• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official NeoGAF Groundbreaking Electronic Music Thread™

Dreaver

Saw Bicep yesterday in a 2,5h set. Was a lot of fun! I expected them to play more 90s / slower house, but they were pumping some hard tech-house. Really enjoyed it. Photo I took (shitty iphone quality):
kPaLdDj.png

gdt

Hmm, I thought that Scuba's new EP was dropping tomorrow , the 24th. But the last XLR8 article says there's no release date yet. Buttttt the one before said the 24th. His twitter is isn't hyping the release much today.

Man what a bummer. I've been waiting like a madman for it. Even speed listened to my current rotation to get it out of the way.

gdt

Waaaaaaaatttttttttttttt? How did I miss this? Detroit Swindle's debut LP drops today! On Dirt Crew.

Boxed Out

1 B.Y.O.
2 64 Ways (feat. Mayer Hawthorne)
3 Me, Myself & You
4 Thoughts of She
5 Monkey Wrench
6 Shotgun
7 Center of Gravity (feat. Sandra Amarie)
8 For The Love Of
9 The Fat Rat
10 He's Just This Guy, You Know?
11 Huh, What!
12 F6
13 You, Me, Here, Now

Man this is exciting. They had a monster 2013. On iTunes, Beatport, blah blah blah right now.

Edit: The Huh, What! EP that came out a month ago was a sampler. I haven't heard it yet, but that does include an extra remix from Lazslo Dancehall. So thats not needed anymore, except for that remix.

baaaaaaa

for the pair? and they look so nice....

I would have sniped them from you if I knew, believe that :p

Ha, well the guy said he listed them for 700 last week and a guy offered 600, he said no and the guy never said anything else and it ran out.
This week he lists at 600 and I said 500, with collection today plus cash in hand and he had a car part he wanted show up for sale so said yes.

They are in a crazy good condition, ones missing the adapter and the cases have one scratch each. Been with my gf all weekend and we had to finish True detective so I only had a play for about half an hour before my mixer started being a fuck bag.
First it worked on master, then it would only out put on both channels on Booth and now Its only doing White channel, switch the cable to a dif monitor and it outpus from that.
Put it in Rec and it outputs on both but then you have no volume control unless you use the ones on the speakers.
Right pain in the ass.
Anyway, need to work out a quick way of getting the lids off as they only go 45degrees not 90, unless im being too careful with them?
e5rmmDq.jpg

okno

Hot damn do those look good. Congrats on the catch :) Picking up a table on my way home from work today! Can only afford one right now, but I'll at least be able to start digitizing my stuff until we move into a bigger space.

thabiz

Hot damn do those look good. Congrats on the catch :) Picking up a table on my way home from work today! Can only afford one right now, but I'll at least be able to start digitizing my stuff until we move into a bigger space.

are you getting rid of the vinyl? or just storing it?

okno

hold on to it.

Oh I am! I'll be using the vinyl to play at gigs. Just picked up a couple of records that'll likely be worth a decent amount in the future. What's the best method to clean them? I went thrifting in upstate NY this weekend and got a couple of really great older disco/house records, but some of them are MAD dusty (no scratches, though!) Got a copy of Ralphi Rosario's A Sexual Factor EP for $2.00.

gdt

New mix and interview with Bicep over at Littlewhiteearbuds. Interesting bit

So what are you working on at the moment?

MM: A lot of stuff. We’ve just finished an EP for [Aus Music labelhead] Will Saul, which is quite a bit faster and tougher than the other ones. And then the next one for our own label. We’ve kind of got a plan of doing 30 tracks in 30 days. Not really to release, more a case of, you know, it’s easy to be precious and spend six months tinkering with stuff. The thing is your workflow’s a lot quicker with all this here. Do you know what I mean? So we definitely could at least get 30 demos pulled togethers. We’ve kind of got a lot of ideas penned down.

Sweet jesus. I'm do down for spring with sweet beautiful Bicep playing in my car with the windows down. Good times.

Edit: This is good too.

So at what stage did you guys feel like you had to go sort of back into incubation mode and get much better as producers?

MM: It was last year that we had that track “$tripper” and “Vision of Love”; it was one of those things that, from our point of view, we’ve always, in our sets, played pretty varied. I grew up on really hard techno, so I’ve always had that love for it. And Andy’s got a lot of old IDM love so these have always been elements of our sets, and we kind of did disco and house and stuff. There was just that little period of six months where we thought we would do a couple of old-school house mixes. And we just had so many tracks that we were making that didn’t sound like that, but the ones that felt like they would work being released was that track “$tripper” and “Vision of Love.” They were just fun tracks that we didn’t think about that much. But then they got released, and suddenly they did well, but then we instantly felt they branded as 90s house revivalists. And for us, it was fine.

AF: It was good; it got us the exposure we needed. But it’s funny how little of that 90s-house sound we’ve ever played. Because we don’t really play that. We’ve played a couple of piano tunes, but I wouldn’t even call them 90s house.

They really did get hit with that tag when they do tons of different stuff. They have an 80's funk EP for christsakes (much to my bewilderment when I first heard it haha)

But they certainly followed that up with Satisfy. Albeit much darker and not as 90's sounding.

Oh shit this just murdered me:

Do you find it’s a double-edged sword in some ways? Because the popularity of that EP coming out, you guys must have realized, “Well shit, we could churn out a few more of these.”

