• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official NeoGAF Groundbreaking Electronic Music Thread™

accx

New tune from A.N.D.Y.
http://soundcloud.com/a-n-d-y-music/a-n-d-y-featuring-nyemiah

Seems he's taking a step back from Nu Disco and venturing into "old skool" -house?
Nu House is the new shit i suppose.
I love the song, though i wasn't as impressed by his latest mixtape.
http://soundcloud.com/a-n-d-y-music/a-n-d-y-mixtape-eight

EDIT:
Oh i almost forgot!
A friend of a friend made this amazing downtempo remix and it really needs more attention
Alina Devecerski - Jag svär (Svantana Remix)
It's available for download but if you want it in 320 CBR, PM me.

Drop out orchestra's pure sex.

A new one Shaneus might be into; it's such a nice album.

Erdbeerschnitzel - Tender Leaf // "Let Go", "Through the Night"

Erdbeerschnitzel is amazing.

accx

Hey guys. I usually find a genre and become completely obsessed with it for a couple of years and after that i move on to the next big thing.. The plus side of this is that i always feel that i'm somehow on top of things, which also means that friends of mine turn to me for suggestions.
The downside of this though, which i never really thought about earlier, is that i have limited knowledge about artists before ~93, and never been keen on pursuing it.

Being born in '87 i have ample knowledge of the pop artists through 80's & 90's.

My interest for music really kicked in when i first heard "da funk" with daft punk, underworld's "born slippy", orbital's "halcyon" featured in hackers and prodigy's "voodoo people, no good and out of space".
My big sister was a raver in the 90's and thanks to that i was already a music snob before hitting 5th grade :p

Anyways.. I'm looking for some really fantastic artists/compilation albums during the rave era (about '80-'96). Acid house, Rave, Detroit & Chicago Techno/House.
Basically anything after the disco and before the psy/goa trance and happy hardcore.

EDIT:
Sorry for the life story; Here's one of the best songs ever created.
Orbital - Halcyon On and On.

Shaneus

You would be doing well (IMO) to watch this:
4lO18.jpg

then hunt down this:

I don't know how definitive either of them are, but I'd say they're ideal for the era you're looking at.

There may be better choices (in fact, I could almost guarantee you there are) but both are diverse enough to be entertaining and educational.

I'd also recommend hunting down some classic Bomb The Bass :)

accx

You would be doing well (IMO) to watch this:

then hunt down this:

I don't know how definitive either of them are, but I'd say they're ideal for the era you're looking at.

There may be better choices (in fact, I could almost guarantee you there are) but both are diverse enough to be entertaining and educational.

I'd also recommend hunting down some classic Bomb The Bass :)

Crap, i totally forgot about 24 hour party people. It's been in my backlog like forever.
I'll see if i can get a hold of it tomorrow. Seeing as a lot of the artists i'm listening to atm blend disco, deep house and some acid here and there i figured i should really get a better grip on the older stuffs.

Any suggestions on Acid House artists? I pretty much got all the different house sub genres down but i never made an effort on acid. Never cared for it much but i want to expand my knowledge.
Never cared for techno a couple of years back but nowadays i love (some of) it.

EDIT:
Regarding Bomb The Bass, is this what i should look for?
http://www.discogs.com/artist/Bomb+The+Bass
Which Album/EP should be the first pick?

Shaneus

I hope that's a compliment! Because I really don't know my way around acid or rave from that era other than what I've hooked onto via documentaries, movies, that sort of thing. I didn't live it, I just retroactively dug as deep as I could :)

Crap, i totally forgot about 24 hour party people. It's been in my backlog like forever.
I'll see if i can get a hold of it tomorrow. Seeing as a lot of the artists i'm listening to atm blend disco, deep house and some acid here and there i figured i should really get a better grip on the older stuffs.

Any suggestions on Acid House artists? I pretty much got all the different house sub genres down but i never made an effort on acid. Never cared for it much but i want to expand my knowledge.
Never cared for techno a couple of years back but nowadays i love (some of) it.

EDIT:
Regarding Bomb The Bass, is this what i should look for?
http://www.discogs.com/artist/Bomb+The+Bass
Which Album/EP should be the first pick?
As for the older stuff, that soundtrack is the only compilation I could think of that'd be also used as a good history lesson. You don't need to see the movie to enjoy the OST, so maybe hunt that down first. Requires less of a time investment and you can have it on in the background :)

As for Acid House acts... I honestly wouldn't be able to tell you. The only reason I came up with an act like Bomb The Bass is because he was seen as not necessarily the first, but the first *popular* DJ to make it mainstream big in the UK (a place I more closely associate with being the birthplace of acid house/rave culture. Whether that's true or not is up for debate, it's just how it works in my head).

When I think of Acid, for some reason all my mind is coming up with is songs loaded with samples, not necessarily ones with sweet 303 basslines, so forgive me if these aren't what you're looking for. I think you'll enjoy them anyway:
S-Express - Theme From S-Express
Eric B & Rakim - Paid in Full (Coldcut remix)
MARRS - Pump Up the Volume
Hithouse - Jack to the Sound of the Underground

Hope this isn't a waste of your time!

Edit: Completely fucking forgot! Into the Dragon would probably be your best bet, but listen to Beat Dis and Megablast*, and if you like them then check out the album :)

*For kicks, just how close to the original the Amiga tracker version was. Still impressive as hell!

Pol_Pothead

Neo Member
Greetings Electronic GAF. Normally only post over on the hiphop side of things but i've lurked this thread from time to time over the past few weeks and figured you guys may find this beat tape I came across today interesting. Was also wondering if towards the year end, if there is some kind of vote for favourite albums, mixes, artists of the year etc...? Would be nice to get some general impressions as I have not really kept up with what has been happening in Electronic music lately apart from the odd mix or song here and there. Anyways this tape samples from videogames and anime and is pretty cool on my first listen through.

