• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official NeoGAF Groundbreaking Electronic Music Thread™

gdt

I was on the road for like 6 hours yesterday, got to listen to shit over and over. The Detroit Swindle LP is really solid. Lots of house bangers, 1 hip hop house funk tune, and some soul stuff. Really great vibe through the whole lp.

miksushag

Does anyone have a proper version of bloc party - where is home? (burial remix)?
Thought of buying the cd-single where burial remix is, but no one is selling it atm. fml.

Mad Decent Block Party full lineup has been revealed.
1533853_710939352262752_349614363_n.png

Of course, only certain ones are performing at certain locations:( Which can be found here.

I'll be going to the DC show. I'm hoping Cashmere Cat goes, since he'll be in VA on the next day.

bowery

its a decent lineup, cashmere cat is really one of the more interesting producers out there, hes been working with benny blanco and is producing for maroon 5 and ariana grande while also working with people like mumdance and logos.... crazy world

Shaneus

Was it you who originally posted in here about Nice7, nocturne? They're playing in Australia on Good Friday, surprise discovery via a random poster while I was driving. Kinda hyped for it!

Edit: Fuck, I was thinking of Lane 8. Anyone know if Nice7 are worth seeing?

Edit #2: Now I remember where I know their name from. This stupidly good remix of It's Yours. Maybe that'll trigger some memories for some of you :)

Dreaver

Don't forget: this is YOUR birthday party so play whatever the tuck YOU want to play. Mix in a little bit of what they might like, but don't focus too much on them. They're going to party no matter what, because it's your party, and they might end up enjoying your stuff more than you think. I played a random party a couple of months ago, was asked to stay away from house and techno (but not avoid it completely) and ended up just playing deep house ad shit like Bicep for four hours and had the whole place dancing. A lot of people came up to express their surprise in enjoying it's so that made the whole night all the more fun for me and everyone else.

Bring what you want to play and bring some backup shit incase people don't dig it.
I don't think it's *his* (or hers) birthday party. Just the first party they're DJing, that happens to be a birthday party.

I think?
Hey friends, it indeed isn't mine. Thank you for your input. It will be fine. Also, on the plus side, my work organizes drinks in the late afternoon on fridays. I Discovered my work as a mixer and a pair of CDJ-Nexus'. All very casual drinks with a chit chat, but they sometimes have a dj. I might approach them somewhere soon in the future to ask if I can play some tunes sometime. Seems like a great opportunity to get some experience. Are CDJ's hard to play/learn for the first time if you only have experience with digital controllers (Traktor S2)?

miksushag

Are CDJ's hard to play/learn for the first time if you only have experience with digital controllers (Traktor S2)?

They feel pretty much exactly the same (though the quality is obviously better in the nexus cdj's) but the principle is the same. You have your jogwheel, cue, play and pitch sliders.
If you have practiced with digital controless without using sync, then it is basically as if you had practiced with cdjs.

Shaneus

Hey friends, it indeed isn't mine. Thank you for your input. It will be fine. Also, on the plus side, my work organizes drinks in the late afternoon on fridays. I Discovered my work as a mixer and a pair of CDJ-Nexus'. All very casual drinks with a chit chat, but they sometimes have a dj. I might approach them somewhere soon in the future to ask if I can play some tunes sometime. Seems like a great opportunity to get some experience. Are CDJ's hard to play/learn for the first time if you only have experience with digital controllers (Traktor S2)?
Love to help where we can! CDJs aren't hard to learn with, but they're easiest (regardless of model) if you're not relying on the beatmatching features they use. Whether that means you can beatmatch manually or you'll play without worrying about it (which absolutely fine for the setting... it honestly doesn't matter unless you're at a bar or pub. Party people don't give a shit about mixing unless they're dicks ;) ), that's all you'll need to be concerned with.

So either knock out a couple of songs in a row at home on your Traktor without beatmatching at all (manual or auto) to see how they sound (and work on your crossfading) or muck around with beatmatching yourself to get the knack of it.

PS. What you could be getting into there is basically the best way to start DJing in public. Very low pressure, everyone's there to have fun and the more relaxed you are, the more you'll ease right into it.

PPS. Hopefully you don't have to worry about it, but don't stress if people ask for songs and they either don't fit what you're playing or you don't have the songs. If it's a casual thing, folks shouldn't mind if you stick with what you know :)

Fuck, PPPS. When I'm not near a DJ setup or just want to fuck around with mixing a few songs, I fire up the iDJ app on my iPhone. I use the splitter option (turns one channel into the output and the other into the staging/monitor channel) and just listen to both sides at once, cueing on one side while the other plays. If you have free time in the library or bus or whatever, there's no harm in having a quick fuck around. On more than one occasion I've found tracks I never would've thought'd work together completely by accident in those situations.

