• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official NeoGAF Groundbreaking Electronic Music Thread™

miksushag

Fuck, can anyone help me find a tune? It was pretty high ranked in last or the year before top lists. Progressively building housetune with chord synths, the cover art had a baseball in it with the artist and title on it.

injurai

Banned
God what is the point of pitchfork reviews. Music above all other mediums I would consider to be by far the most subjective. If your can make money on your music your probably good enough to merit the fans you pick up. Especially looking at what they typically track. I would say it's all good, even inspite of my personal preferences. Just how I can acknowledge and respect good scientific work regardless if it's in a field I know very little about or have no interest in. I can recognize that others really like it.

Picking 1 person to assign a number really does nothing. Especially when they are biased due to lack of exposure to a hard to break into scene/genre or they are jaded by genres that could be considered over-saturated.

Honestly I hardly go there, not even to track stuff. But my god I feel those reviews are pointless. I'm only picking on pitchfork, but it goes for just about every other music review site. Movies I feel you can objectively rag on certain weak aspects. Video games you can tell the heart and premise where good, but it's easy to recognize a shoddy game.

Music how do you really do that? Aside from tearing apart shallow lyrics maybe.

Dreaver

Saw Chris Liebing and Nina Kraviz yesterday... Especially Nina killed it (she's hot, russian and a techno dj... it doesn't get any better than that). Blown away. She is starting to become one of my favorite dj's.

It was in a new venue, beautiful place with very crisp sound. Such an amazing night.

Shaneus

Sadly, I found her a little dull (though not horrible and of course, really really ridiculously good-looking). Guess my expectations didn't match what she normally did.

Not at all bad and good if that's what you're into... but yeah, I was expecting something suiting the crowd a little more.

Hey y'all. Just moved into a fresh new apartment, so I'm christening it by opening the windows and playing some records. Drop by and say hey if you're around: http://mixlr.com/fruitpreservative/me

ah missed it.

Dont buy anymore records till May I say
Gf says lets go to Oxford street, you can go to Soho record shops too!
Shouldnt buy anything so nah lets go somewhere different
Ok lets go Greenwich she says

Spend the afternoon there only to walk around a corner and low and behold a record shop, well cant not go in can you?!
>>walk out with the first Hotflush remix EP back when Scuba made dubstep (Vexxed and Loefah remixes of Hotflush 1) and a Jacksons single for £5.

Poetaster

Banned
Fucking sucks hearing about Dj Rashads death. His stuff got me into footwork in early '07 and I've been hooked ever since. His sound evolved nicely over the years and it's a shame he's left us so soon. RIP.

HiResDes

Pitchfork reviews are basically an excuse for people to advertise how fucking pretentious they can be.
Umm it sounds as if his real beef is with music journalism in general and not just Pitchfork. I don't agree with his argument either way, every artistic medium has critical reviewers and these critics serve a fairly important purpose of giving people an impression of what to expect from various projects and aiding in the exposure and exploration of new works.

injurai

Banned
Umm it sounds as if his real beef is with music journalism in general and not just Pitchfork. I don't agree with his argument either way, every artistic medium has critical reviewers and these critics serve a fairly important purpose of giving people an impression of what to expect from various projects and aiding in the exposure and exploration of new works.

Of course every artistic medium will have views, and of course people will use them to their aid. Thing is, I realized that not a single review that I scanned over nor the arbitrary score that an album was awarded gave me any indication that the music is something I should give a chance. Everything 4 pages deep was between a 6.5 and an 8.5. To me the margin that would be created via bias, taste as well as familiarity/unfamiliarity is much larger that 2 points on a scale as is. There being no consistency of reviewers, no "second opinion" scores. I was looking at a lot of stuff I knew I was familiar with, and had I not of known about a particular release, the review/score would not have done anything to sell me on it. I would miss out on some of my favorite things. Ultimately I feel like their whole service is just a farce that caters to those who woefully misapproach cultivating musical taste. If you want to just see what has been released recently, then sure take a look. But don't think the site can tell you anything more.

Maybe for someone like you who does follow reviews, you become attuned to the sites tastes and it does benefit you. It does bring you enjoyable music both familiar and unexpected. For me, I will never garner as much as a meaningful hint from them.

A friend and I are thinking of putting on a small night in london. Seems like theres a million and one things you never really think about till you look at doing it.

okno

A friend and I are thinking of putting on a small night in london. Seems like theres a million and one things you never really think about till you look at doing it.

Haha I've started looking into the same here in NYC and it's no easy feat, but I know it is far, FAR easier in London than here to start a night. Good luck, man!!

Haha I've started looking into the same here in NYC and it's no easy feat, but I know it is far, FAR easier in London than here to start a night. Good luck, man!!

Thanks, yeah there are thankfully alot of London based producers and our main "sounds" will be London based. Going to look at a venue tonight and weve checked up on a few others. Its a shame that one of our favourite rooms (Room 2 of Corsica) wont take any kind of booking for nights that arnt established allready, as it is perfect for what we are going for but maybe down the line we can.

okno

Your timing is shocking. Move to Australia or somewhere where your timezone isn't so messed up :p

Well, you can always retroactively listen to it here!

Techno! A couple of vinyl exclusive cuts included.