Crackzilla - Zilla <3 Japan

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
But if he's played in Canada, then he's played in your continent :)

Oh come on you know Canada doesn't count ;)

j/k Canadians, I love your country very much!

Back to posting stuff!

JOE DRIVE - TEFNUT (TYRELL RE-WORK)

Pete Mccarthey - Department 5 (Steve Mccready mix)
Pryda - Bergen
Henry Saiz & Cora Novoa - Golden Dawn
Guy J - Lost And Found

And also a video of Sasha proving he still knows how to kick serious ass. Martin Roth - Beautiful Life <3:

Sasha Live at Loca Beach Bar Diakofto Greece 2012

injurai

Banned
Greetings Electronic GAF. Normally only post over on the hiphop side of things but i've lurked this thread from time to time over the past few weeks and figured you guys may find this beat tape I came across today interesting. Was also wondering if towards the year end, if there is some kind of vote for favourite albums, mixes, artists of the year etc...? Would be nice to get some general impressions as I have not really kept up with what has been happening in Electronic music lately apart from the odd mix or song here and there. Anyways this tape samples from videogames and anime and is pretty cool on my first listen through.

Crackzilla - Zilla <3 Japan

this is killer beyond belief, thanks for this :D

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member

This song has become my new obsession. Bought his release yesterday and it's top notch stuff as usual.

BTW did anyone go to Prydz' NYC show? I went on Saturday and it blew my damn mind. Easily the best set I've seen live. Didn't hurt that I was literally front and center; I got there at 9:30 to make sure I'd get a good spot.

I saw it when it was in the Uk, yeah its kind of how I envisioned what clubbing is like as a teenage with massive sound systems, lazers/smoke and all the other mad stuff involved.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
This song has become my new obsession. Bought his release yesterday and it's top notch stuff as usual.

BTW did anyone go to Prydz' NYC show? I went on Saturday and it blew my damn mind. Easily the best set I've seen live. Didn't hurt that I was literally front and center; I got there at 9:30 to make sure I'd get a good spot.

Did you see a dude with a bright yellow Pikachu shirt perchance? That was me! It was a fantastic show, I posted a bit about it a page or so back in this thread.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Hey guys. I usually find a genre and become completely obsessed with it for a couple of years and after that i move on to the next big thing.. The plus side of this is that i always feel that i'm somehow on top of things, which also means that friends of mine turn to me for suggestions.
The downside of this though, which i never really thought about earlier, is that i have limited knowledge about artists before ~93, and never been keen on pursuing it.

Being born in '87 i have ample knowledge of the pop artists through 80's & 90's.

My interest for music really kicked in when i first heard "da funk" with daft punk, underworld's "born slippy", orbital's "halcyon" featured in hackers and prodigy's "voodoo people, no good and out of space".
My big sister was a raver in the 90's and thanks to that i was already a music snob before hitting 5th grade :p

Anyways.. I'm looking for some really fantastic artists/compilation albums during the rave era (about '80-'96). Acid house, Rave, Detroit & Chicago Techno/House.
Basically anything after the disco and before the psy/goa trance and happy hardcore.

EDIT:
Sorry for the life story; Here's one of the best songs ever created.
Orbital - Halcyon On and On.

Perfect music taste in my opinion :)

Just don't forget Joy Division.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Did you see a dude with a bright yellow Pikachu shirt perchance? That was me! It was a fantastic show, I posted a bit about it a page or so back in this thread.

Haha umm I don't recall. Were you up near the front? Truth be told I didn't do much looking at the crowd lol.

bowery

so there is this japanese podcast blog i have recently discovered and this is its latest mix give it a listen its really quite good i spotted stuff from the death note soundtrack in there it was great

kidsuke mix

tracklist:
1. Aphex Twin / Jynweythek Ylow
2. Shlohmo / Empty Pools
3. Ras G / Plates and Forks (The PAF)
4. Kidsuke / Ghostgirl
5. YoggyOne / Paper Airplane To Bestown
6. Yosi Horikawa / Dots
7. Kidsuke / School Chimes
8. Kidkanevil / J-pop
9. Groundislava / Animal (Young Montana? Remix)
10. Gold Panda / QUITTER&#8217;S RAGA
11. Tycho / Adrift (Shigeto&#8217;s Adrift a Dream Remix)
12. Ta-Ku / Slow Down
13. Kidkanevil / words and spit
14. Atom Heart / Naturalist #17
15. Photek / Ni Ten Ichi Ryu (Two Swords Technique)
16. Aphex Twin / Nannou

injurai

Banned
so there is this japanese podcast blog i have recently discovered and this is its latest mix give it a listen its really quite good i spotted stuff from the death note soundtrack in there it was great

kidsuke mix

Oh wow, this line up looks great. I'll have to give it a listen tomorrow when I'm not bushed.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Sweet, will check them out.

Also, original mix >>> Shinichi Osawa remix. I suppose it's a good remix if you *have* to remix it, but it didn't need it.

Yeah, Popper was just one of those tunes that wasn't worth remixing unless you completely changed it. It was basically the same, just not as good. Speaking of better things, this is an amazing remix of Personal Jesus:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e92DP-j23og

Reminds me of what was done to New Order's Confusion for the Pump Panel Reconstruction remix that Blade made famous.

lush

Nice little set so far. Really hoping his new LP continues where he left off with Freaking Out which was one of my favorite things from last year, his earlier stuff was just so-so to me. Love to see his Les Sins sound come in to play as well.

edit: lawd at this crowd....

Top Bottom