• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official NeoGAF Groundbreaking Electronic Music Thread™

So, something about this confuses or interests me.

I follow future classics on soundcloud, and they had posted Curious by Alison Valentine (Chrome Sparks Disco Remix) a few days ago. I liked it and thought it had an interesting cover art and felt related to Valentine's Day (besides the last name of the artist).
I also follow Shinichi Osawa, and he posted a teaser for his remix of the song today.
And so I decided to look up the original and it was posted on Soundcloud just a month ago.

I don't really know what I'm trying to convey here. (But maybe a worthless story is more interesting for some than a list of Curious songs)

injurai

Banned
Great album. So many catchy songs. They really knocked it out of hte park

To me Drink the Sea was an incredible album, I was already a big EdIT fan. It's one of my favorite albums in both content and composition, just a really great listen all the way through. The songs are complex in their construction and introduced an really neat new sound. I even really enjoyed their single We can make the world stop. I was skeptical though that they would floor me again, I felt that they would appeal to the mainstream edm crowd.

I'm certainly going to give this a few more listens, but on first pass it was not what I was hoping. I was immediately drawn in with my first listen of drink the sea. There were only a few songs that please me. It's quite obvious that they are using some of the must cut of the mill synths and machines on this. It just sounds really samey samey to what every other rookie hype artist can crank out.

Reading comments on other forums its a third of fans highly disappointed with them shirking their sound, another third defending their edm (using the word bro every other sentence, which is odd in writing), and another third desperately trying to justify that the sounds do not fit the bill of the bro-step/edm camp. It's not womp, but it's the same fucking roaring mids that bro-step uses.

Man I've really sort of lost interests in drum machines and synths recently. People do amazing things with them, I'd love to play around with them. But pretty much 90% of what I hear when people tinker sounds really samey. In fact it's the same issue which turns me off from the album I was just going on about above.

Once I move into my new place I'm going to invest in some turntables, foley equipment and an MPC. Much rather play with that stuff.

Shaneus

Man I've really sort of lost interests in drum machines and synths recently. People do amazing things with them, I'd love to play around with them. But pretty much 90% of what I hear when people tinker sounds really samey. In fact it's the same issue which turns me off from the album I was just going on about above.

Once I move into my new place I'm going to invest in some turntables, foley equipment and an MPC. Much rather play with that stuff.
You need at least one hardware synth. Even if it's not to make anything with, then just to tinker the fuck around with. For something cheap and fun, I'd highly recommend the Korg Electribe ER-1:
JpdwJoNm.jpg

At least, that's what I have and it's great to goof around on. Completely different beast from something like an MPC. You can actually get decent results from it too, if you really wanted.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
I like Glitch Mob, Rone, also some Renard stuff, some she stuff. I've been getting into electronic music quite recently still. Can GAF recommend some things I might like?

injurai

Banned
yo I'm serious people, we need to have more representation in plug nights or schedule our own. Shan I know you're australia, but John Okno Thabiz, where are you!!!

And the rest of you that never showed up in the-jamz, try it

yo I'm serious people, we need to have more representation in plug nights or schedule our own. Shan I know you're australia, but John Okno Thabiz, where are you!!!

Im in the Uk man! and ive just moved to London and got a new job with shifts and such.

This week is prob my best time actually as I wont be finishing till 10PM GMT and starting then next day till 2.

If we had an idea of whos in what timezone and how to match it up that might help.

okno

I'd love to do it again sometime soon. I've been busy as shit at work and have been spending all of my free time with my boo or practicing on my decks. Being in NYC puts me in a good spot to meet up, time-wise, so let's do it! Can't do it until next week, though, have a friend in town.

okno

Anyone heard the new Perc album? It's pretty intense.

Pretty excited to grab this. I've been pretty tired of Perc's sound recently, but this new album is great. Even if he tends to just re-hash the same sound in each track, you can't deny the man is a stellar producer.

That said, I just spent a boatload on some new music, so I'm going to be spinning live for a bit. Lots of deep house, dub, and techno: http://mixlr.com/fruitpreservative/

thabiz

Pretty excited to grab this. I've been pretty tired of Perc's sound recently, but this new album is great. Even if he tends to just re-hash the same sound in each track, you can't deny the man is a stellar producer.