Have fun!

Shit. One last thing: If you're not super-confident about playing right off, maybe knock up a mix at home of music you think they'd like and see if they'll let it play in the background. You might even get people asking who did the mix! But make sure it suits the vibe, no hardstyle... yet ;)

omgkitty

Holy shit this is crazy:

What's this all about? What's "The Caustic Window LP"? How is WATMM releasing Richard's music? Is the world coming to an end?

The Caustic Window LP is a legendary unreleased test pressing (only 4 5 known to exist) that was supposed to be released after the run of Joyrex EPs on Rephlex Records. For various reasons, it was decided to hold off on this 2xLP release and release other artists' music on the label. When a mysterious seller on Discogs appeared offering it for sale at an eye-watering 13,500.00 USD, folks jokingly suggested to crowdfund an effort and buy the LP so everyone could have a rip of the vinyl.

Fast forward to a few days ago, and being the crazy bastard I am, decided to reach out to Rephlex and see if we could do it - and Richard and Grant said yes! We've been granted one-time duplication rights (aka make digital copies of the vinyl tracks) for 600 people all the people who fund the upcoming Kickstarter project to get a digital download of the music. Rephlex will never officially release this album, so this is a once-in-a-lifetime opprotunity to own some rare, classic electronic music!

What's Kickstarter?
Kickstarter is an increasingly popular way for artists and individuals and companies to fund projects and causes by getting individuals to "pledge" an amount towards a goal, and if the goal is met, the project owner then follows through with the promised items in return for the contributors' support. In this case, we're allowing 600 people everyone who wants to purchase one digital copy of the LP, at approximately 15.50 USD (around 10.00 GBP, 11,20 EUR).

Who gets the money?
Since this is not a traditional record release in almost every sense, I came up with the idea that the money for the record would go to the seller (which Rephlex negotiated with to lower their asking price to 5,000.00 GBP (around 8,300.00USD), and the money from the Kickstarter will be paid to the seller. All involved (Richard, the seller, Grant) felt this was better than some collector getting it (and possibly leaking it onto the internet) and give the hardcore fans a chance to own this rare (non) release.

Who gets the record (the actual record)?
Once the Kickstarter is funded and the seller is paid, Rephlex will ship the record to someone I've chosen to rip the audio from the vinyl, and produce lossless digital audio files. Then the record will be shipped to me for the second phase of this project.

Then what happens?
After that, the record will be put on Ebay and auctioned off, with the proceeds of the money being split into thirds - one third goes to Richard James (royalty for his work - aka the music), one third back to the backers of the Kickstarter (split among the backers), and the final third given to a charity that the community will decide upon (we'll vote for that later). Ideally, we'll be getting the mechanisms together to deliver the digital audio files to the backers via secure download.

When's the Kickstarter going to, you know, start?
Kickstarter themselves has to approve the project. No set date is available yet, but we'll do our best to let everyone know in advance.

What happens if the Kickstarter doesn't reach the funding goal?

Kickstarter doesn't charge you, the backer anything until the project reaches it's funding goal (somehow I have a feeling this won't be a problem) - all you provide them is a credit card number to hold until the project meets it's goal. The seller will be then free to sell the record to anyone willing to pay his asking price.

How are the audio files going to be made?
One of our community members who has experience in ripping vinyl is going to do this, and will be producing a direct rip with no alterations to the tracks (aka post-software processing) using high-quality equipment. We are going to ensure this is the best possible quality.

Will WATMM members get first dibs at the Kickstarter?
I am currently evaluating the best way to do this so of course, the WATMM community gets first crack at it - suggestions are welcome. The Kickstarter will not just go live - there will be a date and time established so nobody will be caught unaware (hopefully). I just hope we don't use up all 600 spots ourselves and someone on the outside doesn't get a chance!

What if I don't have a credit card? Does Kickstarter take PayPal?
According to Kickstarter's Pledge FAQ, they only accept credit cards. Sorry!

Why should I support this? Once the digital files are out there, it's going to be pirated anyways.
Well, beyond the obvious legal reasons for doing so, my thinking is if you are a true fan of Richard's music, and a fan of music in general (regardless of genre), this is a no-brainer - plus, you're part of a unique event in music history! I think it goes without saying that the hope is everyone who is part of this "does the right thing" and keeps the digital files to themselves as something special.

9/4/2014 @ 1:30CST: Huge news! We're lifting the number of contributor restrictions so anyone who wants it will be able to purchase it! More money for charity! More money for Richard/Rephlex! More money for the seller!

