• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official NeoGAF Groundbreaking Electronic Music Thread™

gdt

Thread worthy for me. That new track is amazing and his last album was so good.

He was absolutely amazing live too. Go see him.

andylsun

I'm busy expanding my music library, I'm looking for some more classics. Either those rave anthems or simply fun old school tracks (with a solid, decent beat) to mix into a mix.

Examples (I mostly prefer the old school rave or techno tracks)
Plastikman - Spastik (Dubfire Rework)
Underworld - Born Slippy
Grooveyard - Mary Go Wild

"Fun" / old tracks that are nice to mix
Kenny Dope, The Bucketheads - The Bomb! (Original Mix)
Daft Punk - Indo Silver Club

Also stuff from New Order - Blue Monday, Giorgo Mordorder, Donna Summer.

Any more suggestions for some good classics that people love to hear between all the modern stuff?

You could probably do well with some Orbital.... start with Chime

though I've very partial to Funny Break (weekend ravers mix) - played it for a friend and got her completely hooked on Orbital

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ypai4exl1o

Few others

Josh Wink - Higher State of Consciousness
The Orb - The Orb's Adventures Beyond the Ultraworld, especially Little Fluffy Clouds
808 State - Pacific
Salt Tank - Eugine
Prodigy - No Good (Start the Dance)
Prodigy - Out of Space
Robert Miles - Children
DJ Shadow - Midnight in a Perfect World
Bomb the Bass - Winter in July
Erik B and Rakin - Paid in Full (7 minutes of madness)
Gang Starr - DJ Premier is in deep concentration

gdt

8dba8ac6.jpg

How To Dress Well - What Is This Heart?
out June 23/24

01 2 Years On (Shame Dream)
02 What You Wanted
03 Face Again
04 See You Fall
05 Repeat Pleasure
06 Words I Don't Remember
07 Pour Cyril
08 Precious Love
09 Childhood Faith in Love (Everything Must Change, Everything Must Stay the Same)
10 A Power
11 Very Best Friend
12 House Inside (Future Is Older)

source

Not sure if threadworthy since not that many people will care, previous album thread wasn´t huge either.

The production is much smoother and not as crazy noisy. This album can make something happen. Very accessible.

Divius

Total Loss was already less noisy than Love Remains as well. I kinda liked the noise although on Love Remains it went a touch too far at times, Total Loss was perfect. Love that album. I'm extremely excited for the new album either way.

gdt

Total Loss was already less noisy than Love Remains as well. I kinda liked the noise although on Love Remains it went a touch too far at times, Total Loss was perfect. Love that album. I'm extremely excited for the new album either way.

More excited for that then the new Lone tbh. Hopefully I can see him in Philly again in the fall/summer.

Shaneus

I'm busy expanding my music library, I'm looking for some more classics. Either those rave anthems or simply fun old school tracks (with a solid, decent beat) to mix into a mix.

Examples (I mostly prefer the old school rave or techno tracks)
Plastikman - Spastik (Dubfire Rework)
Underworld - Born Slippy
Grooveyard - Mary Go Wild

"Fun" / old tracks that are nice to mix
Kenny Dope, The Bucketheads - The Bomb! (Original Mix)
Daft Punk - Indo Silver Club

Also stuff from New Order - Blue Monday, Giorgo Mordorder, Donna Summer.

Any more suggestions for some good classics that people love to hear between all the modern stuff?
Ooh, I like these types of posts :)

Gat Decor - Passion (in addition, a killer breakbeat remix: Mr. Ratty - Rat Decor
Jaydee - Plastic Dreams
Sigue Sigue Sputnik - Love Missile F1-11 (Westbam remix) (original was produced by Moroder, so it fits into your criteria :) )
Jam & Spoon - Follow Me (possibly my favourite "rave anthem", I guess)
Cosmic Baby - Fantasia (One half of Energy 52, who did a track you may have heard of called Cafe Del Mar)
Push - Universal Nation (hardly original or surprising, but I always loved it)
DJ HMC - LSD (classic Aussie rave track, HMC now goes under the name of Late Nite Tuff Guy and produces insane re-edits of classic disco/house tracks)
Der Dritte Raum - Hale Bopp (legendary anthem)

There's stacks more, but that should last you a little bit. I could go on for ages and ages, but eventually such a post would end up being a mess of links :/

Just bought a Larry levan remix, just happened to have been repressed at the beginning of March, seems anything else hes done is really hard to find based of his discogs profile.
Man Friday Ft Larry Levan - Real Love (The Paradise Garage Mix
Also this which I seem to have found the last place to buy it.
Stephen Encinas - Disco Illusion
<3 Larry Levan. In fact, anything to do with Paradise Garage I'm madly obsessed with. When Francois K most recently played here in Melbourne (about 18 months ago now?), I kept saying to my friend (about equally as obsessed) "I can't believe I'm standing meters away from a guy who played in the same club Levan played in!". Silly thing to say (and yeah, may have been a tad off my dial at the time, lols) but so true. His set was killer as well, with the exception of about 10 mins of dubstep he played :/

