• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official NeoGAF Groundbreaking Electronic Music Thread™

Nyx

Yeah, I'd never heard of him when he was supporting someone in Melbourne about a year or so ago. Was probably the best of the night.

Might've been Superpitcher? Played in a different area though. But still, shit all over everyone else.
Edit: Was Ellen Allien and Jimpster. Allien wasn't horrible, Jimpster was boring (was expecting something like this :/) but Move D was nuts.

Move D is awesome. A genius in some respects.

You guys probably know this one already, but his Boiler Room set is great as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjoCY3s-Y50

When we have friends over at home and need some background music, this is always the first set I play.

Dreaver

I'm thinking about upgrading my dj set (Numark Pro) in not too long... I'm feeling really restricted, mainly due two aspects: 1) not enough knobs/buttons for everything 2) the pitch slider is really wonky, short and relative cheap quality, it makes it really, really hard to beat match preciously (even moving the slider 1mm can cause a 0.20 bpm difference...).

I've heard good things about the Traktor S2/S4. I (bedroom) dj entirely digital btw. Budget $500ish. Any recommendations?

miksushag

I'm thinking about upgrading my dj set (Numark Pro) in not too long... I'm feeling really restricted, mainly due two aspects: 1) not enough knobs/buttons for everything 2) the pitch slider is really wonky, short and relative cheap quality, it makes it really, really hard to beat match preciously (even moving the slider 1mm can cause a 0.20 bpm difference...).

I've heard good things about the Traktor S2/S4. I (bedroom) dj entirely digital btw. Budget $500ish. Any recommendations?

Yeah, go for the Traktor S2/S4! The most cost-efficient of the current market + it comes with the Traktor software. If you're willing to put more money into it then this one http://serato.com/hardware/pioneer-ddj-sx

Yeah Id go Traktor aswell. I mean they make the software so its pretty much perfect as is and yeah the sliders on the pro are fucking wank. Traktor is like night and day by comparison.

Dreaver

Yeah, go for the Traktor S2/S4! The most cost-efficient of the current market + it comes with the Traktor software. If you're willing to put more money into it then this one http://serato.com/hardware/pioneer-ddj-sx
Yeah Id go Traktor aswell. I mean they make the software so its pretty much perfect as is and yeah the sliders on the pro are fucking wank. Traktor is like night and day by comparison.
The DDJ-SX is a tad too expensive for me I'm afraid. Right now my preference goes to the S2 (I can't justify another $400 for the S4...). There are a few other sub-$400 controllers that seem decent, but quickly scanning through some reviews it seems everyone seems to praise the Traktor S2/S4, it seems the build quality is very good. I have to admit that it doesn't seems to have that many knobs and buttons, but I could always buy a separate device for it.

Hearing that the slider difference is night and day difference makes me happy though!

Pioneer makes some pretty awesome cd-j's. Though I have no clue what their pricing range is.
Honestly I'd love to have two CDJ's plus a mixer. But the cheapest CDJ's I can find are at least $200 per (Gemini CDJ 300, and that's without a mixer) Pioneer are mostly $1000+. I believe I would have more value in a more decent digital controller instead of entry level CDJ's (correct me if I'm wrong)

Going to look around more, but thanks for the input guys. Really appreciated.

okno

I'm currently using the S2 and am happy with it. The sliders are excellent, though the channel sliders could be a little longer in my opinion. The knobs feel great and are responsive, and the sound card is exceptional. The controller has locked up on me on several occasions, though. Turning it on and off will usually fix it, but it's really, really annoying and disappointing.

I'll be buying my first set of CDJs in the coming months, can't wait! Finally getting our own apartment in a month or so which will finally afford me the space. Time to start researching that. The only ones I've used are the Pioneer 2000 and I really don't think I can spend $3,500 right off the bat :p

Shaneus

You guys probably know this one already, but his Boiler Room set is great as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjoCY3s-Y50

When we have friends over at home and need some background music, this is always the first set I play.
Didn't know that already (I honestly haven't looked him up much since I saw him, despite always intending to) but will check it out! Do they normally have those for audio download as well?

