• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official NeoGAF Groundbreaking Electronic Music Thread™

I was following along Mutek all weekend. Wish I could have gone, I heard it was absolutely brilliant this year.

Well, I am sorry to add to your disappointment, but yeah, it actually was epic.

But there are some very interesting concerts in Montreal in the next weeks, no worries :)

Servbot24

Banned
i thought the disclosure was going to be your typical overhyped trendy thing, but i am actually enjoying this a ton. hell of a lot better than your typical james blake shit. 6 tracks in, no major complaints.

okno

Disclosure's album is definitely solid, but I found myself getting bored by the end. Doesn't diminish the overall impact of the album for me, as its just good fun, but it's a classic tale of people overlooking the bad and blowing it up. Once the high dies down, the backlash will be severe. It's the same for any album like this, and it's a shame because it diminishes the overall value of the work. It's a solid 7/10 for me, I'll be bumping "white noise" and "f for you" for months to come (and "latch", I adore that song, fuck the haters,) but its mostly just silly fun pop jams. Nothing wrong with that at all, it's just not going to be an album ill be returning to, personally.

That said, I have a ton of respect for the kids. They have ridden this wave to stardom quite well and have kept their vision firmly in place the entire time.

The P4K review is a classic P4K review. This time next year they'll be tearing the guys apart. P4K's BNM is the cocaine of new releases, it's good for a quick high but the crash is harsh.

Disclosure's album is definitely solid, but I found myself getting bored by the end. Doesn't diminish the overall impact of the album for me, as its just good fun, but it's a classic tale of people overlooking the bad and blowing it up. Once the high dies down, the backlash will be severe. It's the same for any album like this, and it's a shame because it diminishes the overall value of the work. It's a solid 7/10 for me, I'll be bumping "white noise" and "f for you" for months to come (and "latch", I adore that song, fuck the haters,) but its mostly just silly fun pop jams. Nothing wrong with that at all, it's just not going to be an album ill be returning to, personally.

That said, I have a ton of respect for the kids. They have ridden this wave to stardom quite well and have kept their vision firmly in place the entire time.

The P4K review is a classic P4K review. This time next year they'll be tearing the guys apart. P4K's BNM is the cocaine of new releases, it's good for a quick high but the crash is harsh.

LOL, what would you consider the real deal then?

okno

LOL, what would you consider the real deal then?

In the 10 years I've known Pitchfork, it's the biggest complaint about them. They're known to over hype albums and then later talk down on them. 'Settle' might end up being an exception, but we'll just have to wait and see. Their review doesn't affect anyone here, clearly, I'm just saying. I don't hold any one music review outlet above another, because I, personally, only take reviews at face value and then make my own judgements. I've learned my lesson from taking reviewer's words to heart.

bomma_man

Man, the debauchery, the lights, the music that must've filled that place over it's lifetime, holy shit. If they invent time machines, that's where/when I'm headed, first stop.

The strange thing is with some of those venues, is you see inside when they're kind of empty and somewhat lit up, they rarely look all that special. But you add the music and the energy of the people, the actual room itself becomes irrelevant.

Man, I wish clubbing was like that these days, when there was such a clear disconnect between one's clubbing life and their day job... this secret society with a wink, a handshake, a knowing, wry smile and subtle nod.

Fuck, I need to find a good underground/house party to go to.

PS. There's a guy in the comments asking about a track at 5:30... Shazam tells me it's this. I think it's spot on :D (ugh, there must be hundreds of these fucking tracks from back then that just sound brand new. Maxxi Soundsystem's obvious inspiration, this stuff)

PPS. Oh man, of course on the side there's a link to Your Love by Jamie Principle. Fuck, just hook it up to my veins right now.

Have you been to C-Grade before? It's at least underground in a literal sense :p

Shaneus

Have you been to C-Grade before? It's at least underground in a literal sense :p
I've not even heard of it... I don't think. Whereabouts is it?

The only place I can think of that might come close to a place like Paradise Garage is Poof Doof at The Bottom End. One of the guys who plays there (Gavin Campbell) is a little over 50 and has been playing literally his whole life, never needed a "proper" job. He was also a part of "Filthy Luchre", who did the main remix of Treaty by Yothu Yindi.

Haven't been to Bottom End/Poof Doof yet, but everything I've heard about it makes it sound *awesome*.

I haven't listened to it, but would it almost fall into a similar vein as, say, Little Boots (but with less vocals)? Because that's how you've somewhat painted it, I think. A pop album with a few clubby-ish tracks, as opposed to a clubby album with a few pop-ish tracks.

