• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official NeoGAF Groundbreaking Electronic Music Thread™

Nyx

I'm thinking of making a thread for a mix swap, similar to the secret Santa thread. Anyone here interested in that? We did it last year and it was pretty successful.

Sounds like a plan, maybe it will motivate me to make a new one, it's been over half a year.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
LMAO...

poll.jpg

ROFLMAO, I'll admit I laughed when Tenaglia said "Be yourself". And the best thing is, the RA Top 100 DJ poll is up.

Hawtin hit #2

I'll be in for the mix, even if it'll be a bit more conservative compared to what many in the thread are into lately.

Thought I was on the first page again! 15th is my weekend off. Going to be a mad Friday an Saturday this week.

My scuba comment was directed at the "I don't see why people like him" one further up. It was early and I'm on my phone so I may have miss read.

Friends just dropped £400 on a trakktor S2 and he's never done a mix in his life : ah to have money :(

BeeDog

Dunno if this was posted, but an excellent compilation was released on Bandcamp yesterday:

Percussion Lab presents: Cambio

Just check the tracklist, zomg:

1. Shigeto - Friends and Lovers 05:16
2. Machinedrum - Demvibez 05:15
3. XI - Villain 05:31
4. Mux Mool - Sympathy 03:54
5. Daedelus - RandD 04:09
6. Calmer - Spirograph 05:11
7. Archie Pelago - Brewer's Reflection 04:34
8. Ezekiel Honig - Plastic Rumblings 03:41
9. Handshake - Lao 04:02
10. RJ Valeo - You're the One 03:47
11. Sepalcure - All You've Got To Lose 03:45
12. Contakt - Drift 06:17
13. Enoe - The Craze 06:09
14. Lando Kal - Cube 06:38
15. Braille - Rise 05:31

lush

XLR8R Podcast 276: Disclosure

01 JayLotus "1945"
02 Medlar "Govern" (Wolf)
03 Inner City "Ahnongay" (KMS)
04 Letherette "Warstones" (Ninja Tune)
05 Native Soul feat. Trey Washington "A New Day (Spencer Parker's a Gun for Hire Remix)" (Defected)
06 Janet Jackson feat. Nelly "Call on Me (Disclosure Bootleg)"
07 Dusky "Dummy"
08 Eli Escobar feat. Lindsey Caldwell "I Believe" (Dither Down)
09 Jordan Peak "Pass the Roach" (Robsoul)
10 Disclosure "What's in Your Head VIP"
11 Jeremy Sylvester "If You Want Me" (Urban Dubz)
12 Jhelisa "Friendly Pressure (From Midnight Mix)" (Dorado)
13 Eats Everything "Trubble VIP"
14 Shadow Child "The Verdict Part II" (Food)
15 Disclosure "Latch (?? Remix)"
16 Unknown "#52"
17 Leon Vynehall "Untitled017" (Well Rounded)
18 Jessie Ware "Running (Disclosure VIP Remix)"

That Janet Jackson bootleg and Running VIP Mix without interruptions, yasssss.

Shaneus

I'm thinking of making a thread for a mix swap, similar to the secret Santa thread. Anyone here interested in that? We did it last year and it was pretty successful.
I need an incentive to make a mix. I assume it's just a matter of pooling mixes together or something?

okno

I need an incentive to make a mix. I assume it's just a matter of pooling mixes together or something?

I was thinking more along the lines of people signing up and then I would randomly assign them a person. Once everyone has received their mixes, they could then be shared with the rest of GAF. I'd figure out a way to host the mixes online and share them. A physical copy of the mix to the person you're assigned would obviously be preferred, but won't be required. I don't know yet if I'll make it a Secret Santa Mixtape thing, or if I'll just say, "Shaneus, your dude is joelseph, joelseph, Shaneus." I like the idea of getting a completely secret mix from a person much better.

Wow mixing with real gear is craaazzzzzy. We had know idea what we were doing but it was pretty fun.

Ive tried making a mix for a few weeks but If I get some spare time Id be down to give that a shot.

injurai

Banned
I'm also curious about drum machines. I want to buy one, and might just settle on an MPC/Maschine, but I'd like an 8-step sequencer on the machine itself.

Ya I just want to know what are the best, and cheapest machines/controllers/synthesizers to start making hobbyist music, and who knows what lies beyond that...

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Secret santa mix tapes would be awesome.

Also anyone able to answer my question on drum machines?

That'd be pretty cool actually.. I'm pretty sure I'd be able to guess at a few peoples' mixes if they sent them to me.

But yeah would this be a physical exchange? I think that may be a bit cooler, make an album cover and all.

Shaneus

I was thinking more along the lines of people signing up and then I would randomly assign them a person. Once everyone has received their mixes, they could then be shared with the rest of GAF. I'd figure out a way to host the mixes online and share them. A physical copy of the mix to the person you're assigned would obviously be preferred, but won't be required. I don't know yet if I'll make it a Secret Santa Mixtape thing, or if I'll just say, "Shaneus, your dude is joelseph, joelseph, Shaneus." I like the idea of getting a completely secret mix from a person much better.
Ohhh... so you'd send someone a mix physically, but they wouldn't know who it was from? If that's not what you meant, I think I'd like that idea better... and people have to guess who did it (though my country would probably be a massive fucking giveaway as the senders address :/).

