• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official NeoGAF Groundbreaking Electronic Music Thread™

Servbot24

Banned
not saying you can't enjoy four tet. i do to a certain degree.

i say that most of the sets posted here are of little consequence because they do not present original ideas. they are literally the antithesis of the thread title.

again, you can enjoy unoriginal music. i love coldplay after all. but the artists that should be making headlines are the artists which present new ideas, not those which make bubble bath music.

injurai

Banned
We've already established it's an awful thread title. The people that have stuck around and found community here have decided more or less what get's posted. Typically mixes and podcasts are filled with forthcoming tracks from new albums and are the first places where you could potentially hear some of those tracks.

I certainly think it's a bit of a chore to listen through when the music isn't your forte. It would be nice if more people were interested in plug nights, or just shared what they are currently listening and filling recommendations for others. But people get busy, it's a considerable investment to even hang out in plug once a week.

I've made a considerable effort to get into the music a lot of people like hear. Some months I have less in common with what is coming out. Currently its a draught for all music. I honestly don't know what makes Four Tet so vanilla. Servbot, you're the one who got all passive aggressive when attempting to discuss the most approachable music that is the aoty thread.

Honestly if you're looking for some discussion try to generate it and not bitch that this thread doesn't provide. I had bitched a few times back and it did no good.

Alucrid

Banned
not saying you can't enjoy four tet. i do to a certain degree.

i say that most of the sets posted here are of little consequence because they do not present original ideas. they are literally the antithesis of the thread title.

again, you can enjoy unoriginal music. i love coldplay after all. but the artists that should be making headlines are the artists which present new ideas, not those which make bubble bath music.

so what's the newest in musical innovation that's going on right now?

Servbot24

Banned
We've already established it's an awful thread title. The people that have stuck around and found community here have decided more or less what get's posted. Typically mixes and podcasts are filled with forthcoming tracks from new albums and are the first places where you could potentially hear some of those tracks.

I certainly think it's a bit of a chore to listen through when the music isn't your forte. It would be nice if more people were interested in plug nights, or just shared what they are currently listening and filling recommendations for others. But people get busy, it's a considerable investment to even hang out in plug once a week.

I've made a considerable effort to get into the music a lot of people like hear. Some months I have less in common with what is coming out. Currently its a draught for all music. I honestly don't know what makes Four Tet so vanilla. Servbot, you're the one who got all passive aggressive when attempting to discuss the most approachable music that is the aoty thread.

Honestly if you're looking for some discussion try to generate it and not bitch that this thread doesn't provide. I had bitched a few times back and it did no good.

most of the passive aggressive posting in the aoty thread was done in pseudo-jest but i can see where some might find that irritating

in this case i only chimed in because someone else brought it up

so what's the newest in musical innovation that's going on right now?

i wish i knew man, really not that much at the moment. 2 years ago i was all on actress's jock but honestly ghettoville doesn't push visual stimulation like his previous work did. still good though and warrants more discussion than the 3 or so posts it got. the shackleton ep is quite interesting. last year the knife and m.i.a. records were both ahead of the times, hecker is always worthwhile and moderately progressive and lucrecia dalt is going places. anyways just waiting for someone to post the new shit until i can find it myself.

what i would really like to see out of the thread since interesting music is not always available is a bit more discussion instead of a flood of links and "oh shit dj-blahblah fest 2nite"). which of course y'all are right i need to do my part to foster that

While you guys discuss discussion, I literally just tried to start a discussion not long ago.

Though maybe it was just uninteresting or no one had anything to say.

Servbot24

Banned
so while it's probably old news, I gotta say I've been really getting into Tensnake. He was hosting a sounddrop I think it was called through Spotify, and was surprised to see how many songs I liked (I didn't really give him much thought outside of Love Sublime and No Relief). Anyways, I'm really liking all his colabs with Fiora (and think her best colabs have been with him)

No Relief [Free Download]
Love Sublime (Radio Edit) (w/ Nile Rodgers)
58BPM [video] This is probably my favorite official video of his
See Right Through (youtube link)

Also, I had emailed Fiora to give her some love, and she said there'll be more stuff with him on his record and her own.

had a listen m8, bit straightforward but that has its place, eh? latter two tracks would be great to put on at a chilled party or summin. love sublime would get it a bit jiggy. tracks never go too far but as background music i bet it sounds amazing

gdt

Man, Output in Brooklyn is on fire:

Scuba - 2/14/2014
Adam Beyer - 3/15/2014
Carl Cox - 4/16/2014
Laurent Garnier - 4/18/2014

I tried to figure out a way to see Scuba but it wasn't gonna happen that day. Sucks. But I'd rather see him do a live set where he does only his own stuff.