PS. Today, I learned that "P4K" is the acronym for Pitchfork. There you go.

C Grade is excellent Shaneus, it's under the Mercat Pub near the Vic Market. They don't advertise as much as Animals dancing (the same place), since Animals Dancing I've found is where they book a lot of international acts (prosumer etc).

bomma_man

C Grade is excellent Shaneus, it's under the Mercat Pub near the Vic Market. They don't advertise as much as Animals dancing (the same place), since Animals Dancing I've found is where they book a lot of international acts (prosumer etc).

Yeah this.

Was up in Melbourne last week and went with a couple of mates. Super fun. Dingy little place with a smoke machine and lasers, everyone was on pills (always at least seven blokes waiting on the cubical), solid vinyl b2b techno and deep house sets from Tornado Wallace (who played the Melbourne Boiler Room) and Otologic. Weren't there for long enough (had an exam Tuesday) but apparently they play classic disco for the early morning crowd.

Also been told that Poof Doof is great too. Heard that they had to ban people taking their shirts off after the first one haha.

I haven't listened to it, but would it almost fall into a similar vein as, say, Little Boots (but with less vocals)? Because that's how you've somewhat painted it, I think. A pop album with a few clubby-ish tracks, as opposed to a clubby album with a few pop-ish tracks.

PS. Today, I learned that "P4K" is the acronym for Pitchfork. There you go.

I'd say it's more a dance album that has a enough hooks - and short enough songs - for the mainstream crowd.

Shaneus

This is good news. I can honestly say I'd never heard of them. Do they get many "big name" acts in? Because I normally only hit up the places that do by way of habit (and being in Geelong, need more of a defined reason to make the trip). But if it's awesome enough to go regardless, I might have to make that journey anyway. And make sure someone else drives ;)

Yeah this.

Was up in Melbourne last week and went with a couple of mates. Super fun. Dingy little place with a smoke machine and lasers, everyone was on pills (always at least seven blokes waiting on the cubical), solid vinyl b2b techno and deep house sets from Tornado Wallace (who played the Melbourne Boiler Room) and Otologic. Weren't there for long enough (had an exam Tuesday) but apparently they play classic disco for the early morning crowd.
Just had a listen to some of TW's stuff... very much the sort of stuff I'd love to hear in a slightly ghetto (but not to Revolver levels) venue.

Also been told that Poof Doof is great too. Heard that they had to ban people taking their shirts off after the first one haha.
Haha, fuck yes. I think I REALLY want to go there. Ever since I *really* got into the club scene (very early 20's) I wanted to go to a gay club because I'd heard there was insanely awesome house music. So stoked there's finally one on the radar that sounds like it's worth going to.

bomma_man

It's all local stuff really but that's part of the vibe. I get the impression that it's the local scene's night. Although one of the friends I went with was saying both TW and Otologic are fairly known internationally as party DJs. Think TW had just come back from Europe.

Check out his Coober Pedy University Band (amazing name) side project as well.

But yeah they used to have a standard club upstairs but they got closed down because of noise complaints so everything's in the basement now. You walk down a flight of stairs, hear the muffled banging tunes, then open the big metal door and you're in. Sandstone walls, rusty toilets, crappy couches. It's got a good vibe.

Shaneus

attn Shaney:

Noncollective - Non No. 2

Pretty transcendent listening to this at 4am while getting ready for work. The "chkka chowww" sounds on B1 are killing me.
I like that... it's a really obscure combination of 70s funk and 80s... whatever 80s was. But not like in-between 70s and 80s, but actually adding 70s plus 80s together, which is weird. But I dig it.

B1 is really nice, too. And to be honest, it's probably the sort of thing I was kind of expecting from Daft Punk's album. Something that's a little more modern but still rooted in that era, rather than being strictly "70s only, that's it" (or near enough).
It's a rollerdisco track ;)

Can you remind me when it's up for sale? I have a feeling I'll forget about it, even though it's only a day off :/

Thanks for the heads-up. Normally wouldn't come across that stuff myself, but it's such a cruisy vibe, I can't help but love it. Only shame is that we're almost a week into winter and I just can't "feel" the track like I would if it was summer here.

bomma_man

I meant to quote you btw Shaneus

Edit: can't believe you got into the scene in your twenties man I already feel old and I'm 22. I guess a few years was wasted on electro house though.