Fudge Fingas - Light In My Life
Matthew Herbert - Oo Licky
The Mole - Bleep Blop Robot
Basic Soul Unit - Soulspeak
Redshape - Unfinished Symmetry
Roman Lindau - Adipeux
Tobias. - Clapper
DJ Sodeyama - Miles (Nick Curly Remix)
Radio Slave - Repeat Myself (Rodhad Remix)
Paranoid London - Paris Dub 1 (feat. Paris Brightledge)
Greg Beato - Dreamin'
Huntemann - I Did Not
Prince of Denmark - Cut Untitled Cut

edit: it's dedicated to my brother!

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom

OMG, the new Young Magic album Breathing Statues just went up on Soundcloud. I think it's all new aside from a track or two.

injurai

Banned

01. Om Unit - Timelines (5:15)
02. Calibre - Archive (5:15)
03. DLR & Script - Blue Room (feat. Martyna Baker) (6:46)
04. Ulterior Motive - Gods Neighbours (feat. Will Manning) (6:42)
05. Digital & Spirit - Creeper (5:39)
06. Ivy Lab & Hydro - Make It Clear (feat. Frank Carter III & Lucy Annika) (5:06)
07. SCAR (Survival & Script) - When (6:02)
08. Lenzman & FD - Joanie's Theme (6:05)
09. Blocks & Escher - Madness (6:28)
10. Loxy & Resound - Paradigms (6:24)
11. Artificial Intelligence - War Horse (feat. DRS) (4:55)
12. Jubei & Consequence - Black Hornet (5:42)
13. Dub Phizix & Skeptical - Deeper Love (7:26)
14. Sunchase - 420 (6:51)
15. Heist - Great White (4:40)
16. Digital - Mini Cooper (4:52)
17. The Invaderz - The Ascent (6:05)
18. Bipolar - Interlude (6:53)

I'm crying guys, this is a joyous day.

thabiz

Techno! A couple of vinyl exclusive cuts included.

Fudge Fingas - Light In My Life
Matthew Herbert - Oo Licky
The Mole - Bleep Blop Robot
Basic Soul Unit - Soulspeak
Redshape - Unfinished Symmetry
Roman Lindau - Adipeux
Tobias. - Clapper
DJ Sodeyama - Miles (Nick Curly Remix)
Radio Slave - Repeat Myself (Rodhad Remix)
Paranoid London - Paris Dub 1 (feat. Paris Brightledge)
Greg Beato - Dreamin'
Huntemann - I Did Not
Prince of Denmark - Cut Untitled Cut

edit: it's dedicated to my brother!

this is nice. that redshape track is always a killer.

okno

this is nice. that redshape track is always a killer.

Thanks, dude! I actually planned to go on much longer (you can hear me start to transition into "A Flash In the Eye" from Secret Initiative VII at the end) but got really tired as I had worked all day until that point and had to stop. That Redshape track is fire, it just keeps growing and growing. Even at 13 minutes long I wish it kept going. Thanks for checking it out, glad you like it. I've been trying to get out of my super slow stoner style and into more peak-timey things and it's all for the better, just way more fun all around.

Shaneus

Lucky ;) Any chance of a download, or do I have to get all sneaky and low-quality SC-rip that fucker?

PS. Had a listen to that Redshape track, for some reason via a quick flick-through it reminded me of this (even though it doesn't sound much like it at all).
tl;dr: some things remind me of other things

okno

Lucky ;) Any chance of a download, or do I have to get all sneaky and low-quality SC-rip that fucker?

PS. Had a listen to that Redshape track, for some reason via a quick flick-through it reminded me of this (even though it doesn't sound much like it at all).
tl;dr: some things remind me of other things

Done and done.

Checked out that track and it's... kind of like the Redshape track? Sorta? A little bit?

In other new record news:
Traumprinz - I Love Ya
Todd Terry - Tonite (Tee's Clone Edit)
Marquis Hawkes - Outta This Hood (this one is awesome)
Legowelt - Puzzles In Life (can't wait to get this)
A Made Up Sound - Caustic Network
R-Zone 09

gdt

I swear Legowelt puts out something every week. I can only take him in low doses though. An EP rather than an LP. When I listen to his latest LP I'll probably split it in half and listen to the second half later. I like him, but the cheese builds up quick.

okno

It's getting to be too much, in my opinion. I love the guy and he seems to write a melody by just clipping his toenails, but it's all starting to sound way too similar. Still, I'll take it!

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom

Wait - there's a new Chrome Sparks EP, and no one told me? Just released a couple days ago. The Meaning of Love is majestic. <3

injurai

Banned
do we have any DnB heads on here

I imagine we do B-)

That would probably be me.

If you lool above I just posted Platinum Breakz 4 is collaborative tapestry of some of the finest artists putting out some of their finest work. Of course the link only has snippets of each song, the full thing is like an hour and a half.

I'll plug dBridge who might be my favorite dnb artist right now. New project called Heartdrive with Kid Drama (one half of Instru:Mental)

There is a forthcoming Enei EP that I'm really looking forward to. Most recent Klute album is some of the best subtle and minimalistic works of dnb. Really shows his expertise after so many years. Alix Perez BBC1 Essential Mix is also a must listen to catch up on the scenes developments. It's also a showcase of his Chroma Chords album that came out last year.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Going down a slightly different electric route than has been heavily discussed so far but I am in love with Little Boots, Florence and the Machine and Empire of the Sun. Next year should be big for them.

Do you listen to Lana Del Ray as well? Not so much EDM, but she's very similar to Florence + the Machine.

Top Bottom