MM: Oh, we had them all sitting there ready to go. If it hadn’t been popular, we probably would have put them out, but because they were, we just binned them all. And I’ve had people [say], “Come on, put them out! Do something!” But we were just like, “You know what? Fuck it.”

AF: [laughs] They were pretty much 90-percent finished tracks.

gimme gimme ;_;

okno

That whole interview was pretty cool. Listening to the podcast right now and it is on POINT. I need that destiny track, like now.

Edit: déjà vu, not destiny.

Holy shit @ 52:00!

Got a bunch of old records through the mail Via discogs, mostly disco and funk and not really related to electronic as such but had to post a pic of this haha. such a tune.
UwXrYkG.jpg
]

Oh I am! I'll be using the vinyl to play at gigs. Just picked up a couple of records that'll likely be worth a decent amount in the future. What's the best method to clean them? I went thrifting in upstate NY this weekend and got a couple of really great older disco/house records, but some of them are MAD dusty (no scratches, though!) Got a copy of Ralphi Rosario's A Sexual Factor EP for $2.00.

I had to discogs it but that Ep is cool, I swear Discogs will break me.

Move D has a lot to answer for in realtion
Liberty City ‎– Some Lovin'

okno

I had to discogs it but that Ep is cool, I swear Discogs will break me.

Move D has a lot to answer for in realtion
Liberty City ‎– Some Lovin'

Discogs is a horrible, horrible website. It takes a LOT of self control for me to not just buy a bunch of stuff every day. I'll go on there to search for one thing and will end up spending 2-3 hours just looking through random things. <3 Discogs.

<3 Liberty City. Hadn't heard "Some Lovin", thanks for posting! Funk!

Discogs is a horrible, horrible website. It takes a LOT of self control for me to not just buy a bunch of stuff every day. I'll go on there to search for one thing and will end up spending 2-3 hours just looking through random things. <3 Discogs.

<3 Liberty City. Hadn't heard "Some Lovin", thanks for posting! Funk!

Just love the whum whuuhum bass line if nothing else. Fuck you discooogggss!

miksushag

L-Vis 1990: Music To... Build Machines
https://soundcloud.com/i-d-online-1/l-vis-1990-music-to-build

L-Vis 1990 is an integral part of the Night Slugs crew. Banging out beats from his New York studio station, L-Vis makes energised, industrial infused, often abstract house and techno music. Need music to assemble robots to? Look no further. This is L-Vis 1990's music to build machines. Turn it up.

"The mix is a journey through a cyborg assembly line. Each new track is part of the construction process until the 'Dead eyes Open' and the man machine is born. "
@lvis1990
facebook.com/LVis1990

Tracklist:
Front Line Assembly - Cro-Magnon
Wolf Müller - Pflanzentanz
D.A.F - Absolute Körperkontrolle
TAGC - Bigsex
Neon - Voices
Cowboy Rhythmbox - Shake (Original Mix)
Front Line Assembly - Attack Decay
Severed Heads - Jetlag (900 Blows Mix)
AudioBoyz - NeWest Funk (Main Mix)
Hysterics - Drum Sequence
Front 242 -Work (L-Vis 1990 Edit)
Veledrome - Capataz
Capracara & The District Union - Nickel Ride (Original Mix)
1000 Places 2 C B4 U Die - Sedition
Chris Haas & Beate Bartel - Choú-froú
Sympathy Nervous - Anatawa Suguni
Mr Mageeka - Different Lekstrix
Conrad Schnitzler - Metal
Thomas Bangalter - Night Beats
Chris Haas & Beate Bartel - Nobody's Perfect
Dat Oven - Icy Lake (L-Vis 1990 Fire Alarm Mix)
Jam City - Her
Armand Van Helden - Necessary Evil
Severed Heads - Dead Eyes Open

Dreaver

Last week I heard a pretty rad (tech-)house track. But I can't seem to find it back. I doubt anyone knows what I mean, but it's worth a shot:

It's pretty slow from what I remember (120-125 bpm), there are vocals and it's a pretty dark song. There are a lot of acid sounds that kick in about after 1 minute (they are really dominant). It reminds me a bit off Apparat combined with acid. I think I heard it in a mix or Boiler Room set or so.

I believe the track name had the words 'acid' and 'indian' in it... I can't find it anymore and I really liked it. :(

Sorry for the vague description, but does someone know which track this is?

miksushag

Last week I heard a pretty rad (tech-)house track. But I can't seem to find it back. I doubt anyone knows what I mean, but it's worth a shot:

It's pretty slow from what I remember (120-125 bpm), there are vocals and it's a pretty dark song. There are a lot of acid sounds that kick in about after 1 minute (they are really dominant). It reminds me a bit off Apparat combined with acid. I think I heard it in a mix or Boiler Room set or so.

I believe the track name had the words 'acid' and 'indian' in it... I can't find it anymore and I really liked it. :(

Sorry for the vague description, but does someone know which track this is?

cobblestone jazz - india in me?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjWpXqJNAmI

bowery

Drip drip drip for the new Jacques Greene EP! A whole month early wtf.

damnit jg was expecting a song hes been playing a lot recently in sets to be on this ep,

it could be out already if anyone can help me id it that would be great

comes in at ~ 15 min here

comes in at ~ 38 min here

much appreciated

Top Bottom