• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official NeoGAF Groundbreaking Electronic Music Thread™

Shaneus

Bastard. I need to come to the Netherlands.

Okay, here's an idea. If I took a few weeks off work (have arseloads of long service leave AND annual leave), where and when is the best place to go? Regular club nights, festivals, whatever. I'm over trying to decide which place has the best attractions or scenery, I think I just want to go out in a completely different place for a week or two (or more).
Re-edited ;)

Nyx

Re-edited ;)

Best bet would be Amsterdam ofc.

It's central so you can easily catch the train f.e. to other cool places like The Hague or Utrecht. (for your regular sightseeing tours)

In and around Amsterdam there's at least 1 festival every weekend (!) from half of May till the end of August.
It also has wellknown clubs like Trouw, Air, Studio 80...

Expect :

amsterdamgracht%5B2%5D.jpg

317043046_640.jpg

binnenhof-buitenhof-bezienswaardigheden-in-1(p:location,975)(c:0).jpg

Welcome-to-the-Future1.jpg

3690593776.jpg

trouw3.jpg

Tenten-Festival-Dance-Valley-2.jpg

Oh and some festival links:

www.awakeningsfestival.nl - The biggest techno festival
www.dancevalley.nl - The biggest multi-style festival
www.welcometothefuture.nl
www.soenda.net
www.freeyourmindfestival.nl
www.amsterdamopenair.nl
www.defqon1.nl

okno

Yeah, Shaneus, you'd be doing yourself a little bit of a disservice coming to the states for dance music. It's here, but it's not nearly at the quality of Europe. We've got it pretty good in NYC, really good, in fact, but it's cramped and dirty. If you come, come in the summer when all the rooftop parties are going on.

gdt

Mmmmmmm new Jacques Greene. Need some info on a new EP from him! Though I'm thinking an album is next from him.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Shapednoise mix for Vice is laserbeam-straight up my alley:

http://www.vice.com/it/read/le-venerdi-mixtape-vol110-shapednoise
01. Intro
02. Violet Poison - Psychonight
03. Michael Adrians - Manipulated Living
04. Violetshaped - Anesthesia
05. Ian Martin - Drups
06. Basic House - The four times
07. Keith Fullerton Whitman - Disingenuity
08. Ekoplekz - Neutronik II
09. Karl O Connor & Mick Harris - Narcissus Trance
10. Demdike Stare - Metamorphosis
11. Holly Herndon - Movement
12. Prostitutes - Crushed Interior
13. Powell - Acid
14. Shapednoise - Dsdjkjoi
15. Bee Mask - Pink Drinq
16. Grischa Lichtenberger - 19_91028_v1
17. Richard Devine - Oxin2lin
18. Vladislav Delay Quartet - LOUHOS

Shaneus

Best bet would be Amsterdam ofc.

It's central so you can easily catch the train f.e. to other cool places like The Hague or Utrecht. (for your regular sightseeing tours)

In and around Amsterdam there's at least 1 festival every weekend (!) from half of May till the end of August.
It also has wellknown clubs like Trouw, Air, Studio 80...

Expect :

Oh and some festival links:

www.awakeningsfestival.nl - The biggest techno festival
www.dancevalley.nl - The biggest multi-style festival
www.welcometothefuture.nl
www.soenda.net
www.freeyourmindfestival.nl
www.amsterdamopenair.nl
www.defqon1.nl
Yeah, Shaneus, you'd be doing yourself a little bit of a disservice coming to the states for dance music. It's here, but it's not nearly at the quality of Europe. We've got it pretty good in NYC, really good, in fact, but it's cramped and dirty. If you come, come in the summer when all the rooftop parties are going on.
<3 guys! Conversely, Melbourne is pretty awesome regardless of whether it's festy time here or not. Some of the better acts are actually around when there *aren't* festivals on.

And I'd be happy to put any of you up if the need arose :)

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow

Shaneus

I don't recall seeing it posted here, but holy mother of god... this is hot shit:
Only Children - Down Fever

Gives me a *strong* Linus Loves/Lifelike kinda vibe. To be honest, I miss it when "commercial" dance music was so basic, carefree and capable of putting the "fun" in funky.

Kudos to LNTG's latest mix on his Soundcloud for putting it on there. Such a dreamy, floaty track. I miss the innocence in dance music it reminds me of, we definitely need more of it.

Shaneus

Ummm, WTF?
EXCLUSIVE: Daft Punk to launch album here*
Daft Punk, a French band which has millions of fans worldwide, has chosen to launch its highly-anticipated new album in Australia, with the official global site to be the Wee Waa Showground.
Shire residents older than 30 may have never heard of Daft Punk, but this is an event which will see national media descend on Narrabri Shire, accommodation filled to capacity and draw the eyes of millions of the band&#8217;s international fans.
Narrabri Shire Mayor, Conrad Bolton, admits he thought a &#8220;mate was pulling my leg&#8221; when he received a phone call from Sony Music inquiring about the prospect of the band holding the worldwide launch of its new album here.
But it was no joke, and two weeks ago executives from Sony Music secretly flew to Narrabri to tour the region and inspect facilities to determine if the &#8220;global album launch party&#8221; could come to fruition in Wee Waa.
The launch of the new album, Random Access Memories, will take place during the Wee Waa Show on the night of May 17, and streamed online to an international audience.
Narrabri Shire Council and the Wee Waa Show Society have been working in close contact with Sony Music to make the event a reality.