Shaneus

I meant to quote you btw Shaneus

Edit: can't believe you got into the scene in your twenties man I already feel old and I'm 22. I guess a few years was wasted on electro house though.
Oh, that was before electro-house. I'm 32 now!

I mean, I was always into club music and such (the amount of people I've astounded with my intricate knowledge of very early 90s club music has blown more than it's fair share of veterans away*), but I wasn't into filthy, grimy clubs (and drugs, let's be honest here) until my early 20s ;)

*How many people do you know who were into Jam and Spoon (1993) before they could legally go clubbing, or wished they were older so they could've seen this and this (both 1994) live? I was fourteen. Sad but true, ahaha

thabiz

Oh, that was before electro-house. I'm 32 now!

I mean, I was always into club music and such (the amount of people I've astounded with my intricate knowledge of very early 90s club music has blown more than it's fair share of veterans away*), but I wasn't into filthy, grimy clubs (and drugs, let's be honest here) until my early 20s ;)

*How many people do you know who were into Jam and Spoon (1993) before they could legally go clubbing, or wished they were older so they could've seen this and this (both 1994) live? I was fourteen. Sad but true, ahaha

youngin!

that new boards of canada. dope.

miksushag

New Lone, hot shizz
https://soundcloud.com/lone-1/lone-airglow-fires

The XX - Fiction (Maya Jane Coles Remix)
https://soundcloud.com/mayajanecoles/the-xx-fiction-maya-jane-coles

RYAN HEMSWORTH in the Mixmag DJ Lab
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwNbs8gWwL4&feature=youtu.be

FADER Mix: Giraffage
https://soundcloud.com/fadermedia/fader-mix-giraffage

DJ Clap – Don’t Tell
Deejay Earl – Tru Love
Discreet Unit – Shake Your Body Down
Logos – Devils (Palace Remix)
Obey City – That Molly
Od Nosdam – OK
Zomby – Aquafresh
Giraffage – All That Matters (Giraffage Edit)
AWE – Eagle Soul
The Dream – I Luv Your Girl (Giraffage Remix)
Ty$ – My Cabana
Parris Mitchell – All Night Long
Cassie – All My Love
Lil Silva – Quest
Slava – I’ve Got Feelings Too
DJ Clap – Unbelievable
リンキン·パンク – trust U

Read more: http://www.thefader.com/2013/06/04/fader-mix-giraffage/#ixzz2VLXx7JrJ

2013-06-02 - Djemba Djemba & Mr. Carmack, Melé - Diplo and Friends
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...riends_Mele_and_Djemba_Djemba_and_Mr_Carmack/
Ludacris - Saturday
E40 - Tell Me When To Go
Ms. Jade - Get Your Big Head On The Floor
A Guy Called Gerald - Voodoo Ray
Sophie - Nothing To Say [Dub]
Zoo Music - Untitled
Goldie Feat. Krs One - Digital (Armand Van Helden Remix)
Mickey Pearce - Numb Nut (Soft Brain) [Swamp 81]
Krueger - Can You
Asap Ferg - Work (Remix)
L-Vis 1990 - Ballad 4D [Night Slugs]
Champion & Terror Danjah - Stone Island
+ Breach - Jack (Acapella)
Boddika & Joy O - Mercy [Boddika Vip]
Armand Van Helden - I Want Your Soul [I Want Your Soul, Southern Fried]
Lil Silva - Shout Out Remix
Lil Wayne - Love Me
Champion - Bowsers Castle
Rachel Wallace - I Feel This Way
Jam City - Banish Him (09' Mix)
Jacob Banks - Worthy (Melé Remix)
DJ Eastwood - You Ain't Ready
Roll Deep - Eskimo
Wiley Feat. Harry Toddler - Donkey Kick
Youngstar - Bumper
Roska - Asbestos [Melé Vip]
Chief Keef - Kobe
Melé - Uppercut Rhythm
Melé - Starfox
Dom Perignon & DJ Dynamite - Got Myself Together (DnD Remix)
Melé - Helter Skelter Interlude
King Tubby - Flag Dub
Rebound X - Show Love
Mike Jones - Still Tippin
Wiley - Fire Fly (Bass Mix)
Melé - Metal Gear
Aaliyah - We Need A Resolution
Melé - Gold Casio
Salva & RL Grime - CliqCliq
Trapmasters - Flufftrap
Melé - Space Jam
Pusha T - Numbers On The Board
Melé - D.M.X
? - Intro
Mr. Carmarck - Birth Control
Major Lazer - Bubble Butt (Neo Fresco Remix) [Mad Decent]
Janet Jackson - If (Kaytranada Extended Mix) [Self Released]
Jnthn Stein - Volume 54 [Team Supreme]
Penthouse Penthouse - When It's Hot [Team Supreme]
Lil Texas - Anyway [Self Released]
Mr. Carmack - Drop (Get Silenced) [Forwardthinkers]
Arnold - Kill Him [Mod]
Djemba Djemba - Stahp [The Melt]
Fki - Dad [Unreleased]
Tk Kayembe Feat. Ke On The Track - Put Em Up [Unreleased]
Mr. Carmack - Co [Forward Thinkers]
Benzel - Falling In Love (King Henry Remix) [Self Released]
Benzel - Falling In Love (Alex Young Remix) [Self Released]
Djemba Djemba - That Money [Unreleased]
Obey City - Sand Castle [Unreleased]
Yung Satan - Being Mine 2k13 4 Real [Unreleased]
Mr. Carmack - 49ers [Unreleased]
Esta - Ignanshxt [Unreleased]
Banks - Fall Over (Djemba Djemba Remix) [Self Released]
Rooster Cogburn - Classical (Falcons Remix) [Unreleased]
Mr. Carmack - Fire [No Payroll]
Death Grips - Klink (Djemba Djemba Remix) [Self Released]
Baauer - Baddest [Luckyme]
Tropkillaz - Imma Rock [Self Released]
Rustie - Triadz [Warp]
Awe - Tank [Terror Rhythm]
Mr. Carmack - Gooo Kind Of [Self Released]
Mr. Carmack & Arnold - Gimme That Muney (Loudpvck Remix) [Forward Thinkers]
S-Type - Sweet Vixen [Finest Ego]
Bukkweat Bill - Baby Talk [Unreleased]
Djemba Djemba - I Just Go [Jeffrees & Mad Decent]
Penthouse Penthouse Feat. Djemba Djemba - Shai Sexual [Unreleased]