I don't think he's done that in America yet. Only in the UK and Germany.

injurai

Banned

I'm going to shamelessly quote this. Here's a sampler from it as well.

Fracture - Loving Touch Might be more approachable for the tastes in this thread.
Chimpo - Buzzin' Ft Dub Phizix and Skeptical John, Shaneus... don't you skip over this one.
Om Unit - Timelines I find this to be a masterpiece.
Ed Rush - Mothership From 1996 this one of the slow burn classics.

a0536259342_2.jpg

Dial Down

Quite liked that, pretty chill and interesting to listen to.

Moved into my new place today, got everything more or less set-up

IUsqvuC.jpg

Don't know how I missed this, but I'm loving the setup. Currently my planes to get my SL-1200 are in limbo. Think I'm holding off until I sign a new lease for next year.

I'm going to shamelessly quote this. Here's a sampler from it as well.

Chimpo - Buzzin' Ft Dub Phizix and Skeptical John, Shaneus... don't you skip over this one.

Don't know how I missed this, but I'm loving the setup. Currently my planes to get my SL-1200 are in limbo. Think I'm holding off until I sign a new lease for next year.

Reminds me of Amits stuff
AMIT - Killer Driller

Thanks, I got the monitors at xmas and then I moved into my new place and had room to set it all up.
Im having people over before we go to System (dubstep night) so I will try and get some recordings :)

Shameless repost.

Recorded this earlier, trying to get back into mixing/recording. Working on vinyl mixing but for recording I use traktor as I have more digital tunes.

Anyways heres the link: Dubstep like Mala/Kode9/Gothtrad etc
https://soundcloud.com/johnlenham/pre-system-hype-up

Going to try and mix alot more this week to get back into the swing of it.

i wish i knew man, really not that much at the moment. 2 years ago i was all on actress's jock but honestly ghettoville doesn't push visual stimulation like his previous work did.

Not really, you gush over anything related to him hahaha. Really it should be "underground" not "groundbreaking" but this has been mentioned probably 15-20 times since I started posting in here like i duno 5 years ago or something.

Its your need for the bleeding edge of electronic and dissmivness of everything else that is whats so strange to me, like youve exhuasted your "taste" and youve got no intrest in anything old or different to the track your on.

miksushag

Here's my two cents for the "argument". This thread is anything the posters make it out to be. I know I'm mainly posting new tunes that I know that a few people will be interested in, and the same people post tunes that I might've missed. Mutual benefit here.
Don't have anything against people that are willing to find, listen and talk about more challenging electronic music here, just not my thing at the moment.

To differ from my usual input

Chris Carter - Clouds (1980)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62mJ3E2gHZc

Also, been listening a lot of John Carpenter's soundtracks by the guy himself, amazing stuff for its time and have stood the test of time.

Shaneus

Here's my two cents for the "argument". This thread is anything the posters make it out to be. I know I'm mainly posting new tunes that I know that a few people will be interested in, and the same people post tunes that I might've missed. Mutual benefit here.
Don't have anything against people that are willing to find, listen and talk about more challenging electronic music here, just not my thing at the moment.
I'm the same. I'm not necessarily looking for anything groundbreaking, otherwise the thread would change around so much that it wouldn't be worth staying in here. I prefer "underground" more than "groundbreaking", but the thread's title is what it is.

Also, been listening a lot of John Carpenter's soundtracks by the guy himself, amazing stuff for its time and have stood the test of time.
Hear hear. Carpenter is such an underrated director/composer (either separately or together).

injurai

Banned
I'm the same. I'm not necessarily looking for anything groundbreaking, otherwise the thread would change around so much that it wouldn't be worth staying in here. I prefer "underground" more than "groundbreaking", but the thread's title is what it is.

Hear hear. Carpenter is such an underrated director/composer (either separately or together).

Yup, music is a 3 dimensional world to swim through. You can constantly find new musical experiences if you put in the effort. This is one of the reasons I concern myself with understanding genres, what influences them and what they influences. It's not to limit a songs genre definition but instead to expand the knowledge of how fluid genres and influences can be.

I should listen to more Carpenter as well. I had started to explore David Lynch's music a couple months back. I didn't even know he made music.

miksushag

This is one of the reasons I concern myself with understanding genres, what influences them and what they influences. It's not to limit a songs genre definition but instead to expand the knowledge of how fluid genres and influences can be.

I should listen to more Carpenter as well. I had started to explore David Lynch's music a couple months back. I didn't even know he made music.

Yeah, for sure. One aspect of this is sample digging, I love hearing samples taken from older songs and reinvented to work in a totally new and different song. Aside from electronic music, I listen to a lot of rap/hiphop music, which is more or less based on samples.

