• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official NeoGAF Groundbreaking Electronic Music Thread™

Divius

- Selected Official Remixes by Hudson Mohawke

This playlist contains 13 tracks, total time: 50.22

De De Mouse - My Favourite Swing (Hud Mo's Cobra Slice Rework) [2010]
Uffie ft Pharell - ADD SUV (Hud Mo's Spam Fajita RMX) [2010]
Bjork - Virus (Hud Mo Peaches & Guacamol RMX) [2012]
Dan Deacon - Woof Woof (Hud Mo RMX) [2009]
Battles - Rolls Bayce (Hud Mo RMX) [2012]
Free Moral Agents - Ageless (Hud Mo Remix) [2009]
Jamie Woon - Lady Luck (Hud Mo RMX) [2011]
Wiley - Electric Boogaloo (Hud Moh RMX) [2010]
B.O.B - Satellite (Hud Mo Remix) [2011]
Crookers - Put Your Hands On Me (Hud Mo RMX) [2009]
Vista (Hudson Mohawke Remix)
Disclosure - White Noise (Hud Mo RMX) [2013]
NRG (Hud Mo Remix) [2014]

miksushag

Yeah, that Mssingno EP last year was one of the highlights for me. XE2 might be the song of the year for me. Check his free dl tune 'Brandy Flip' also, big stuff.

gdt

Odds are he's talking about the latter

Just saw the former pop up on XLR8R. She's cute and has the 90s hood look which I find strangely sexy nowadays. Though apparently it's seapunk now.

Edit: ehhhh I guess not

Referring to her album cover.

So that "I don't like videogame music" made me realize that I listen to way too much VGM. Tracked down Daft Punk's RAM yesterday and it awakened something in me that I had been missing and I want more!

Since I am way out of the loop and have no idea where to search for what I might like, I will ask. Could someone recommend me a couple of albums from the last 10 years that are almost universally praised and that might have a similar feel to Daft Punk? I don't really enjoy dubstep though. Thanks.

Another example of the kind of stuff I like is the soundtrack from Maniac, Only God Forgives, and Hannah.

HiResDes

Why does it matter whether or not they're universally praised...Kind of lame IMO

...But I think Daft Punk and RAM are two of the most over appreciated things in the electronic community.

Fuck , thats a hard one.

Chromatics - Kill For Love lp for starters maybe?

Cool I will give that one a whirl.

Why does it matter whether or not they're universally praised...Kind of lame IMO

...But I think Daft Punk and RAM are two of the most over appreciated things in the electronic community.

Seeing as I have no idea whatsoever about what is even out there I am asking this so I can start somewhere. Figure I'd start from the "best of the best" (even if you think that's lame) and see where that takes me. I hate a lot of things that are "universally praised" too so maybe I phrased it wrong.

Edit: But I do think I will spend the time checking out individual posts through this thread and find stuff that sounds good to me based on that.

Shaneus

Hey, easy on the rookie! We don't tell newcomers what to think, merely make recommendations and let them see the light for themselves :)

Anyway, thinking about something GrumpyAlien might be into, I had to look something up and I didn't realise Chromeo's new album came out this week! I don't know how it's reviewed, but the previews for the album and the lead single have been incredibly promising.

Chromeo isn't much of a stretch for what you might be into, but should be different/interesting enough to lead you into this rabbit hole of a thread ;)

Fake edit: lol, it's not even "officially" available for purchase here in Australia yet. Lame. Guess I'll have to find a way around that, then.

Real edit: This is the trailer I was talking about. If you like that, I'm sure you'll love the new album (and all their other stuff).

Fuck running Traktor via CDJS, had the worst time ever trying to make that shit work and it would just lock up, refuse to cue, refuse to play and was just fucking awful.

Was supposed to be showing off abit of the stuff we play in the small venue we have booked but it was just horrendous. Next time throw the cdjs out the window and go vinyl/timecode vinyl I think.

Its like rage at the gear and disappointment that it can go to shit so easily and yet I can jump on tomorrow at my house and everything will be fine.

Could someone recommend me a couple of albums from the last 10 years that are almost universally praised and that might have a similar feel to Daft Punk? I don't really enjoy dubstep though. Thanks.
What if there was an album that fit that but was dubstep eh? but Im guessing you mean the popular kind (skrillex etc)

On a limb that fits last ten years, praised but is "proper" dubstep
Kryptic Minds - One Of Us

Kode 9 & The Spaceape - Curious (From Memories of the future LP

Hey, easy on the rookie! We don't tell newcomers what to think, merely make recommendations and let them see the light for themselves :)

Anyway, thinking about something GrumpyAlien might be into, I had to look something up and I didn't realise Chromeo's new album came out this week! I don't know how it's reviewed, but the previews for the album and the lead single have been incredibly promising.

Chromeo isn't much of a stretch for what you might be into, but should be different/interesting enough to lead you into this rabbit hole of a thread ;)

Fake edit: lol, it's not even "officially" available for purchase here in Australia yet. Lame. Guess I'll have to find a way around that, then.

Real edit: This is the trailer I was talking about. If you like that, I'm sure you'll love the new album (and all their other stuff).

Listened to a bit of em' and can see why it was recommended. Sounds fun and full of that variety I liked in the recent Daft Punk. Nice retro feel from what I can tell. Can't wait to drive/run/draw to this stuff!