*Wee Waa, New South Wales, Australia
Ap89YRn.png

No lie, I'm seriously thinking of going. It wouldn't be easy for me to get there, but god damnit... as one of the Australian members in this thread, I feel it's almost my duty to go.

Nyx

Haha Nina Kraviz is getting trolled by Maetrik/Maceo Plex.

(he responds to this movie: http://www.residentadvisor.net/feature.aspx?1765 )

"i finally just watched the infamous resident advisor video about that equally infamous female dj all the boys are crazy over. All i gotta say is i'm so happy blatant uses of sexuality and superficiality can take the place of hustling vinyl and spending countless hours in the studio. Wish i had learned this 20 years ago...i would have spent more time in the gym. (sarcasm ofcourse)
shout out to the ladies playing amazing music and pushing the scene forward with nothing else but sick records and studio time. Cassy Britton, Steffi, Maya Jane Coles, Heidi (official page), Magda (official page), Margaret Dygas, Ellen Allien Official Fanpage etc, etc... GO LADIES!"

And now Nina is angry, poor thing.. :D

Shaneus

Ahaha, that's pretty awesome. Not the best idea to do that sort of thing when one's first language isn't English, though. May not be as adept at interpreting facetiousness.

She's actually really fucking switched on, though. Watched a mini-clip thing a few months back... rarely have heard anyone echo similar sentiments to my own about music.

Nyx

Ahaha, that's pretty awesome. Not the best idea to do that sort of thing when one's first language isn't English, though. May not be as adept at interpreting facetiousness.

She's actually really fucking switched on, though. Watched a mini-clip thing a few months back... rarely have heard anyone echo similar sentiments to my own about music.

I also like the fact Maceo Plex calls out those other female DJs, indirectly saying they are butt-ugly. :D

Nyx

oh wow, read it again and noticed it also hahah. Maceo Plex is such a lulz guy.

He gives them props for ''pushing the scene forward with nothing else but sick records and studio time'' but probably doesn't even realize you can explain it in a way that they are ugly lol.

(Or I just misread it...)

gdt

Yeah she uses her sexuality (I guess if you can call dressing nice and dancing using her sexuality)...but her music (from what I've heard of course) is pretty fucking good.

Just cause she's hot doesn't mean anything. Should she ugly it up or something?

Nyx

I think Nina's sets are mediocre at best.

But also think this whole ''we jelly at her looks'' thing is laugable.

Should she ugly it up or something?

Indeed, but maybe ALL DJs can play with a bag over their head in the future.

gdt

I think Nina's sets are mediocre at best.

But also think this whole ''we jelly at her looks'' thing is laugable.

Indeed, but maybe ALL DJs can play with a bag over their head in the future.

I don't really know much about her sets, mostly her EPs/LP/original stuff. I haven't really dug through it but I will.

miksushag

WAT
Download Over 20 Free Tracks from Jam City

Night Slugs mainstay Jam City has taken to Twitter to offer a package of over 20 unreleased tracks as a free download. Called Memories... Of How it Used to Be, the DJ/producer's ZIP file was posted to SendSpace with the simple message, "Some music for you," so we're not entirely sure when these tracks were made or why they never saw an official release. We do know, however, that they can be downloaded now for absolutely no cost

http://www.xlr8r.com/news/2013/04/download-over-20-free-tracks-jam
http://www.sendspace.com/file/tjqjqy

lush

Yeah, that Jacques Greene x Tinashe track makes for a fantastic collab. He needs to produce for people more often.

gdt

Yeah, that Jacques Greene x Tinashe track makes for a fantastic collab. He needs to produce for people more often.

It is pretty awesome yeah.

But I want more solo JG...now! Ready was awesome and it gets better and better with each listen. Those melodies dig in man.

Concealer too. Its so dark and moody.

lush

I think it's just how much output they've had over a little period of time.

The new Lorca and new Citizen are both really fun. Been wanting "So Submissive" ever since George FitzGerald dropped it on his Essential Mix.

Also, good look on that Ejeca mix for XLR8R. He's had a crazy amount of output too.

gdt

I think it's just how much output they've had over a little period of time.

The new Lorca and new Citizen are both really fun. Been wanting "So Submissive" ever since George FitzGerald dropped it on his Essential Mix.

Also, good look on that Ejeca mix for XLR8R. He's had a crazy amount of output too.

Yeah, W&O have put out a HUGE ammount of music in a short time. We'll see them grown and change a bit like we've seen Bicep and Ejeca (check out Frequency EP!) do.

Don't talk to me about Citizen...his Trax EP is vinyl only and I can't even find it using other methods. FU Vinyl only.

lush

WAT
Download Over 20 Free Tracks from Jam City

Night Slugs mainstay Jam City has taken to Twitter to offer a package of over 20 unreleased tracks as a free download. Called Memories... Of How it Used to Be, the DJ/producer's ZIP file was posted to SendSpace with the simple message, "Some music for you," so we're not entirely sure when these tracks were made or why they never saw an official release. We do know, however, that they can be downloaded now for absolutely no cost

http://www.xlr8r.com/news/2013/04/download-over-20-free-tracks-jam
http://www.sendspace.com/file/tjqjqy

http://www.sendspace.com/file/0c3k62
http://www.sendspace.com/file/mni6by

Top Bottom