Also, regarding drum machines... before I knew anything about anything much really, I bought myself one of these:
kDNlJ.png

Korg Electribe ER-1

I haven't pulled it out in years, but if you're not quite sure just how sequencers work (as in, how the LED chases across, that sort of thing) it's a great little unit to come to grips with. It's capable of some phat-arse sounds as well (which never goes astray!) but never did more than just play with it a little. Fun as hell, though! Should be pretty cheap as well... I think I paid around $200 (maybe $250?) five or six years ago.

I also have one of these as well, but literally have *no* idea how to use it. I only bought it because a mate was selling it for $300AU (which is cheap as hell, AFAIK).
Iu3W8.jpg

Nyx

Ya I just want to know what are the best, and cheapest machines/controllers/synthesizers to start making hobbyist music, and who knows what lies beyond that...

The best way to start is a DAW. (Ableton, Reason, Fruity Loops etc.)
You really don't need anything else to start with.

After you've made yourself familiar with the software, the next step would be a midi-controller. (there's cheap ones from 79$)

A drum-machine is awesome ofcourse, but I wouldn't recommend it if you're just starting out. This due to the fact that producing (house-)music will take a lot of your free time, and it might not be for everyone.

Would be a shame if you invest a lot of money, only to find out that it's not for you in the end.

This all in my opinion ofcourse.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Thought I was on the first page again! 15th is my weekend off. Going to be a mad Friday an Saturday this week.

My scuba comment was directed at the "I don't see why people like him" one further up. It was early and I'm on my phone so I may have miss read.

Friends just dropped £400 on a trakktor S2 and he's never done a mix in his life : ah to have money :(

Hope to see you there!

Mustard Pimp will be awesome live.

thabiz

After you've made yourself familiar with the software, the next step would be a midi-controller. (there's cheap ones from 79$)

A drum-machine is awesome ofcourse, but I wouldn't recommend it if you're just starting out. This due to the fact that producing (house-)music will take a lot of your free time, and it might not be for everyone.

Would be a shame if you invest a lot of money, only to find out that it's not for you in the end.

I'm going to agree with this. I've seen it time and time again. Guys run out, drop mad money on gear, and its collecting dust a year later. Try on the cheapest option first. Make sure its for you first. Once you know that you enjoy it, and are make some headway, then you can SLOWLY piece together some gear.

Im still rocking only my MPC3000 which is 15 years old at this point. Everything else is done on PC.

Try before you buy.

thabiz

Sonae - Quiet VI
bersarin quartett :: rot und schwarz
parks :: the plain
parks :: trains
markus guentner :: talking clouds
shrubbn :: echo 5/3
ólafur arnalds & nils frahm :: stare b1
murcof :: ultimatum
bersarin quartett :: einsame wandeln still im sternensaal
t.raumschmiere :: es fährt ein zug nach nirgendwo
ólafur arnalds :: endalaus II
shrubbn :: echo 8/4
sonae :: traurigtag
soap & skin :: mr. gaunt pt. 1000
36 :: inside
philip glass :: glassworks opening
sigur rós :: valtari
36 :: beacon

das kraftfuttermischwerk - liegestuehlchen
01. Desolate - In Secret
02. Dntel - Bright Night (Robags Kloff Mottüré Mix)
03. Terranova - Midnight Melodic (Chase the Blues)
04. Souls of Mischief - 93 'Til Infinity
05. Submerse feat. Karin Koizumi - Muteki
06. Dapayk, Padberg - Backyard
07. LOL Boys - Changes (Shlohmo Remix)
08. Homeboy feat. Anshie - Halfway (Youandewan Version)
09. Youandewan - Zeal
10. Rodriguez Jr. - Bare
11. Andrea - Work the Middle
12. Shed - The Bot
13. Kryptic Minds feat. Alys Be - Time Flies
14. Author - In The Sky
15. Gang Colours - Fancy Restaurant
16. Phaeleh - In the Twilight
17. Scuba - Cognitive Dissonance
18. Om Unit - Ulysses
19. Stumbleine - Heart shaped locket
20. Robag Wruhme - Ende

That Om Unit track! Hot DAMN!

Nyx

I'm going to agree with this. I've seen it time and time again. Guys run out, drop mad money on gear, and its collecting dust a year later. Try on the cheapest option first. Make sure its for you first. Once you know that you enjoy it, and are make some headway, then you can SLOWLY piece together some gear.

Im still rocking only my MPC3000 which is 15 years old at this point. Everything else is done on PC.

Try before you buy.

Same here, I started producing in 2008, and since then only bought a midi-controller (M-audio Oxygen v2) which I still use.

It’s been awhile since I made a proper track though, most of the times I start up Reason now I try something new, only to start listening to all the stuff I made in the past years, and then quitting the program. :D

injurai

Banned

Okay what DAW do you think I should try to use? I know they all pretty much do the same thing. I just have a hell of a time trying to learn the software... I have tried Ableton and FL before and neither did I get to a point I could use the software.

