• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official NeoGAF Groundbreaking Electronic Music Thread™

Nyx

There was a liveshow on TV last weekend of the Mysteryland Festival.

Saw Steve Aoki NOT mixing any track, but just throwing cake and champagne in the audience…..

How much would he get paid for the gig? Eazy money…..

There was a liveshow on TV last weekend of the Mysteryland Festival.

Saw Steve Aoki NOT mixing any track, but just throwing cake and champagne in the audience…..

How much would he get paid for the gig? Eazy money…..

Stupid amounts of money 15K+ id guess at.
There was a thing going around at somepoint this year I think, listing all the requirments for Djs/Bands Riders.
Nero had like " a box of beers" which was surprising considering how big they are in popedm world
Where as Steve Aoki had this list of stuff like local weed, an inflatable rowing boat, cakes, champagne and loads of other stupid shit.

Unrelated but I must have listened to Nicolas Jaars latest boiler room show atleast 10 times since it appeared on youtube. Wish I could see him live :(

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Just got home from seeing Laurent Garnier at Output. Two things:

1) Output has the sickest sound system I have ever witnessed in a club. You can feel the bass coursing through your body but the treble is crystal clear, and there is never any distortion. The music sounds sublime in this place.

2) Laurent Garnier is a fucking BEAST. Haven't really ever paid much attention to this guy but hot damn can he fucking mix. As my friend told me today, "I always thought Prydz was the best at layering beats, but right now I have to give that title to Laurent Garnier."

Amazing night all around. Doesn't make up for the loss of EZoo Day 3, but at least something good came out of it.

Nyx

3, 2, 1, FIGHT!

http://twitter.com/DJ_Sneak/statuses/373946140150206464

Joris Voorn
@DJ_Sneak One last word about what happened as I don't like people to be misinformed about something stupid.

Last friday I was at @pacha Ibiza playing after Derrick Carter vs Mark Farrina vs Mr. Sneak. They were playing a rocking b2b2b set they on their two mixers and 5 or 6 cd players.
No wonder there was little space to set up my stuff, and when the Pacha sound guy asked them 10 minutes before the end of their set if he could take away 2 cd players Sneak refused.
Then my manager, who happened to be there, asked Sneak again in a friendly way, but he refused again and said something along the line like: "No, this is our time". When my manager asked him how I was supposed to plug my stuff Sneak's answer was something like "I don't care".
Thankfully Mark Farina was more understanding and didn't see the problem, so I was able to build up my set.

I play countless shows every year, and dj booths are more often than not too small and have too much stuff connected. I've been in hilarious situations, balancing laptops and sound cards on various objects and plugging cables in impossible positions, but always with respect for the dj playing before me, even if it's a 'just' a resident.
The same goes for dj's playing after me, even if they're 'just' a resident, I give them space and time to build up their stuff.

Never have I had a situation like last friday, and to be honest, it wasn't a big deal..
The party was great and everybody played great sets!
Until I read Sneak's twitter message: @pacha Insane good crowd&vibe but the best part was telling a Wanker 2 fuckoff 4 telling us 2 move aside so joris could link his laptop&ipad.

The rest is history, and that book is closed for my part.

lol

okno

Just got home from seeing Laurent Garnier at Output.

1) Output has the sickest sound system I have ever witnessed in a club. You can feel the bass coursing through your body but the treble is crystal clear, and there is never any distortion. The music sounds sublime in this place.

Drink the kool-aid :) The sound is unreeeeeal. It's far from perfect, as a club, but the sound is totally worth any other hassles. Can't wait to see Kassem Mosse on Friday there!

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say

2) Laurent Garnier is a fucking BEAST. Haven't really ever paid much attention to this guy but hot damn can he fucking mix. As my friend told me today, "I always thought Prydz was the best at layering beats, but right now I have to give that title to Laurent Garnier."

Amazing night all around. Doesn't make up for the loss of EZoo Day 3, but at least something good came out of it.

Yeah I saw Garnier in the Sunday School tent and he kicked serious ass... Digweed before him was a MONSTER though. Melodic, glossy progressive house with a few tech influences at the end.

And while we're on the subject, here's an amazing recent Sasha set:

https://soundcloud.com/lanparty/sasha-never-say-never-mixmag

01.Home Video `Every Love That Ever Was`(Sasha Edit)
02.MOTSA `Sleepless Nights`
03.Miyagi `Goodbye Girl`(Fairmont Remix)
04.Henry Saiz `I Can Feel It Coming`
05.Bonobo Feat Andreya Triana `Eyesdown`(Sasha Remix)
06.Chaim `What`s Your Name`
07.Dusky `Mr Man`
08.Henrik Schwarz `Take Words In Return`
09.Henrik Schwarz `Take Words In Return`(C2 Remix)
10.Arthur Oskan `Omegaman`
11.Andhim `Wizard Of Us`
12.Henry Sainz Feat Eloy `It`s Not Over`
13.Baikal `Why Don`t Ya`(Ripperton Remix)
14.Phon.o `Scnn33`

What were your fave sets of EZoo?

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
What were your fave sets of EZoo?

I missed Tenaglia, Digweed, and Garnier at EZoo since my younger brother was in town and it was his first festival so I took him to see all the acts he wanted to see (mainly on the Main Stage). I heard those three had incredible sets. However I really enjoyed Fehrplay's set on Saturday, and Orjan Nilsen was pretty good on Friday. I also liked Madeon and Tiesto's sets.