Just CD-Js and a mixer are becoming a lost art in the world of controllers.
Sadly, yes. I honestly didn't think CDJs would have such a relatively short lifespan. The 1000s were barely around 10 years, which seems bizarre when thinking about it.

I might be just like the Technics 1200 luddites before me, but I think there's something lost with the CDJs moving from disc-only players to something more akin to a PC-less MIDI controller of sorts.

On a better note though, apparently prices of the CDJ-1000s have dropped significantly in the last few months with a friend of a friend struggling to get rid of a pair for $1000AUD. Having said that, my brother sold his last week with a fairly high-end Denon mixer for $1650 so whatever.

I'm currently using the S2 and am happy with it. The sliders are excellent, though the channel sliders could be a little longer in my opinion. The knobs feel great and are responsive, and the sound card is exceptional. The controller has locked up on me on several occasions, though. Turning it on and off will usually fix it, but it's really, really annoying and disappointing.

I'll be buying my first set of CDJs in the coming months, can't wait! Finally getting our own apartment in a month or so which will finally afford me the space. Time to start researching that. The only ones I've used are the Pioneer 2000 and I really don't think I can spend $3,500 right off the bat :p
As per my statement above, be on the lookout for second-hand 1000s. There's a lost art in carrying around a folder of CDs vs. a USB stick ;)
Failing that, from what I can tell the 900s are almost every bit as good as the 2000s but have the traditional Pioneer display from the 1000s. If I had to buy a new set, I'd definitely go those (but still sticking with my 1000s for life, doubt I'd ever sell them).

Nyx

Didn't know that already (I honestly haven't looked him up much since I saw him, despite always intending to) but will check it out! Do they normally have those for audio download as well?

I don't think there are audio downloads for them, but I could be wrong.

The YT vids are fun too though, it's like having a DJ playing in your living room, you can even mock the people behind him just like in a real club lol.

CDJs are dying because there insanely expensive.
I mean when you can almost buy two second hand Technics for the price on one cdj you know you have problems!
The S4 is probably not worth what youll get out of it imo. Also the lack of "knobs" is because the top the can be changed to something like 12 different types of effects on the fly.

Also this EP is really good. Infact I like nearly everything on Hiven
Kresy-Basement Trax
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=pYIhlKky_wI

Shaneus

That too, but it was a reasonable filter for sorting out the people serious about DJing to those who weren't. Not saying those who were serious weren't dropping cash on cheaper alternatives, but it's always easy to see who cuts the mustard on a pair of 1000s ;)

miksushag

I think what you mean is that CDJs are dying as a consumer product. I have yet to see a club that hasn't at least CDJ 900's as their standard system, mostly it is CDJ 2000's though.

I mean when you can almost buy two second hand Technics for the price on one cdj you know you have problems!
The S4 is probably not worth what youll get out of it imo. Also the lack of "knobs" is because the top the can be changed to something like 12 different types of effects on the fly.

Also this EP is really good. Infact I like nearly everything on Hiven
Kresy-Basement Trax
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=pYIhlKky_wI
what would you recommend?

injurai

Banned
I'm actually thinking of buying a turntable set. Should I get some second hand Technics? I know they have a historical presence... but that's all I really know about them.

I'm doing this for two reasons, one I want to start sampling old records. Two I'd like to be able to have fun with the dying art of turntablism. I just really find midi controllers to be a turnoff. Especially when they are being used as the primary driver.

I really want a CDJ as well though... maybe one day...

what would you recommend?

If you have the money, Traktor S2.
If you just want to trail it, Numark Mix track Pro as they can be got for like £100 or less on ebay.
This is very IMO though.

Yeah as a consumer product for sure, I have no idea though how someone is supposed to learn to use CDJs if they are mad money outside of a club environment.