I'm not really a fan of house, but I would want something that would be really good for laying out DnB,Breakbeat,Nu-Jazz,Trip-hop. Mostly stuff with weird time signatures are or highly layered drum lines. Also Something that has a lot of built in sound engineering features would be great. I know Cubase was known for its VSTs back in the day, but I really just can't sort through all the difference.

I understand its more important just to pick on and start learning, but If any suggestions can be given I would be highly appreciative.

thabiz

Okay what DAW do you think I should try to use? I know they all pretty much do the same thing. I just have a hell of a time trying to learn the software... I have tried Ableton and FL before and neither did I get to a point I could use the software.

I'm not really a fan of house, but I would want something that would be really good for laying out DnB,Breakbeat,Nu-Jazz,Trip-hop. Mostly stuff with weird time signatures are or highly layered drum lines. Also Something that has a lot of built in sound engineering features would be great. I know Cubase was known for its VSTs back in the day, but I really just can't sort through all the difference.

I understand its more important just to pick on and start learning, but If any suggestions can be given I would be highly appreciative.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=390150&highlight=music+produce

I would direct these types of questions here. I'm sure someone can help you out in there.

okno

I've been messing around with Reason for years and it's pretty simple, once you get the hang of it. It can be overwhelming, but if you just take your time with it and read the included manual it'll slowly make sense. All I know how to do properly is play the instruments; I'm awful at doing anything remotely advanced (such as the Thor's programmer, fuck that thing.) I've never sat down and done a full track on it, however. I'm extraordinarily ADD, so I just get frustrated after about 15 minutes. My issue, also, is that making music on a laptop keyboard doesn't give me the same feelings and satisfaction that playing on a piece of hardware does. I need physicality to really get the feeling I'm making something, I don't know why. Using a mouse and keyboard is a very, very strange way to make music. Anthony Naples does all of his music on a MacBook with Logic, no hardware, so it's definitely possible. (Anyone who hasn't listened to "Mad Disrespect" by him, do it right the fuck now!)

Ultimately, what I think I'm going to do is just buy an MPC for drum functions, and just use my keyboard for all synths/bass. I also don't know if I should invest more time in learning Reason or to buy Logic and spend my time on that. Reason is great, but Logic seems to be more fleshed out.

injurai

Banned
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=390150&highlight=music+produce

I would direct these types of questions here. I'm sure someone can help you out in there.

My question on the subject from a month ago is still unanswered there. I may just go to some site specific for producers and ask around.

Okay, I guess I will focus more on using a DAW before I commit to getting any sort of hardware. Other than using VST's do people usually also use stuff like Adobe Audition for specific sample engineering and editing?

Nyx

That's really a personal matter, I prefer Reason cause it has everything I need and I don't need any other stuff. (like VSTs)

I also like the Reason sequencer better than others, but you could feel very different.

If I were you I'd download some demo-versions, watch YT tutorials, and just start fiddling around.

thabiz

The Horrors - Higher
01. I Can See Through You (Blanck Mass Remix)
02. Monica Gems (Daniel Avery Remix)
03. Still Life (Connan Mockasin Remix)
04. You Said (Peaking Lights Dub U Mix)
05. Still Live (Still Living Still Giving Cherrystones Remix)
06. Moving Further Away (Andrew Weatherall Remix)
07. Comes In Waves (Seahawks Skying Suite)
08. Moving Further Away (Andy Blake World Unknown Mix)
09. Dive In (The Pressure Ridges)
10. You Said (JTC Remix)
11. Wild Eyed (Andrew Weatherall Remix)
12. Moving Into Blue (Seahawks Skying Suite)

GREAT remix album.

okno

Well, if we do a GAF-wide Mixgiving thing, I think it'll have to be up to the person to do either a continuous mix or just a selection of tracks. However, a continuous mix would be preferred, I think we could all agree to that.

Basically, you'll be given a secret person. You can do all the research you want about them. Then, you make a mix! Burn that bitch to a CD, make a slam-banging album cover, and then ship it along. Once everyone has received their mixes, they'll be made available online for all to listen and share. The whole thing will be secret, obviously, so no one will know until the mixes get into their hands. The guidelines will be fairly loose, because not everyone does the same style of mixing or music, so basically just do a fucking awesome mix for your person.

Once everyone has signed up to it, you'll just PM me your addresses, I'll randomly pair everyone together and then send along the necessary information. I'll put up the thread either tonight or tomorrow afternoon, and I'll link to it in here once it's up. For now, I have:

joelseph
Nyx
Shaneus
&Divius
Lush
Johnlenham
Miroku
thabiz
injurai?
djtiesto?
okno

So, start planning out yo shit!

edit: I think it'll also be important to mention if you are US/Euro/Asia/wherever and if you'd be willing to ship internationally. I'm prepared to ship anywhere. Since these are just jewel cases, shipping should be cheap to anywhere.

Top Bottom