But yeah, I certainly plan on digging deeper and finding what works for me. 300 pages kinda scares me, but at the end of the road I will probably come out ahead with a whole new world of music to listen to.
What if there was an album that fit that but was dubstep eh? but Im guessing you mean the popular kind (skrillex etc)

On a limb that fits last ten years, praised but is "proper" dubstep
Kryptic Minds - One Of Us

Kode 9 & The Spaceape - Curious (From Memories of the future LP

Loved that first one. I guess I only know the bombastic stuff I hear in obnoxious game trailers or whatever, but that sounded really nice. Not as keen on the second one though.

okno

Fuck running Traktor via CDJS, had the worst time ever trying to make that shit work and it would just lock up, refuse to cue, refuse to play and was just fucking awful.

Was supposed to be showing off abit of the stuff we play in the small venue we have booked but it was just horrendous. Next time throw the cdjs out the window and go vinyl/timecode vinyl I think.

Its like rage at the gear and disappointment that it can go to shit so easily and yet I can jump on tomorrow at my house and everything will be fine.

Agggghhh yeah that's awful. Next time, if you're on Pioneer CDJs just install Rekordbox on your laptop and do it that way. Don't even fuck with Traktor if you're not doing timecode/MIDI.

Sooooo I just got hired on at Scissor & Thread today! Really, really stoked to be chosen to be part of the staff! In honor of this, I'm throwing down some shit live right now while having myself a cocktail. Come on by and say hi: http://mixlr.com/fruitpreservative/

Shaneus

Sooooo I just got hired on at Scissor & Thread today! Really, really stoked to be chosen to be part of the staff! In honor of this, I'm throwing down some shit live right now while having myself a cocktail. Come on by and say hi: http://mixlr.com/fruitpreservative/
Holy fucking shit!!! Congratulations :)
Blocked at work, though. But eh... nice work, dude!

Listened to a bit of em' and can see why it was recommended. Sounds fun and full of that variety I liked in the recent Daft Punk. Nice retro feel from what I can tell. Can't wait to drive/run/draw to this stuff!

But yeah, I certainly plan on digging deeper and finding what works for me. 300 pages kinda scares me, but at the end of the road I will probably come out ahead with a whole new world of music to listen to.
Protip: Don't try and catch up on the entire 300 pages. Hell, I'd be wary of going over the last 10! I've seen some of my early posts in this thread and they're kind of shameful... better off asking people for recommendations than trying to filter through that much music. Despite being a regular, I know even I don't keep tabs with everything everyone posts.

Have you tried listening to Daft Punk's earlier albums as well? If you liked any of those, throwing those out there might give us a better idea of what you might be into :)

Protip: Don't try and catch up on the entire 300 pages. Hell, I'd be wary of going over the last 10! I've seen some of my early posts in this thread and they're kind of shameful... better off asking people for recommendations than trying to filter through that much music. Despite being a regular, I know even I don't keep tabs with everything everyone posts.

Have you tried listening to Daft Punk's earlier albums as well? If you liked any of those, throwing those out there might give us a better idea of what you might be into :)

Yeah, that might be too much of an ordeal. I think I will just follow the thread daily and see what pops up.

-Discovery is probably my favorite one of all. I consider it to be one of my most listened to albums ever.

-Homework was kinda messy at times and didn't do much for me besides "Alive" which I loved. Most of it was kinda annoying. But I would totally listen to stuff like Alive in a heartbeat.

-Human After All. I remember hating when it came out but "Human After All", "Robot Rock" and "Steam Machine" are the ones I like from my most recent listen. Some of the stuff like "Technologic" just sounds annoying.

Haven't heard the Tron Legacy OST.

Dreaver

Yeah, that might be too much of an ordeal. I think I will just follow the thread daily and see what pops up.

-Discovery is probably my favorite one of all. I consider it to be one of my most listened to albums ever.

-Homework was kinda messy at times and didn't do much for me besides "Alive" which I loved. Most of it was kinda annoying. But I would totally listen to stuff like Alive in a heartbeat.

-Human After All. I remember hating when it came out but "Human After All", "Robot Rock" and "Steam Machine" are the ones I like from my most recent listen. Some of the stuff like "Technologic" just sounds annoying.

Haven't heard the Tron Legacy OST.
A top of my head what might be worth checking out for you: Danger, Kavinsky (last album), Justice, SebastiAn, Digitalism.

Shaneus

Yeah, unless you're super into everything DP does, finding out what of theirs you like (and don't) always serves as a great palm-reading into what you're going to like. Loving Discovery is obviously the biggest tip-off there, pretty sure you'll adore anything Chromeo does with knowing that little tidbit of info.

Dreaver's on-point, too. I can't think of any more right now, but that should give you a good leg up.

HiResDes

I'm not a fan but I'm surprised no one has suggested Kavinsky to the Daft Punk fan. And although I don't know if it's critically acclaimed, I'd personally recommend checking out Anidea by Guido

I'm not a fan but I'm surprised no one has suggested Kavinsky to the Daft Punk fan. And although I don't know if it's critically acclaimed, I'd personally recommend checking out Anidea by Guido

I think Dreaver already did. Not sure I can add much to the suggestions but maybe some Matthew Dear?

Shlohmo was great the two times I saw him, really wish I could see him with Jeremih though.

HiResDes

Matthew Dear has a Gothic element not present in the stuff he likes, but if he does Jaar's Space is Only Noise would be a natural jumping off point

Top Bottom