I FINALLY got to see Cyril Hahn too (I made a beeline for his tent as soon as I got in on Friday), and he was good. Not as good as I expected him to be, but good nonetheless.

So had a house party to go to on saturday and someone got on youtube (not my party so youtube happnes..) and played a song that I had heard in an Aeroplane mix from like 2011.

Used to love that guys mixes, proper summer vibes. So i had a look on resident advisor and it seems hes playing a 6 hour set in a few weeks.
Anyone seen him this year? Im sure it will be good fun but just wondered if anyone still followed what he gets up to and if they had caught him this year.

djtiesto

I missed Tenaglia, Digweed, and Garnier at EZoo since my younger brother was in town and it was his first festival so I took him to see all the acts he wanted to see (mainly on the Main Stage). I heard those three had incredible sets. However I really enjoyed Fehrplay's set on Saturday, and Orjan Nilsen was pretty good on Friday. I also liked Madeon and Tiesto's sets.

I FINALLY got to see Cyril Hahn too (I made a beeline for his tent as soon as I got in on Friday), and he was good. Not as good as I expected him to be, but good nonetheless.

You notice any guy with videogame themed shirts walking around (I had a Recettear and P4 shirt but was a bit disappointed nobody seemed to recognize them and comment)? :p I was at many of the same sets as you - Cyril Hahn, Fehrplay, Madeon and (naturally) Tiesto.

Shaneus

Hasn't Sneak had beefs with other DJs before? I'm sure it's him (and I'm sure he's very much a nobody compared to Voorn).

So fucking jelly.

Nyx

Hasn't Sneak had beefs with other DJs before? I'm sure it's him (and I'm sure he's very much a nobody compared to Voorn).

Yeah he also had beef with Seth Troxler (calling him a ketamine hype) and SHM.

I wouldn't say he's a nobody but he does think of himself he's the bees knees...

Shaneus

Honestly don't get DJ "beefs". Do your own shit, don't hate on what others are doing. Learn from them if you have to, but don't big-note yourself.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
You notice any guy with videogame themed shirts walking around (I had a Recettear and P4 shirt but was a bit disappointed nobody seemed to recognize them and comment)? :p I was at many of the same sets as you - Cyril Hahn, Fehrplay, Madeon and (naturally) Tiesto.

Hmm I can't say I noticed any video game themed shirts or I would have definitely commented haha. To be fair I was generally scoping out the ladies rather than the dudes. :p

Edit: I've been trying to track this song down ever since it blew my mind at Output. Finally found it and man, it's great. Doesn't sound nearly half as good on headphones as it does blaring out of a good sound system though:

Joris Voorn - Ringo

BeeDog

GodDAMN the new Jam City Club Constructions release bangs hard. I thought his album was quite shitty, but this is on another level.

Garlands is my definite favorite on this release.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Fuck me.

lindstrom.jpg

djtiesto

That party looks SICK but too bad I have work on Friday. Gonna hit up Dusky and Miguel Campbell at the Sullivan Room on Saturday - it's gonna be my girlfriend's first EDM show (unless you count Anamanaguchi @ Webster Hall a few weeks ago) so I'm hoping it's a good one!

Also eagerly anticipating Tensnake on Nov 9, and Prydz is gonna be back in town this October.

Nyx

Lief Festival on Saturday, made my personal timetable:

14:00 - 15:30 Ramon Tapia
15:30 - 17:00 Egbert
17:00 - 18:30 Alan Fitzpatrick
18:30 - 19:30 Klaudia Gawlas
19:30 - 21:00 Kevin Saunderson
21:30 - 23:00 Perc

01.jpg

Shaneus

Jesus christ. That's the warmest bottom end I've heard for a LONG time. Gawd damn, son.

Edit: Fuck me, how did I miss this?
Flight Facilities - The Decade Mixes
and it's a few months old, but they released for free: Fleetwood Mac - Family Man (Flight Facilites re-whatever)
also:
Paul Simon - Call Me All (FF etc.)

oh oh oh, one more: Nice little mashie by Aeroplane of a FF track, couple years old but no idea how I missed it :/

Shaneus

Yeah man these mixes are fantastic, and they've been out for a while. I think I may have posted them in this thread a while back actually.
Once I posted them I thought "fuck, I reckon I might've seen these before". But bare repeating, because even through my limited listening tonight they sound rad.

FF should be bigger than they are. For such (relatively) young blokes, they're smashing the fuck out of it.

Given the time of year it is down here, I think those mixes will come just in time for Spring/Summer. Booyah.

miksushag

More in the same vein of those FF mixes

BBC 1Xtra Mix 02: Citizen
https://soundcloud.com/madtechrecords/bbc-1xtra-mix-02-citizen

Soul II Soul - Back 2 Life (Belly Soundtrack Rmx)
Janet Jackson - Rhythm Nation (Instrumental)
Al B Sure - Nite + Day
Madonna - Justify My Love
Paula Abdul - Knocked Out (extended mix)
Sybil - Don't Make Me Over (12" Mix)
Today - Him/ Me
Jane Childs - Don't Want to Fall In Love (Teddy Riley Dub)
Swv - I'm So Into You
Keith Sweat - Keep It Comin'
Portrait - Here We Go (12" Mix)
Chukki Brooker - Turned Away (12" Extended Mix)
Citizen - Glastique (Love Fever)
Adesse Versions - Untitled Love (Prime Numbers)
Citizen Ashworth - Situation feat. Shona Carmen (W&O Street Tracks)

Soul Clap also have a few similar mixtapes, and Kastle has one.

Top Bottom