fantastic music emerging from that umbrella though, it's just buried by a mountain of cheese and electro.

Progressive house to me is any DJ that can blend a variety of techno and house styles.

injurai

Banned
It's a dirty term nowadays, like trance. Progressive house stopped being progressive about 10 years ago. There's still fantastic music emerging from that umbrella though, it's just buried by a mountain of cheese and electro.

Progressive house to me is any DJ that can blend a variety of techno and house styles.

Yeah I don't even know how to approach that whole genre.

I love artists like Daft Punk, and Justice though I don't know where to put my finger on their genre. I guess French House would be correct.

But your right House and Trance really do bring with them a lot of cheese and poorly executed sound mashing.

Shaneus

Ooh, gateway artists! I like that idea.

If I had to pinpoint it, I'd probably say New Order (as far as electronic music goes) and for actual club/"dance" music, about the earliest act I could name (there were many artists, but usually only good for one track or two) would be Jam & Spoon. Or possibly 2 Unlimited :/

Yeah I don't even know how to approach that whole genre.

I love artists like Daft Punk, and Justice though I don't know where to put my finger on their genre. I guess French House would be correct.

But your right House and Trance really do bring with them a lot of cheese and poorly executed sound mashing.

woah woah woah...woah. Lets not get crazy and say things we dont mean!

Edit: hm well should have read that properly before responding haha.

Mine off the top of my head would be Daftpunk, Moloko (lol), Chemical Brothers, Stardust and similar stuff from that era. Then I fell out of it for a few years and got brought back in via Pendulum and Caspa of all people..

daviyoung

Banned
220px-Now_28.jpg

The Grid - Swamp Thing
The Prodigy - No Good (Start the Dance)
Cappella - U & Me
Haddaway - Rock My Heart
Gloworm - Carry Me Home

Shaneus

220px-Now_28.jpg

The Grid - Swamp Thing
The Prodigy - No Good (Start the Dance)
Cappella - U & Me
Haddaway - Rock My Heart
Gloworm - Carry Me Home
You are a man after my own heart.

The more I think about it, it was basically early 90s because I was lucky enough to have an older brother and sister who went out clubbing all the time. I didn't find out until about 10 years later, but the album that Swamp Thing was on (Evolver) was probably about 10 years ahead of it's time. Probably as impressive as Beaucoup Fish, coupled with the fact that it came out a good few years beforehand.

You're from Texas? That's beautiful.
Open your mind...

joelseph

I'm afraid most of you will have never heard this classic tape. So I bring you a Youtube playlist of the entire thing. The intro is an absolute classic. We are talking moon landing levels of where were you when you first heard it classic.

Thought I was cool as fuck at 13
51XCHYuHytL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Disc: 1
1. Sunrise (bird of prey) - Fatboy Slim
2. Groovejet - Spiller (extended vocal mix)
3. Forever man - Beatchuggers feat.Eric Clapton (Fletch's 2 da core mix)
4. Pasilda - Afro Medusa (knee deep club mix)
5. Sunday shoutin' - Johnny Corporate
6. Camels - Santos
7. Must be the music - Joey Negro (club mix)
8. Sexual - Amber (Deep dish cheez whiz mix)
9. Doomsnight - Azzido da bass (Timo Maas mix)
10. Scorchio - Sasha/Emerson
11. Silence - Delerium
12. Caned & unable - Hi-gate
13. Warrior - The Warrior
14. Storm animal - Storm
15. Feel the beat - Darude
16. Kernkraft 400 - Zombie Nation (Dj Glus mix)
17. Can you dig it? - Journey man Dj
18. Toca's miracle - Fragma (Club mix)
19. Loveshy - Kristine Blond (Electrique boutique vocal mix)
20. Revelation - Electrique boutique (Ferry Corsten mix)
21. Power of love - Frankie Goes to Hollywood (Rob Searle mix)

Disc: 2
1. It feels so good - Sonique (Breakbeat mix)
2. Lady (hear me tonight) - Modjo
3. Don't call me baby - Madison avenue
4. You see the trouble with me - Black legend (radio edit)
5. I feel for you - Bob Sinclair
6. Believe - Ministers de la funk feat.Jocelyn Brown (Richard F dub)
7. Bad habit - Onephatdeeva (ATFC club mix)
8. Spaced invader - Hatiras
9. Koochy - Armand van Helden
10. Sandstorm - Darude
11. Sister sister - Sister bliss
12. Jaguar - Dj Rolando
13. Don't give up - Chicane feat.Bryan Adams
14. The return of nothing - Standstorm
15. Why does my heart feel so bad - Moby (Red Jerry's string and break mix)
16. Bullet in the gun - Planet perfecto (2000 club mix)
17. On the beach - York (CRW mix)
18. Time to burn - Storm
19. Freebase - Tall Paul
20. Angel - Fridge (club mix)
21. Hudson street - Agnelli & Nelson (album epic mix)
22. Tell me why - Paul Van Dyk feat.St.Etienne (PvD remix)

That track list haha

Thought I was cool as fuck at 13

That track list haha
Bob Sinclar (without i) :p
Heh, I have half of these as albums. :] I need to make a list. Are there any good solutions to create such a check list? I have hundreds of albums and finally want to have an overview.

Also, has anyone actually heard of Motorbass? The special 2-disc edition of 1996 Pansoul is especially good even if you have the normal Album.

November has too much on! :(
Got tickets to TNGHT live for the 13th, Ive seen Flosstradamus is over here for one(?) show so might be worth seeing? Theres an R/S records night with James Blake etc around the 3rd weekend and then the last System of the year with Mala/Vivek on the 30th.

Top Bottom