• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official NeoGAF Groundbreaking Electronic Music Thread™

Shaneus

Done and done.

Checked out that track and it's... kind of like the Redshape track? Sorta? A little bit?
Nice. And yeah, my ADHD affords me the ability of finding very vague similarities in all sorts of things, including music. My mate often laughs at me when I say something sounds like something else, but if he's right off tap usually he can actually hear a similarity, even if it's a very basic synth line. For example, I found this is very reminiscent of this. But possibly only to me.

tl;dr: My "reminds me of's" are to be taken with a grain of salt (or something else ;) ).

Do you listen to Lana Del Ray as well? Not so much EDM, but she's very similar to Florence + the Machine.
I went looking for the post you quoted (because I adore Little Boots) and it was from 2008. No wonder I couldn't find it on this page! Back on-topic, I'm not a big fan of LDR, but there are frequently awesome (both official and un) remixes of her tracks.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
I went looking for the post you quoted (because I adore Little Boots) and it was from 2008. No wonder I couldn't find it on this page! Back on-topic, I'm not a big fan of LDR, but there are frequently awesome (both official and un) remixes of her tracks.

Hahaha, my bad. I thought I had clicked last page, but was on the first. Finals week...
Her song from The Great Gatsby, Young and Beautiful, is one of my favorites. But I agree that those remixes of her songs are really, really good.

Shaneus

This is a bit weird and very left-of-centre (for this thread), but it sounds like it might be educational or something. It's not dance (in the vein this thread is, anyway) but it's definitely electronic and for it's time, groundbreaking:
William Onyeabor - Fantastic Man

(Got onto it via this, a live performance by David Byrne, Money Mark and others, on Fallon)

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom

New Pictureplane mixtape just dropped!!!! I fucking love Pictureplane. Dark Rift and Thee Physical are classics. Bustin out that mastercard, I need this shit right now.

injurai

Banned
There are so many music communities that I love. I don't mean ones like this thread, I just mean the scenes that people subscribe to. But for some reason the "dubstep" community seems woefully lost in understanding their own genre. I constantly see stuff attributed as dubstep that has no business being labelled as such. Half the community seems blatantly blind, and after the whole "real dubstep"/"brostep"-War everyone gets up on their high horse and shoots down any discussion that tries to give credit to scenes that develope sounds which entirely predate dubstep.

The part that pisses me off is that people could really benefit and explore some great music (music exactly like what they are praising to be dubstep) if only they pulled their heads out of their asses and valued not only naming conventions. But that you can't retroactively fabricate labels to bolster the definition of the scene you wish to subscribe to.

It's like most of these people define themselves as "dubstep fans" and everything needs that label. They can't just appreciate that Garage House and Acid Jazz happened. People on the internet love jumping on these "correct bandwagons" but try to educate this group and they tell you to stop labelling and enjoy the music. Then they turn around and call stuff Chill-lounge-step... ugh fucking hell.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
OH MY GOD YES
It's fuckin sick. It still has PP's signature sound but instead of the house leanings of his albums it's got a more aggresive, trappy sound. He's slowly putting up tracks on soundcloud if the $5 bandcamp fee is scaring people away.

Shaneus

really appreciate this post
Glad you did :) I never know whether posting non-"dance" stuff here is worthwhile, considering it usually has a history/vibe similar to that of old "Madchester" a la Primal Scream, New Order, Happy Mondays etc. But I figure that everyone needs to know of past unsung geniuses, and not just as far back as traditional disco/house music goes as that's a very different branch from where something like Onyeabor comes from.

And we can all do with a little extra edumacatin' ;)

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Yeah, that Onyeabor track is super cool. I think I first heard him on a mix someone gave me years back: "Better Change Your Mind"

There are a couple of great 12"s out that follow a similar vibe: African Shakedown 1 + 2
They're newer reworkings of existing tracks (presumably from the late '60s or early '70s) but aren't shined up so much that the original style is lost. The Ata Kak opener on #1 is ridiculous!

okno

Glad you did :) I never know whether posting non-"dance" stuff here is worthwhile, considering it usually has a history/vibe similar to that of old "Madchester" a la Primal Scream, New Order, Happy Mondays etc. But I figure that everyone needs to know of past unsung geniuses, and not just as far back as traditional disco/house music goes as that's a very different branch from where something like Onyeabor comes from.

