• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official NeoGAF Groundbreaking Electronic Music Thread™

bowery

November has too much on! :(
Got tickets to TNGHT live for the 13th, Ive seen Flosstradamus is over here for one(?) show so might be worth seeing? Theres an R/S records night with James Blake etc around the 3rd weekend and then the last System of the year with Mala/Vivek on the 30th.

yeah i saw flosstradamus over the summer and had a blast

Davidion

hymen-y755-x3.jpg

sparkle downer and tilde's revenge

the entire album is insane breakcore, the man is a genius

Interesting, I'll definitely check out. Danke.

bowery

just realized my most played anything of 2012 so far was rustie's essential mix....wish he would put out another mix of any sort.....

Shaneus

I've just realised why we never see trance get posted in here:
1) It's still not groundbreaking
2) This thread exists

I opened up a random link, and holy crap what's new still sound remarkably like this (which isn't even the oldest track I could find... just the oldest I could think of). For a genre that prides itself on progression, it certainly hasn't progressed very far in the last 10-15 years :/

Anyway, that wasn't meant to shit on other genres at all, more to just to express my inability to understand why some people listen to it. My theory is that no-one ever likes trance for more than a year or two... it's a phase. I went through it in the late 90s, some people are going through it now (I guess).

Okay, I need to make this post worthwhile. This is a fucking killer:
Him Self Her - Gone Too Long

That vocal, that bassline... goddamn, so so good. I'm guessing it will get fucking MASSIVE. Reminds me a lot of Maxxi Soundsystem.

This track is good too:
Moonwalk - Girl For You

Edit: Have some more!
Erik Christiansen - Cosmic Girl (Original Mix) (and please, tell me I'm not crazy for thinking that parts of it sound like the Knightrider theme)
Tube & Berger & Milan Euringer - Lovebreak (Original Mix)

I love music :)

daviyoung

Banned
I popped into the trance thread, saw LMFAO being recommended as house music.

CloseLaptop.gif

So here's some new house music:

Circle Children - Indonesia (Stefano Ritteri 'Goes Percussive' Remix)

Submantra and DJ Umbi - Give It To Me (Felipe L Mix)

Mark Henning - Sunday Slide

Bedrock 14 CD2 Preview minimix

and some random electronic stuff

Dark Sky - Shutter Speed

Jus Wan - Sketch 4

Alexander Kowalski - It's Been A Long Way

Blu Mar Ten Music Podcast 2

And a recent mix I did a friend.

1. Medicine Hate - Late Nitez
2. Figgy - How You Feel
3. Fiona Apple - Every Single Night (LOL Boys Edit)
4. Ksoze feat. Joy - Save Me
5. Michael Mayer - Good Times (Smartphone Version)
6. Troy Gunner - Elixir
7. Nathan Fake - Paean
8. Subjazz - Plus Love Minus Cheese
9. Kimp Vasko - Balearia
10. Addison Groove - Melody Maker
11. Hotel Child - Abbot
12. Melja - Trucks
13. Presk - Mold
14. PCM and Manik feat E1 Ten - Changes
15. Ghosts on Tape - Nature's Law
16. Pale - Silverstair
17. Futurewife - It Gets Better (Lakosa Dub)
18. Manni Dee - Shifting (James Fox Mix)
19. DFRNT - That's Interesting

MediaFire Download

This is the line up to that flosstradamus night I was on about. Not a clue who any of the other folk are though.
uk-1123-407763-73560-front.jpg

Ah crap its the same night as the R/S records night and also Machine drum!

gdt

Joy O just doesn't fuck around at the moment. He's on fire. Want an EP from him so bad.

I feel like he really hit his groove in 2011/12.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Kiran Sande from Blackest Ever Black did an outstanding two-hour set on NTS radio the other day; the show archive isn't up on their site yet, but will be at the end of this week. I don't know if it's kosher to link to a stream rip?

Lush was taken in the Creeper photo thread! just a passing comment aswell.
Must be the second time in about a month or so!

Seems they both were. That thread is a real graveyard!

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Thought I was cool as fuck at 13
51XCHYuHytL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

That track list haha

I think I loved every one of those songs back in the day... some of them still hold up due to nostalgia!

I can't really tell you what the first songs that got me into EDM were. Definitely The Orb's albums "Adventures Beyond the Ultraworld" and "UFOrb", and random house tracks I heard on the radio like Missing (Todd Terry Mix) and Madonna's Vogue. Livin Joy's "Dreamer" is another big one. But then it was eurodance when I really started to get into dance music, and "Music Sounds Better With You" was what made me a lifer. Oakenfold's Global Underground - NY and Tranceport got me interested in trance, and Sasha and Digweed's Northern Exposure and GU CDs got me into prog.

It's a dirty term nowadays, like trance. Progressive house stopped being progressive about 10 years ago. There's still fantastic music emerging from that umbrella though, it's just buried by a mountain of cheese and electro.

Progressive house to me is any DJ that can blend a variety of techno and house styles.

IMO the best, most traditional prog (and progressive breaks) is coming out on the Mistiquemusic label right now. For more electro-driven progressive, there's Anjunadeep and for more tech-house influenced prog, there's artists like Henry Saiz, Guy J and basically anything off Bedrock. Too bad beatport fucked the genre over by grouping shitty music like David Guetta and Afrojack in with Bedrock/Anjunadeep/Mistiquemusic/Silk Digital/etc.