That said, I just spent a boatload on some new music, so I'm going to be spinning live for a bit. Lots of deep house, dub, and techno: http://mixlr.com/fruitpreservative/

always when im at work.

okno

please do

:)

Ad Bourke - Astral
Genius of Time - Gliese 581g
Francis Harris - Lean Back
Michael & Mattis - Hoes Before Bros (Genius of Time Remix)
Flori - Dusty Socks (Lowtec Remix)
Desos - Albert Says No No
Vincent Floyd - I'm So Deep
Black Light Smoke - That's My Yes
Redshape - Dog Day
Eduardo De La Calle - A2
Clay Wilson - Socorro
Porter Ricks - Nautical Dub
Joey Beltram - Energy Flash
Samuli Kemppi - Spacing
Och - Sea of Deep
Redshape - Blood Into Dust
Brooks Mosher - Get Ready
Borai - Last Time Out
Mr. G - Ben & Gerd (Killin It M Day)
The Lil' Nick Cru - House Fly
Jammin' the House Gerald - Black Women
Freund der Familie - Porentief (XDB's Reshape)
Outlander - Vamp
Och - Soul Burner
Recondite - Hermelin (Skudge Tribal Remix)
Clay Wilson - E4
Lord of the Isles - Co2o (Extended Cut)
DJ Koze - La Duquesa (Efdemin's Cose Cosi Mix)

Deep, deep, head nodding techno, just how you like it.

joelseph

THUMP

https://soundcloud.com/thump/mixed-by-spazzkid

Spazzkid - Getting To Know You (Snorlax Remix) - This track right here
BMB - FUNK'TWERK
Knight One - Swords Cry [Kissed Records]
Les Loups - Elephant & Ivory (Vanilla Instrumental Remix)
Dam Funk - No More Love [Red Bull Music Academy]
RE:NDZ - Button A Button B [Maltine Records]
Cashmere Cat - With Me (Spazzkid Remix)
Neon Bunny - Oh My Prince [Doggy Rich Records]
Principal Dean - Hide Your Jewelry (813 Remix) [Loveless Records)
Avec Avec - Day By Day feat. Yuri Nakae [Maltine Records]
Spazzkid - Something About Us [Unreleased]

Dreaver

Do you guys know the feeling that you don't have a lot of friends that are into electronic music? I have more than enough friends in general, but I'm always disappointed that the majority aren't into electronic music. Most of the time I can find a few friends that are willing to join, but I'm a little bit disappointed most don't like it.

Most of them would rather sit at the bar all the time, which I also enjoy but occasionally.

/semi-rant

injurai

Banned
:D

That and "Soul Burner" are now permanent mainstays in my bin.

i was jamming to that one

thanks for another set of bangers

Do you guys know the feeling that you don't have a lot of friends that are into electronic music? I have more than enough friends in general, but I'm always disappointed that the majority aren't into electronic music. Most of the time I can find a few friends that are willing to join, but I'm a little bit disappointed most don't like it.

Most of them would rather sit at the bar all the time, which I also enjoy but occasionally.

/semi-rant

One of my closests friends got me into electronica, and we have closely grown together in our tastes. There isn't a single person out there that "gets" this music as much as he does. We primarily listen to a lot of off beat, breakbeat electronic music like jungle, juke, or trip-hop. At the same time we respect each others tastes, but continue to push and challenge each other.

The rest of my friends definitely groove to different music. One only listens to classical, but he's a musical genius. Another mostly is into EDM, but we continue to swap music. One is really into metal, industrial post rock, and folk. We can talk about music for hours despite very different tastes. Another friend is really into indie and folk punk. So overall I think I get a lot of diversity in my interactions. Even this thread can feel like an anti-thesis of my tastes, but that only gives me more chances to be surprised with something completely new.

It sort of helps as a palate cleanser too, and I end up loving my own tastes all that much more.

It used to be me and two others but for the last 3 years it expanded massively as I met up with some people on another music forum I go on and we've all become great friends.
Been to some sick partys and countrys because of it.
Infact we are right at the moment planning to go to Sub Fms 10th anniversary in Amsterdam in May.

My gf and her sister arnt much into "my" stuff but they come to the nights and have fun, a few others are well into their garage and more pop-house.

Top Bottom