Yeah its a fun track. Def can see how a small bit of sun and warmth has appeared in the Uk and im swiftly into my happy upbeat music phase. Cant seem to find much of anything by levan though.

miksushag

Shaneus

I highly recommend this compilation. It contains one of my favourite all-time tracks on it. Not a remix or production or anything by Levan specifically, just something that seems to embody part of his vibe:
Ashford & Simpson - Bourgie Bourgie
Production-wise, I don't think I've ever heard a better song. It's worth hunting down a lossless version of it, donning a quality pair of headphones and losing yourself in it. It's so lush and airy and floaty, I just adore it.

Can't find a YouTube of it but here is a link to it on bleep: https://bleep.com/release/50896-unknown-artist-future-times-we-gonna-do-it-make-you-hot

Future Times #21, so dope. Sold out most places, I snagged a copy through Discogs just now for a touch cheaper than Bleep. Clone has it available but their shipping rates are stupid expensive.

Fucking £8+ PP for ONE tune. VIIIIIINNNNYYYYYYLLLLLL!!!

Speaking of the squrriel record, anyother newish releases to recommend? Im literally finding one song I like on discogs then going through the sellers disco/funk section on lowest first and listening to everything haha.
Just got this, heard Four tet play it a few weeks back and shazam picked it up :)
Bunny Mack- Let me love you

okno

^ You've definitely posted that before, and I love it!

Shaneus, pretty sure you were the one who pointed me towards this Paradise Garage-themed twitter? Just an endless stream of greatness.

I forgot about this twitter! Thanks for the repost. Been wanting to pick up the entire Larry Levan Garage comp series... Not sure how hard it is to track the whole thing, but vol 1-3 are pretty essential stuff.

Larry Levan Garage Classics Vol. 1 For the record, this is the comp series I'm talking about.

gdt

Hello ElectronicGAF, I'd like some recommendations for some progessive house songs,please.

There are two awesome songs that have just been stuck in my head recently which are

Project 46 ft. Seri - Motionless
and
StadiumX & Taylr Renee - Howl at the Moon

The EDM thread would be for stuff like that (yeah its confusing).

I would just give you

Scuba - Adrenalin
Jacques Greene - No Excuse
Locked Groove - Dream Within A Dream (probably the closest to what you posted)

gdt

Thanks and sorry for posting in the wrong thread lol.

It really isn't the wrong thread, just two pretty different communities. This is for...um less mainstream (I guess?) electronic music. Purer or whatever. The other one is for big style festival EDM.

Its a dumb delineation.

Shaneus

I wouldn't have even told them about the other thread and just eased them toward our far superior taste. But you had to go and open your big mouth.

Shaneus

If you hadn't said anything they'd be none the wiser.

Fool! Now they know!

(I hope he/they stick around, it's better to try and accommodate than point them in another direction entirely. TBH I didn't even know that other thread still existed)

Dreaver

Ooh, I like these types of posts :)
*shitload of links*

*loads of names*
Thanks guys! I always appreciate the detailed answers!

Also... I might soon be dj'ing my first party! Birthday party with about 50 people. Not that special but a little bit of experience doesn't hurt. :)
I do have to look at my music though.. most of my stuff are underground tunes (techno) and the crowd probably prefers the most fancy EDM/top 40.

Shaneus

Thanks guys! I always appreciate the detailed answers!

Also... I might soon be dj'ing my first party! Birthday party with about 50 people. Not that special but a little bit of experience doesn't hurt. :)
I do have to look at my music though.. most of my stuff are underground tunes (techno) and the crowd probably prefers the most fancy EDM/top 40.
Few things:
* Don't overthink it. Too much music can be a bad thing, can also stress you out.
* Try and cover some big commercial/crossover tunes of the last few years if you can. "Best of" lists from 2011-2013 should trigger memories/cover most bases.
* Try to picture what music they want to hear, not what you want to hear. It's hard, but man, you might just have to make the ultimate sacrifice and play some Skrillex, Knife Party or Swedish House Mafia (but if you can find some music that fits in with "popular" genres/styles that people may not have heard, great!)

I thin I've over-complicated it already. Damn.

Oh, BTW. Good remixes of commercial tracks are always a good thing. Sometimes people are just happy to recognise the song they're dancing to more than what genre it is ;) Remixes of Get Lucky would go down a treat, I'd reckon.

Sorry if any of the above made it harder for you :(

okno

Just loop "Love Like This" over and over again and watch the brains get melted.

I've been slightly (severely) obsessing over that song lately.