It's explained better on Pitchfork, but I can't access it at work.

can i get some 90 house/house/disco etc in the 100-110 range please?
I have some sick tunes at that speed but I mean I cant play like 6 records haha. Id like to pad it out some more so I could play aleast for 40mins or so at that kind of tempo.

Dreaver

long post
I really appreciate the help! I've done loads of bedroom dj'ing so it's not like it's my first time playing, just for the first time in "public". Just one more thing, can you also mix fully in headphones (and is it even recommend for playing in public with load music)? Because I see loads of people doing the 1 ear monitor / 1 ear headphone setup. I can mix quite clean with just headphones, but 1 ear monitor / 1 ear headphone = way harder.

can i get some 90 house/house/disco etc in the 100-110 range please?
I have some sick tunes at that speed but I mean I cant play like 6 records haha. Id like to pad it out some more so I could play aleast for 40mins or so at that kind of tempo.
A few a top of my head, hopefully they aren't too deep house/mainstream-ish

Perseus - Shadow of the beast
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ii-8I1vtSm8

Doctor Dru & Adana Twins - Juicy Fruit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQsnNA8Ob_Q

Tornado Wallace - Stop Holding Back
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5mP8oLqUVs

Unknown - #001 (quite a dark song though)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZ67FyJ9lE8

okno

I really appreciate the help! I've done loads of bedroom dj'ing so it's not like it's my first time playing, just for the first time in "public". Just one more thing, can you also mix fully in headphones (and is it even recommend for playing in public with load music)? Because I see loads of people doing the 1 ear monitor / 1 ear headphone setup. I can mix quite clean with just headphones, but 1 ear monitor / 1 ear headphone = way harder.

The 1 ear monitor/1 ear phones makes sense once you're in the mix, because what happens with the monitors is that they are LOUD so you'll need to bump up the cue volume to compensate. It's difficult at first, but you'll get used to it. Some people also find it more comfortable to mix entirely in headphones, but you'll reach a point where it's easier to do the 1-ear monitor. You really only need to do do the 2-ear thing for more intricate and difficult songs.

edit: I don't think what I said makes much sense. I need to stop posting when I'm drunk.

injurai

Banned
I really want to get in on that kickstarter. Sucks that they are limiting it to so few people. I'm sure there is 1000 fold the amount looking to get in on that.

Shaneus

The 1 ear monitor/1 ear phones makes sense once you're in the mix, because what happens with the monitors is that they are LOUD so you'll need to bump up the cue volume to compensate. It's difficult at first, but you'll get used to it. Some people also find it more comfortable to mix entirely in headphones, but you'll reach a point where it's easier to do the 1-ear monitor. You really only need to do do the 2-ear thing for more intricate and difficult songs.

edit: I don't think what I said makes much sense. I need to stop posting when I'm drunk.
I've actually never completely adapted to the speaker/headphone thing and do it all by headphones. When I'm doing the actual mixing between tracks I do the one headphone/speaker thing, but when queuing up and getting levels right and right before I up the volume of the channel I'm mixing into, I'm 100% headphones.

Guess that comes with getting my basic skills down in a home setup where there's not much difference between using a monitor and headphones.

Dreaver

Actually it did make sense (does THAT make sense?). Good info!

Also:

Frankie Knuckles “Baby Wants to Ride” (Jimmy Edgar Edit)
https://soundcloud.com/jimmyedgar/frankie-knuckles-baby-wants-to

omgkitty

I really want to get in on that kickstarter. Sucks that they are limiting it to so few people. I'm sure there is 1000 fold the amount looking to get in on that.

At the bottom, I posted this:

9/4/2014 @ 1:30CST: Huge news! We're lifting the number of contributor restrictions so anyone who wants it will be able to purchase it! More money for charity! More money for Richard/Rephlex! More money for the seller!

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow

okno

What DJs Do These Days.

Seems pretty accurate for a big part of the EDM community sadly.

I was pretty mesmerized by this yesterday. I tried to make sense of the whole thing, but gave up. Steve stands there and turns his jog wheel, guy in the middle turns his jog wheel, touches a knob, turns the jog wheel, Steve places his finger tip on a knob, the two of them both turn their jog wheels at the same time and then nod approvingly and place their hands in the air. No headphones, two songs seemingly playing at the same time... I just...

I just noticed at the end of the video Steve plays the song selection knob like it's an EQ knob.

Dreaver

Disclosure x Friend Within - The Mechanism
https://soundcloud.com/disclosuremusic/the-mechanism/s-ILb3F

Also Bonobo is doing the essential mix tonight. Can't wait to hear it.