Did you see David Byrne cover William Onyeabor? It's pretty badass.

Also, if anyone is in/near NYC, I'm going to spinning from 7-10 at Bossa Nova Civic Club this coming Wednesday, 5/07, and 5/21! Don't be afraid to come say hi. Here's a mix to celebrate (it's also May Day): May Day (It's Sprang)
Secret Squirrels - 003A
Andy Ash - Timmy
Lou2 - Freaky (Zanzibar Mix)
Automatic Tasty - Field In the Morning
San Laurentino - Stardust Road
Prosumer & Murat Tepeli - U & I
Pawel - Crillon (Sistrum Remix)
Legowelt - Clap Yo Hands
Freund der Familie - Porentief (XDB Reshape)
Ducktails - Letters of Intent (DJ Sprinkles' Post Script)
Leif - Until Dawn

injurai

Banned

Wow I was just looking him up. Seems he is a huge mystery to much of the world, aside from a few tidbits. I remember watching this documentary about slums in africa, and this guy who makes his living in a landfill would save up to go to a recording session everything 2 months. Theres no telling what sort of music scene have come and gone without notice.

Shaneus

Think that's interesting? Check this out:
Cast your mind to the acid house scene and your immediate thought probably doesn't involve an ageing Bollywood session musician. Yet the softly spoken Indian man who greets me at the door of his friend's suburban Acton home on a sunny Sunday morning is credited with creating what some have labelled the first ever acid house record.

Charanjit Singh's back catalogue could have disappeared into musical obscurity were it not for the cult album Ten Ragas to a Disco Beat that he created in a few days in Mumbai in 1982. The album is one of the earliest records to use the legendary Roland TB 303 synth – a machine synonymous with the acid house sound – and Singh paired this with the equally renowned Roland TR 808 to create an album astonishingly unusual and ahead of its time. So far ahead, in fact, that it appears to pre-date the first acid house records to come out of Chicago by about five years.
little bit more
Even today, it sounds like some strange kink in the dance music continuum, but Bouman is amused at speculation Ten Ragas is a hoax, cooked up by some Aphex Twin-style techno joker (the label has released Singh's conventional soundtrack work before, and besides, one can't imagine a respectable Bollywood reissue label pulling such a prank).

So yeah, as much as it blows my mind just how much dance/electronic music is being made now with computers etc., what stuns me even more are these tiny little pockets of creativity we're only discovering now.

Did you see David Byrne cover William Onyeabor? It's pretty badass.
You didn't even read my first post on it :(

There are so many music communities that I love. I don't mean ones like this thread, I just mean the scenes that people subscribe to. But for some reason the "dubstep" community seems woefully lost in understanding their own genre. I constantly see stuff attributed as dubstep that has no business being labelled as such. Half the community seems blatantly blind, and after the whole "real dubstep"/"brostep"-War everyone gets up on their high horse and shoots down any discussion that tries to give credit to scenes that develope sounds which entirely predate dubstep.

The part that pisses me off is that people could really benefit and explore some great music (music exactly like what they are praising to be dubstep) if only they pulled their heads out of their asses and valued not only naming conventions. But that you can't retroactively fabricate labels to bolster the definition of the scene you wish to subscribe to.

It's like most of these people define themselves as "dubstep fans" and everything needs that label. They can't just appreciate that Garage House and Acid Jazz happened. People on the internet love jumping on these "correct bandwagons" but try to educate this group and they tell you to stop labelling and enjoy the music. Then they turn around and call stuff Chill-lounge-step... ugh fucking hell.

Thats a rather large brush you have there m8! ;)
I think you are just reading to much nonsense from people that dont really know their arse from their elbows when it come to the stuff.
Alot of the people I know personally who are heavily into dubstep love all music from the low end like dnb/hardcore/garage/grime and proactive produce it and the newer "130" sound.