In the 10 years I've known Pitchfork, it's the biggest complaint about them. They're known to over hype albums and then later talk down on them. 'Settle' might end up being an exception, but we'll just have to wait and see. Their review doesn't affect anyone here, clearly, I'm just saying. I don't hold any one music review outlet above another, because I, personally, only take reviews at face value and then make my own judgements. I've learned my lesson from taking reviewer's words to heart.

My loling was linked to your funny phrasing, I am not even trying to defend P4K (although I do value their opinion).
I just wanted to know if there was, in your opinion, a review site/outlet that is more trustworthy and do not change its mind like they do :)

To get back on subject, really like the disclosure, although I am really not sure it will still be the case a few days from now... But still, enjoying it while it lasts :)

daviyoung

Banned
A bit late with this.

Sasha @ BBC 6

1. How to Dress Well - Suicide Dream 2 (Holy Other Remix)
2. The Naked and Famous - The Sun
3. Homevideo - Every Love That Ever Was (Sasha Mix)
4. TEED - Tapes & Money (John Talabots Ritual reconstruction)
5. James Welsh - The Way
6. Matthew Dekay and Lee Burridge - Holding On (Dub)
7. Isolee - Allowance (DJ Version)
8. Isolee - Dennis (Ripperton's 8 Wheels Dub)
9. Le Carousel - Lose Your Love (Andrew Weatherall Mix)
10. Keep Shelley In Athens - DIY
11. John Talabot - So Will Be Now... feat. Pional
12. DFRNT - The Way You Look At Me
13. Bicep - You
14. Jack Dixon and Rick Grant - Muted
15. Bonobo - Eyes Down (Sasha mix)
16. Dominik Eulberg - Daten Ubertragungs Kusschen (Sistema mix)
17. Jess Mills - Pixelated People (Hal Incandenz)
18. Agoria - Dust (Rocco Vision)
19. Dominik Eulberg - Offenbach
20. Hurts - Miracle (ThermalBear's 80s ReRub)

gdt

The new/recent No Artificial Colours/Detroit Swindle EPs are awesome.

Along with the afformented Cryin Wolf I was hyping a few weeks ago, this NAC track is the bomb:

Restless Souls

My current rotation is those two plus Settle and After Dark 2.

Shaneus

It looks like they're a physical-only operation, so you'll have to see if a vinyl rip comes online at some point.
Did you see my PM? I heard the original of that Able track and it doesn't even sound like the re-edit did more than some simple resequencing (not even to the point of some EQ tweakage). I'll give it a crack myself (honestly couldn't take that long) sometime this weekend and see what I come up with ;)

Top Bottom