Carpenter is aside from the italian horror music essential stuff if you like early syntheziser based movie soundtracks.
Death Waltz is doing and excellent job reissuing essential and more obscure gems from this stuff. I'd recommend all of their catalogue.
http://www.discogs.com/label/406649-Death-Waltz-Recording-Company

Nice. Didn't realize he has an album coming out in April.

Yeah man, going to the album launch in March with Bicep, should be fun.

Cosmic bus is into carpenters stuff based off the vinyl thread, He will probably chime in at some point!

Who would we have to talk to to change it from atleast groundbreaking to underground?

injurai

Banned

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Haven't posted in this thread in a while... though I've been slightly active on the gaming side. Work has been extremely hectic these past few months... but I'll hopefully contribute a bit more in the future. Anyways, I put together a new mix for a Tranceaddict genre competition, where the theme was "sci-fi"... I went in an 80's neon cyberpunk retro-future-that-never-was was direction... Fans of Hotline Miami will probably end up enjoying this (especially since I put a song from that game in the mix). Let me know what you think!

neo-tokyo-outrun.png

Tracklist

1) Tokyo Rose - Vice
2) Converter - Lost Years
3) Nick Force - Faded Love
4) Labtracks - Driver (Domestic Technology's Miami Vice Remix)
5) Mitch Murder feat. EeL - Galaxy Train 1989
6) Lazerhawk - Space Is The Place
7) Perturbator - Miami Disco
8) Power Glove - Motorcycle Cop
9) Kavinsky - 1986
10) Lueur Verte - Night Slasher II (Perturbator Remix)
11) Droid Bishop - Light Years
12) Bestrack - Stamina
13) Anoraak - Nightdrive With You (Grum Mix)

Download

Download Link (Right Click/Save As)

miksushag

MDWWR #81 THE KING JAMES VERSION VOL. 2: The New Testament
https://soundcloud.com/houseshoes/mdwwr-81-the-king-james
In celebration of James "J Dilla" Yancey's 40th birthday,
House Shoes presents the first half of the follow up to his
critically acclaimed "The King James Version" mix, paying
tribute to one of, if not the best producer in hip-hop's history
by strolling through some more of the records that were mined
by Dilla for his productions. From jazz, to soul, to moog and
electronica and more, this mix serves as a reminder to show how
broad the range of music that inspired him was. Taken from all original vinyl. No youtube rips. No mp3s. None of that bulllshit.

J Dilla samples mix. Loved loved loved the first volume. Might not be suitable for this thread as J Dilla is a hip hop producer but its very shady what is considered electronic and what isn't. I mean I would say that DJ Shadow's Entroducing is electronic music.

miksushag

The amount of different "traxx" labels is just ridiculous. My Love Is Underground is another cool little label doing similar stuff to Traxx Underground.
I hope everyone copped this already.

Various - Hardcore Traxx: Dance Mania Records 1986 - 1995

dancemania_vis6-300x297.jpg

John: Recognized that pighead artwork lp. Good stuff imo if you're even a bit into jazzier stuff.

Yeah seems they do loads of rap and hiphop covers and stuff. I cant even remember how I just stumbled upon them but its pretty cool, although a tenuous link to the thread haha

bowery

when are the latest night slugs boiler room sets getting uploaded....need more hysterics in my life, such good workout music

Shaneus

Anyone have any recommendations for places to go around the Dallas/Frisco area? I'll be there in a month and a bit for pinball stuff but if there are any cool bars or whatever to check out, I'd be keen to know :)

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
New A.N.D.Y. mixtape. I'm not really familiar with any of his music but his mixtapes are usually really good.

A.N.D.Y. MIXTAPE ELEVEN

♦♦ TRACKLIST ♦♦

1. Les Petits Pilou : Boombox
2. Rook Milo : Bleached
3. Doorly & Rory Lyons : Le Pump
4. Green Velvet Ft. Kid Sister : Everybody Wants (Acaddamy Remix)
5. ARME : Guatemala
6. Boston Bun : Flasher
7. Catz n Dogz & Eats Everything : Evil Tram
8. Jesse Perez : Thats Real Muthafuckin Talk (Jesses Bump N Grind Mix)
9. Aden : Whip (Jimmy Edgar Remix)
10. Way Back : Freed From Desire - Bootleg
11. Baxta : Dont Say It
12. ARME : Stay Around
13. Jubilee : I95
14. BrokenBells : Holding on for life (Surkin & Canblaster Remix)
15. Pusha T : NOTB (Crookers EDIT)
16. Tensnake ft. Fiora & Nile Rodgers : Love Sublime (Duke Dumont Remix)

Top Bottom