Wouldn't get so worked up about it anyways, waste of time on and energy on your part!

injurai

Banned
Thats a rather large brush you have there m8! ;)
I think you are just reading to much nonsense from people that dont really know their arse from their elbows when it come to the stuff.
Alot of the people I know personally who are heavily into dubstep love all music from the low end like dnb/hardcore/garage/grime and proactive produce it and the newer "130" sound.

Wouldn't get so worked up about it anyways, waste of time on and energy on your part!

Your right. It's just on more than a few occasions I will try to recommend something to someone that is inquiring about this neat sounding track. I'll tell them although it's coming out of the dubstep scene the music is very much a throwback to completely older scenes. Then a bunch of jokers jump in an dismiss everything and try to make an ass of me. Leaves you a bit sour more than ever I want to share and be inclusive in sharing about music.

It's probably some dumb 12 year old so... guess I shouldn't bother. Was feeling chafed and ranty when I wrote that.

Haha once your realise its a waste of time its much easier to ignore!

Trying to come up with a name for our night is stupid hard. I didnt really think it was all that important but it can convey so much or so little its kind of amazing really

How you convey:
Small venue
Rowdy Crowd
Low end music (Dubstep/Grime/ "130"/Uk Funky/Garage/Hardcore etc)
Party vibe with more on tune selection than straight mixing abilitys

Into a one or two word name is nuts. It was just going to be Logic but now we are having large second thoughts.
I like "Hive" but yeah duno. Shits hard.

injurai

Banned
? i'm not aware of an efdemin track called sexual

Oh wow... I've been confusing two artists... Seriously thought this was an Efdemin track...

Efenkei - Sexual

rejoice.png

This deserves to be quoted though.

played my first live set last weekend! Let me know what you guys think :). Had such a blast

https://soundcloud.com/clarkdprice/clark-price-live-honcho

Tracklist:

Unbroken Dub - Untitled 3
Robag Wruhme - Brumby Kappell
Baby Ford - Plaza
Erika - North Hex (Patrick Russell Reshape)
OCH - Hate Internet
Factory Floor - Turn It Up
Mark E - Smoke
Light Year - Come Together
Radio Slave - Jus Werk
Garnier - Beat (Da Box)
Aden - Whip
Floor Plan - Let’s Ride
Willie Graff - To the Music (DJ Qu Remix)
Frankie Knuckles - Baby Wants to Ride
Damiano von Erckert - Housem
Sean Smith - Evaluation Instrumental
Pittsburgh Track Authority - Broader Disco
Kink & Nevile Watson - Metropole
The Black Madonna - A Jealous Heart Never Rests
Octo Octa - Work Me
San Soda - Maximum 150 Personen
Marcellus Pittman - Obsession
Lowtec - Meandyou.dub
SIS - Nesrib
Pearson Sound - Starburst
Point Break - Sidewalks
Morebeck - Numb It Down
Herbert - Non Stop
JTC - Alpha Helix
Truncate - Control V2
DJ Qu - Somethin' Ta Feel
Nicuri - Thousand Points of Light
G String - Revenge
MGUN - Funnel Vision
Plastikman - Spastik
Omar S - Maya II
Fort Romeau - I Knew
Denite - I Love to Talk
Ferrer & Syndenham - Timbuktu
Tevo Howard - Move(Acid Mix)
Egal 3 - Titlu & povestse (Hectors Dysfunction)
Nina Kraviz - Love or Go (Kink Mix)
Tin Man - U.R.
The Black Madonna - We Still Believe

okno

That tracklist! Big ups for dropping "Jus Werk". Will check it out soon!

Friendly reminder: if you're in or around NYC, I'll be spinning at Bossa Nova Civic Club tomorrow from 7-10. Really, really, really excited for this.

Edit: How did you manage to get a copy of 'Werk' so early?

That tracklist! Big ups for dropping "Jus Werk". Will check it out soon!

Friendly reminder: if you're in or around NYC, I'll be spinning at Bossa Nova Civic Club tomorrow from 7-10. Really, really, really excited for this.

Edit: How did you manage to get a copy of 'Werk' so early?

Oh nice, I've never been there. I'm really good friends with Mike Servito....he plays there a lot it seems. Also, I'm on a promo list so I get some cool stuff early.

Top Bottom