Pretty ironic because the guy in the middle, Laidback Luke, is actually really decent in mixing and djing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwiUlhOyjyI

Yeah I saw that video a while ago, pretty enjoyable mixing and he definitely can mix good. A shame that only the first fifteen minutes are worth listening before the EDM garbage starts kicking in.

The video still doesn't remove the fact that a lot of the mainstream "artists" are pretty shitty like the video shows. It's all about being a "big dj super brand that drops shitty bangerz" instead of good dj'ing. But whatever.

Going to check them out!

bowery

not to knock those who can but i dont think many people care if the dj can mix or not or how much technique and why should you as long as the music is good...i think a lot of that was born out of necessity from the current technology and its not really relevant anymore
i dont see whats really sad about it, what effect does it have on you if the dj can mix or not, nobody if forcing you to go to top 40 edm act shows, so if youre paying money for a ticket to see an "electronic artist" you should know what you're paying for

injurai

Banned
not to knock those who can but i dont think many people care if the dj can mix or not or how much technique and why should you as long as the music is good...i think a lot of that was born out of necessity from the current technology and its not really relevant anymore
i dont see whats really sad about it, what effect does it have on you if the dj can mix or not, nobody if forcing you to go to top 40 edm act shows, so if youre paying money for a ticket to see an "electronic artist" you should know what you're paying for

I think it's two fold. What you said is part of it. DJ is a necessity, in the end people want to hear the songs and artists they love and a set they can get into. I don't expect people to all be exemplifying the most rigorous dj practices.

But, there is certainly an art of djing. Both privately and as a live performance. To some extent the most extreme feats of talent belong to a small collection of scenes that peaked at the end of the 90's. Though this art still lives on through some. When I see modern EDM artists trying "show off" as if to imply that they too are somehow engaging in an activity of similar discipline then my stomach churns and I feel compelled to scoff. Perhaps only to defend the accolades of those with true talent.

I think it's two fold. What you said is part of it. DJ is a necessity, in the end people want to hear the songs and artists they love and a set they can get into. I don't expect people to all be exemplifying the most rigorous dj practices.

But, there is certainly an art of djing. Both privately and as a live performance. To some extent the most extreme feats of talent belong to a small collection of scenes that peaked at the end of the 90's. Though this art still lives on through some. When I see modern EDM artists trying "show off" as if to imply that they too are somehow engaging in an activity of similar discipline then my stomach churns and I feel compelled to scoff. Perhaps only to defend the accolades of those with true talent.

As long people are dancing and enjoying the music, that's all that matters. I started spinning again. I stop in 2006 because of my ego. I spin all type of genre's from Bebop Jazz, House, Boom Bap Rap, Funk, Trap, Jungle, Folk, Disco and so on. No one cares if you beatmatch, Beat juggle and can even do a drop. I still think DJ's should learn some of those traits just to make their mixes smooth. But as long as the crowd is having fun, or hearing a new track and ask "who is that" that's all that matters to me.

rinse

Neo Member

miksushag

http://www.littlewhiteearbuds.com/podcast/lwe-podcast-198-jacques-greene/#.U0vwVlfikY3

01. Drake, “OVOXO” (TEAMS ∞ TRUST edit) [*]
02. Frankey & Sandrino, “Save” [Innervisions]
03. Krystal Klear, “Fumer Tue” [Cold Tonic]
04. Jacques Greene, “Night Tracking” [LuckyMe*]
05. Tiga, “Gentle Giant” (Martyn’s Heaven Remix) [Turbo]
06. Partynextdoor, “R A I N ft. Rochelle Jordan” [*]
07. Pablo Mateo, “Roxy” [LACKREC.]
08. Anthony Naples, “Perro” [The Trilogy Tapes*]
09. HNNY, “No” [Puss]
10. A.G. Cook, “Had 1 (slowed)” [*]
11. Aden, “Part of Me” [Ultramajic]
12. Jacques Greene, “No Excuse” (Yung Gud Remix) [*]
13. Seiho, “KOI” [Perfect Touch]
14. Jacques Greene, “1 4 me” (demo) [*]
15. DJ Richard, “Benzos” [White Material]
16. Yung Gud, “Fall In Love” [*]
17. How to Dress Well, “Words I Can’t Remember” [Weird World]
18. iPhone recording of dudes in Delancey Station

Happened across a copy of this today for $14, but I have no idea how much it would actually cost to ship to the UK (assuming you're still looking?)

Thanks for the thought! Im kind of on the fence as it will be about £20 roughly based on my research. Might have to hold off till after record store day haha

Popped up on discogs for near on retail so I snapped it up! woop

Top Bottom