I've just realised why we never see trance get posted in here:
1) It's still not groundbreaking
2) This thread exists

I opened up a random link, and holy crap what's new still sound remarkably like this (which isn't even the oldest track I could find... just the oldest I could think of). For a genre that prides itself on progression, it certainly hasn't progressed very far in the last 10-15 years :/

Anyway, that wasn't meant to shit on other genres at all, more to just to express my inability to understand why some people listen to it. My theory is that no-one ever likes trance for more than a year or two... it's a phase. I went through it in the late 90s, some people are going through it now (I guess).

You're not gonna find originality in trance in an Armin set :p Most of the forward-thinking trance occurs in the psytrance sphere. Progressive psy, psybreaks, minimal psy are all some recent developments. I never liked when trance took all those electro elements (see, Cosmic Gate or Jochen Miller) and/or the whiney male indie music vocals (see The Anthem, Nick Chagall) back a few years ago, thankfully trance seems to be going back to its roots a bit.

okno

Solid stuff all around guys. Been digging that Joy O podcast all day, just pure class from him as always.

Absolutely cannot stop listening to Duke Dumont - The Giver. Probably my track of the year, but I'm still in the honeymoon phase so it might change. Absolutely fucking KILLS the floor, played it out to great effect yesterday.

edit: finally checked out "Nature's Law" by Ghosts On Tape, and holy shit. Wasn't feeling it at all at first, but after some time it's really grown on me a lot. The way those chords build and evolve is just so cool.

Shaneus

Absolutely cannot stop listening to Duke Dumont - The Giver. Probably my track of the year, but I'm still in the honeymoon phase so it might change. Absolutely fucking KILLS the floor, played it out to great effect yesterday.
Thank you! That's hot, hot, hot shit. The way the vocal is completely out of time but finds it's way back again... oh, man. And has a very Maxxi Soundsystem vibe, too. (a lot of good tracks these days seem to sound like his stuff!)

Actually, have a listen to this and tell me how similar you think it is.
Chab Feat Jd Davis - Girlz (Chab Sweet Mix)
Dumont's track obvoiusly has a little more complexity to it, but the core of the track is very, VERY similar IMO (not to the point of ripping off, obviously... just that it's funny how music comes around sometimes :)).

edit: finally checked out "Nature's Law" by Ghosts On Tape, and holy shit. Wasn't feeling it at all at first, but after some time it's really grown on me a lot. The way those chords build and evolve is just so cool.
Yeah, I can hear what you mean. There's a lot going on but somehow it manages to perfectly toe that line of being too busy. Probably not good as an early track but definitely one that could be built up to in a set.

Shaneus

Thought I was cool as fuck at 13
51XCHYuHytL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

That track list haha
I just noticed this... I wasn't much different! Though, thanks to older brothers and sisters, I was a few years up on this, but I definitely remember owning (and loving) this one:
I used to frequently get those two mixed up, until I realised there was a pretty major difference between the millennium edition and the annual 2000.

But even looking at that tracklist (of the millennium one) there's actually not a lot I'd be embarrassed to say I like. Hell, I bet I could listen to it now and barely feel the need to skip over a track or two.

Shaneus

Yeah, to be honest I'd have to call the first disc far stronger than the second. The only track I'd realistically skip now would be Better Off Alone, whereas with Tall Paul's disc I'd probably skip four or five for being far too high energy or "trancey". Still some good songs on that one, though (Push That Thing is a fave).

BTW How good was The Launch? Cheesy as hell, but I loved the shit out of that song. (edit: Interesting fact (but hardly surprising) - co-produced by Klubbheads. Fun fact #2: One half of Klubbheads is Koen Groenveld. I can't remember where I know his name from, but I definitely know his name! #3: Klubbheads were also known as Hi_Tack)

I'm going to try and find a download of that CD now. Nostalgia's kicking in :/

Fuck. Edit #whatever: I now know what I know Koen Groenveld from! Wake Turbulence. Well worth a listen. There's probably other stuff of his I know (remixes etc.) but that's the most obvious.

Hahaha this is too much. Yeah The launch was great. That came out in 1999?! I was still In school at that point! Must have heard so much stuff because I used to work in a kitchen as a pot washer and Radio one from 7pm till 1am was golden for dance music!

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Oh man The Launch... never really liked that one. I remember some mashup my friends and I d/led in the golden days of Napster - it was The Launch vs 9PM vs Better Off Alone or something :p

I've heard the name Koen Groenveld before but had no idea he was from the Klubbheads. Oh man I remember finding the import CD single of Discohopping back at Virgin Megastore in Westbury back in the day and being all excited (dance music was such a rare thing in America, outside of the local NY flavor of hard house) :p

EVOL 100%

So FlyLo's new album came out which is pretty great.

I'm thinking of getting it on vinyl, do you guys think I could still find it easily a month or two later?

HTuran

So FlyLo's new album came out which is pretty great.

I'm thinking of getting it on vinyl, do you guys think I could still find it easily a month or two later?

As Johnlenham said, you'll have no problem. They just recently repressed his entire EP/LP back catalogue, so there's no artificial scarcity.

Good album, too!

okno

Actually, have a listen to this and tell me how similar you think it is.
Chab Feat Jd Davis - Girlz (Chab Sweet Mix)
Dumont's track obvoiusly has a little more complexity to it, but the core of the track is very, VERY similar IMO (not to the point of ripping off, obviously... just that it's funny how music comes around sometimes :)).

Well, kiss my grits. That's pretty astounding similar. Rad track, too! Also, thanks for turning me onto Him Self Her, the track "Thinking of You" is just nuuuuuuuuuts!

Top Bottom