Dreaver

Few things:
* Don't overthink it. Too much music can be a bad thing, can also stress you out.
* Try and cover some big commercial/crossover tunes of the last few years if you can. "Best of" lists from 2011-2013 should trigger memories/cover most bases.
* Try to picture what music they want to hear, not what you want to hear. It's hard, but man, you might just have to make the ultimate sacrifice and play some Skrillex, Knife Party or Swedish House Mafia (but if you can find some music that fits in with "popular" genres/styles that people may not have heard, great!)

I thin I've over-complicated it already. Damn.

Oh, BTW. Good remixes of commercial tracks are always a good thing. Sometimes people are just happy to recognise the song they're dancing to more than what genre it is ;) Remixes of Get Lucky would go down a treat, I'd reckon.

Sorry if any of the above made it harder for you :(
No no you didn't! I think I can play play and beatmatch by ear pretty decent, it's just that I don't have *real* experience. I understand exactly what you mean. I'll probably grab some popular EDM stuff and perhaps some more popular tech-house/deep house, but not too much underground stuff. Think I might use the phase meters and stuff though (I normally have them off) to assist me. I actually hate them, but I don't feel comfortable playing completely blind with music I'm don't really know wel, let alone for the first time *shivers*. Also some stuff might be hard to beat match blind (when I throw in some Skrillex for example compared to 128 bpm).

Prepare to get frustrated. Playing house partys for "regular" people is not much fun, you get stuck behind the decks all night and people only dance when they are proper drunk.

I only ever really enjoy it when Im just as smashed and I play whatever,OR im at a party with people who I know are into my kind of mucis. Trying to play to the crowd with latest edm banger87 or pop-house track gets on my nerves.

My half drunken opion anyway. Oh and forget about beatmatching, nobody gives a shit, even the people you think will care.

Edit: Having slightly sobered, from my experience playing at like ateast 30 partys in the last two years, dont worry about beat matching at all, play whatever you want and dont waste your time hunting down and filling your hard drive with crap, Ive done it and my other close mate has done it and really nodoby will care and youll be damn sure someone will come up and un plug it all regardless of how good it it may be to play Miley cyrus via youtube on their phone. I swear to you no matter how "cool" and underground they say they are, it WILL happen haha.

Shaneus

Prepare to get frustrated. Playing house partys for "regular" people is not much fun, you get stuck behind the decks all night and people only dance when they are proper drunk.

I only ever really enjoy it when Im just as smashed and I play whatever,OR im at a party with people who I know are into my kind of mucis. Trying to play to the crowd with latest edm banger87 or pop-house track gets on my nerves.

My half drunken opion anyway. Oh and forget about beatmatching, nobody gives a shit, even the people you think will care.

Edit: Having slightly sobered, from my experience playing at like ateast 30 partys in the last two years, dont worry about beat matching at all, play whatever you want and dont waste your time hunting down and filling your hard drive with crap, Ive done it and my other close mate has done it and really nodoby will care and youll be damn sure someone will come up and un plug it all regardless of how good it it may be to play Miley cyrus via youtube on their phone. I swear to you no matter how "cool" and underground they say they are, it WILL happen haha.
Yeah, my other tip was going to be grab some "popular" (or commercial) Essential Mixes and the like and play those if you want to have a break now and then.

Oh, and don't be afraid to NOT play banging stuff even if people ask for it. 9/10 times they are into it for 30 seconds before something else catches their attention. You're much better playing something deep house-ish that's not necessarily everyone's cup of tea, but at least it's not offensive and obtrusive (like what 90% of people would probably request).

I wish I hadnt deleted my recording of me playing at a party so drunk I could hardly read the laptop and yet I had the whole room dancing to god knows what. It was horrifc listening back but kind of eye opening to how little regular folk notice or even care.
One of my female friends told me I had "improved loads and could really tell" when I listened back I burst out laughing.

okno

Don't forget: this is YOUR birthday party so play whatever the tuck YOU want to play. Mix in a little bit of what they might like, but don't focus too much on them. They're going to party no matter what, because it's your party, and they might end up enjoying your stuff more than you think. I played a random party a couple of months ago, was asked to stay away from house and techno (but not avoid it completely) and ended up just playing deep house ad shit like Bicep for four hours and had the whole place dancing. A lot of people came up to express their surprise in enjoying it's so that made the whole night all the more fun for me and everyone else.

Bring what you want to play and bring some backup shit incase people don't dig it.

Shaneus

I don't think it's *his* (or hers) birthday party. Just the first party they're DJing, that happens to be a birthday party.

I think?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安

injurai

Banned
I did a search on GAF for Crookram and nothing came up. Weird.

For those who never heard of him, have a listen, it's instrumental hip-hop-ish:

https://soundcloud.com/crookram
http://crookram.bandcamp.com/

His Through the Windows album is one I can listen from the first track to the last, really good album: http://crookram.bandcamp.com/album/through-windows

He hasn't been highly active in some time but he told me he is working on something for the near future.

This is really awesome, thanks for the suggestion. Jazz-hop thread would probably like this too.

Top Bottom