Saying all this my friend has just picked up a CDJ tonight haha.
Also if you are buying decks, make sure they are DIRECT DRIVE but yeah like thabiz said, Technics are the best bang for buck by far but if you can get some direct drives decks for reaaaaaly cheap they may be worth a go.

injurai

Banned
What exactly is the S2? Is it like a CDJ in functionality but plays off of mp3 files?

Might be worth it since my collection is digital, though I'm really wanting to start getting vinyl, not to mention just practicing the dying art for my own enjoyment.

I think I'm younger than most of you guys in here, but fuck my generations taste in all this new-age DJ, and over-produced synth shit.

What exactly is the S2? Is it like a CDJ in functionality but plays off of mp3 files?

Might be worth it since my collection is digital, though I'm really wanting to start getting vinyl, not to mention just practicing the dying art for my own enjoyment.

I think I'm younger than most of you guys in here, but fuck my generations taste in all this new-age DJ, and over-produced synth shit.

Yeah a friend who had never seen them before described them as "mini cdjs"
You plug it into a laptop, fire up traktor and you load your songs into each side and off you go.
Not going to lie I see them as vastly superior to CDJ, as I see them as the stop gap between Vinyl and full digital.

daviyoung

Banned

giftszz9.gif

Baleoce

Any of ElectroMusic GAF know the best way to buy into the Komplete Native Instruments series?

http://www.gear4music.com/Recording...-Maschine-MK2-Black-and-Komplete-9-Bundle/HLF This is £749 (Maschine + Komplete 9) for website members. Works out about 200 quid better than buying from the NI site. Is it worth waiting for a sale, or is this a good entry method to get me on the Komplete ladder? It also beats NI's own crossgrade discounts for Maschine to K9 afaik.

miksushag

Any of ElectroMusic GAF know the best way to buy into the Komplete Native Instruments series?

http://www.gear4music.com/Recording...-Maschine-MK2-Black-and-Komplete-9-Bundle/HLF This is £749 (Maschine + Komplete 9) for website members. Works out about 200 quid better than buying from the NI site. Is it worth waiting for a sale, or is this a good entry method to get me on the Komplete ladder? It also beats NI's own crossgrade discounts for Maschine to K9 afaik.

o_O That bundle is worth twice as what is priced on gear4music. Get that asap.

injurai

Banned
Nu:Tone and Logistics are brothers, together the produce under Nu:Logic.

They practically defined the sound of Hospital Records.

Shaneus

Also these guys:
sFWLCEt.jpg

But hardly active. And IMO only really had a few good tracks. So basically the only qualifier is that they're brothers, not that they're great.

Baleoce

o_O That bundle is worth twice as what is priced on gear4music. Get that asap.

Well on the NI website the crossgrade total for Maschine to Komplete 9 would be £499 + £339 = £838

And on gear4music I can get them both for £749. It's base Komplete, not Ultimate. But I think outside of sale season this might be my best bet? My original plan was just to get on the Komplete ladder via crossgrade. Not fussed about Ultimate right now, as the extras are things I personalyl can't justify the extra money on, and I was going to get the Spitfire Albion set for orchestral instruments.

miksushag

Well on the NI website the crossgrade total for Maschine to Komplete 9 would be £499 + £339 = £838

And on gear4music I can get them both for £749. It's base Komplete, not Ultimate. But I think outside of sale season this might be my best bet? My original plan was just to get on the Komplete ladder via crossgrade. Not fussed about Ultimate right now, as the extras are things I personalyl can't justify the extra money on, and I was going to get the Spitfire Albion set for orchestral instruments.

Oh ok, I guess I had that ultimate edition in my mind. Anyways, go for it. Native's stuff is always pro.

Baleoce

Oh ok, I guess I had that ultimate edition in my mind. Anyways, go for it. Native's stuff is always pro.

Yeah the last few months I've been using komplete elements along with their audio interface, and it convinced me to take the punt. Really loving these plugins.

Baleoce

Anyone have any suggestions for reliable external hard drives? Looking for about 2-3TB for futureproof storing of sample / instrument collections.

Top Bottom